Carl Roland Buhler

17 Oct 1899 - 27 Jan 1958

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Carl Roland Buhler

17 Oct 1899 - 27 Jan 1958
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Written by Ardell Clyde (Adelene), 1960 Louise Barben Buhler was born on January 1, 1865, at Spiezweiler, Switzerland, to Jacob Barben and Susanna Burgener. The land of her birth, I am told, is very beautiful where tourists come from all over the world to see the beauty of the trees, mountains, and
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Carl Roland Buhler
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Carl Roland Buhler


Midway City Cemetery

447-599 W 500 S
Midway, Wasatch, Utah
United States


September 13, 2013


August 24, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Carl Roland...

We found more records about Carl Roland Buhler.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Carl Roland


Carl Roland Buhler is buried in the Midway City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Louise Barben Buhler

Colaborador: susannielson Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Written by Ardell Clyde (Adelene), 1960 Louise Barben Buhler was born on January 1, 1865, at Spiezweiler, Switzerland, to Jacob Barben and Susanna Burgener. The land of her birth, I am told, is very beautiful where tourists come from all over the world to see the beauty of the trees, mountains, and flowers and to view the Swiss Alps with perpetual snow caps year round. I have seen films shown by people who have visited there. Also, my parents have told me of the beauty and my brother, Joe, who filled a mission there and viewed all the places of our forefathers. There are beautiful waterfalls in a lovely Swiss valley. There is a cascade which is caught by a swift wind as it pours over the edge of the rocks, and scattered so that the stream is lost for a time, and only a whirling spray is seen in the air; but farther down the valley the stream gathers itself back again and pours along in full current in quiet peace, as if by the wind, even the blast that scatters it for a time and seems to destroy it altogether, really makes it all the lovelier as it whirls its crystal drops into the air. At no other point in all its course is the stream so beautiful. The family came to Utah in the year 1873. There were six in the family then, the father and mother, Louise, Fredrick, Susanna, and Rosana. They settled in Midway, Utah. There were five others born in Midway. They are Emma, Anna, Robert, William, and John. These five children were born under the covenant. The only one who survives is Emma Smith. Grandfather Barben died in 1885 and Grandmother had a hard struggle to raise the three younger sons. Her oldest son, Fred, helped her take care of the Dutch Field Farm with the help of the younger brothers. My grandmother died in 1895 so Aunt Emma took care of the boys for a year. Then Robert came to live with my mother and family being 16 years of age. John lived at Susanna’s and William with Rose. I remember my Uncle Rob living with us. I really loved him, and he was so good to me. My mother had twelve children, Franklin, William, Joseph, Alma, Adelene (Ardell), Francis, Ephraim, Roland, Orson, Bernice, Vesta (Bonnie) and Thurman. She was a very devoted wife and mother. She didn’t have time to do church work or take part in any social functions because she was so busy with her family. She was always thoughtful of anyone in trouble and she helped with the sick. She was loved by everyone. She was married to Gottfred Buhler in the Endowment House in Salt Lake December 9, 1881, at the age of 16. My father was 26 years of age. Later they were sealed in the Logan temple in 1885. My mother was a real good seamstress and did hand work and knitting. She was also an excellent cook. I remember on special occasion, I was allowed to stay up late when her brothers would come from Park City to Midway to a dance. Mother would prepare dinner for them after the dance. Aunt Emma used to help mother. She helped with sewing. I remember some beautiful dresses she made for me. Also, after my mother died, Aunt Rose sewed for me and my sisters. Aunt Net, Uncle Rob’s wife, took care of my younger sisters while I went on a trip. The house my parents lived in was built by my father and most of the furniture was made by him. It was ready to move into when they were married. My parents owned a farm, a bath house, a creamery, and the first store in Wasatch County. The boys helped with the work, and I clerked in the store. My mother had a hired girl most of the time, as she had a lot of work to do to take care of such a large family. One of my fondest memories is when we were all seated around the long table and ate together. My mother always attended church. My parents believed in the power of healing. When they had sickness, they called in the Elders rather than call a doctor. My mother was an excellent nurse. The reason the Swiss people settled in Midway was because it was quite a bit like Switzerland. My mother’s friend always praised my mother and told me that she was loved by everyone. There are only a few of her friends left. She died on January 24, 1914, and was buried on Orson’s birthday, January 26th. Franklin passed away when he was four years of age. He was the oldest. William lives at Hailey, Idaho, the oldest of the family that is living. For years he was branch president over the district. His son, Harold, is now the Bishop of the Church which is now in Hailey. Joseph lives in Salt Lake – he filled a mission in Germany and Switzerland. He is interested in genealogy. Alma lives at American Fork – he is a high priest and five of his sons and a son-in-law filled missions. All of his children were married in the temple. Ardell (Adelene) lives in Heber City. She is interested in cooking, hand work, and music. She has worked in many different organizations in the church. (See note at end of history.) Francis lives in Salt Lake, and his wife, Louise, has just recently joined the Church. Ephraim lived in Shoshone, Idaho, and died of cancer November 9, 1945, at the age of 48. Roland resided at Midway, worked as a miner and a farmer, died of cancer January 27, 1958, at the age of 58. He was active in the Church. Orson has been a Bishop for many years and at present is living in Salt Lake. One son is now a Bishop and the other son and a daughter have filled missions. Bernice lived at Heber, Duchesne, and Salt Lake. She died of cancer February 5, 1954, at the age of 49. Vesta (Bonnie) lives in Salt Lake. She likes art. She likes painting, decorating, and sewing. Thurman lived at Midway. He died of cancer of the brain June 11, 1939. NOTE BY BONNIE BUHLER ROUTH Since Ardell is too modest to tell the things that she and her husband, Dean Clyde, have done for our whole family since our mother’s death, it should be recalled the Ardell and Dean were mother and father to her younger brothers and sisters. Francis, Roland, Orson, Bernice, Thurman, and Bonnie have at one time lived with these people during periods of their lives when they needed a job or home. Ardell and Dean were always willing to share what they had with these brothers and sisters as well as other folks in need.

