Addie Watson Chambers

2 Nov 1882 - 21 Dec 1972

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Addie Watson Chambers

2 Nov 1882 - 21 Dec 1972
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Addie Watson Chambers (2 Nov 1882 - 21 Dec 1972) at Smithfield City Cemetery in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Addie Watson Chambers
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Addie Watson Chambers


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


April 28, 2012


April 2, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Addie Watson...

We found more records about Addie Watson Chambers.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Addie Watson


Addie Watson Chambers is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Addie Watson Chambers- Life Sketch

Colaborador: JerryDWilson Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

SHORT LIFE SKETCH OF ADDIE WATSON CHAMBERS Born - November 2, 1888, Richmond, Utah Died - December 21, 1972, Smithfield, Utah Addie was the second child and the first daughter of Hyram {Hiram} Abiff Watson, Jr., and his second wife, Addie Jane Wildman. Addie was born November 2, 1888, in the upstairs of the tithing office in Richmond, Utah. In the spring after Addie was born Hiram took his wife and two children and contracted with the railroad to lay tracks in Washington and Oregon. In that same year, Glenn drowned and was buried in Farmington, Washington. Addie spent most of her early childhood in Rexburg where she watched the men lay the first railroad tracks. She remembers Teddy Roosevelt coming to Rexburg to campaign for the Vice-Presidency. It wasn‟t long after that when President McKinley and Roosevelt took office. Then came the shocking news of the assignation of President McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt became the President. As a young girl she had a friend by the name of Jennie. They used to work out in the fields, thinning or topping sugar beets or picking up spuds for Jen‟s dad. When her dad left the girls to go do something, Addie said, “We would monkey, play, and fool around all the time he was gone. Then just before he came back we would get busy. When he appeared on the scene he would say, „You two girls are the best workers I have ever seen,‟ and I would feel like bowing my head and running and hiding.” One day Addie said that her and Jen were out in the barn and Addie said, “Which cow should I milk?” Jen said, “It doesn‟t make any difference.” Addie said, “I‟ll milk this old blue cow, she never kicks.” So I sat down and started to milk the cow. As I was milking the cow, I‟ll be if the cow didn‟t kick the bucket and it went flinging across the barn. As a young girl the family was so poor that Addie didn‟t have shoes to wear to church. So she would sit on the ditch bank outside the church window and listen to the speakers preach the gospel. Her favorite speaker was Brother Benny Rich who was formerly a mission president. She said, “He was the grandest speaker I ever heard, he really had a powerful testimony.” One thing the kids used to do in them days that they don‟t do now is “tick-tacking.” They would take a large empty spool of thread, notch it on both ends, and put a large nail in the center. Next they would take heavy string or twine and wind it around the spool. Then they would put the spool on a glass window pane and someone would hold it there while another person would take a hold of the string that was wrapped around the spool and run away from the window with it. This would make a loud screeching noise and would frighten Page 2 everyone in the house. The kids would run and hide and the people would look all over for them. “Boy did we ever have fun tick-tacking.” Addie said, “Years ago it used to snow, I mean really snow. I‟d say five or six feet and us kids sure had fun sleigh riding.” I remember one day in a spelling bee at school, I went to the top of the class spelling S-L-E-I-G-H. When Addie was a young girl their beds were padded with long stocks of straw put in what they called a straw tick. A tick is simply a white cloth sack similar to a sugar sack, only larger. The sack was the same size as your bed. Anybody would let you have some straw to fill your bed. Whenever they had company stay overnight, all they did was fill a straw tick and put it on the floor. One day Joe and Alfonzo, Addie‟s brothers, emptied and refilled all the ticks in the house with fresh straw. The ticks had to have fresh straw in them two or three times a year. The morning after the boys had filled the ticks they were laughing and giggling, so their mother made them tell why they were carrying on so. When the boys had filled Margaret and Addie‟s ticks, they had put several mice in them. So they looked at the ticks and found there were several holes in both ticks. The mice had eaten their way out during the night. As a