Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker

18 May 1913 - 8 Feb 1987

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker

18 May 1913 - 8 Feb 1987
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker (18 May 1913 - 8 Feb 1987) at Smithfield City Cemetery in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


April 24, 2012


April 15, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Ann Pitkin Palmer...

We found more records about Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Ann Pitkin Palmer


Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Jack's life story

Colaborador: guthrm Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

August 28, 1990 Jack’s Life Story Now in my 80th year I wish I had the words to express well how greatly blessed I truly am to have known three great loves during my stay here on this beautiful earth. The first period covers about the first 25 years of my life which began on July 19, 1911 in Quincy, Massachusetts in the apartment where my Dad and Mom were living. He was a teacher in the high school there. During the next 5 years of which I have little memory we moved four times as needed for my Dad’s change in occupation and the arrival of two brothers and one sister. My memories really begin in 1918 after the arrival of one more brother and the move to South Amherst, Massachusetts, over to the eastern side of Pioneer Valley with the beautiful valley stretching away to the western hills. We also had more hills to the east, north and south. We had a well built home which had steam heat, bathroom facilities, several bedrooms up stairs and a large living room, music room and kitchen with an Ell section running 90 degrees to one side with a couple of rooms and a two car garage. Across the street was a large New England barn with stalls for our 4 horses, a place for our 2 cows and many bins and lofts and a scaffold where we could store hay. Almost attached on the front south corner was an ice house about 16 feet square. I can’t remember whether we harvested ice the first winter or later but I clearly remember going with my Dad on a wood sled with our team to a pond which was about 1 mile away, probably in the month of February. How many of you can match this experience as a youngster of drilling a hole in the corner of an area then sawing blocks of ice about 2 feet square. If it had been a good cold winter, it might have been 10 to 12 inches thick. After sawing the blocks they were loaded on the sled and we made our way homeward where we cleaned the sawdust out of the ice house, leaving a good layer on the dirt floor for insulation. Then we unloaded the ice leaving about an 8 inch space around the walls and filled the space with sawdust. Before putting another layer of ice blocks in we had to put another layer of sawdust on top of the first. In this way we stored ice against our need for our “icebox” in our home for the next summer. So begins my life and my first love, – a love for life. Actually this love was compounded of many loves experienced through my boyhood, youth and early manhood. These include: love of life, love of family, love of nature, love of rural communities, love of church, love of music, love of poetry, and love for wholesome outdoor recreation. Combine all these in a youngster who is an inveterate day-dreamer, one who wasn’t all that out-going by nature. As a family we all had a share in the chores and special work projects. We raised berries, grapes, plums, and cherries for the home plus 1500 to 2000 bushels of apples of several varieties. We had a hen coop out west of the house a ways, which held about 300 laying hems. I helped with the poultry, brother Bob helped with the milking, and we all helped as we could keeping the farm going. We set out pans of milk in the pantry from which we skimmed the cream and made our own butter. Mom was a great cook, baked her own bread and put up much fruit, vegetables and preserves from our garden. For our recreation in the spring, summer and fall we could play ball on the field north of our home or often Mom would drive us down to the old swimmin’ hole where we all learned to swim and dive. In the winter we could go skating when we found clear ice. But our most enjoyable sport was coasting on sleds usually on top of a hardened snow crust. At times these could coast a distance of ½ mile from where we started. Of course we all attended school in the community for the first 8 grades. To get there we walked a half mile. By the time we were in high school we had to walk 1 ½ miles to catch a trolley which took us 2 miles into town. I enjoyed school, partly maybe because I could do well, being an honor student. I began taking music lessons on the piano and would continue this for about 10 ½ years. I also had about 3 years of organ lessons. I sang in the church choir and the Glee Club at High School. My mother loved music and she and Dad had each family member playing an instrument so by the time I was in high school we formed a family orchestra, which rehearsed once a week. To augment our group we invited in a number of our neighbors who played instruments and all together we did pretty well. I served as conductor of this orchestra and I am sure that these experiences were important in helping to build by love for music. During these years I was also active in drama of various kinds and urged on by my mother I grew to have a real appreciation of poetry “the classics”. This was helped along by my experiences in high school where we studied 4 years of English, 4 years of general math, including algebra and geometry, 2 years of Latin, 2 years of French, 1 year each of physics and chemistry. How do you think your young people would face up to that kind of schedule? In my late teens I got a kick out of composing verses from time to time. I have had copies made of three of these which are pretty much self-explanatory. Maybe some of you could share with me the feelings from a beloved “old plug”, our typical farm horse, Bill. When I saw the cartoon shown here I was thinking of Bill as I wrote these few lines. If any horse was ever slow and deliberate it was Bill, but he could keep going until you wore out. All of these interests were topped off with our social life in the community, centered around the South Congregational Church where we were active members and where we worshiped regularly at church services and Sunday School on Sunday mornings. On reaching high school age we were invited to join the young peoples group “Christian Endeavor”. On the 4th of July we held our annual Sunday School picnic to which the whole community was invited. It was held at a lovely lake nestled in the woods over the mountain to the south about six to eight miles. Here we could enjoy swimming, boating, games and canoeing. Come noon time we all gathered at big picnic tables for lunch, topped off with watermelon and ice cream. I hope that by now most of you can feel with me that this was a great and wonderful experience based upon a family life where we all worked together, played together, worshiped together, enjoying our wonderful rural community life, all shared together in that beautiful picturesque setting, topped off each fall with the brilliant colors, then as these blew away with the winds of winter we enjoyed that special experience of closeness watching our world close in with the falling snow of winter. How could a boy raised here not feel great love for the Heavenly Father who made it all possible. In the fall of 1928 I enrolled as a