Edith Veneta Anderson

29 May 1897 - 13 Jul 1993

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Edith Veneta Anderson

29 May 1897 - 13 Jul 1993
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Edith Veneta Hurd was born on 29 May 1897 in Stone, Oneida, Idaho. She married Irvin Alfred Andersen on 10 December 1917 in Hillspring Alberta She was a great lady and had a keen intellect. She had a deep devotion to God. She practiced the tenets of her religion in her dealings with others. Edith an
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Edith Veneta Anderson
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Edith Veneta Anderson


Barnwell Cemetery

Township Road 95
Taber, Division No. 2, Alberta


October 30, 2013


September 28, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Edith Veneta...

We found more records about Edith Veneta Anderson.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Edith Veneta


Edith Veneta Anderson is buried in the Barnwell Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Edith Veneta Hurd - Great Lady

Colaborador: melohnt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Edith Veneta Hurd was born on 29 May 1897 in Stone, Oneida, Idaho. She married Irvin Alfred Andersen on 10 December 1917 in Hillspring Alberta She was a great lady and had a keen intellect. She had a deep devotion to God. She practiced the tenets of her religion in her dealings with others. Edith and Irvin made Barnwell Alberta their home. Grandma planted and harvested a large vegetable garden on the farm. The garden supported the family throughout the long winters. Grandma loved to grow flowers in her beautiful flowerbeds. She loved to paint landscape pictures on canvas. Family gatherings were never too big. Grandma prepared huge meals in order to bring everyone together and have her family close to her. She loved to sew and made clothes for her children and grandchildren. Later in life she turned her focus to making afghans & quilts as well. Grandma and grandpa moved to a small house that Boyd built for them next to Boyd and Betty's home in Barnwell. She was there only a few more years after grandpa died. She spent the final years of her life in the extended care at Taber hospital. She passed away on the 13th of July 1993 at the age of 96. She was loved and admired by all who knew her.

