Emma H. Hillyard

31 Jul 1861 - 5 Jan 1936

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Emma H. Hillyard

31 Jul 1861 - 5 Jan 1936
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Emma H. Hillyard (31 Jul 1861 - 5 Jan 1936) at Smithfield City Cemetery in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Emma H. Hillyard
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Emma H. Hillyard


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


April 8, 2012


March 31, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about EMMA H....

We found more records about Emma H. Hillyard.

Grave Site of EMMA H.


Emma H. Hillyard is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Emma Louise Harper (by Evelyn Hillyard Hansen and Eunice Hillyard Davis)

Colaborador: DdraigGoch Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Emma Louisa Harper Hillyard Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa. Born: 31 July 1861 Philadelphia, Pa. Died: 05 Jan 1936 Smithfield, Cache, Utah Pioneer: 18 Oct 1862 Henry Miller Co Emma Louisa Harper Hillyard was born 31 July 1861 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was the 8th child to be born to Richard Harper and Susann Faulkner Harper. Her parents had heard and accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ ten years earlier in England, their native land. Her father was a shoemaker by trade. They had been saving towards having enough money to buy a team, food and clothing to go to Salt Lake City, since their arrival in Philadelphia, 3 July 1857. Emma was just a year old when she boarded a train with her family to go from Philadelphia to Florence, Nebraska. There they joined the Henry Miller wagon train and set out across the plains. Her father walked all the way and often told her how he had tied her on his back and had given her a ride when she got tired riding in the wagon. Her older brother and sisters lovingly helped care for her along the way. Emma arrived in the Salt Lake Valley 18 oct 1862, and lived there for the next two years. In the fall of 1864, her family moved to their permanent home in Zion, Smithfield, Cache, Utah. Her first home was a one-room log house with a dirt roof. Two of the children had died young in Pennsylvania, and so there were six children and the parents in this one room log house. After Emma had grown up she could still remember how happy she was with her first new dress. It was made of brown denims; her others had been remodeled from some of her older sister's dresses. Her next dress was of linsey. Emma’s first and only doll was made of wood, with eyes, nose, and mouth painted on. But perhaps no doll has ever been loved more as she was now getting quite old and she had never owned a doll. The family money could only be spent for necessities in those days and this wonderful doll was brought from Salt Lake City on one of those long trips by team and wagon. Like most pioneer children she was taught to work while very young. She helped her older sisters make candles, as that was their only light for many years. She learned to knit, while very young so that she might help with the family knitting. When Emma remembered her first time going to Sunday school, it was in the wintertime and she wore a shawl around her shoulders. She could only go part of the time, as there was only one shawl that she and her sister Harriet must share. Quite often she would cry when it was her turn to stay home, as going to Sunday school was the one and only big event of the week. By the next winter, they were able to buy another shawl. From this time on she attended Sunday school and sacrament meeting almost every time. Sacrament meetings were held for two hours and sometimes longer in those days. They didn't have comfortable seats and beautiful meeting houses as we do today. When she was sixteen she joined the choir. She loved music and all kinds, but especially she loved to sing the songs of Zion. She sang in the choir until after she was married. Her father, a shoemaker, had always made her shoes out of heavy leather, but she never complained although they were patched many times, as many children had no shoes at all, even when it was very cold. Later, after she had worked in the store for a little while, she bought herself some finer shoes. Emma also helped with the family garden and worked in the fields, as they were a family of eight girls and only one boy as she was growing up in Smithfield. Much of the work had to be done by hand, so while her father and brother cut the small patch of grain with the scythe, she helped rake it in piles and then tied it in bundles. They