freshman at U Mass (originally Massachusetts Agricultural College, then later Massachusetts State College and now University of Massachusetts). I took general courses for two years. I had opportunities to serve as organist at chapels and assemblies and to accompany Glee Club. I also took part in the drama society, and as an active member of Sigma Epsilon fraternity. Since I did not work at my studies as I should have my grades were poorer than in high school. By the fall of 1930 I knew I did not want to continue college there so after inquiring into programs available I transferred to Oberlin College in Ohio, attending mostly classes in the Conservatory of Music, an outstanding school of its kind in the U.S. I learned much more about music here but at the end of 3 semesters I realized that it was leading to a life time as a music teacher in a school room. I returned home to the farm and during the next few years worked there with intervals away from home where I got together with two friends in Philadelphia and formed a partnership with them doing painting, paper hanging, plumbing, electrical work and minor carpentry repairs. Remember, this was depression times and work did not come easily. I also worked some months in a settlement house doing social service work. Later after a summer working at home I went to Boston where I got a job with a newspaper, The Boston Evening Transcript, in the advertising department. I also attended Bryant & Stratton Commercial College in the evening. By spring I was ready to return to the farm where I helped my Dad in his business. This closes the first phase of my life story. The second began in the spring of 1937, Easter time. Visiting with my family that weekend my sister and brother spoke several times about a mutual friend in Boston named Ann Palmer. Learning that she was active in the young peoples group in their church in Boston, I asked my sister if she thought Ann would come up to Amherst on a blind date. She replied she would be glad to ask her. Word came back from sister Esther that Ann would be glad to come up so my Mother wrote a proper invitation. I met her at the train station in Springfield, Mass about 20 miles from our home. All I knew was that she had been described as a cute, short blonde. With both of us looking we found each other quickly, went to the car, and set out for home. That was on April 30, 1937. I had invitations to two dancing parties, one on that night and one on the night following. Try to imagine pulling off a plan like this, importing a charming and lovely new girl into our different community circles. She was a smasher. Everyone wanted to trade dances with us. I couldn’t help but be elated as I’m sure you can imagine. The next morning after breakfast she went to help me with some of my farm chores. Saturday evening, May 1st, we returned to the second party which was a repeat of the first night but with a different crowd. Sunday she joined our family, attending church together, we had dinner at home and I took her to the Boston bound train at Palmer, Mass and she took off for Boston. I really fell for that lovely girl. Here were my day dreams actually coming true. During the next three weeks she spent two weekends in Amherst and I made one trip to Boston to celebrate her birthday on May 18. When she reached Amherst on May 22 we went driving in the morning out on some of our country roads, apple trees in full blossom bordered both sides. I pulled off to one side there and told her that I couldn’t imagine my future life without her as my companion. She responded saying that she felt the same way, too. Before we returned to my home we agreed to keep our engagement secret for a week at least. Then followed a story book romance, ending when we were married in Ann’s home church at Stockbridge, Mass with many family members and friends present. After a brief honeymoon we returned to my father’s farm on Bay Road where we started our first home. A year and a half later John P arrived to join us and it wasn’t long before Ann and Bob arrived. In 1940 I worked during the winter at a music store in Holyoke, Mass where I helped in the selling of pianos, electric organs, instruments, music and records. I also demonstrated and serviced organs and pianos. By spring I was anxious to return to the farm. By now my Dad and I had decided that things would work out better if we rented the farm from him, bought chickens from him and raised them to maturity, then sold them back. Since we were buying feed and doing the work we were establishing credit which was not an easy thing in those days. After this we proceeded to organize a business of our own, working with my Dad and helping him on his orchard project. By this time he had purchased a 3rd farm which was mostly in orchard. We had an orchard on our farm also. Our 2000 bushel crop and his 8000 bushel crop made care of the orchards, harvesting and selling a real challenge. I have suggested that all our lives we have been greatly blessed. We did make fine progress but not without some trials. In December 1943 we had a major fire, a building that was quite new was completely destroyed with the flocks of chickens that were in it. In spite of this set back by the next fall we were working on a replacement building that would hold more than 2 ½ times the number of breeders the former one did. We had also arranged to purchase the farm and we took over the hatchery that my Father had operated for years and started a pedigree breeding program. I should mention that by now we had a staff of about six helping with the different phases of the work. So ends the second phase of the three loves. We were now a happy, proud couple with 3 children. All of us were enjoying our life there on the farm. We were active in community affairs and very active in the life of our South Congregational Church. We were also very involved in poultry organizations, in Farm Bureau and other civic interests. In February 1948 we began the biggest change in our life as a family, we were introduced to the missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. On a Wednesday evening we had our first contact and on Thursday they came to our home and brought us more up to date. On Friday evening there was a cottage meeting at the home of good friends which we attended. When we returned home and were getting ready to retire I said to Ann something like, “I don’t know just how to say this, but I think this is what I’ve been looking for all my life”. Now if you had asked me Wednesday afternoon whether I felt any emptiness in my life, if there was any part of my life which was not fulfilling, I would have laughed and told you that nothing was missing in my life, that I was riding on the crest of a wave. What’s more, I would have meant it! This was the beginning of a marvelous experience in which I led and all of the family lovingly followed. Everything the Elders told us made sense to me. I fell in love all over again, not displacing Ann at all but even making her more important than ever. I fell in love with the gospel. We attended many meetings but soon they did not include any local friends. We read new scriptures which were wonderful. We started attending branch meetings in Springfield, the same city where I had met Ann 11 years before. We were soon surrounded with a host of new friends. We became so involved that we decided to be baptized on June 2nd. Of course we were also confirmed. Before long I had the privilege of receiving my ordination as a Deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood. As we continued our regular attendance at meetings in Springfield and increased our knowledge of the new scriptures I was ordained a Priest. Not long afterward I was ordained an Elder and received the Melchizedek Priesthood. By now we had become acquainted with many of the missionaries in the area. I was very impatient to fulfill the one year waiting period before going to the Temple. President Dilworth Young of the New England Mission interviewed us shortly before we left on a trip to Salt Lake City. We had prepared family records in advance so that after we received our own endowments, were sealed together and had our three children sealed to us, we then began work for beloved family members. We were treated like visiting royalty by missionaries who had returned home and by many of their families. We were able to take in sessions of the MIA conference in the tabernacle. I can’t begin to relate all the things we did. I can just tell you it was really overwhelming. Two days later we had traveled to Logan to do the ordinances for my Mother’s parents and the following evening at Idaho Falls we did the same for my Father’s parents. From there we were vacation bound. Northeast to visit the Grand Tetons and from there we went on into Yellowstone. If I remember correctly, during our tour of Yellowstone we saw at least 60 bears, something we could not repeat today. From there we went out the Northeast entrance to Red Lodge, Mt, then to Cowley, Wy to spend several days with the family of another Elder. Sunday afternoon I had the chance to attend my first Stake Priesthood Meeting where I was asked to bear my testimony. From there we headed for home by the quickest route possible arriving in early July. Three weeks later our daughter Cynthia was born. Yes, Ann had traveled over 5000 miles without a complaint, Bless Her Heart! By now we were very involved in our business as we tried to capitalize on the progress we had made in our poultry breeding program. A national food chain had offered money for prizes for entries who were judged to have the best meat type characteristics. There were local and state contests in which we were entered with our stock. Because we did well in placing our entries high in 1948 and 1949 we were invited to submit an entry in a regional contest held in 1950 in Penn. This included all New England, New York, Penn, & New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. At the conclusion our entry was judged to be the best so I flew down to Harrisburg to receive the award. About this time our youngest daughter Debbie was born. As a further result we were invited to submit an entry to be handled by the Univ of Arkansas in a nationwide contest. Forty breeders of poultry in the United States had entries here. At the time of the announcement of winners we received a telegram from our state poultry extension specialist saying that our entry had placed high among the winners and suggested that I fly down. A couple of days later at the ceremony we were announced as the 5th place winner and I received the award from Vice President Barkley of the United States. From there I took off for Denver and Salt Lake City. We had already decided to close our business in Massachusetts and move to Utah. This was the second time I had traveled to assess the business opportunities. This time I stayed 9 weeks. I traveled all over the state trying to familiarize key people in the poultry business with what we had to offer. When I returned we made definite plans to move in the summer of 1952. I came out the 1st of April and made arrangements to rent poultry houses and install equipment that I had brought from home. Then I met shipments of chicks flown in from Amherst by Blondie as we started to build up our flock here. I returned home in June and made plans to continue the operation there with several of our key employees there doing the work and running the business. With this accomplished we took off with a flat bed truck loaded high and a Suburban. We were fortunate to have arranged for three returning missionaries to help us in driving. We stopped en route at Palmyra, NY, Carthage and Nauvoo. For most meals we bought supplies at markets along the way and stopped at picnic areas to eat. We had a comfortable trip and arrived at our new home, 1011 North 800 East in Logan. The years that have followed have been rewarding and have given us many memorable opportunities. Our children have grown and matured and have had opportunities for college training. We have all of us been very active in the church. First in the 19th ward of the East Cache Stake. We have built a poultry business here and then, 11 years later, decided to phase it out. In the last of the 1950's we purchased this farm in North Logan and in 1963 planned for this home and built it. In the years that we have lived here as a family we have come to cherish our blessings enjoyed here. Our children have grown up and established homes of their own. We have good reason to be proud of our children. They have been blessed with strong bodies, keen minds, buoyant spirits and many talents. As a family we have been wonderfully blessed. We have traveled all over the United States mostly together, have visited many famous historic sites as well as many associated with the church history. We have never owned a boat, water skies, or snow mobile. We have concentrated on traveling and in the process have visited friends and families from coast to coast. Our children have also had the opportunity with us to visit beaches on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. Two of our children served missions and my sweet heart and I served a short term mission in Arkansas. As we have grown in the church over the years I have made a remarkable discovery, – that I had had a great love for my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ from childhood. I had not really been aware of this but since joining the church I have really come to feel it. I have told you that I fell in love with the gospel and since becoming involved with the church I have come to love and appreciate what it is accomplishing in the world. So I would reiterate, – within the bonds of our family love is our love for Heavenly Father and His Son, for the gospel and for the church and I believe I can truly say, for our fellow men. I look forward eagerly to the next great adventure. I feel as though I were cramming for my finals as I prepare for this. Among my favorite scriptures is the one in which Paul says, “If, in this life only, we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable”. Another one is 1st Corinthians 13 ending, “And now abideth faith, hope, and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity”. I invite you husbands to join me in these great loves. When you return home next time I would challenge each of you to tell your wife that she is beautiful. By this I don’t necessarily mean good looking or attractive. I am talking about a companion such as I had, FULL of beauty, – beautiful thoughts, beautiful ideals, beautiful in every positive way. And don’t forget to dream. My greatest wish for you is that you could make your fondest dreams come true. I pray that this will be your good fortune and blessing in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. Here are three poems that Jack wrote in his youth. Evening Shadows creep across the valley Echoes come from yonder hill, Balmy breezes ever blowing Shake the trees and then are still. While I lie alone in silence