Myrl Johnson - Early Marriage and Motherhood

Colaborador: melohnt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As written by Myrl in her memoir: Melvin was born in this house on his father's birthday, the 31st of October 1919. It was very cold and the snow was about a foot deep. It stayed very cold all winter. Melvin was a healthy baby and got along fine. Grandma Allred came and stayed with us when he was born. Mother and Dad still lived at the old farm and I longed to go back. We spent most of our Sundays there. In 1919 Garth was born, 21 July. He had dark hair and brown eyes and was a great little fellow. Then on the 9th of January 1921 Gerald was born. He had blue eyes and blonde curly hair and had such winning ways. On the 2nd of April 1923 Marie was born, blue eyes and dark hair and so cute. Grandma Allred lived there with the folks then and Marie being the last baby they all enjoyed her so much. Grandma made quilts and rugs and did a lot of hand work. She had her own little house by the side of the folks but ate her meals with them. We only lived about three and a half miles from them but I sure loved to go home and be with them on the farm. In February 1920 we bought 60 acres of the quarter of land that Irvin had, and we moved to a little one roomed house down by the side of Irvin and Edith, and stayed there that summer. Hillman went out to work and Irvin stayed home and put in all the crops for both of us, and then we divided everything even. The crop was all up nice and green when the winds started to blow. It blew so hard and so many days that the crops were either buried with sand or blown out and the air was so full of dust it was hard to see anywhere. Some of the machinery and lots of the fences were buried up too. After about three weeks the wind stopped blowing. Some of the grain came up again and we had fair crops. There were not trees in the country then but ditches were being built that summer and we were all looking forward to having trees and gardens as well as other crops. We would pack up a lunch and get in our buggy's and go to the river for a picnic as that was the only place where there were any trees and water. We picked lots of berries there too. We tied branches on our buggy's to decorate them. We had Snap on our buggy on this side and Clarence had Black Prince on his buggy. The prairie was big and flat with only the telephone lines and fences and a few farm homes to see. We made the best of everything and had lots of good times together. The first home we owned was the fourth house that we had lived in after we were married and is on the sixty acres of land we bought. We moved into it the fall of 1920 and the next spring we planted trees all around, some of which we dug up at the river. The next summer on the 29th of July, 1921, Phyllis was born there. Mother came and stayed with me for a while. Phyllis had blonde hair and blue eyes and was a healthy baby and grew good and was so cute and we loved her so much. The trees grew very fast as we had the irrigation now and could water all we needed to. We had good gardens and lots of flowers and a lawn and Melvin and Phyllis played good together. Melvin always took good care of Phyllis and didn't let her get very far away. When he started to school he had to walk a half a mile alone and he didn't like to go alone very well. After Phyllis started school they didn't make any fuss about going at all. On December 12, 1923 we got on the train and went to Cardston to go to the temple. On December 13, 1923 we went through for the first time and were sealed for time and eternity. Melvin and Phyllis were sealed to us at that time. We stayed over night and came home on the train the next day. We didn't have any cars in those days, but they were very happy days. We worked hard planting our little farm and fixing our house and planting trees and flowers and a garden. Irrigation had just come to us and it was really wonderful to have water, all we could use. This was the first time we could have trees and a lawn around the house and we thought we couldn't get too many trees, so we planted them everywhere and later had to dig some up, but it was good to have lots of shade for the children to play in. Melvin and Phyllis were happy children and played well together. We enjoyed having our family come to visit. We didn't have any electricity so we used the old fashioned lamps to light our home. As the years passed by we were happy in our little farm. In the fall of 1925 Kenneth was born, 22nd of November. Kenneth was born in the old home on Dad's farm. All the family was there and wanted him named Kenneth. Grandma Allred was there too and she wanted him named Park, so we called him Kenneth Park Anderson, and we always liked it. Ken was born on Sunday and the following week the threshers pulled on to our place and threshed our crop. It had rained so much all fall we couldn't get it done any sooner. The following winter was cold and we had lots of sickness. There was measles and mumps and chicken pox and whooping cough around the community. Melvin and Phyllis in school they got them all and so Ken had them when he was so young, but with constant care and watching he got through it all. As spring came and the days turned sunny and warm again, health returned to our family and all was well with us again. In April we bought our first car, a Ford. When Kenneth was nine months old he started walking. He never was satisfied to walk, he always ran and got lots of bumps. We had a cupboard in our kitchen with wide shelves in the bottom and a curtain across the front and Kenneth would crawl up in there and play with all the pans and lids. In the Spring of 1929 section 29 was divided up in to small plots of from 10 to 20 acres, so we bought 15 acres there so we could be closer to school and church. In the fall of 1929 we moved. Ken was four years old when we moved so won't remember much about it. It was an old house so took a lot of fixing, but we were thrilled to have it to work on. We had so many plans for our home and family. Two years later Marlin was born in this house, 8th December 1931. Uncle Marlin Allred from Arizona was staying with us then for a visit so we named Marlin after him. He was so pleased he bought him a whole new outfit of clothes. We enjoyed the new baby and Uncle Marlin stayed for a few weeks and helped me take care of him. Ken was six years old when Marlin was born so we enjoyed having another baby in the home. He was a healthy, happy baby and grew up so fast and when he was three years old Dennis was born, 8th October 1934. So we had two little boys together and we enjoyed them so much. When Dennis was one year old his father became ill with Brights disease and was sick most of the time. So in the fall we went to Arizona and California to see if the warmer climate would help him. We went with my Mother and Dad and Grandma Johnson and Florence and we took Dennis with us. Arvilla and Ivan took care of Melvin and Phyllis and Ken and Marlin. We wanted to take them but there wasn't room. We left on the 14 November 1936. Grandma Johnson stayed with her girls in California and Hillman stayed with some of his relatives to take treatments for his health. The rest of us came home. The winter was so long and lonesome. His health didn't improve and on the 13th of March 1937 he came home a very sick man and passed away on 24th of March 1937. After the funeral I stayed with my mother and dad for almost three weeks and they were so good to all of us and all our friends did so much for us. It was so hard to take care of the children away from home so we went back, heartsick and lonely. The children were so good to help and so we started a new life alone. We were buying our home and land, fifteen acres of land, and we had five horses and two cows and some pigs and so we worked thinning beets and different things until our place was paid for. Melvin was seventeen, Phyllis fifteen, Kenneth twelve, Marlin five and Dennis two and half years. When Dennis and Marlin were small I got them a little wagon and when I went to the store or over to Grandma and Grandpa's I would pull them along in the wagon. We finally sold our horses and cows because we didn't have any pasture for them and it was so hard to get feed for them. One winter Mother and Dad and the ones that were home then, came over and stayed with me because I was so lonely. When I think of it now I guess it was hard for them to leave their home to come, but I really enjoyed it. Phyllis and my sister Marie went to school together and enjoyed the winter together. Mother had a heart attack and was very sick. There was no hospital in Taber then, so we took her to Lethbridge. She got better but always had to be so careful after that or it would come back again. They moved back home in the spring and the next winter they went to Arizona and stayed for a couple of months, which they enjoyed very much.