child, Addie had the dreadful disease of typhoid fever. Her mother called for the Elders, they administered to her, and she was healed. Addie remembers when Indians came to beg for food and the kids would hide behind the door until they were gone. Her mother always gave the Indians something to eat. At the age of seventeen Addie had a girl friend, May Chambers. One night Addie noticed that May‟s brother, Theo, followed her home. Then after eleven months of courting, on December 5, 1906, Addie and Theo were married in the Logan Temple. Theo was the son of Theophilus Chambers, Sr. and Angelina Sheen. In celebration of the wedding, Aunt Maude Roskelley baked a pigeon pie and made a fruit cake. The pigeon was a pet of her son Lorenzo and he had to leave the room while they ate it. Addie said she didn‟t have much of a trousseau, but she made a rag rug. She had a couple pair of pillow slips and a sheet. Her mother gave some cloth and they made a quilt. She also had to make their temple garments; you couldn‟t buy factory made garments in those days. A few members of the family gave Addie and Theo wedding gifts, but they didn‟t have much when they started. Theo had a nice buggy and he always had good horses. While they were courting and when they were first married, he had a beautiful bay horse. They could out run every horse and buggy in town. Whenever they raced they always won. When Lawrence was a baby and the three of them would go for a ride in the buggy, he would be asleep in Addie‟s lap and Theo would start clucking to get the horses to go. When Lawrence heard his dad clucking he would raise up and watch. Theo said, “That proves he‟s a boy!” But, it wasn‟t long after Page 3 Theo and Addie were married that Theo traded his horse and buggy for a pair of work horses. When Addie and Theo were first married, they rented a home that her Grandfather Wildman owned. Then they built a two room yellow brick house on the corner of third south and first west in Smithfield, Utah. This is where Lawrence {1907}, William {1909}, DeMar {1911-1912}, Don {1912}, Fern {1915}, Lynn {1918}, Glen {1920}, Eldon {1922-1924}, Thelma {1925}, and Mara Mae {1927} were all born. This home didn‟t have much furniture and they used wooden boxes for clothes closets. The house only had two rooms; it seemed that it wasn‟t hard to get the kids bathed. They had to bath in front of the old coal stove, where the hot water was easily obtained so they didn‟t have to carry it. When it came time for Theo and Addie to bath, they had company come to hear the graph-a-phone. They had one of the first graph-a-phones in town. It came with twelve records and it had to be wound up before each record. They used to trade records with their neighbors. People don‟t realize today how they felt when the coal stove replaced the wood stove. Wood burns so fast, but you could put coal in the stove in the evening before going to bed, then get up in the morning, shake the grade, and the fire would be hot enough to cook breakfast on. They thought this was a great advancement. Then in 1948, Addie got her first electric stove, which was an even greater improvement over the coal stove. When Addie lived at home with her mother, they didn‟t have much to cook with; but when she married Theo, they could afford pepper and other spices so she had to learn to cook all over again. Addie has always kept a good clean home. This is something that her mother taught her to do. Soon after Theo and Addie were married, Theo got a couple of cows and they started to send milk. The first milk check they got wasn‟t much, neither was the second or third one. So Theo and Addie went to Richmond where the factory was, they waited and waited to be helped, finally about noon it became their turn. The bookkeeper proceeded to excuse himself for lunch. Theo said, “Say look here, I‟ve sent a full can of milk for three months, and have not been getting my money for it. You‟re not going a step until you find out where my milk check is going!” Each can was numbered so the bookkeeper got down to business. He found out that their milk was getting credited to John Covey who had been bragging about his cow nearly being dry and sending so much milk. When finally settled, Addie and Theo got $16, before that they had only received about $4. One of the checks they received was for only 60 cents. Addie and Theo lived in the old yellow brick home for about 21 years, and their family was getting larger so they decided to build another house. In July of 1920, they started to dig the foundation. After we got Theo‟s name on the contract, I talked to the contractor about building an upstairs and the contractor said „where would you put the staircase, and I said oh we will find a place‟ and we did. We put it where there was supposed to be a linen closet. I got Jimmy, the contractor, to talk Theo into it. It cost us about $400 more. I also talked the