would then glean for every head of grain that had been missed in the raking. Emma helped in the grasshopper time and with her father, mother, brother and sisters, were able to save most of the five acres of wheat from destruction. She helped to strip sugar cane so it could be made into molasses for winter. She was happy when she could make her parents work a little lighter. Emma started school when she was seven years old, in the first school house built in Smithfield. It stood just north of where the junior high now stands. She went to school until she was seventeen years old. She then became a clerk in the store owned by Thomas Richardson. She stayed there five years. She belonged to the Retrenchment Association (M.I.A.) when it was first organized in Smithfield. There she learned to braid straw for hats. She married William Hillyard 15 October 1884 in the Logan temple. They were the second couple from Smithfield to be married in that temple. They had kept company with each other for three years previous. They went to many dances together, before and after their marriage. After Annie their first child was born, they took her with them: once asleep they could make a bed for her on the stage, where many other babies were sleeping, and she would sleep right through till the end of the dance. Before their marriage, William bought three acres of land in the extreme northeast corner of Smithfield and proceeded to build a three-room house with lumber from his father's lumber mill. This was a large house for young folks in those days. He also provided a small shed for his animals. In the fall her husband helped his brother with the threshing, and this necessitated Emma milking their three cows. Later when he was on his mission she and their oldest daughter Annie were to care for six cows. Emma was an excellent homemaker and mother and showed her great resourcefulness when her husband was called on a mission to the British Isles Nov 1899, leaving her with five children the oldest a girl 14, and the youngest a baby of 8 months. Another example is how she prepared for marriage. Saving from the $15.00 and $20.00 a month she earned at the store, she purchased or made blinds, curtains, rag carpets, rugs, and quilts that had been pieced and quilted by hand. The wool that was in them had been washed and carded by hand. Emma did not have a cedar chest in those days, but she asked a Mr. Preston Moorhead to make her a chest from white pine. This she filled with bed linen, table linen and many pieces of material for future use. There were so many useful things that came out of that chest that her husband said there must be no bottom to it. Emma's wedding dress was made of light blue Casmir. The waist, or bask as it was then called, fit very tight and pretty blue buttons were all down the front. The skirt was very full and long. When her first daughter Annie was two years old, she cut the skirt up and made her a dress, coat, and bonnet out of it. She was of a happy disposition and had many friends. The neighbors and friends with whom she played while a little child were always very dear to her. She would say, "they are almost like my own folk". At the time she worked in the store, she knew all the people in Smithfield and many from Hyde Park. She was always kind to the people from the old country, who knew very little of the English language. Emma was always a pal to her children. She loved to be with the young folk and could laugh and enjoy their jokes. She enjoyed better health than the average person, but she also had known sickness and pain. She had rheumatism one winter while she was a girl and suffered a great deal. For a while she could not feed herself. From this she was left with leakage of the heart. She had another attack the winter of 1887, which lasted several weeks. In Feb. 1912 she was stricken with typhoid fever. There were days when the doctor could give the family but little hope of her recovery. Her great desire to live helped her to fight the battle for her life. She was taught to pray at her mother’s knee and always gave thanks to God for restoring her to health and strength. She was always happy to bear her testimony to the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, to praise her father and mother for having the courage to leave their by Evelyn Hillyard Hansen and Eunice Hillyard Davis comfortable home in England, and make the long journey over land and sea, so that they might raise their children with the saints in the valleys of the mountains, as they were advised to do at that time. Bibliography Material from Hillyard Family submittals on Pioneer Women,