A short family history of Albert Hurd and Eliza Jane Green

Colaborador: melohnt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Author unknown. Parts of this story may duplicate other stories but other parts give more detail and so I decided to add it in its entirety. Albert Hurd and Eliza Jane Green were married at Logan, Utah. Albert Hurd had immigrated to Utah from England where he was born in Middleton, Yorkshire on the 26th April 1865. Eliza Green had moved into the Snowville, Utah area with her family when she was a young girl. She was born at American Fork, Utah on the 26th April 1871. The young couple lived for some time in the Snowville area where they were engaged in farming. Their farm was actually located just inside the Idaho border at a little community called Stone. While they lived in this area six children were born to this couple. The first two children died in infancy. One was buried at Snowville, while the other died while they were visiting relatives in Star Valley, Wyoming. Although making a living was not always easy the family had many good times together with friends and family. They possess a keen sense of humor. Like many Utah residents that lived in the dessert areas of Utah they were captivated by the stories of that beautiful area in Canada where there Was no irrigation and the grass grew three feet tall. So after selling their farm and some possessions they set out for the promised land to the north. Albert and Eliza with their four children Wallace 8, Leslie 5, Edna 2 and Edith 1, started for Canada in two covered wagons in June of 1898. The father Albert drove a team hitched to a wagon while his wife Eliza followed along driving a second wagon. One of the wagons was outfitted with a cook stove and the beds and clothes were packed into both wagons. Also in the company was Weggo and Martha Olsen and family, in-laws to the Hurds. They also drove two wagons. A younger brother Fred Hurd had agreed to drive about a dozen horses. They didn't rush for each weekend they stopped and rested and did their washing and baked their bread. The men looked after any repairs and saw that the horses were in good condition. They arrived in Cardston in July of 1898. As they crossed the international border the RCMP asked them to kiss the Bible and swear they would be good citizens. This was a procedure most immigrants were expected to take part in. While living in their wagon the Hurds built their first home. It was located about three blocks west of where our temple now stands in Cardston and the house is still occupied. Albert took out a homestead on land about 15 miles southwest of the town in the Boundary Creek area. He set up a ranching operation on his homestead, and bought and sold cattle. Using some of the beef for his butcher shop. All of their dreams seemed to be coming true. They had a comfortable home, a business and a small ranch. The family was happy and another son was born to the family, and he was named Earl. Albert and Eliza had fitted themselves with proper Canadian clothing which included four fur coats with high collars that lopped over their fur caps. Albert Hurd liked to tease his family at times. When he would bring home treats he would make the children search through his pockets to find the treats. Another thing he liked to do was bring home a large paper bag full of hazel nuts. While the family watched he would throw the bag against the ceiling where it would burst sending the nuts all over the room. He would burst into laughter while he watched his family scramble for the nuts. One day while Albert was helping a friend put up her hay near Lee Creek. He noticed a boy struggling in the water, only through quick action was he able to jump from the load of hay and save the boy from drowning. Eliza was a good cook, a neat and tidy housekeeper. She also specialized in gardening, the products which she put to good use. Things were going so well for the family that it seemed almost too good to be true. The good fortune was short-lived however as only after 6 years in Canada tragedy struck. While Albert was out on the ranch he suffered an attack of appendicitis. When he realized he was seriously sick he saddled his horse and rode fifteen torturous miles to Cardston, but by the time he had been sent to Lethbridge by train it was too late and he died on the operating table. It was 1904 and he was less than 40 years old. His wife and children were greatly saddened. Although by this time the family had made many friends in Cardston, they still felt alone in a new land. Eliza's mother Mary Ann Green, came from Utah and spent the winter with them. She brought a great deal of comfort to the family even though she was totally blind. She had travelled to Canada alone by train. She advised her daughter Eliza and family to stay where they were in Canada. The next spring the family picked up the pieces and carried on. Eliza bought another quarter of land