Listening to the sounds of night, I can still see o’er the mountain One this shaft of golden light. On the Home Stretch “Come on there, Bill, we’re in the lead,- My Gosh! But you are one fine steed; We’re at the finish, one more sprint And we will have our names in print.” A leap, - a bound, - across the line; “My gosh Bill! But you finished fine!” Autumn Dreams I look around from the top of my hill, While down below me all is still; The sun is setting all aglow, And here and there sweet zephyrs blow. ‘Tis the ending of a perfect day Thru which I have struggled, and now, may Lie in peace with my soul at rest, Like a little bird which is in its nest. Far off on those hills of speckled hue My dearest friend, faithful and true, Awaits my coming, my knock on the door, The sound of my step on the threshold’s floor. Then take me home my God, to rest, - Oh, take me home to my own little nest; To my children, my wife, and all those, who Are resting beyond, under skies of blue. March 24, 1996 by Son John P Schoonmaker Dad didn’t touch on the later years of his life and I wanted to add some to his life’s story by telling of them. I do this not to tell of hardships and adversity, but to tell of what an example of enduring to the end he was. Mark you, I don’t want to indicate that he held on during his later years but that he celebrated life in doing all he could and enjoying those things he did. I moved back to work in Logan and to live in North Logan in 1968. About the time of the Bicentennial in 1976 Dad and Mom decided that they would like to know if anyone would like to continue with the Family Homestead here in North Logan. My brother and sisters were by that time all established in other areas of the State or Country and decided that they loved the place, but wouldn’t return here to live. I had loved the place here since they had first purchased the land and agreed to buy it from them so that it would continue as the Family Homestead; a place where all could return whenever they wanted to visit, rest and be renewed in the comforts of home. In December, 1976 the sale was completed and I moved here to share the home with them. In September, 1978, Nadine and I were married and we moved to River Heights and Dad and Mom lived here by themselves. In 1979 Dad and Mom accepted a mission call and wanted us to move here as it was our place. When they returned from their mission in 1980, we discussed what would work best for all of us and decided that they would return here to our North Logan home and share it with Nadine and Me and two of our three teenage daughters. Dad and Mom had planned to have the orchard for their retirement and had started Schoonmaker Apple Cellar to accomplish this in about 1974. Although this kept Dad and Mom busy for years it was a “front” for what was really happening as I found they just broke even as they paid out any profits in wages. Those wages went to young people that Dad hired to help with the work here. Actually, what he did most of the time was to teach these young people about life and especially about how to work. At the time of his death we received communications from many whose lives or their children’s lives had been positively effected by being taught by Jack! In November 1983, Dad was diagnosed as having Spinal Cerebella Degeneration, which is a deterioration of the nervous system at the base of the brain. First this causes loss of equilibrium but then you continue to lose other motor functions. At the time of this diagnosis they thought that this had probably started about 15 to 20 years before. In June 1984, he got his Palmer Independence Electric Cart which he used pruning, inspecting and in managing the orchard and its operation, to go to the Church House as he did duties as a Ward Clerk for years and just to the canal to enjoy the beauty of the valley, or to visit friends and neighbors. At the time of his death the odometer on this cart showed he had traveled 1691 miles over the years. In 1986, Dad and Mom started on a big family history project. Through the years they had been doing genealogical work and doing work for family in the temple, even collecting generations of photos and having them made into pictorial pedigree charts. Now they started on compiling a pictorial history of our lives for me, my brother and sisters. They went through the thousands of slides they had taken through the years and selected representative ones to use for this history. After Mom was gone our oldest daughter, Rose Ann worked with Dad to complete the project of getting pictures made of these slides and organizing 500 of them into picture albums and indexing them for each of us. The thousand of hours and dollars are a symbol of their continuing concern and love for us. When Mom died February 8, 1987, Dad was sure that he would soon die also, but after a short time he realized that it would be some time before he would again be able to join her. Although by the fall of 1987, he used the wheelchair all the time, he could still use the electric cart, and he continued to help us in the orchard and with the business and also found ways to bring meaning to his life in continued study and service to others. Each morning he had his devotional time when he studied the scriptures (on audio tape), listened to a hymn each day to familiarize himself with the new hymn book, listened to a portion of the Ensign (on audio tape) and said his prayers. He didn’t really say prayers but seemed to converse with the Lord and as he led us in prayer it seemed that we just heard one side of a conversation. As he listened to the Ensign tapes which were on a special slow speed tape, he made copies on a regular cassette tape so that Nadine, my sisters and some of his granddaughters could listen to the articles as they worked or traveled. When it became impossible for him to go to regular church meetings anymore, he had me start recording them and he listened to them as part of his Sunday Worship. As he listened, he also participated by raising his hand to sustain those who might be presented for sustaining on the tape and always said Amen at the end of prayers. As communication became more difficult for Dad, he used video tapes and movies to try to share his feeling and ideals with other. He spent many hours with children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren and each week Sunday with Emily and Heidi Bradley. On Thursday, October 12, 1995 Dad said to me, “Do you think that in the Spring you and Nadine could find a way to take me to see ‘Legacy’ in Salt Lake?” We thought that here was a possibility that he wouldn’t be able to make it in the spring, although Nadine always said that Grandpa is going to live until the millennium and I believed her. We talked to him about going right away and after a few calls arranged to go on Saturday, October 14. That morning Heidi Bradley, Nadine and I loaded Dad into a bed we had made in the back of our Suburban and drove to Salt Lake where we met my sisters, Cynthia and Debbie and their families and went to the performance of “Legacy”. At this point I am sure that Dad would tell you that if you haven’t attended this you need to now! If you have, it would probably be well for you to return and get that great feeling of the “Legacy of Faith”. Afterwards he stated that this was one of the milestones in his life. On January 25, 1996, before the spring arrived, Jack graduated from this earthly existence to continue life in the hereafter with his sweetheart and family who had passed on before him.