The Richard Harper Family History

Colaborador: DdraigGoch Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

This story was prepared by W Hazen Hilliard and presented to the Smithfield Chapter of the Sons of the Utah Pioneers on June 13, 1956. Richard Harper, son of Richard Harper and Harriet Edwards Harper, was born April 5, 1827 at Sleasford, Lincolnshire England. He married Susan Faulkner, daughter of William Faulkner and Ellen Fox Faulkner, of Anwich, Lincolnshire, England, on August 16, 1849. Grandmother was born June 17, 1827, being six weeks younger than grandfather. Their wedding was a Church of England ceremony. They had a family of 11 children, two boys and nine girls as follows: Betsy Ann, wife of Joseph Hill; William Faulkner, who married Eleanor Jannette Morrell; Eliza, wife of Joseph Richardson; Richard Nephi, born February 4, 1856 and died July 25, 1857; Harriett Edwards, born July 18, 1857 and died in August 1857; Ellen Fox, who married James Hill; Harriet Lovisa, who married Willis Kelsey; Emma Louisa, who married William Hillyard; Alice Susann, who married Lars Lorenzo Toolson; Ida Fannie, who married Alberto John Merrill; Lucy Jane, born November 2, 1868 and died January 11, 1869; and Tacy Snow, who married Joseph Buxton. Grandfather spent his boyhood days in his native town, doing the things boys usually do, but when possible sought employment if available, indicating at an early age a spirit of thrift and independence. At the age of 12 he was apprenticed with the shoemaking trade under expert worksmen. This training was the means of him being able to get employment during crucial periods in his early life and later operating his own business. On February 28, 1851, two years after they were married and just before their 24th birthdays, they were baptized and confirmed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They were living in Sleaford, England, at the time. Grandfather owned and operated a shoe store. His first child, Betsy Ann, was born in Sleaford on June 9, 1850. It was at this time they first heard the gospel of Jesus Christ taught by the Mormon missionaries. The story of this incident is told as follows by older members of the family: "One day while father was working in his shop, his brother, George, came in and said "Richard, the Mormons are in town and will speak on a certain corner in town tonight, let us go and hear them. You are learned in the Bible and will know if they quote "correctly. " Richard answered, "No, I do not care to go and hear them as I have heard so many stories about them." His brother insisted so he decided to go that evening. There were two elders, one older than the other, with the older man taking charge. They started promptly with just a few to listen. From the time of the song until the close of the meeting, my father, quoting Uncle Will Harper, said "He experienced a feeling throughout his body that he had never felt before in regards to religion. Being a good singer, father was pleased in both words and music; and then the prayer, he had never heard anything like it before. It was so simple, yet so far reaching, asking our Father in Heaven to bless all the honest in heart the world over, that they might be ready and willing to receive the gospel of life and salvation when they heard it. Then there was another song, followed by each elder in turn who spoke on the first principles of the gospel and how it had been restored in these latter days. There was the closing song and prayer. And so it was, at the close of the meeting, my father, quoting Uncle Will, felt there was something to this religion that would bear investigating. On reaching home, and telling his wife where he had been and how he felt, he was stirred to further study. Mother, says Uncle Will, was a little disgusted with father for going to one of those Mormon meetings. After some time in persuading mother, she joined father in one of the meetings and had several talks with the elders. From then on the elders were invited to the Harper home where they were entertained with the best they had. Following these contacts the Harpers decided the gospel was true and asked for baptism, which they received February 28, 1851." I presume grandfather and grandmother Harper made their home in Sleaford up until the time they left, with their four children (Betsy Ann, William F, Eliza and Richard) for Liverpool en-route to America. It was May 30, 1857, six years after they joined the church that they left their native land, and those near and dear to them, for their new home. They took passage on the ship "Tuscarora" in company with six hundred other Latter-Day Saint converts. Grandfather Harper was selected out of that number as President of the company. That call or assignment was certainly a single honor, and highly indicative of the respect and confidence in which he was held by the church authorities. He had previously proven his worth as a leader in the Church while serving as Brand President in his local community. Records bear evidence of the love and admiration which was accorded grandfather by that large company of people, for the manner he supervised and organized. He gained much favor and admiration from the ship's captain and was given personal favors, as well as for his company, by the ships crew. On numerous occasions he was made the guest of the captain. The Tuscarora landed in Philadelphia on July 3, 1857 (Uncle Will's birthday) taking six weeks enroute. The experience of of the voyage would be an interesting story in itself. The following is taken from a newspaper clipping telling of the Harper's arrival in America: Quote: (The newspaper story was entitled "Another Herd of Mormons" as published in the Philadelphia newspaper. This article was later published in The Millennial Star, September 5, 1857). "Should the Salt Lake settlement continue to drain the old country of their peasantry, as they are now