Adeline (Ardell) Louise Buhler Clyde

Colaborador: susannielson Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

By Ardell in 1958, age 65 I was born August 30, 1893, in Midway, Utah daughter of Gottfried and Louise Barben Buhler. I had a very happy childhood. My father and mother were highly respected and prominent in the community. They were religious and lived good lives. There were 12 children in our family: Franklin, William John, Joseph, Alma, Adeline, Francis, Ephraim, Orson, Roland, Bernice, Vesta, and Thurman. My father built and operated the first creamery in Wasatch County. He was a merchant, farmer, and also had a public bath house. I clerked in his store for many years. I attended school at Midway, graduated with a class of twelve from the eighth grade. I attended Wasatch High School for three years. After the second year, my mother died and I stayed home two years to care for my brothers and sisters. I returned to High School for one more year. I was still with my friends as I had received a special promotion in the grade school under my teacher Charles Bronson. I completed the sixth and seventh in one year. I had a very wonderful teacher in the eighth grade, Theo B. Miller. He taught us so thoroughly that we had to study very little in the first year of High School. I was baptized into the church on June 9, 1901, by Ben Hair. I have worked in the church all of my life, at the age of 13 I was Primary and M.I.A. organist. I also held the position of secretary of the M.I.A. in the Midway Second Ward along with my organist job. I was also ward organist and Sunday School organist. Later I was Bee Hive Keeper for several years in the Heber First Ward. Then I served as Stake Bee Keeper for 16 years. I was M.I.A. Stake organist for two years. LaVon Milliner and I conducted the closing session of Stake Conference for years, presenting our Bee Hive graduation on Swarm Day. I served as President of the Heber First Ward M.I.A. one year. When we moved to the Second Ward, I served as Primary and M.I.A. organist. When we moved back into the First Ward, I served as Second Counselor in the Relief Society to Reta Allen for a number of years. We moved to Gorman, California, and for three years we worked in the Sunday School that was organized on the Kinsey Ranch where we lived. I was teacher and organist there. We moved back to Heber First Ward and I am teaching the Junior Gleaner class in M.I.A. I was organist in Relief Society and assistant in the ward. I play often in M.I.A. and Primary and also at funerals. My friends in Midway were Tressie Coleman, Pansy Bonner, Myrtle Watkins, Effie Mortan, Della Sulser, Lilly Kumer, Lethe Coleman, Grace Sonderegger and many others – Guy and Henry Coleman, Dean Clyde, Guy Duke, Tom McMillion were also my friends. In high school my new friends were: Chloe Murdock, Deyce Moulton, Laura Clyde, E. Elthora Hicken, Lacy Aphenap, and Lethe Coleman. Lethe and I rode to high school together taking turns with our father’s buggy. In the winter we were brought to school by a team and sleigh. Sometimes it would take one period of school to thaw out from the cold. LeRay Ligie was also a dear friend of mine who lived in American Fork. Later when we were both married, we with our husbands spent much time together. She and her husband, Charly Thorne, now live in Hollywood, California. We visit once a year at least and have all through the years. Also the Aldous family, the Price family and the Lowery’s were dear friends. We visited and went camping with Guy and Gladys Duke, Wade and Odetta Cummings and went with Leonard and Pansy Giles a lot. I met my husband, L. Dean Clyde, at our eighth grade graduation dance in Heber City. I was 13 years old at that time. We kept company for eight years. He was away much of the time helping his father at the sheep herd and attending school at Provo and Logan in the winter time. I had other boy friends and he took other girls out when away, but when he came home it was understood that we would be together. I was married to Dean in the Salt Lake Temple on January 6, 1915 by Adolph Madson. We made our home at Heber, Utah. My sisters came from Midway every weekend and after school was out to stay with us. They helped me with the children and we helped them. I also helped my father and brothers all I could. My father remarried a few months after my marriage, but my stepmother was cruel to the children. Glenna LeRay was our first child born January 9, 1916 at Heber City, Utah. We were happy with her as we were with all our children. She attended public school at the North School and high school at the Wasatch High School. She received a Pearl W as an honor student in her first year of high school. She graduated from L.D.S. Seminary. She attended college at Brigham Young University for one year. She was then called on a mission to the Northwest which she filled with honor from 1937 to 1939. At the B.Y.U. and throughout high school she played solo trumpet in the band and won recognition for her solo work. She was married to George Hugh Nelson at Panguitch, Utah, July 31, 1940. Later they were married in the Salt Lake Temple by David A. Broadbent on February 7, 1941. She has always worked in the church. She taught in various organizations and was leader of the Junior Sunday School for a number of years in Matthews Ward in California. She taught the gospel doctrine class for a number of years in the same ward and is now teaching genealogy. Her husband died in 1954, May 30 leaving her a widow with three children – Clyde, Patricia, and Ronald. Glenna was also chosen Gold and Green Ball Queen of the Wasatch Stake. She served as a counselor in the Relief Society in Matthews Ward. She was a stake missionary in Heber after her mission in the Northwest. Edward Wilber Clyde was born 23 November 1917 at Heber, Utah. He attended the North School, then graduated from Wasatch High School with more pearls in the pin of the Pearl W than anyone had received previously. He was class president of the Senior Class. He was also graduated from Seminary. He graduated from B.Y.U. at Prove, Utah. While attending BYU he belonged to the Blue Key Fraternity; he was chosen as “Who’s Who” from that college. He was Junior Prom Chairman and activity chairman of the student body. Ed was outstanding in debate, both at high school and college. He attended law school at the University of Utah and graduated from the Law School with honors. He received many awards and was outstanding in scholarship and achievement. He is now a very successful lawyer practicing in Salt Lake City, Utah. He owns his own office building, a beautiful home, and a large ranch (Diamond Bar X) in Woodland, Utah. He is an Elder in the church and taught class in Sunday School in Salt Lake for a number of years. He married Bertha Jensen from Preston, Idaho in the Logan Temple August 14. They have four children: Carolyn, Susan, Steven, and Thomas. Edith Barbara Clyde was born 12 May 1920 at Heber, Utah. She attended the North School and graduated from Wasatch High School and Seminary. She received a scholarship pin her first year of high school. She graduated from B.Y.U. at Provo, Utah, in 1941 with a degree in Elementary Education. In 1952 she received her Bachelor of Science degree from the same college. She played trumpet both in high school band and in the B.Y.U. band. She was in the Lamda Delta Sigma and in the LaVoris social unit. She married Eldon Allred 21 November 1941 in Heber, Utah. They had two children – Brent and Annette. She has worked in the ward and stake Primary, M.I.A., and has taught Sunday School for 12 years. She is teaching a class at present. She taught school one year at Vernal, Utah and 14 years at the Heber Elementary School. At present she is teaching school. She is serving a five year term on the state music committee. Roy J. Clyde was born 21 February 1923 at Heber City, Utah. He is an Elder in the Church. He attended school at North School and graduated from Wasatch High School and Seminary. He was athletic manager in high school. He was in the army in the most important battles in Europe during World War II. He received the Bronze Star for heroic achievement. He attended college at Logan, Utah. He married Beverly Voorheese of Manti, Utah, 2 January 1951 in Salt Lake City, Utah at the Hotel Utah. They live in Los Angeles, California. He is a salesman and manager of Elso Veterinary Supply. Roy entertained by singing and playing his guitar in church, weddings, and programs constantly. Shirley Ardell Clyde was born 17 February 1926 at Heber, Utah. She attended school at the North School and graduated from Wasatch High and Seminary. She was an honor student. She was the life of the school on girls day or any special occasion. She married W.G. McNaughton 6 October 1946 at Heber, Utah. She is a housewife and has three living children – Bonnie Kay, Brenda Lee, and Jimmy Dean. They live in Lehi, Utah. She is talented in many lines and plays the piano and sings sell. Clara Ardean Clyde was born 5 February 1930 at Heber, Utah. She attended North School and graduated from Wasatch High and Seminary. She was an honor student. She played trumpet at the Wasatch Band and was a leader in school affairs. She worked at the telephone office as commercial girl until she got married. She married Arvin Anderson 20 August 1951 in the Salt Lake Temple. Mark E. Peterson married them. She served in many church capacities. She and her husband sing together at various church and social functions. She is now President of the Woodland Primary. She has taught the Social Science and Literary class in Relief Society. She and her husband live at the Bar X Ranch in Woodland where he is foreman. They have three children – Jeff, Robert, and Roy. Russell Kay Clyde was born 17 May, 1933 at Heber, Utah. He attended the Heber North School and graduated from Wasatch High and Seminary. He became an Eagle Scout at the age of 13. He went into the Navy for two years. He came home and graduated from the University of Utah at Salt Lake City, Utah and is now attending vocational school. Kay plays the guitar and sings. He married Patricia Sprague 12 March, 1958. They have one child – Katherine. He is an Elder in the church. Kay played the trumpet in the Wasatch High School band. He was outstanding in athletics in High School and in the Navy.