Page 4 contractor into putting an extra foot in the back entrance, kitchen, and dining room. Now I wish I had talked him into putting an extra foot in the living room and south bedroom, but I didn‟t think of it until it was too late. When it came time to choose the brick for the house, I told Theo that he always said that he wouldn‟t have an old ford. I wanted the blue brick because it was the best. Theo said ok and I hurried to the phone and called the contractor and told him that we would take the blue brick, so the contractor and all his boys went out and got drunk. I am grateful and proud of my home. It is a good home, and it was well built! It was in this house that Mara Mae {1927} was born. The rest of the children were born in the Logan Hospital – Beth {1930}, Donna Fae {1933} and Karren {1936}. It was in this same house that her husband, Theo, died in 1962. Addie still lives in her blue brick house, and enjoys it and her large yard. I am very proud and thankful for my large family! Theo and Addie are the parents of 13 children – Lawrence Theo, James William, DeMar, Don Wesley, Erma Fern, Joseph Lynn, Glen, Eldon Rex, Thelma, Mara Mae, Beth, Donna Fae, and Karren LaRae, 11 of which are still living. As of August 1970, she had 53 grandchildren, 53 great grandchildren, and 3 great great grandchildren. A total of 121 descendants, 114 of them are still living. Addie and Theo‟s oldest son, Lawrence, married Caroline Egan, and they had five children. William went into the service and was one of the soldiers that went to the peace conference of World War II with President Roosevelt. He married Mildred Unsworth and they have five children. Her third son, DeMar, died at the age of two months with whooping cough. Don served a mission in Canada and married Lois Sorensen. They have five children. Lois passed away in 1969 and Don married Flora Tanner. Fern married Gordon Kraus and they have six children. Lynn married Ethel Leonhart and they had two children. Glen went into the service and was a CeeBee. He married Lois Ravensten and they have three children. Addie‟s eighth child, Eldon, died two years after he was born with diarrhea. Thelma married Letho Speth and they have six children. Mara Mae married Johnny Albonico, a serviceman, and they have two children. Beth married Kenneth Speth and they have six children. Donna Fae married Jere Dale Hodges, a serviceman, and they have five children. Karren married Robert Thalman, a serviceman, and they had eight children. In December 1956, Theo and Addie were honored by their family and friends by an open house in celebration of their Golden Wedding Anniversary. In November of 1968, Addie was honored with an open house to celebrate her 80th birthday. Addie was the Smithfield Second Ward representative to sell the Relief Society Magazine for three years. She was honored by the Stake for having 100 percent of the sisters in the ward subscribing. The sisters that were not much interested in the Relief Society Magazine, who would not by the magazine, received a gift subscription from Addie because she knew it would do them some good. Page 5 At age 82, Addie keeps busy and is gracefully aging by weaving hair pieces, making quilts, and caring for her flowers and raspberries. Addie is certainly enjoying and making the best of her elderly years. She enjoys her children when they come home, and she travels once in a while to visit them. She finds that these trips are short, because she has too much to do at home and is always anxious to get home to accomplish the tasks awaiting her exceptional abilities. She is very talented and spends hours weaving hair pieces, wiglets, and switches from human hair for people all over the intermountain west. She has even woven from foreign countries. Addie has been a faithful Smithfield Second and Third Ward quilter for years. She has also made numerous quilts in her own home. She said, “I was surprised one day when one of my grandsons was making such a fuss over one of my quilts that I was quilting.” So I decided that when the boys got married I would make and give them a quilt too. Up until that time, I had only been making them for the girls, but I decided that the boys liked them too. Several of Addie‟s friends and family have said that she should charge more for the hair pieces and quilts that she made. She charges very little in proportion to the hours of skilled labor she spends making them. She replies by saying, “That is not part of our religion to charge more than you think you ought to.” Information for this sketch was related by Addie to her grandson, Jack Chambers. At Addie‟s request, most of it was written in second person, because Addie is very modest about her talented abilities. It was written in the summer of 1970. The following was taken from the Working Girls section of the Herald Journal, printed on July 23, 1970. It was entitled, “Mother Taught