Recollections of Coventry Connecticut

Colaborador: guthrm Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

In October 1997, Allan and I had opportunity to celebrate our 30th anniversary by visiting the area in which I had grown up, as well as attend a national dental convention in Washington DC. We'd made plans for the first part of the trip to stay with my Uncle Curt Ambler and his wife Madie in Hartford Connecticut. As part of that visit, we arranged to see two of my mom's sisters, Ruth and Marjorie and their families not far from Hartford. After enjoying a scrumptious breakfast, we were preparing to leave for Hurley NY where my grandparents and several other family members were buried. In passing, one of Mom's sisters asked if we had ever been to their old home in Coventry Connecticut—I had heard very little from Mom about her home and was actually very excited! Traveled the 30 minutes or so and came upon a lovely historic home, built in about 1712, stopped to view it and were graciously invited in by the owners when they learned of our connection with the home. What a delightful time we had, reminiscing stories of their childhood as we passed from room to room. They even insisted that we visit the basement to see the old chimney which they claimed and appeared to be about 8-10 square feet—thick and all hand laid. Can't say enough about this couple in opening their home to complete strangers without a moments hesitation. As we prepared to leave, the couple gave us a copy of a history he had written, covering much of his life. I mention it only because Robert Pitkin, my mother's father, is mentioned several times in the book and I will share just a few short thoughts that have to do with my mother's young life, as I have very little of her early years, being moved several times and losing both of her parents. I cherish the time with her sisters to this home as well as to the nearby cemetery where many of her family are buried. Leonard Giglio recalls information about the school and the names of the children with whom he attended school. “I started school in early November at #10 school on Cedar Swamp Road. They had made a float and they put me in it as soon as I got there. Our school won first prize. Robert Pitkin drove his team of horses for our float.” Those classmates pertaining to our family were: “In the sixth grade were Marjorie Pitkin . . . in the forth {fourth} grade Anna Pitkin . . . and in the second grade was Luther Pitkin.” He goes on to say, “I got to know almost everybody in North Coventry. As I remember, starting at the Bolton line on the Main Road, there was Robert Pitkin, who lived on the farm behind the Allen Food Market where I live now. They used to call that road the Old Providence Highway and now Old Coventry Road. That road was the main road from Bolton to Coventry before the road was changed in 1808 to where it is now in front of Allen's Market.” Mr. Giglio states at the end of his “Recollections” that he now lives “ . . . in North Coventry on Old Coventry Road, an old thoroughfare which runs behind the Allen Plaza and was the main highway in earlier days . . .” He continues, “I later learned that this old house I now live in was built by Samuel Porter and his brother, Abel Porter in 1712. The name appears on the deeds up until 1903 when a daughter of Luther Gager married William Pitkin, who came from Rhode Island. Robert Pitkin, a son of William Pitkin, bought the farm in 1903 from the estate of Luther Gager. Robert Pitkin raised a family and lived there until his death in 1925. I went to school in Coventry with three of his children, Marjorie, Anna, and Luther. They left town after the death of their father, and a Mr. Lawson, a minister from Manchester, bought the place and stayed about a year. It stayed vacant for awhile and in 1928, Jacob Cooper bought the farm and lived there until 1955 when he sold it to Arthur Morse. I bought it in 1957 from Arthur Morse. . .” Interesting bits of history of this wonderful old home.