Autobiography of Francis Lyman Buhler

Colaborador: susannielson Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

This is taken from a tape recording by Francis Lyman Buhler to his daughter Margaret, in 1987 when he was 91 years old. [MARGARET HELEN BUHLER JOHNSON SPEAKING] Frances Lyman Buhler was born October 30, 1895 in Midway, Utah, Wasatch County. He was the sixth of twelve children. His father was Gottfried Buhler born October 28, 1854 in Bern, Switzerland. He died November 1, 1935 in Midway, Utah. He married Louisa Barben on December 9, 1880 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Louisa Died January 24, 1914 in Midway, Utah. The following are the names of his brothers and sisters beginning with the eldest: Franklin Gottfried Buhler, William John Buhler, Joseph Buhler, Alma Buhler, Adeline Louise Buhler (also known as Ardell), then Francis Lyman Buhler, Ephraim Buhler, Carl Rolland Buhler, Orson Buhler, Bernice Buhler, Vesta Buhler (also known as Bonnie), and Thurman Buhler. All were born in Midway, Utah, Wasatch County. [FRANCIS LYMAN BUHLER SPEAKING] In 1907 Dad owned a big mercantile store, and Ardell and I were clerking for him, I was only twelve years old. I used to go in and relieve at noon and I would run that big store, the whole mercantile, and I would be the only person there. And Dad would take his lunch, and I used to relieve him pert near every day. And Ardell she clerked quite a bit too, and that’s how he lost the store, he went on a note for Carson Smith, that was Uncle Charley Smith’s brother. And he took the bankruptcy, and Hooper and Coleman, and Dad had signed this thousand dollar note, and you know in those days a thousand dollars was real money. That was a lot of money then in those days. So Dad he kept buying the stock in the Big Four Mine and the people would take it out in trade in the store, the workers. He used to hire the men from Midway and they would ride up Monday morning to the Big Four and I’d always take them up. No, they went up by themselves on the horses, three of them to work in the mine all week, and then Saturday afternoon about four o’clock I rounded up the horses out of the pasture and then I rode up there and led two horses and rode one to pick up these three men. And then they would come home and they would stay all night, Saturday night until Monday morning. And then they would go up again, and they would take their horses with them and then turn the horses loose and the horses would come home by themselves, and I would put them in the pasture, take care of them during the week, and do that every week. So the creditors, they couldn’t trust Dad anymore. He still seemed to be able to pay his bills, but they wouldn’t trust him anymore, they come and closed him out. I was the only one there of the whole family that did anything at all and I was twelve years old, and of course I couldn’t do anything, but I could see them carrying bundles of clothing out, suits of clothes, overalls, bundles of overalls, even our local neighbors would go out, and well I thought to myself, well they might as well have it as the creditors anyway because they was going to close him out, and they did close him out that day. They took everything and then they took over the store, the building, that belonged to them. And he lost the Creamery the same month. He also lost the Creamery, he had a good Creamery and he was doing real good. He was a wealthy man in Midway, I believe, at the time, and then he lost everything. Then Alm and I we blasted the mine down and I was still only twelve years old, and Alm he did all the work mostly. But one day I was blasting a little hole of rock out, and my neighbor, J. B. Wilson, now he just hooked his colts, some young colts about two or three years old on the hay rack and he was pulling out of the driveway, and I’d already set a charge of powder, and it was already going, but I did have a long fuse. And I yelled and I yelled and I yelled at him and he wouldn’t pay any attention to me. ‘Course I knew he wasn’t paying any attention to me because I was just a kid. But I kept a yelling, kept a yelling and finally he left the lines around , while he closed the wire gate. He got in the rack and took the lines of the team and drove away and boy was I glad because if he hadn’t of left the blast would have gone off, that team of horses would of gone down the road maybe killed somebody. Anyway in about 1908, Mother used to do the washing of the bath suits. We lived in a little bit of money, we used to charge ten, twenty five cents for suits to go in bathing, and that was our living. And Dad owned two farms, he did all right, and us kids run the farms. Mother died in 1914 and Dad was sick exactly one year later in 1915, and I was working over in Snyderville, I’d had a job over there all winter, forty dollars a month and my board. Joe came down from Idaho, and he come by, he called me up to come and pick him up down in Snyderville, he was walking with a horse that had an ankle hurt and was limping around, he was leading this horse of his and he called me up and, so I went down and picked him up with my horse and buggy and brought him up to Snyderville. He stayed there that night, and lo and behold, my partner had quit about a week before, a married man and Cannon, Agnes Cannon was the boss, he was running the Church farm. And after Dad called me home because he was sick, I had to go home to take care of Dad, and boy was he sick, and he was only sixty years old, and boy wasn’t he a mess and I had to take care of him, and lead him up to the toilet, all day long. Then that year he found out he wanted to do some farming down in Meseda so he made arrangements to take over the Case thrashing machine from Lynn Dean, and Lynn Dean had owed him that money from the store and he gave him the thrashing machine, the engine, and the water tank. Then Rolland and I we came home from Meseda, we’d been down to Meseda farming fifty two acres of land. Here I was eighteen then, and Roll was fourteen. Well I came home on the fourth of July for the celebration and he wanted me to drive the steam engine over to the train, and he wanted to ship this steam engine and the thrashing machine down to Meseda for me to take care of. I thought that was foolish because I was only eighteen years old and he expected me to run a farm and a thrashing machine, and all of that stuff. Anyway, they couldn’t run it over the railroad bridge because the railroad bridge wouldn’t hold the steam engine. So I had to run us through the Provo River, and I started, I got a good head of steam up on the west side. It was in July, I ran it through the river and I just barely made the other side, it was lucky, it was out of steam. But we made it and we were afraid to fired it up, and I had Orson with me then, and I told Dad, I said I didn’t want Roll, I said I don’t get along with Roll, I said he won’t mind me, he won’t do anything I want and I don’t like him. I said I want Orson. Orson was only twelve years old. So he ran the water wagon and boy he was a good one too, I’ll tell ya. Well anyway we got over to Silver Creek and we had to run it through the Silver Creek again because the bridge wouldn’t hold it. So we had to refire it again. Put water in by hand, and then they got over to Heber, Dad and Andrew Luke had some big flat logs from a barn that they laid for a plank to run onto the flatcar with the steam engine. Well I got there and Dad was directing me on the car and he was telling me what to do, and I said, “I know what to do.” So I give it the gun and pulled the throttle and I went up the plank right up and never stopped a minute, it just went right up and then stopped. He was directing me and I thought I was going to run him off the car, but I socked on the throttle and stopped on a dime. Then we sent this machine, this thrashing machine to Meseda, that’s down by Goshen, and we delivered it to Elberta, a little bit of a town, peach town, down by Goshen. Then Orson and I unloaded it, and of course I had the engine in front, the thrashing machine in the center, and the water car behind and it was all hooked together. We had to find a ramp to take it off. We had a straight away, and went down after it got steam up. I used the steam engine, it was all hooked together and that held the machine from running in on us, and boy damned if we didn’t get down off of the car in good shape. Then I had to run it to Meseda seventeen miles, and by five o’clock that night we was home. And we was ready to go to thrashing too. We didn’t do much thrashing that year, we didn’t raise a very good crop because when we went home, why we lost a turn of water. Our crop wasn’t very good, but we had about a hundred bushels of wheat, that wasn’t too bad for a couple of kids. We didn’t get any thrashing because they had a machine there that got all of the jobs, because they thrashed a thousand bushels a day. But anyway we got the machine running and got all the belts on and everything was running fine. And my neighbor he had to dry land rye, 640 acres. So he helped me out, Bob Gunther was my engineer, I didn’t have any money, I gave him a twenty two rifle, and I only paid two and a half for it, and damned if he didn’t run that thrashing machine, ‘course he got his toll along with me at the rye patch, and we were up there a whole week thrashing in this rye patch. And then we came back down, we didn’t have any more job and then it was fall, October, and I had to get some flues for the steam engine and I sent down to Gallagher Machine Company in Salt Lake and ordered ten pipe, and I had a pipe cutter, and this pipe cutter I cut each pipe in two and made two flues. Orson and I put those twenty flues in that steam engine, one each day. We put one flue in each day in the fall, October. And then ‘course we put all the wheat, we saved it there and we saved it over to the neighbor because we wanted seed for next year. And lo and behold it didn’t have a next year, they wouldn’t pump any water, they went broke. It was the Meseda Fruitland Company, and they went broke and they wouldn’t pump any water, so we lost the land. Dad had already given his water stock at home for a mortgage, but we got out of that anyway. And I had this machine, and wheat, and a little bit of a shack over at their neighbors by, his name was Smith, and stored it with him and Orson and I went home. And ‘course the next year why, we didn’t go there, and that was the year that I went to American Fork with Alm. Alm, he came back from Idaho too, and he unloaded coal in Salt Lake. He was a hard worker and he unloaded a car of coal a day. And then we got together in American Fork and run this farm and we just barely existed because there was no money made in that farm. It wouldn’t produce anything, the soil was so bad on the bench in Highland, Utah. In 1922 after we worked on the farm in Idaho, we didn’t do very well, I worked three years on a ranch up there, after I came home from the army. In 1922 Orson and I left Idaho and we gave everything we earned to Eph, and he took care of it. We had hay. We paid two and a half to have a ton of hay put up and we was selling it for four and a half. Can you imagine making two dollars a ton for raising hay. We had good crops, but it wasn’t worth anything. Well, when we come to Salt Lake, Pun Workman, a cousin he had three horses and I had five horses and we moved to Salt Lake to do some teaming down here, or do something. And I finally got a job teaming digging basements in 1923. I made good money, I got sixty dollars a basement. I made real good money and I bought a new car that year. After I came down from Idaho I traded ten head of cattle that I had for a Page car, an old Page. And anyway, Aunt Rose and Uncle John Workman and the three girls, I brought them down with me, we all left Idaho together. We went down to Joe’s, and Joe had a little bit of a dinky house on South West Temple, and honest to God he took us in, all of us. And I said Pun and Orson and I we slept in the wagon every night, for about ten days or so until the Workmans could find a place to rent, and then we got located. Then of course we worked at the seed mill. In the winter we had a job at the seed mill Orson and I and Joe, all three of us. When I was up in Idaho, before I went to war, and that was in 1917, I went to war on October 10th 1917, and I was in the army nineteen months and three days, and I came home. When I left the army I was sent to Cheyenne Wyoming to