Her to Make Hair Pieces.” It was written by Theoda Downs. An art learned from her mother many years ago, has become quite a business for Mrs. Addie Chambers, of Smithfield, who last year made some 400 hair pieces. As a girl her mother taught her to make “switches” from human hair for women who needed that extra bit to look just right. In 1914, as a married woman, Mrs. Chambers started making them on her own. Business fell off in the 20s when the ladies cut their hair, but since the present popularity of the wig, she finds there is a great demand for the product. Mrs. Chambers gave us a demonstration as we visited with her at her work table, where she attached some special wooden gadgets to each end of the small table. Strings were tightened between the pegs and adjusted just right until they sounded almost like the strings of a musical instrument as she plucked them with her experienced fingers. Now she was ready to begin. The hair she was about to use was a lovely blonde color and was fairly long. The hair must be combed first to remove shorter broken strands. To do this, she used two blocks to which metal teeth were attached. “These resemble the old wool combs we used years ago to card wool,” she told us. The locks of hair, now resembling a pony tail, were placed with one end between the comb blocks and a weight placed on top, with the other end of the hair hanging over the front of the table. As she began, she pulled just a few strands of hair, and leaving about a half to three-fourths inch at the end, she began a weaving process on the string between the wooden pegs, then pushed it along the string to the left side and placed a clothespin to hold it in place. She picked up another few strands and quickly repeated the Page 6 process. It wasn‟t long until she had a nice neat line of hair all attached and hanging in a straight line ready to be put together. This process is completed with special thread and sewn together at the crown row after row until a circle is formed just the right size. The one we saw was about the size of the bottom of a drinking glass. In sewing them together, she uses a stitch she has perfected. A display board on the wall contained half a dozen hair pieces of different colors and different lengths. They were hanging from the side where they are woven and then sewn together. As Mrs. Chambers lifted the different hair pieces from the board for us to see and flipped them over her hand, we were amazed to see a head of hair appear. They use them all different ways she said, “Some like curls on top, others want more length or curls in the back, some want to match their own hair, and others want completely different colors.” We were interested in the source of supply. We learned that it can be purchased from companies, but that she more often works on hair brought in by the individual. It must be clean and fairly long. She buys hair too, and often advertises for it. This practice brought a bit of a problem recently when a relative had placed an advertisement in an Idaho newspaper for her. She received a letter from a “hippie” offering his hair and beard. This caused her some concern wondering if he would just drop in sometime. That was one offer I didn‟t follow on, she said. Mrs. Chambers has also had some interesting experiences demonstrating to various groups, the way she makes her hair pieces. Addie, as most of her friends and neighbors call her, is nearing 82 years of age, and has been a widow for eight years. She has needed, therefore, not only something to keep her busy, but something with which to make ends meet. As we see her caring for home and flowers, we have a hard time believing her age. She is interested and active still and takes pride in her lovely garden. She still quilts and is a regular attender at Relief Society, MIA, and the other ward meetings. Addie enjoys life and is truly an example of one of those people making the most of those “Golden Years.”

Life timeline of Addie Watson Chambers

Addie Watson Chambers was born on 2 Nov 1882
Addie Watson Chambers was 13 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Addie Watson Chambers was 23 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Addie Watson Chambers was 34 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Addie Watson Chambers was 38 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Addie Watson Chambers was 57 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Addie Watson Chambers was 59 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
Addie Watson Chambers was 73 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Addie Watson Chambers was 81 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Addie Watson Chambers died on 21 Dec 1972 at the age of 90
Grave record for Addie Watson Chambers (2 Nov 1882 - 21 Dec 1972), BillionGraves Record 964409 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States