doing, the Mormons will soon become a strong people. Another cargo arrived at the foot of Walnut Street yesterday, per packet ship Tuscarora, consisting of 650 souls. The entire multitude were Mormons except one Irishman. They hail from Sweden, Denmark, Great Britain; the majority being from the latter country. "Our reported boarded the ship on arrival, threaded his way through the disciples, who thronged the decks and sought out the president or elder of the party. They found him to be the person of Richard Harper, a fair type of English mechanic - dusty, vigorous and healthy. He became a convert to Mormonism about five years since, through the preaching of itinerant Mormons who visited Lincolnshire, his native country. Harper declared the truths uttered by this vagabond Mormon were so irresistible that he yielded implicit credence to them. Feeling, therefore, like Paul “Woe to me if I preach not the gospel” he in turn became an exhorted Elder and finally President of the Societies of the district. He then determined to form a company to emigrate to Utah, of what success a reader can judge for himself. He is accompanied by his wife and four children. The condition and appearance of the passengers are better than we have seen on any emigrant ship. The contrast between these Mormons, in point of cleanliness and apparent comfort, with the passengers of the “Saranak,” a ship at an adjoining pair, which was just them discharging a load of Irish was strictly in favor of the former. Their cheerfulness, too, was remarkable, but is accorded for by their unity in care in disposing of their baggage, all of which was attended to by Mr. Angus Cannon, agent for the emigrant Societies. Then the ship hauled into her berth, there was crowd of boarding house ready to extend their good offices, but all their attentions were entirely superfluous and the Mormons saved their money. Each family pays his own expenses. The cargo of the “Wasserland”, which arrived three weeks ago, was entirely from the continent and was sort of joint stock concern. Not so with this. Indeed, only about a third of them are going direct to Utah, the remainder will remain in the states until they can earn sufficient money to carry them out. One English woman, whose dress and address were alike refined, informed us that she was a dressmaker, and would remain here if she could obtain employment, otherwise she would go with the others to Salt Lake City. There were quite a lot of seamstresses aboard who were eager to know whether employment could be readily obtained while mechanics of the opposite sex were no less inquisitive. We were much surprised at the degree of conversance which these people have gained from the holy scriptures. A man to whom we spoke upon the subject of Mormonism, under the impression that he was utterly ignorant of the bible, astounded us by an exposition of his creed, backed by scriptures quotations so apt that none but a well-versed theologian need to attempt an argument with him. It is unfair to characterize these Mormons as unlettered, or charge them with embarrassing the dread for the mere sake of promised happiness in an ideal country. On the contrary, they seem fully to realize the hardships before them and to have their eyes open to the fact that they must earn their bread by patient toil, upon arriving in Utah. They seem to be a moral and correct set of people, with no such ideas as we find existing in the land of Brigham Young. While on shipboard there were religious services, three times on Sunday and every morning and evening during the week. No intercourse was permitted between the crew and passengers. The president, Harper, was the mouthpiece of the tribe. The mode of address among each other was Brother or Sister, while their interaction seemed to be cordial and affectionate.” The Harper family made their home in Philadelphia for five years. Two years after their arrival twin girls were born, Harriet and Ellen. Harriet died shortly after. Richard, who was one and a half years old when they left England, died July 25, 1857, just between the birth of Harriet and her death. Two other girls were born in Philadelphia, Harriet Lovisa and Emma. The family had stopped in Philadelphia to earn money to take them on to their “Promised Land.” Grandfather set up a shoe manufacturing business. While residing at this place grandfather was called to preside over the branch there. George Q. Cannon, President to that mission, frequently visited the branch and usually made the Harper house his headquarters. It was while the family was at Philadelphia that Betsy Ann met with a serious accident which left her a cripple, and in need of a crutch most of the rest of her life. The doctors consulted and reported that only an amputation could save her life. This report caused great concern with the family. Grandfather, a man of great faith and implicit faith in prayer, had supplicated the Lord for guidance for this problem. Following the counsel of the doctors plans were made for the operation; the patient was placed on the table for surgery. At that moment grandfather was impressed that they should go no further. Aunt Betsy Ann's body was full of poison from the infection that had formed on her leg. As grandfather was leaving the hospital a lady, who had been watching the proceedings, asked grandfather what the trouble was. Being informed, the lady said she was sure she could save the girl's life by applying a salve poultice. She neither had the salve nor the money to buy it; the cost would be $5.00. Grandfather purchased the salve and the application was made. In just a few days the infection was drawn from the leg and Aunt Betsy Ann soon recovered but her leg was left stiff. During one of those visits of President Cannon to the Harper home he blessed Betsy Ann and promised her that if she remained faithful to the Gospel the day would come when she could walk without a crutch. Nearly