be discharged, and I had a sixty dollar bonus is all I had from the army. I wanted to come to Heber to see Ardell and the family, and I had to pay my own way to Heber, and then from Heber to Idaho, when I went back to Idaho and by the time I got up to Idaho I was broke. I had thirty dollars left for a suit of clothes, a cheap suit of clothes. That’s all I had all year up there in Idaho, my folks I believe would have been more tickled if I hadn’t come home than come home. They thought I was going to come home and take their jobs, and I was so disappointed I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to leave home, but there was no place to go. All over the United States we were out of work, nobody had a job. In 1923 when we first came to Utah we got a job digging basements, I got a job digging the Lincoln School house basement on 39th South and 5th East. Orson and I we hit water at twenty inches. We had chains on the horses and we had to extend the chain and pull, and we didn’t put the horses in the basement at all because it was too wet. We had to work from the top of the ground and we dug that out, took us a week to do it. And Orson and I we made good wages there. Then I had other basements to do. All in 1923 I had a good job. In 1924 was total hauling gravel, and that wasn’t good at all, I didn’t make very much money, I just barely could live on it. In 1925 the city gone from horses to motorcycles, or to cars, and our horses weren’t worth anything. The milk wagons had horses and they couldn’t even give them away when they went motorized. In 1925, in April, when I got rid of my horses, I didn’t have anything but a little old car, I went up to Heber and sponged on Ardell and it took me a whole month to rustle at the mine, and finally Hardy, a friend of ours that lived in Midway, I went over to talk to Dad, and by golly Dad had enough influence to go to Hardy and speak for me, and Hardy said well come on out and rustle tomorrow, he said I’ll give you a job. That’s the only way I got on at the mine was through Hardy, a friend. Well when I got a job at the mine I did well. In 1925, in April, I got on at the mine and I got to be a nipper, and that’s gathering steel. I had that job for about six months, and then the boss, Stubby Norton, he was powder monkey, and he quit on Christmas. So I got to be powder monkey, and first aid man, and tool keeper and I was roustabout in the mine. I had a good job, I was making five dollars and a half then, while everybody else was making five. Then Labor Day came and I was, I told them I was a ball player. I’d been playing in Idaho in the league, so they let me off at two o’clock everyday, and our regular time was four, to practice. So we played ball in 1925 on Labor Day. We played in Park City, we played the Silver Kings. The Silver Kings had hired a couple of players from Salt Lake, a pitcher, and another man. I had a hot day, I wanna tell ya, I got two home runs and a double, and a single. My fifth bat he walked me purposely, he wouldn’t even pitch to me, and I was the star of the family, and boy I was really proud of myself. And the only guy that praised me a little bit was Colvick, the opposite paymaster in the mine. He said, “I heard you was a regular Hornspy”, and I said, “Yea I had a field day”. I said, “You’re the only one that ever praised me any bit at all.” I said, “I kinda feel pretty good about that,” I said, “That’s the best day I ever had as a ball player.” Then I was on the fire department list to come to work. They called me right after I finished the examination. I was third on the list out of about fifty, of course I got ten percent added to my examination because I was a veteran. So that helped me out, that’s what put me third. I was called to work by Bywater in 1925, in April. Because they had just finished the examination. They had us rolling hose down at the station, and one of the firemen and his wife, Harry Peas came over, and while we were drilling their roll in the holes, he started calling me a scab, because we had taken a job from a bunch of men that got fired. Then the Bywater troubles started. Bywater, he wouldn’t get any sheets for the fire department, and they were on strike. So I didn’t take the job. They kept me on the list for a year and a half, I was on the list for a year and a half and every Saturday I would come down from the mine, from Keetly, and I would go down and ask Miss Bishop, the secretary, how about the job. She said, “You’re still first on the list, you’re still first on the list.” Then they had a new examination, and then they hired some of those guys on the new list ahead of us. But finally after awhile in 1926, in October, they called me to come on the list. So I worked as a powder monkey at the mine that night until twelve o’clock, then I quit and was called on the fire department, and I’d already written Chief Knight that I wouldn’t take the job, that I thought I had a good job at the mine. And then I changed my mind, and I came down and I’d already sent him a letter, and this was on a Monday morning, and I went in there and told him. He said, “Yea I got your letter right here.” And he called three of us to work, he wanted to hire two men. And of course I said I’d changed my mind, I’d like the job if he’d give it to me, and he did. So Hansen and I we got on, and the other fellow he couldn’t climb a rope, so we had him beat. Then in 1926 that’s when I joined the fire department. Then they used to inquire a fellow by the name of Druby. He was quite a guy. We used to play volley ball and he said, “What’s your nickname?” I said, “Well I played ball in the Bush League in Idaho.” And he said, “That’s it, I’m gonna call you Bush”, and that’s where my name got to be Bush. I went with the name of Bush for pert near twenty five years on the fire department. A lot of them called me Bush and nothing else. Well anyway I retired in 1951, in June. I had twenty five years, and then I got a job at Chicago Bridge and Iron. So I had a hundred dollar pension, and I was making good money at Chicago Bridge and Iron as a watchman. That’s when I started buying money for the bonds. I bought a lot of bonds. I’d buy one bond, let it mature, then sell it and buy another one. I really built up some money, I wanna tell ya. In 1926, I was on the fire department, I’d been on the fire department about two years, in 1927 I met Louise. She didn’t seem to care much for me. I pert near give up, because she didn’t seem to care for me, I thought well what’s the use. So I went with her a little while and we split up. Anyway we went to a convention in Bingham and she treated me kinda rotten, she didn’t dance with me at all, and I took her over there. So I quit going with her. And then it went on for about two years, till 1929, a couple of my friends, Hansen and Burke were living at the Tuxedo Hotel and there was a girl there that they wanted me to take out, so I took her out. And I went with her three and a half months and she jilted me, after I thought we were getting along so good. Then Hansen and Burke got me to take and go and see Louise. They said I think you better go and see Louise, why don’t you go date her. So I got enough nerve to do it, and then we started going together again, and lo and behold she accepted me. Louise had been married before and she had a son, Robert Devine, he was seven years old. So we got married on the 4th of September 1929, and Bob had just had a birthday a couple of days before. We got married by a priest on Douglas Avenue and Bob was with us, he was seven years old, and when we got home he said to me, he said, “What should I call ya?” I said, “You call me Dad from now on.” And he did, we got along just swell the rest of our life right till this day. In 1930 Betty was born, and then in 1933 Margaret was born. When Louise and I got married she didn’t want any kids, she was afraid to have a child, because she had such a rotten doctor on Bob that she was afraid to have a child, I think. Anyway it seemed that way to me. Well anyway we had Betty in July and Margaret in April, and posterity, I am so proud of my family. You got eleven grand children and thirteen great, and I think an awful lot of every one of them. In 1960 Louise decided to join the L.D.S. Church. She was a Catholic before then, and she was a good Catholic, and she was going to church a lot better than I was. So I didn’t question her. But she decided all on her own to go to the temple and be sealed to me. In 1960 we got sealed. In 1949 after I’d been turned down for Lieutenant, I was in charge at number five station. And they kept using me to fill in for Lieutenant all the time, even after they didn’t make me a Lieutenant. That was the part I didn’t like. So I was on the department, the Relief Association, I was a delegate on the department of the Relief Association at night, so we had the meeting at number five because I was there attending. Well they had nominated a Vice President for the Relief Association, Collins, and Carter, and… well it don’t matter. I can’t remember now who was nominated. Anyway, I stuck my neck out and I said I want to nominate Henry Myers for the Vice President. After you get to be Vice President you automatically take President. So I nominated Henry Vice President, and they had the election and he and McKinnen, he was a Lieutenant, they were running against each other, and they were tied. And of course Hall and Collins were on the list too, but they didn’t amount to nothing, I knew they didn’t get any votes. Well anyway, Henry and McKinnen were tied. And they had a run off, and Henry won. Well then he was President from 1949, and then he nominated me for President in 1950, and he said to me, they had McKinnen running against me too. He said, I didn’t know, he said he was afraid McKinnen was going to beat me, but he didn’t beat me, I beat him. So that was quite an honor, I was tickled to death to be President of the relief association, that was really something. About in 1947 or 1948, I don’t remember the year, Dirk’s Field was on fire, and I was in charge at number nine on Main Street that night. We went over to the fire department on West Temple and there was only four of us, and the man with me and I, we tried to cut a hole through the fence, but we couldn’t get through, the fence was too tough. We could have put the fire out, but it was a good thing anyway, it burned down, the heat drove us away from there, and then the whole grandstand burned down, and we got a new grandstand. Another time a little later on, I think it was about 1950, I was at Sugar House in charge again, and the Hygia Ice Company was on fire, and DeCarver, he got to be Chief about ten years ago, and he was a rookie. And I was in charge and we went over to the Hygia Ice and we tried to find the hot spot, and DeCarver he was lucky enough to feel the hot spot and he and I cut a hole in the wall and we put out the fire with a can of… Still at headquarters, and it must have been around 1930, the Carpenter Paper Company got on fire, the fire went in from the outside in the rubbish and went in the inside and all of this Carpenter Paper Company had these bunks and light wires strung all over the place, and the water was about a foot deep, and I was wringing wet, and I was putting out the spots in the fire and I got my hand over the wet electric wire, and it knocked me cold. And I yelled and yelled and Rafferty pulled, he was in charge, and he pulled on the wires and finally I must have fell off of the wires, and then I was all right. [Remarks by MARGARET HELEN BUHLER JOHNSON] Francis retired from the fire department in June of 1951. He then worked at Chicago Bridge and Iron from 1951 to 1956 as a night watchman. From 1956 to 1958 Mother and Dad worked at the Hogle Zoo train. From 1958 to 1960 Dad was a crossing guard at the Dillworth School on 19th South and 21st East. He loved the little children, and they brought him a lot of presents. This was his last job. During the Second World War Dad also delivered telegrams, we would all go with him. He also delivered bottled water. All of Dad’s WWI experiences are recorded and located at the Veterans of Foreign Wars office. Dad was an avid bowler. He bowled on the Fireman’s team and bowled on the Chicago Bridge and Iron team for about three years. He won four trophies for perfect games. After retiring he bowled every week until he was 90 years old with the Senior Citizens team at Bonwood Lanes with his brother Orson and sister Bonnie.