1938 New England Hurricane

Colaborador: guthrm Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

The story that follows is written by my Mother Ann Pitkin Schoonmaker about her recollections of the Great New England Hurricane of 1938 type written by her on Friday, September 23, 1938 just two days after this devastating storm. If you want to know more about it you can Google the Great Hurricane of 1938 an 8 part series on The History Channel. The hurricane hit their place in South Amherst, Massachusetts which is in the Connecticut River Valley. The storm flooded a great deal along the river and I (John P Schoonmaker) remember as a child going down to Mount Holyoke and seeing marks on houses and barns showing the depth of the water which was two or three stories deep from the flooding. I quote, “Monday and Tuesday it rained hard all day and we were wondering if there was ever going to be a chance to hang clothes out to dry and to get some grain out to the chickens on the range. What a comforting sight about 2 o’clock on Wednesday to see blue sky and the sun peering out. When I awoke from my nap (about 3:15) it was raining again and it sounded a bit breezy outside. I started to make an apple pie for supper and Jack came in and worked at his desk for a while. The rain continued. I felt sorry for the two little kittens outside under the back steps and rescued them – and they were very grateful I am sure. Soon after that it started to pour, with a good stiff wind coming from the East. At 4:10 the lights flickered and went out for a second (just long enough to make the indicator on our Telechron clocks turn red) and then continued to flicker. Jack called the Electric Company to let them know that there might be trouble, thinking they might want to remedy it before it actually occurred. Their answer was that all their crews were already out. At 4:20 the lights actually went out. Jack called his father to see if he knew the electricity was off, as the incubator was running. Dad already knew it and we again called the Electric Company to let them know that there were eggs in the incubator and we would appreciate the electricity as soon as it was possible – never dreaming then how long it really would be. We felt sorry for Kit, our puppy, but thought as soon as it let up a little we would rescue her. However, in a few moments her house blew over on its roof and Jack braved the storm to rescue her and make sure the other dog was all right. Our car was under a tree but that was a fairly young tree and it seemed a good safe place to leave it. About that time there was a crash and a big hickory tree went down. Next the shed on the North side of the barn was carried away and Jack’s old Ford stood out in the weather. About that time we thought some more about the car out under the tree. It didn’t seem safe to put it in the East end of the barn where we usually kept it for there was an old elm out there which looked as if it might go at any time, so Jack finally put it in the West end of the barn. That was fortunate for soon afterwards the tree where it had been went over with a crash onto our electric light wires. There it hung for some time before the wind shifted and let it down gently, leaving the wires intact. It’s hard to say which trees went next; there were many falling all around. By this time we had decided that the wind was blowing too hard to keep the fire going because of the danger of a chimney fire, so we turned it out and I discontinued the process of pie making to watch what was happening outside and speculate on what might happen inside. Our attention was called to the dining room by the dripping of water. We had already put some old rags around the cracks of the East window casing and now found water coming in through the ceiling of our bedroom, water pouring in around one window, and more water coming in through the roof of the closet. Fortunately we rescued the clothes before they were badly soaked and spread them on all available space in rooms which were dryer. After distributing pans, newspapers, etc., and rolling up the dining room rug away from the water, we decided all that was possible was done and resumed our places at the windows to see how the situation was outside. It was hard to see just what was left standing out on the range because it was raining so hard, but we could see that one brooder house was upside down and missed the roofs of several shelters. In a few moments it was apparent that the old East House (one that had been on its last legs since before I hailed to Amherst) was missing. We thought of all the chickens that must be lost and saw the profits of the business (which were already over spent) whisked away. It seemed that there was only one thing to do and that was to pray, so we knelt down side by side by the studio couch and did some very serious praying. Every once in a while we heard a strange noise. It sounded almost as if the house was fairly moving. It made Jack rather uneasy for a while and we discussed the safest place to go if the house should blow away and leave us. Of course we thought of the cellar, but not knowing how long the storm might last we did not relish the prospects of a night on the dirt floor of the cellar. Our next thought was a bit better – the new brooder house. That is 100 feet long and only one story high. It was very well constructed and has been up not more than two years so seemed quite safe and sturdy. Jack suddenly remembered that often when the automatic floats on the range waterers were working we would hear a queer noise as the water turned on. The chances were that the floats were bobbing up and down by now possibly causing that strange noise. He went down in the cellar and turned off the entire water supply and the noise was not heard again. We felt rather useless staying in the house when there were so many chickens out in the storm and we decided to go out and see what we could do. We dressed well for the occasion and went out, keeping hold of each other lest we blow away. The first brooder house we came to, the White House, was blown off its skids, but right side up. The next one, #3, was part way off its skids and teetering in the breezes. Quite a number of pullets