forty years passed before this promise was fulfilled; this was done through another accident in which she fell down her cellar steps while living in Smithfield, Utah. In the fall and adjustment was made in her leg which made it possible for her to walk the rest of her life without a crutch. On June 17, 1862, the Harper family left Philadelphia by train for Florence, Nebraska. On the trip the baggage car was set on fire. The passenger car was cut loose from the baggage car and ran five miles ahead. The clothing of the passengers, which of course included the Harpers, was destroyed by fire, ruined or stolen. The family remained at Florence six weeks in an attempt to get resupplied before continuing their journey west. They were in the Henry Miller company and Samuel Merrill was teamster. I have heard my mother tell that in their travels across the plains, she was carried by her father as she was less than a year old. Grandfather was selected as captain over a given number of men. The order had been given there would be no traveling or work by any member of the company on Sundays. One Sunday morning a man came riding up to grandfather quite excited, to tell him that a woman was seen washing and an investigation was to be made. Grandfather in the dignity of his calling went straight out to make the investigation; who should it be breaking the Sabbath but grandmother! As was customary, all adult men and women, and older children, were to walk the total distance across the plains from Florence to Salt Lake City. The company arrived in late October 1862. They spent two years in Salt Lake City; grandfather being engaged in his chosen occupation, then coming to Smithfield with Seth Langdon, one of Smithfield's early pioneers. They secured for themselves a lot a 2nd South on the property later owned by George Toolson. Their housing quarters was scant at first but as time and means provided they added on. Their first child to be born in Smithfield was Alice on January 18, 1865. Many hardships and privations had been encountered by the grandparents and the members of the family by this time; but their faith and courage was undaunted. They faced their new conditions, which were to bring further problems, cheerfully. The most important thing to them was they had reached their destination in travel and they could make permanent plans for their future home. Here begins a new life for them, coordinated and cooperative, with humble and modest beginnings, yet resulting in superior achievements to themselves, their children and the community, the church, the schools, civic affairs and in general culture. Although not schooled in arts, sciences and literacy, due to lack of opportunities in their day, we do see many evidences of hereditary instincts tucked away in their souls, with natural abilities, which did show forth in their daily tasks accomplished, and passed on with increased interest and attainments by those of their descendants, which is now represented in the fifth generation. If time would permit we could make personal references to many of their descendants, who in their ambitions and attainments, in specialized fields, are rendering service of superior quality in the home as homemakers, in the fields with crops and herds, in the field of education, through music, sciences and arts, both in supervising and directing, as well as in the teaching profession; in service to the community and the country through honored positions held and commendable filled; in civic organizations and projects; in professional fields of medicine, dentistry, engineering, high officials in the military service. With all these lines of service for temporal and moral achievement, we find the descendants of this worthy couple, with an inherited love for truth as found in the gospel of Jesus Christ, taking their places in leadership and service in the same church which their forbearers embraced in their native land. The responsibility of carrying the gospel message to the people of the earth, far and near, has been born by a considerable number. They have filled positions of trust in all ward and stake auxiliary organizations. They have served in priesthood capacity from President of the deacon quorum to president of the stake High Priest quorum. From their number we find many who have served in bishoprics, counselors, bishops, ward and stake clerks, High Council and other important callings in the priesthood in stake capacity. The Master taught “We do not gather figs off thistles,” so as a tribute to our great progenitors, those of us who have made these special contributions to people and communities, should be humbled in a realization, that back of their personal attainments there was character, vision, and a humble desire to serve, as exemplified in the lives of their forebears. “Silver and gold I have not,” said Peter, “but such as I have I give unto you.” Those words could have been as truly said by grandfather and grandmother Harper. In grandmother's time and place inn England there was little or no chance for education from schools and places of learning. She availed herself of every opportunity for study and its associated experiences. One special opportunity came to her as a student in child nursing, assisting her with house keeping in later years in homes or cultural families. Music and literary facilities were available and influences of educational values were dominant. These experiences and opportunities touched a sympathetic cord in her life which she built upon in every way possible. Her responsibilities in life were more in the home by caring for a large family in their many details, and by cooperatively assisting her companion in the duties of life. She joined with him in his special appointments and recognition and in having distinguished church visitors at her home. Being a good homemaker her contributions cannot be minimized. The field of education was