Autobiography of Gottfried Buhler

Colaborador: susannielson Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Taken from his own hand written account I was born of goodly parents, namely Ulrich Buhler and Anna Burgdorffor Buhler, in a little town named Gunten on the shore of Lake Thun Kanton, Berne Switzerland, on the 28th of October 1854. We lived in said town until the spring of 1860 when father sold out to emigrate to Utah, but after he had sold the President of the Swiss and German Mission told him he could not emigrate. He was needed out there (for he was a great missionary bringing hundreds into church!). He thought it was not fair for the President to not let him emigrate after he sold out. He made it a matter of prayer and then drawd cuts and it happened to turn out that he was to stay out there, he then went to see a man with the name of Christan Burger, one of his converts to the gospel who had a small farm of about 15 acres about 10 miles from where we lived he bought his farm, and Burger emigrated with his wife and family, having only one month to prepare for the emigration. We moved to that farm in the spring of 1860. I was sick when we moved and had scarlet fever and we had to hire a man to carry me on his back to that new home. I was disgusted with the new home for we left a nice three story house to one old farm house that looked like an old stable. We lived there for twelve years before father was able to sell, so that was a full eighteen years that father was a missionary in Switzerland bringing several hundred converts into the Church of Christ. We lived there on that place us children going to school having to walk about two miles. I was of school age six when we got there, going ten years to school, completing my schooling one year before we emigrated to Utah. In the year of 1872 in June, we emigrated to Utah arriving in Salt Lake City on the fourth of July 1872 at about 9 p.m. I stayed for about ten days in Cottonwood at Christian Berger’s and then father Christ (Christian’s father). Berger and myself walked up through Big Cottonwood Canyon and came to Midway where father’s brothers resided. We liked Midway a lot better than Cottonwood, the next day Christ Berger walked back home the way we came, father stayed a few days and then went back to Salt Lake to get the rest of the family. A young man with the name of Christ Bergener from Midway, with horse team went with father to get mother and children. They got back to Midway in about a week, and took residence in a little log house belonging to old man Moser. About two weeks after myself and about three or four other men walked over the hills to the west in to American Fork Canyon where they were building a railroad at the time the companies were about half way down the canyon working. There was a boss with the name of Young where there were all German speaking men in his company. Most of them I knew for they were returned missionaries whom I had often seen in Switzerland, this man Young would not hire me, for I was only a stripling of a boy of seventeen, one of the men, Brother Gass with man told me to go down to another camp. He told me how to ask for work, “Will you please give me work.” I went about a half mile farther down finding a Co. It’s boss was a middle aged man, with the name of Charly. I went up to him saying these words I had learned from Bro. Gass. He made his head motion to me to come with him. He got me a shovel and put me to work with two young men loading a wheelbarrow. I loaded the wheelbarrow mostly alone the looked and one of the two was wheeling while two of us were loading it, they kept telling me not to work so hard, finely the boss came and told me not to work so hard. After eight days, on a Sunday I left camp to visit some German people about a quarter of a mile below. As I got there some one halared the sawmill was afire. There was part of an old sawmill a few slaps a part of roof there and I had my bed there. All was ablaze when I got back there. There was nothing left for me to do but to go home. When I got to the head of the canyon it was dark. I missed my trail and got lost in the tops of the mountain. There I had a wonderful experience and miracles rescue by the Lord God. But finally got home that next morning. In the fall I went to Cottonwood, now called Murray. I got work at the German big smelter that had started to build up and I boarded at my brother-in-law who worked there about two years in the refinery. In 1875 I went to Nevada and got work in Eureka City working in a refinery about two months but got sick and quit that place. I then traveled south about 60 miles and found work at a hay (not readable) at Dukwater worked there about three months and then started south on a pony that I bought got Peotch from there on down through Utah making for home camping where every night overtook in the sagebrush coyoties howling all about me. I got home at the later end of November. Next spring I went out to Dukwater again with a friend of mine named Fred Steiner and got work there and returned in September on horseback to Utah on the old overland road coming by Stockton. The next winter I with others went to work above Park City chopping wood and hauling it to the Wasatch Mill on Park City. From then on I worked in the hills around Park City until 1880. In that year I got married to Louisa Barben on the 9th day of December in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City. Two years previous I had built a one room house and the same summer I got married I had added two more rooms to my house and finished them during the winter of 1880. From the time I got married I stayed at home farming what little land I had 26 acre in all and doing carpentry work between farming. In the year 1888 I was called to go on a mission to Switzerland and Germany. I left Salt Lake City on the 10th of October in company with 28 elders to different parts of Europe. I was appointed to labor in Thuor and Simenthal Conf. (Kanton Berne) until March the following spring in connection with Bro. Knuty from Buerlake (Bear Lake) then I was called to go to Germany to the city of Munich Bavaria, there I labored for eleven months with farely good sucess but I had to work secretly. The policemen were watching me constantly. I was called eight times before the police court in that city, but they could never prove anything against me. I established a branch of over 30 members. The following year 12 of my converts emigrated to Utah. From Munich I was called to go to the city of Furth and Nurnberg where I found Elder Allfred Boutch from Bear Lake a young missionary. We labored together for nearly two months. He was called to go to England and soon after was released to return home. I was then alone again with a local Elder Brai Peter Strebel. We had fairly good success. About a month after Boutch left Brother Wm. Preston from Salt Lake was sent to me as an assistant, we had fairly good success in that field. We held meetings every Sunday mostly out in the groves of timber. The members of the two cities constituted our branch. One Sunday in the month of July we were holding a meeting in the afternoon when a lot of detectives and policemen rushed in on us while holding meeting. They took what books I had, a Bible and songbook was all for they caught me preaching. Bro. Preston sneaked away through the timber. Me and Strebel were left alone to face the policemen. We soon got through with them and went our way. We had gathered for meeting in the same grove going through a small village for many Sunday and nearly all the village was so interested in one meeting especially in our singing that nearly all turned out to meetings. Sundays afternoon that village was nearly deserted. The Burgermistir of that village had complained at headquarters about us and that is why the policemen had come in on us but I soon found another grove to hold our meetings in. From that time on we held two meetings per week, one on Sunday and another on Tuesday night. By some of the members of the church a complaint was sent in to Minister Mium at Munich about me holding meetings by police. In three months after came a letter from headquarters notifying me that I was banished from said Kingdom allowing me three days to get out of it. The books that the policemen had taken from me were laying on the table in my room with said letter and also a letter from the mission headquarters stating that I was released to return home. I found all when I got to my room in the evening of that day in November. Soon after I had returned from my mission I started to make cheese. I went up to Cache Valley to Wellsville to a cheese factory to learn about the American cheese making. Bought a whole cheese making outfit there and soon went in business in earnest. Later on I also built a store and was a Merchantile businessman for about 12 years. In the year 1914 my wife Louise Barben Buhler died being only 40 years of age. She was a very loving good wife. She had born me 12 children, 9 boys and 3 girls, namely Franklin Buhler (born 1883) whom died when 3 years old, Wm. J. B. 1885, Joseph B. 1887, Alma H. B. 1892, Adeline L. B. 1893, Francis L. B. 1895, Ephraim W. B. 1897, Karl R.B. 1899, Orson E. B. 1902, Bernice E. 1904, Vesta A. B. 1906, Thurmen J. B. 1908. In one year after my wife died I got very sick for about three months. In the year 1915 I married again a widow with the name of Mari Burklarat from Switzerland. After we been married 17 years she died and was buried on the 1st day of February 1932.