were out in the wind and rain. We endeavored to rescue them, but with no luck. Just as we attempted to drive them somewhere a big gust would rise and blow chickens and us all in the opposite direction. This seemed rather useless, and of course there was always the danger of things blowing in our direction. We finally struggled to the new house, where I clung hoping I wouldn’t be blown away while Jack opened the door. We closed the windows in there and decided we might as well go back to the house. (I forgot to mention that on our way out Connie, the other dog, came running out of her house to meet us, so we put her in the barn out of the wet and wind.) We stripped ourselves of our wet clothes, upon reaching the house. Since we couldn’t do anything until the wind let up – and hadn’t the slightest idea when that would be – we ate a light lunch of sandwiches and what milk there was in the house, anticipating a busy evening if only the wind would abate before dark. All the time during this destruction we were both conscious of a feeling of great thankfulness that things were not worse; that we were both together; and that our house was small, compact, built of brick and comparatively safe. I mention this because I can remember remarking about this thankfulness many times when there was no knowing what would be left if the wind didn’t cease soon. Finally the rain nearly stopped and the wind seemed to die down a bit. It still came in strong gusts, but said gusts seemed to come less frequently than before and were not quite so violent. We put on more clothes and prepared to brave the elements. I really was surprised when we opened the door to see how much gentler the storm was. We made straight for brooder houses #1 and #2, the only ones that were upside down. (They had been turned over before when we went out the first time.) We had visions of many pullets smothered in both of them. #2 was fairly easy to get into and many of the birds were all right. Jack immediately made his way to the corner where there was a pile of birds and manure under the roost. He worked quickly and pulled out a lot, some dead, some gasping, and some quite alive. He decided that the rest down at the bottom of the pile could not possibly be alive after all the time that had passed, when he saw a foot wiggle and he pulled out some more live ones. You see, those houses have ventilators just under the roof – now on the bottom – and they were able to get air through those. We then rushed to #1. That was not down flat because it had blown over against a clump of white birches and rested on a bit of an angle. We were able to get in and carried on the same process there. The trees gave a little, and the wind still blew a bit. Inside on that angle it was not hard to think that perhaps one was a bit dizzy or perhaps even tipsy. The range looked a bit sad. One brooder house which had been on its roof when were out before was completely in pieces flat on the ground. The old East House was a bit of wreckage, two shelters which had not had birds in them were completely demolished and blown quite a distance from their normal places. Most of the brooder houses were moved at least a little, but surprisingly enough even those upside down had not one pane of glass broken. Our greatest concern at the moment was the very short time left before it would get dark. We had gone from the house about 6 to 6:15. There were lots of homeless birds on the range which had to be put under cover for the night. We got in the car to go to the other place to get some help. When about a half mile from the Schoonmaker’s we were stopped by a number of trees across the road. There wasn’t a chance of getting through. Fortunately there was another way around. It was easy to get through the other way. There was one place where a tree was hanging precariously by the light wires. We hesitated a moment before going under but had to chance it. For several days afterwards we went under it many times more thinking little of it. By then we were used to trees hanging by wires! We left our car at the foot of Potwine Lane at the junction of South East Street and walked the rest of the way – just a short distance – because the wires were down. While Dick was getting ready to come over and help us we had a moment to look around and exchange notes hurriedly. We truly were fortunate. The roof was off the entire ell and the furniture from the den was jammed into the music room. The slates from the barn roof had blown hither and yon, not missing the house. We saw where Dad and Dick had nailed a rug over a bedroom window that had been cut when a slate came through. There were a number of panes of glass missing in various rooms. Having gathered Dick, we hurried back home. I took the car and went for Wilford Judd to get him to help us. Mrs. Judd was bemoaning the loss of two beautiful trees. She hesitated when I asked Wilford saying that he had not had his supper but I promised him a sandwich and practically grabbed him because it was getting dark very fast. Two of the Wales children came to help and really were a great help to us. From then until about nine (it was 7 then) we all worked out on the range by flashlight, catching birds and putting them in places that were intact. Jack said it did his heart good to go to the old East House and see the Rock males perched on the wreckage, as if they had always done that. Before we finished Ludy, the hired man, and his brother came out and helped us. The Wales children and I left the others getting birds out from under houses. It was beginning to drizzle a little more by then. When I got back to the kitchen the animals (one cat, two kittens, and one dog) had got into a paper bag containing some garbage and had it sprinkled well over the floor. Just as we came in the cat jumped from the table where she had been enjoying my freshly rolled out pie crust! We got things under control and all had sandwiches. Just as we were about to take our helpers home Mr. Wales came. He had been very busy before and couldn’t leave but was ready to help us then. We went back to Schoonmakers to talk things over and make plans for the morrow. Then we returned home and had something more to eat and then to bed.”