uppermost in the mind of our grandparents. Some of their children chose teaching as a vocation; the father spent years as a school board member and two of his daughters served as school board members. From the records we would find that many of the descendants of this worthy couple would have their names on the rolls as teachers in elementary school, high schools and colleges, filling the positions with credit. After reaching Smithfield the family endured many hardships but never waned in their courage or integrity for the activities of the Mormon church. Grandfather turned immediately to his shoe shop business, accepting for pay services rendered, cash or whatever food supplies his patrons had to offer. (At that time wheat was valued at $5.00 a bushel). As he could, grandfather purchased field property. For help on his farm in later years he was dependent on his young daughters, who were very willing and took their place in manual labor. They gleaned the fields, participated in the cricket plague and grasshopper problems. Richard Harper's community service was very efficient and sought after. His church service was likewise superior and very intensive. He arrived in Smithfield when many enterprises and new industries were budding into future possibilities. (This was 5 years after Smithfield was settled). Roads had to be laid out and built, trustees to be found for schools who could visualize, irrigation ditches, large and small, to be made; church buildings to be built; teachers to man the schools; bridges had to be built; town officers to be chosen; timber to be brought from the hills to supply fuel and building needs; care for the sick had to be provided for, both in spiritual and physical emergencies. Well, in these experiences grandfather and grandmother found their places. For four consecutive terms (2 years each) from 1880 to 1887 inclusive, grandfather served the people of Smithfield as City Councilman. His judgment was accepted; he was courageous in thought and action. He served thirteen years as watermaster, which then, as now, is a thankless position. In that capacity he helped to create and develop projects. As stated above he served many years as a member of the school board of trustees. During that time two school buildings were erected. His personal interest in education was not alone with members of his immediate family, but many other young men and young women were encouraged to get teachers training at the higher places of learning. He stood for clean moral standards in school for the teachers and officers. I hope I shall not be misunderstood by making references to some of the services in which this family have found places. I mention these things not as a recognition to services rendered as individuals, but as a compliment to the integrity and high ideals of great progenitors, who pioneered when things were much more difficult. Under those conditions our pioneers gave an influence which had a lasting impression in molding a pattern for future security. Any position of trust and honor which we descendants of grandfather and grandmother Harper fill with credit, in building up church or country, is not alone done of ourselves, but through an inherited instinct which was passed on to us through our heritage. Agriculture in this area has been greatly benefited through scientific practices by members of this family. I am sure Uncle Will Harper would be recognized by experts in his contribution, especially in raising more and better potatoes per acre. His practices were followed by his son, Archie, who not only brought increased production from his own farm, but his counsel in better farm methods helped many others. Dairying, through better breeding and care of animals, as done in improved husband-like manner by members of the family has helped to bring to Cache Valley and Utah the attention of dairy men all over the country. Grandfather Harper was a man of peace, but he felt that principle came first. This standard of thinking has dominated the policies of his family; whether at home on local matters or in issues of national importance; it mattered not. Along with the service of administering peace through the officers of the government, or in taking gun in hand and defending our borderlines, it was always the principle involved. To the call of their nation many of this number have found their places. At least three have made the supreme sacrifice. In this line of service, many leaders have been chosen, one reaching the honored rank of Colonel. As the lives of our grandparents commenced at practically the same time and place, so did their passing from mortal life come within a few weeks of each other. For some years grandmother had poor health, suffering with a heart ailment. Much of her duties in later years had to be left to members of the family. The last month or so she was unable to lie down. She sat in her big chair where she slept and ate the best she could. A dropsical condition had set in and she was practically and invalid. Grandmother passed away on October 11, 1891. Grandfather had been very attentive, indulging grandmother in every way possible until he was completely worn out. The strain from strenuous service had weakened his heart. The morning of November 13, 1891 (five weeks after the death of grandmother) which was a very cold morning, grandfather went out into the yard to care for the animals. He had been gone longer than was usual, or considered necessary. A search was made for him and he was found toppled over against the hay stack, having died suddenly of a heart attack. Two lives which had so closely interwoven in the affairs of life, through home, community and church problems, had now passed on, leaving a record of many accomplishments which would do honor to any one. God bless their memory that it shall be forever cherished by their descendants. Written by W. Hazen Hillyard, Smithfield, Utah June 13, 1958