France Buhler

Colaborador: susannielson Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Taken from a tape recording by France and Bonnie (Vesta Amber) Buhler. The tape belongs to Billie and Harold Buhler, who is the oldest son of Will Buhler. Transcribed February 15, 1983 by Violet Buhler Allred, daughter of Alma Buhler. My parents were hard working people. When I was a boy I used to take care of the chickens and they used to run wild. We had three roosters and maybe 50 hens. ‘Course we had old stoves, I always remember which rooster was boss and I would catch him and hang his comb over the stove (paint his comb with soot) and the other roosters would take after him and they would fight. Then one of the other roosters would be the boss. Then maybe three months later I would catch him and then the others would pick on him. We used to have rooster fights all the time. We got quite a kick out of that. They weren’t fighting *****, they were just roosters. My mother was always cooking for us and saw to it that we had a good meal. I remember she had to make an awful lot of noodles. She’d make the dough and cut them into strips, then put them in a room upstairs and dry them for three or four days. She used to make a lot of steam puddings. They came from Switzerland in 1872. They were converted to the church in Switzerland before they came to this country. Just one brother that I know of, Jacob Buhler, Ulrick’s brother came over with them; and he lived neighbors to us in Midway. He had an outhouse against our chicken coop, just two holes and a cross bar. Us kids used to get up on the coop and drop eggs on their heads when they were in the outhouse. We never got along with Grandpa’s brother very good. The whole family came across with Dad. The Barbens came across the same year – they came together. They lived in the same place in Switzerland. Dad was born in Bern, Switzerland. When I was a kid, I was always one to play baseball. Dad, didn’t like that. He was just against this baseball. He’d always stir up some job for us to do when there was a baseball game, and he’d do it every time. He was kind of ornery. Of course we used to have coal stoves in the winter and when I was young I used to have an awful lot of headaches. One day I was laying on the couch and I had a terrible headache. Dad came in and he wanted me to go out and saw wood. It was in the winter. He got mad at me and said, “You don’t earn your salt.” And I said, “Well I don’t get it either.” I was just getting about that age where I could fight back a little. When I got to be 18, he sent me down to Mesada to run the farm. That was when your dad (Will), Eph, and Joe had gone to Idaho. Rol went with me. We took seed grain (wheat) with us and a team of horses; and we went down the Provo Canyon in February. There was a snow slide there and we stayed overnight and camped by the railroad tracks. We got stuck on the main highway in the mud. The horses were tired and give out so we waited until the next morning. ‘Course we couldn’t go over the snow slide with the load. We had a third horse so I led the horse over the slide (which was about six feet) and we carried one sack of wheat at a time over this slide until we had all the grain on the other side. Then we got the team and took the wagon over the slide. Finally we got to Payson and then on to Mesada. We had a big tent that Joe had left and a stove; we lived in this tent all summer. By July we had a crop in and Rol and I went to Midway for the 4th of July. Dad decided he wanted to send the thrashing machine down with us. Here I was only an 18 year old kid. I said, well I don’t want Rol. We can’t get along. I want Orson. Then we had to get the thrashing machine to Mesada in July. When we got to the railroad bridge, the bridge wasn’t strong enough to hold the engine. So I had to drive it through the river. We went down the river a ways and just barely made it to the other side. We had to put water in and fire it up again. We got over to Spring Creek in Heber and had to do the same there. We had to go through Spring Creek – it put the fire out again, and we had to get the fire going and get the steam up. We were only about one half mile from Heber where we was going to load it on the flat car to take to Mesada. Dad and Luke was there and had brought some big long fat logs, and they had it all ready for me. They was telling me what to do and this and that; and I said, “Well I know what to do.” So Dad got up on the flat car and he was kind of directing me what to do. He was right in the center of the flat car. Dad thought I was going to run over him, but I stopped it on a dime. Then we pulled the thrashing machine up by train and went to Mesada. Orson and I unloaded it after we finally found a ramp that we could come down. We fired it up and rode it into Mesada. That was about 18 miles. The engine was fixed up and we could thrash. We had all the belts, and everything went along good. ‘Course we didn’t get any special jobs. We went up to our neighbors’, the Garfields, on the west bench to thrash for him; and we did a darn good job. I run the separator and I had a feller run the engine. He was an engineer and all I gave him for his work was a .22 rifle. That was all he got for his pay ‘cause I didn’t have any money. He wanted to be an engineer and wasn’t doing anything there in Mesada. ‘Course we took rye for pay. We took 16 to 20 sacks of rye for a toll. Then I had to store it somewhere. We left it with a guy named Smith and we were keeping if for seed, he had some of our wheat too. We had another little shack there and we were storing enough seed wheat for next year. They wouldn’t give us any water. They said we were pumping one inch of water (maybe it was two inches) off the Utah Lake and they was going to build some canals. That country had the best soil you ever saw. It was a shame it was on the west of the Utah Lake where you can’t use it. It was good soil and you could raise 50 bushels to the acre real easy. Well anyway we stored it there and came home. Dad had given his stock in Midway to buy this land down there and then it fell through so he got his stock back. The next year I was with Alma in American Fork and we didn’t do anything with the engine. It just had to sit there. In 1916 Alma went down to Mesada by Lehi and brought it back up to American Fork and he run it. In the meantime in the fall there we took it apart. We put in 12 flues. Orson and I ordered some pipe from the machine shop. We got 10 pipe and a pipe cutter and cut them in half and made two flues for each pipe. (How did your Dad lose the store?) He signed a note for $1,000 for Carson Smith (that was a brother of Uncle Charlie Smith that married Aunt Em). He was a salesman. He went on the farm for about 10 years and then he didn’t pay it, and Carson went into bankruptcy. That left Dad, Huber, and Coleman to pay the $1,000 and it went for three or four years and that’s what ruined Dad. They came in and took his store because he couldn’t pay his bills. They wouldn’t give him a chance. (What happened to the Hot Pots?) I worked on the hot pots. Where it came down into solid rock, we had to use powder to blow out little bits here and there, and then we put in a form and dug down a little bit to have the flue. One day I was there, Orson was with me; and I’d set a charge to blow out a little bit of rock so we could put the form in. J.B. Wilson, our neighbor there just across the alley, came out with two colts hitched to a hayrack. I had already set the charge and it was going… ‘course I had a long fuse on it. He came out with his team and wagon and opened the wire gate and just sat there. I yelled at him and yelled at him, telling him I had a charge going and get a hold of the lines. I yelled at him three or four times; but he wouldn’t pay attention to me, ‘cause I was just a kid, see. I just prayed to the Lord that it wouldn’t go off. He took his good old time. Finally, he drove the team out and let them stand, the lines just hanging on the hayrack like you do to put up the gate; and then he got back in the rack. And son of a gun if he didn’t drive off and everything was okay. If that charge had gone off, that team would have run down the road and caused hell, probably broke the wagon… we had run-a-ways lots of time. It was on September 25, 1918, I had dysentery. They picked a right dark night to march so they couldn’t see us. It was pitch dark and you could hardly see your hand in front of you. I fell out because I had dysentery. The whole regiment (11 companies) was marching a long a road going up to the Argon Forest about 9:00 at night and I had to fall out. I went off to the side of the road and I couldn’t even see. Low and behold I did a somersault down the bank and lit on my feet (had my pants down). I never hurt me a **** bit, except for a little scratch on my back, and I had my rifle. They marched on and left me, naturally. It was about five or seven minutes and then I started walking along the road. The company had halted (we rested 10 minutes out of the hour). When the 10 minutes were up I stepped off the road and just stood there. I couldn’t see anybody. I didn’t know where my company was. Pretty soon I heard a voice. A guy by the name of Zimmerman said, “Too bad Buhler got lost, he had to fall out, he’ll never make it back.” I was standing right aside of him. He said, “How in the hell did you ever find us?” I said, “Only God knows.” When we were kids, we had the smallpox. The school let out, I believe I was in about fifth grade. I was always athletic and I was good in broad jumping and running. We had commencement day when the school let out in the spring. I was running and jumping and competing and I’d had a pretty hard day. The next morning I had the smallpox. They found out and called the doctor. Mother put me in that back room all by myself away from all the other kids. I was there three weeks. I had smallpox all over my hands. I remember I had 85 on one hand – all big ones. They had this carbolic salve and I smeared that on both hands. Then she’d bring me my lunch and I’d get it from the back door. Then I was fumigated out. I was only out one day and Joe came down with it. He’d been sleeping with me, so everyone was exposed. Bonnie was the baby and she got them and she just about died… just barely made it. We thought she was going to die, but she didn’t. Alma was staying with your folks and slept in the shop. When I was fumigated out, I slept with Alma in the shop just under the ceiling. The first day I was at your place (which was just around the corner) and they had breakfast. I started for home, but I had the rheumatism and I couldn’t move any further. I stood on the corner holding on to the fence and yelled so somebody could hear me, but I couldn’t move. I guess I came out too soon and I had to go back in. Orson got it and Eph, but I don’t know about Ardell. I think the whole family got it, but your Dad, he didn’t get it. I helped work on the bath house. We got the water from up on top to run down – just a little bit of stream like what comes out of a pipe here. It wasn’t much, then we run a tunnel in to the line, about 30 feet and we didn’t go back any further than that. After we run the tunnel in we got a pipe 12 feet long and run it down the center of this tunnel in solid rock. We’d go in there and take turns and turn it – maybe an inch or two. It would be so darn hot we could only take it for about five minutes. We finally got that in there and got a little bit more water. We had a small 6 X 20 foot pool and built wood over it. We had a bigger pool also and it did pretty good. Dad decided to give Thurman the home after Mother died in 1914. The whole family decided that if Thurman would take care of Dad for the rest of his life he could have the home. Everybody agreed to it, and so did he. Then he died a young man, just 30 years old. Faye (Thurman’s wife) practically gave the home away, wanted to get on welfare. At that time she was better off than anyone in the family. But she didn’t realize it, she didn’t want it, she wanted to get on welfare so that’s what she did.