at the ranch. I the meantime the children went to school. Wallace and Leslie played in Newton's prize winning band. They enjoyed themselves and made many friends. They were especially friendly with the Low brothers. The brothers also played baseball. Wallace became one of Cardston's outstanding young pitchers before he moved away. The Church authorities had bought a large tract of land about 20 miles west of Cardston . They were urging people to settle on the new land so Eliza took their advice and in 1909 bought three quarters of land north of what was to be Hillspring. The family built a new home on the farm and a large barn. Although the family made some new friends they suffered several setbacks in their operation. In 1910 one year after they had moved to Hillspring district, Wallace was called on a mission. It was a great privilege for the family to have a missionary, however, the widowed mother found it difficult while her oldest son was away, but they managed. During this time her second son Leslie married in 1911. He was married to Hattie Loose a neighbor girl from Glenwood. Edna married Roy Draper a local man that mother Eliza had engaged to help with the farm work. Edith married, Irvin Anderson, a returned missionary from Barnwell. When Wallace returned from his mission he married Rae Lofgreen an American girl from Utah. Earl married Winnie Tagg from Cardston. So Eliza Hurd a widow was left alone to make a decision about what to do about her future. She had never sold her home in Cardston so she decided to move back to Cardston. She traded her home for a little better one and settled herself in a home about a block from where she and her husband brought their family in 1898. She turned her land at Hillspring over to her sons, her youngest son Earl stayed on the home farm. The Hurds faced some hardships at Hillspring along with their neighbors. Transportation to Cardston over long distances was a drawback. However they received many blessings and rewards while they were there. Most of all the fine friends they made. Grandma Hurd as she was known now by her family, soon had many grandchildren. Her beautiful home in Cardston was adorned with flowers and one of the best gardens in town. It was a welcome retreat for her family and friends. Always clean with her ornaments and keepsakes beautifully displayed around her home. Among her possessions was a cylinder gramophone that the grandchildren loved to listen to. Her oldest son Wallace and his wife Rae raised two daughters in Hillspring and Cardston. Wallace was the bishop at Hillspring for a while. The family would be remembered for their contribution in sports, music, and culture. The Roy Drapers and their seven children lived in Hillspring and Cardston and had a strong interest in sports and rodeo. The Leslie Hurds lived in Hillspring and Cardston and other places and were builders and musicians. The Irvin Anderson's from Barnwell took part in sports, music, and public affairs. Earl Hurd had been physically handicapped from a bout with rheumatic fever. Although hard physical work was difficult he was a good academic student, which the parents passed along to their children. When Grandma Hurd's health began to fail, her son Leslie along with others built her a new home on the Anderson's farm near Barnwell. It was a pleasure for the Anderson's to have this gracious lady, their mother and grandmother live so close by. She passed away at Taber on the 13th July 1944. Never to be forgotten by her family and those who knew her.

Life timeline of Edith Veneta Anderson

Edith Veneta Anderson was born on 29 May 1897
Edith Veneta Anderson was 7 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 20 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 32 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 34 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 43 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 60 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 72 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 82 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Edith Veneta Anderson was 92 years old when The tanker Exxon Valdez spilled 10.8 million US gallons (260,000 bbl; 41,000 m3) of oil into Prince William Sound, Alaska, causing one of the most devastating man-made maritime environmental disasters. A tanker is a ship designed to transport or store liquids or gases in bulk. Major types of tankship include the oil tanker, the chemical tanker, and gas carrier. Tankers also carry commodities such as vegetable oils, molasses and wine. In the United States Navy and Military Sealift Command, a tanker used to refuel other ships is called an oiler but many other navies use the terms tanker and replenishment tanker.
Edith Veneta Anderson died on 13 Jul 1993 at the age of 96
Grave record for Edith Veneta Anderson (29 May 1897 - 13 Jul 1993), BillionGraves Record 5719931 Taber, Division No. 2, Alberta, Canada