5000 Miles to the Temple

Colaborador: guthrm Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Written and edited by daughter, Ann Schoonmaker Papworth, from notes found in a small journal kept by my mother, Ann P Schoonmaker, when leaving on our trip West with Dad, Johnny, myself and Robert to be sealed together as a family in the Salt Lake Temple. Mom indicates that we left June 5th, 1949 from Amherst Massachusetts, stopping many nights in our travels at the homes of family or friends throughout the country and at times staying in cabins or in a tourist home as well. What troopers they were, leaving often at 5 or 6 a.m., stopping at a rest area for a light breakfast or lunch, having no air-conditioning and no interstate highway, and many times traveling for 10 hours a day. Yet not a word of complaint in Mom's short two pages, nearly 8 months pregnant with sister Cynthia, but lots of descriptive scenery! Definitely a Mother Ann thing!! Of interest especially to me were a final three pages, although with a very abrupt beginning. After we arrived in Salt Lake City, we stayed at the home of one of our dear missionaries, Dale Hanks, whose parents were Lincoln and Emma Hanks, living on the very steep hill, Zane Avenue. They had a daughter Diane, who later married one of Dale's companions, Blaine Whipple. As of this writing in 2016, I still have contact with Diane although Blaine passed away a year or so ago. I remember their kindness and what wonderful hosts they were for us. June 12, 1949-- “Enjoyed Bro Hanks talk very much. To Bruce McConkie's home with Oscar {the missionary who shared the gospel and baptized Mom and Dad}for dinner, after picking up Judy Stoddard. {She would later become Oscar's wife.} Bruce was not home but met the family—Amelia and the children and had a delicious dinner and enjoyable afternoon. Saw {Truman}Grant Madsen and his wife. {Another missionary from our New England Mission.} Left in time to get to Arbor Ward where Oscar spoke at Sacrament Meeting. Thence to Stadium to the Baccalaureate. Returned children and Buffy to the Hanks. {Buffy was a gal who drove west with us to help Mom as she was nearly nine months pregnant. Buffy went to Mt Holyoke College and worked for my dad sorting apples in Amherst.} It was a beautiful evening with moon coming up over the stadium and mountains all around. Truly inspiring. June 13, 1949—Spent the morning doing various things. Took car to garage—did a little shopping. Went to see Sister Black in the genealogical bureau, {whose mother Sister Wrigley lived in our Springfield Branch}. Got straightened out on a few things regarding doing temple work for the dead. To Brit and Beth McConkie's for lunch with Oscar. In afternoon had our patriarchal blessings {from Bp. Eldred G Smith} and a short conference with Joseph Fielding Smith about genealogical work. {Specifically asking to whom she should be sealed—her biological or her adoptive parents.} Jack went to do baptismal work for grandfathers and uncles. Oscar and I went for a walk around, met Elder Spafford. He had just returned from New England Mission. He took us up to meet his mother—Belle Spafford, General President of the Relief Society. Also met her two counselors and saw Relief Society rooms. Back to meet Jack. Took Sister Black to her home and the three of us stayed there for dinner. Returned to Hanks' and visited there for a while before going to bed. Tuesday, June 14, 1949—Sister Hanks, Jack and I were at the Temple at 7:45 where we met Oscar, {Truman} Grant Madsen, Jeanne and Dick Beasley {another missionary from our mission}, Melissa Wilson and Elaine Watson to go through the temple. Diane Hanks brought the children to the temple around noon—on the bus, which was a big treat. They were cared for there until we were ready to be sealed. Bro Hanks, Brit and Beth McConkie, and Marjorie Kilpack {another missionary?}were present for the sealing in addition to those who went through the Temple with us. {Marion G Romney, the first called Asst to the Twelve sealed them and then us as children to our parents.} It was about 2:30 when we finished. Sis Hanks took the children back and Jack, Oscar and I had lunch at the McConkie's house. Rested and visited then until nearly 5:00. Back to Hanks and got ready to go with them up Big Cottonwood Canyon for Salt Lake Stake outing. Beautiful picnic spot. Had lunch, then went to amphitheatre for entertainment. A good time was had by all. {I have to insert here that Mom is a very private individual and perhaps felt this too spiritual of an experience to share on paper, although it made a huge impact in her life. I remember being brought from the children's room to the sealing room by a lovely ordinance worker and kneeling at the alter with my two brothers, Johnny and Robert, as we were sealed to our parents. After all these 67 years, that day and experience stand vividly upon my mind.} Wednesday June 15, 1949—Bro. Hanks, who is regional welfare director, took us on a tour of Welfare Square. We saw a number of different garments being made, including dungarees, {jeans}, mackinaws, {heavy waterproofed woolen fabric generally made into jackets}, and shoes. Saw also grocery store, potato storage, cannery, grain elevator. Gave us a much better picture of how extensive the welfare program is.” Ends abruptly, or at least the pages available to me. However, invaluable, as I learned much from those pages which we did not otherwise know. Also, Cynthia Gager Schoonmaker was born July 24, 1949, not long after we arrived home from that trip of over 5000 miles!!

Life timeline of Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker

Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker was born on 18 May 1913
Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker was 16 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker was 26 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker was 32 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker was 44 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker was 51 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker was 60 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker died on 8 Feb 1987 at the age of 73
Grave record for Ann Pitkin Palmer Schoonmaker (18 May 1913 - 8 Feb 1987), BillionGraves Record 947074 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States