Autobiography of Orson Earl Buhler

Colaborador: susannielson Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Recorded in January 1969 I was born January 26, 1902, to Gottfried and Louise Elisa Barben at Midway, Utah. It was Sunday morning about 1:30 a.m. I went to school in Midway from the first grade to the eighth grade. I graduated from the eighth grade when I was 13. About that time Joe, my brother, filled a mission to Germany; and I remember when I was 12 years old Mother died and was buried on my birthday. There was about three or four feet of snow at that time and we used the sleighs to take her to the cemetery. Everything was bobsleds and horses that day. I have nine brothers and three sisters. The oldest brother was Franklin. He died when he was about 8 years old. William is 17 years older than me; Joe 15 years older, Alma 10 years older; Ardell, 8 years older; Francis 6 years older, Ephraim, 4 years older; Rolland, 2 years older than I am. Bernice is 2 years younger than I am. Vesta is 2 years younger than Bernice and Thurman is 2 years younger than her. That is twelve in the family. Franklin, Thurman, Ardell, Bernice, and Joe are now deceased and the rest are still living at this time. (See note at end of History) About the time I was 12 years old, we built the hot pots, called the Buhler Hot Pots. The first night the big pool was open, I got up on a big iron bar with two chains on the side and when it swung back I dived off and jumped up out of the water just as the pipe came back. It took two front teeth out of me. I’m still without them and one at the side is gone. My father had lots of horses. We had a big stable of horses in those days. My older brothers hauled freight to Park City. It would be something like a trucking firm now. It was horses and wagons in those days. I remember when I was a boy, Mary Sultzer lived next door, south of us. Her cow had a calf and she asked me to come down and haul it away in the wheelbarrow. She said it was dead or almost, so I went down and hauled it up on the mound – that’s up past our place where we kept our cows – and I was about going to dump it out in the trash. It stood up in the wheelbarrow, so I took it in and fed it milk and raised it until it was a yearling. Then the girls of Mrs. Sultzer came up and wanted the calf back, after it was grown to be a yearling. My dad wouldn’t give it to them. ‘Course I was a boy of about 14, and anyway, Father traded off the calf for 60 white leghorn chickens. It took me about six months to a year to carry off those chickens, one or two at a time. I worked at Wilson’s when I was a boy. I rode the horse to pull the hay up onto the stacks. I got a dollar a day at that time. One year, I guess when I was about 15, I went up to the sheep herd with them and I stayed up one summer and moved camp and did the cooking. Parley Probst was the herder and we went clear from Dutch Canyon pretty near over to Brighton. I moved camp, did the cooking, hauled the water, and came down to Midway with three pack horses and I packed salt and groceries up once a week to the herd. When I was 16, Ardell, my sister, lived south of Heber and her husband, Dean Clyde, was out with the herd that winter and he hired me to feed the sheep at home and milk the cows and take care of the place. Each day I hauled a load of hay up from Charleston to feed the sheep and milked the cows and tended the hogs. My recreation at night was roller skating in Heber up at Turners Hall. The next year Father and I couldn’t get along. He’d married that old mouser (we called her) another woman. Mary and I couldn’t get along at all so I wrote to Eph and I moved on up into Gannett, Idaho – that was when I was 17. I lived in Gannett one year and stayed there that winter. That winter I think the train was snowed out for six weeks. When I went to town, I had to go on skis. Eph had a Model T Ford. That was the first car I drove, I was about 18. We lived next door to Barbens. And of course Will Buhler was up there. They’d moved up there in 1914. This was in 1918-19. For the next five years Eph, Francis, and I had a cattle ranch in Bellview. After five years Francis and I came to Salt Lake and worked at the Western Seed cleaning seed and then in summer we stayed at the ranch. I did most of the stacking. We used to put about 30 tons in a stack each day. Then on Sunday I used to ride the hills for the cattle to see how they were. We did pretty good but the rustlers rustled our cattle and took them out the other way down through Carey and sold them at Paul… at the butcher shop there. They caught them all right and I think they got ten years for rustling, but it didn’t bring our cattle back to us. In 1922 I drove Frances’ horses and a wagon down from Bellview, Idaho, to Murray, Utah. It took ten and a half days. We used the horses – there were five head. Warnel Workman came down and he also had five horses. We used the horses to dig basements. I gave Francis half of what I made for his teams, and it cost just about all that to feed them, but we did pretty good and afterwards Francis sold the horses. I then carried the brick and wheeled the brick for most of the houses between West Temple and First West and just below Seventeenth South. I must have helped build about 30 houses right in there. I then got a job next in the Keith O’ Brien and Auerbachs building. I worked there for about a year remodeling. Eph needed some help at home in Idaho so I went back there and one summer helped him put up his hay and when I came back I went back to work there and that’s when I met my wife… I went with her that winter and the next spring. On March the 4, 1924, we were married. Just after I was married, I went to work at the Utah Oil. I went to work for John Barben, he was unloading coal – had a contract with them. We made a pipe derrick and used a horse to pull it off. We used a Jackson Fork and made a shovel on the bottom where the tines were. We pulled the coal out of the car over the wall and did pretty good that way. I worked there for a couple of years. John had a contract and he was cleaning stills. Joe and I took over this contract and were supposed to unload a car – that is we used to run the shovel up in the car and the other one lead the horse and take turns, but Joe couldn’t handle the shovel, so of course when one of us had to be laid off, they laid Joe off and that made Hazel mad. She thought it was terrible to lay off a married man with a bunch of children instead of somebody that just got married, but Joe couldn’t handle the shovel and wasn’t any good to John. John and I we dug basements and the coal too and then we did one batter of stills also. We did pretty good then for a couple of years. I got a job cleaning stills too. Warnel Workman was out of work so he took my place unloading coal with John and finally John couldn’t handle it anymore. His arms ached so bad and he got rheumatism so he had to quit, so I took the coal job over. Warnel wouldn’t work with me on the coal, so he took a job down on the stills too – he’d rather work for Utah Oil, so I took on a fellow by the name of Curtis with me and we did the job. In the meantime I bought a home. I moved from Salt Lake to Heber when I got laid off at Utah Oil and worked in the mines in Park City for four years. I lived in Heber and drove back and forth to the mines with a load of men. Joan and Chick were born in Heber. The mines shut down and I was laid off and moved back to Salt Lake City. I worked for two weeks at the Utah Oil and just got a couple of weeks work in and I was laid off again. They told me I’d be the next man back, but I was the next one hired back… but it was 18 months later. Will Barben had a house out there on his farm, so we went out there in that little house he had and then I got a job unloading a car of coal that fall. I unloaded it and got $2.50 in money, a check and a ton of coal. That night I looked at the side of the house and the pigs all ate up the ton of coal. The bank went broke so I lost the check, but the man made it good so we had that for Christmas. My wife’s sister, Clara, and my brother, Francis, they made Christmas for us out there – which was very, very nice. The next year on the 19th day of July I got a job back at Utah Oil and went out there in the old Buick and drove back and forth that winter. Then we moved up to Salt Lake on Concord Street where we lived for a year. I then bought this place on Navajo Street and we moved up here on Navajo. Bunny was born on Concord Street, and Ray and the twin were born on Navaho Street, when we lived there. They were only seven month babies and the twin only lived overnight. The next morning he died so Grandma and I took the baby up to the cemetery and buried it on the foot of Lilly’s (my sister-in-law’s) grave. Ray was in the incubator for two months. I had to go everyday to see him – put on the ether jacket and go in to see him. I was afraid to come home without going to see him or I’d have to go right back out. The wife couldn’t go see him, but she was home after about a week in the hospital. After I moved into this home on Navajo Street, I dug a basement under it. We didn’t have enough room so I dug a basement and put a couple of bedrooms downstairs. It was quite a job, but I didn’t mind doing it. When we first bought the house we didn’t have a cent of money to pay down. They let us buy it by paying $25.00 a month until I had the $200 down on it then went on to $15.00 a month until I had paid for it. We paid $1,500.00 for the place and that was quite a bit at that time. I had a contract on it so I could pay it off as fast as I could. I wanted to get it paid off – I wanted a roof over my head. I wanted to have a place if another depression hit like that one. That’s the worst time I’ve ever known in my life with 18 months out of work, with nothing to do nor no sound of a job, nothing came in, and everything was cheap at the time. That was a terrible time. I hope none of the children have to go through a depression like we did. I remember one night after Ray came home, we left him with Bob who was old enough to take care of him. We left him home and went to the show. Ma and I and Mrs. Burt went to see the show there on Third South at the Rialto. It was “The Last Days of Pompeii” and when we got out about 10:00 o’clock we had the car parked over across the road on Third South by the Keith O’Brien Building, and we got in the car. As we were going to get into the car a girl about 8 years old wanted to know if she could walk down past West Temple with us, she lived down there in an apartment house. We told her we had the car but she could ride down as we went past West Temple she said there were two men trying to get hold of her. This one man she showed us. He was in the restaurant there on Third South and West Temple, and as we drove down about half a block where she got out to run home, a man came across the street (a dark complexioned man – he wasn’t a Negro, he looked like a Mexican). He tried to run ahead of me and get the girl as she cut off to the other side of the car. I put the car in second and cut him off, and then he