Memorial information Emma Louisa Harper Hillyard

Colaborador: DdraigGoch Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Birth: Jul. 31, 1861 Philadelphia Philadelphia County Pennsylvania, USA Death: Jan. 5, 1936 Smithfield Cache County Utah, USA Daughter of Richard Harper and Susann Faulkner Married William Hillyard, 15 Oct 1884, Logan, Cache, Utah Family links: Parents: Richard Harper (1827 - 1891) Susann Faulkner Harper (1827 - 1891) Spouse: William Hillyard (1860 - 1927)* Children: Mary Ann Hillyard Anderson (1885 - 1913)* Amy Susan Hillyard (1890 - 1890)* William Hazen Hillyard (1893 - 1992)* Richard Truman Hillyard (1895 - 1989)* Joseph Wayman Hillyard (1899 - 1998)* Alma Lowell Hillyard (1901 - 1980)* Thomas Melvin Hillyard (1903 - 1984)* Siblings: Betsy Ann Harper Hill (1850 - 1913)* William Faulkner Harper (1852 - 1929)* Eliza Lovina Harper Richardson (1853 - 1935)* Harriet Louisa Harper (1859 - 1922)* Emma Louisa Harper Hillyard (1861 - 1936) Alice Susann Harper Toolson (1865 - 1914)* Ida Fannie Harper Merrill (1867 - 1921)* Lucy Jane Harper (1868 - 1869)* Tacy Snow Harper Buxton (1871 - 1953)* *Calculated relationship Burial: Smithfield City Cemetery Smithfield Cache County Utah, USA Plot: A_12_3

Life timeline of Emma H. Hillyard

Emma H. Hillyard was born on 31 Jul 1861
Emma H. Hillyard was 16 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Emma H. Hillyard was 22 years old when Krakatoa begins to erupt; the volcano explodes three months later, killing more than 36,000 people. Krakatoa, or Krakatau, is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic 1883 eruption.
Emma H. Hillyard was 30 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Emma H. Hillyard was 44 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Emma H. Hillyard was 56 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Emma H. Hillyard was 59 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Emma H. Hillyard died on 5 Jan 1936 at the age of 74
Grave record for Emma H. Hillyard (31 Jul 1861 - 5 Jan 1936), BillionGraves Record 899370 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States