ran around and back and I was going to get out, but Mrs. Burt said, “No, he’s got a knife maybe.” So I didn’t get out. The girl got home okay so we went home. You know, the funniest feeling I ever had was that night. When we got home, Ma took care of Ray, and we went to bed. I left the car out in front of the street because I had a call for a still that night at about 2:00 a.m. I figured there was something fierce about what was bothering me, oh an awful spirit. Ma and I went to bed but I couldn’t sleep. I couldn’t even lay there, so I got up and looked around. I even looked in the clothes closet and the bathroom and couldn’t see anything. I looked out the windows and couldn’t see anything, so I laid back down again, and it was about 2:00 a.m. in the morning and it was just as dark as pitch. I said, Oh my God, what’s the matter? Oh my Lord what’s the matter with me anyway? Then the room lit up as light as day and there lay Satan between us. I said, Satan, you SOB get out of here! He grabbed me by the throat, not by the flesh, but by the spirit and he tried to pull the spirit out of me, and of course, we ranted around. He threw me all over this house here and of course Ma woke up and turned on the light, of course the big light went out, the light that went on when I said that. I thought it took about two hours to get rid of him, but it didn’t. Ma said it took about 20 minutes. We knelt down and prayed and Ma got rid of him. I couldn’t get him out, but Ma got him out. Then that feeling of the Holy Ghost, that white Spirit came over us and I felt pretty weak and pretty humble. Now I knew it was Satan. I saw him laying there and I knew it was Satan because I’d seen him before. I know I’d seen him in the spirit world. He was an awful well-looking man. He about a pretty a man – I’ve never seen a woman as pretty as Satan. He had a nice olive skin and he was formed perfect as far as I could see. He had one little freckle on his right cheekbone, but outside of that he had no more blemishes. He had long sideburns, not too long and slick black hair and they were beautiful. I’ve never seen a woman with as beautiful eyebrows as he had. He had coal black eyes. He had a red cap on, something like an overseas cap of the First World War with a yellow stripe that looked like it might be wood up the middle about three inches wide and three inches high, and it had a curve on it. I have never seen a red as beautiful as the red of his cap, and I’ve never seen a yellow in this world like that yellow. I knew I didn’t want nothing to do with Satan so I thought, well, I guess we’d better do something so Ma and I went and got our Patriarchal Blessings. We went up to the Church Office Building and Brother Woodbury didn’t know whether he wanted to give me one or not – I smelled of tobacco smoke; but he gave Mom hers first and told her she was sealed up against the power of the destroyer. When he got to me he told me that Satan would bother me all the day’s of my life. So, I know the reason for that because I’m like Thomas (the doubting Thomas). The Lord knows that he lets Satan after me I’d have to keep the commandments of God and I’d have to do what was right so I’d have power to cast him out. Brother Burt lived next door north, and he’s quite a bit older than I was, but when we started going, he wanted to go to church. He was just confirmed a member. We started going to Adult Aaronic class over at the Poplar Grove Ward. It wasn’t long then until I was ordained a priest and George was ordained a priest. Then it wasn’t long until I was ordained an Elder and of course George was ordained an Elder at the same time. Then we went to the temple and had our families sealed to us, and George went at the same time and had their sealing done. Bishop Snider asked me to go out to the farm and plow beets. I was working six hour shifts at Utah Oil at the time, so I went down and worked at the farm. Brother Heath was on the tractor and the plow was on behind. He said, “Are you going to help?” I said, “Yeah, I’ll help you.” So I put my right hand on the left handle of the plow and he said, get a stride of it, and I said, “Oh, no, I’ll plow this way, if you’ll drive the tractor, I’ll do the plowing.” So we went on down the row and he stopped pretty soon and looked back, and I still had it all right. We made about three rounds and he saw that I was still plowing, so he said he was in second gear, could he go in third gear? So he went in third gear, and we plowed until 6 o’clock. That gave them enough for the toppers when they came down after their regular work that night, and I went to plow beets then until they were all plowed. It took us about two or three weeks to get them all plowed. Then they asked me to be a work director. I didn’t care much about it but I did take the job. And, of course, I had to meet with the committee and President Childs was Stake President and Perschone was 1st Counselor, Drury was 2nd Counselor in the Stake Presidency. I went to Priesthood meeting one morning and President Child got up and said I recommend Orson Buhler for a High Priest, and I almost fell through the bench. I was passed on then I had to over to President Drury over at Welfare Square, he was a bishop over there, He asked me, “”Are you morally clean and fit to be a High Priest?” and I said, “Well, I might be morally clean but I’m not fit to be a High Priest. He said, “Well a lot of us feel that way.” Anyway they made me a High Priest in 1944 and President Perschon ordained me a High Priest and in it he said I’d be President of Quorum one day. I came home and told the wife and children, “That’s pretty good to put me in the High Priests and promise me presidency of the quorum (chuckles).” Anyway that happened. After I was released as Bishop in 1956 then I was put in as counselor to President Glause and he lived about a year and then he died, and I was put in as President. I held that for 8 years and I had as my counselors Brother Warner, and McDermott, and McDermott fell down an elevator shaft one Sunday. We were visiting and he went to work Sunday at about 12:00 o’clock, I guess, and at 7:00 he fell down the shaft. My Bob was a Sergeant of the police, and he was the one that helped bring him out. Then I got Brother William Vonk of the 32nd Ward – he was my counselor. While I held that position, I took a job over at Welfare Square as a guide. I worked there for three years as a guide, then I was put in charge of the guides, and I’ve been in that for two years. One year I was Assistant to the President of the Guides; the last two years I’ve been in charge of the guides, and I’m still there at this time, January, 1969. I want to go back now and tell about a couple of experiences I’ve had at the Temple. One time when I was an Elder during the war, I came out of the temple on North Temple Street and got in my car and made a U-turn. You could do it in those days, and as I went down to the viaduct a soldier was crossing the street and something said to me, “Pick that soldier up.” I picked him up, he happened to be a pilot. My voice was taken over, I guess by the Holy Ghost, and this is the way it went… My voice said to him, “You knelt at your bed ten minutes ago in your hotel room and asked the Lord, and I’m here to answer your prayers. You’ve wanted to know which place you’re going to - either Asia or Europe. You’re going to Europe. You’re going to England and you’re going to fly many trips over Germany, but if you keep yourself unspotted from sins of this generation, you won’t be hurt, you’ll come home. You’re second question was about your father and mother. Your father and mother are fine. They’ll be there when you get back.” He asked what religion I was, I told him I was a Mormon. He said he’d met some Mormons in the CC Camp in Idaho. The only Mormons he had met. When I got to 9th West and turned south I stopped to let him off. He wanted to know where he could go to a chapel to thank the Lord and I told him there were plenty of chapels but there wasn’t one open in the weekdays. I told him there would be one about every third or fourth block in the valley, but where ever he went, it didn’t matter where, anyplace in the world, that he’d be allowed to go, there would either be Mormon missionaries or Mormon chapels and Mormon wards and then he left and the Holy Ghost went out, and then the tears just rolled down my cheeks and I had to stop and get control of myself before I could go on. I’ve often wondered why I let him off there and didn’t take him out to the airport, but had I taken him out to the airport he’d have mixed with the other boys, he wouldn’t have had time to think about what had happened to him. This way he was going to walk anyway and I gave him a lift of about five or six blocks, so I didn’t put him out any. Another time when I went to the temple, when I went to get my name for the endowment, they asked me if I’d work at the Baptismal Font. I said no, I’d be late for work, I have to get through and out. They did that three times and I turned them down all three times and my wife, she was the ward and stake baptism woman and one time we were there I went up and did an endowment while she took the boys and girls down to be baptized. I went down into the baptismal room to see if she was ready to go and Oh, Brother! There were 300 spirits in there getting their baptisms done. I crowded up through there to ask the boys from our ward if Ma was there and she’d been up to the font so I got out of there again. I couldn’t speak for 20 minutes. I know for a surety that the spirits came there to get their baptisms done and get their endowments at the temple. It’s a wonderful experience and it’s quite a testimony to me to know that those spirits come for a surety. Of all the things I read about, I’ll never get as much out of them as I get out of my temple experiences. When Ray was on his mission we were just going to bed out on the front porch and something said to me, “Send Ray $10 he needs it.” Of course we found out later that he really did need it. His partner was transferred and he gave him all his money to depart on and left himself broke so he went down to the post office and his money was there. Typist note: This was dictated to a tape recorded in 1969, as noted on this page, when it was typed in 1974, and the brothers and sisters were listed, Ardell is listed as being deceased, but she died in 1974 just prior to the typing of these sheets.

Life timeline of Carl Roland Buhler

Carl Roland Buhler was born on 17 Oct 1899
Carl Roland Buhler was 6 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
See More
Carl Roland Buhler was 15 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
See More
Carl Roland Buhler was 30 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
See More
Carl Roland Buhler was 40 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Carl Roland Buhler was 46 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
See More
Carl Roland Buhler died on 27 Jan 1958 at the age of 58
Grave record for Carl Roland Buhler (17 Oct 1899 - 27 Jan 1958), BillionGraves Record 5108267 Midway, Wasatch, Utah, United States