Edwin Morrell Curtis

7 Nov 1839 - 28 Dec 1906

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Edwin Morrell Curtis

7 Nov 1839 - 28 Dec 1906
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Edwin Morrell Curtis was born 7 November 1839 in London, Middlesex, England. Francis (Fannie) Harrison was born 4 October 1841 in London, Middlesex, England and they were married 17 March 1860. The newlywed couple left England to immigrate to The United States in the same year. They are listed on th
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Edwin Morrell Curtis
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Edwin Morrell Curtis


Logan City Cemetery

Tenth East
Logan, Cache, Utah
United States


June 16, 2013


May 31, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Edwin Morrell...

We found more records about Edwin Morrell Curtis.

Grave Site of Edwin Morrell


Edwin Morrell Curtis is buried in the Logan City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Edwin Morrell Curtis

Colaborador: MargieW Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Edwin Morrell Curtis was born 7 November 1839 in London, Middlesex, England. Francis (Fannie) Harrison was born 4 October 1841 in London, Middlesex, England and they were married 17 March 1860. The newlywed couple left England to immigrate to The United States in the same year. They are listed on the roster of the ship Underwriter in March 1860. They were with his fathers family who were Joseph Henry Curtis and Sarah Morrell Curtis. Edwin and Fanny Curtis were in the Daniel Robinson Handcart Company later in 1860. Edwin later married Delia Ann Crockett about 1880 in Utah. Edwin M. Curtis died 28 December 1906 in Rexburg Idaho and was buried in Logan, Utah. Francis Harrison Curtis died 8 October 1929 in Santa Monica, California and is buried in Salt Lake City, Utah. Delia Ann Crockett Curtis died 14 April 1926 in Gridley, California and was buried in Logan, Utah.

JOURNAL OF EDWIN MORRELL CURTIS December 13, 1878 to January 31, 1879.

Colaborador: MargieW Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

JOURNAL OF EDWIN MORRELL CURTIS December 13, 1878 to January 31, 1879. Friday December 13, 1878: Started from Logan at 2 o'clock p.m. Brother D. Reese took me and my baggage to depot in his buggy. There I met a large company of S. School children and friends who bade me goodbye. Brother George Thatcher gave ma a half-fare ticket to Ogden and by using his (GWT) name I got a return ticket on the W.C.R.R. I arrived in Salt Lake City at 8:30. I found Robert Smith and Dad Harrison awaiting my arrival. I went home with Dad Harrison. I have some presents for Mary. She was very pleased with them. I eat some of her wedding cake and drank a glass of beer wishing her a happy time. We went to bed about ten o'clock. Saturday December 14: I got off my bachelor couch at 7:20 this morning and found my dirty boots made clean through the work of Ted Harrison. Had breakfast - then went down town, bought an overcoat for $10, left my old coat at Tom Armstrong's then got a shave at Brother Squires - and went to see President John Taylor, had a splendid chat with him, he told me I was the only one out of 16 that had reported themselves for their mission. Then George Reynolds gave ma a certificate signed by Bro. Taylor, he also fixed up my tickets, etc. for traveling and was instructed to be at Bro. Taylor's office on Monday morning to be set apart and to start for the East on Tuesday morning. I then called at Deseret Office, had a chat with Brigham Young and subscribed for the Semi News, then went to the Instructor Office and settled up, called on Joseph F. Smith - took dinner with Annie Armstrong, called on Mary Smith, Delia's sister . Bought some Church works and a Bible. Called on numerous friends, took lunch with Ted Armstrong, got back to mother's in time for supper. Fixed up my diary, then set to write a letter to the folks back home after which I went to bed. Sunday December 15: I got up in good time. Had breakfast, then went with Dad Harrison to visit Wm. Harrison and wife and from there to Wm. Bates. I found them well and Wm. Bates wrote 2 letters for me to take to England. I went from there to Ben Pearsons and wrote a letter to Harry while there, took dinner with them, then went up in town. I called on Ellerbeck. Then went to Paocoe from there up to mail my letters, went back and visited Wm. Spence and Ellerbeck folks were there. I left for home about 8 p.m. caught the last street car got home by 9 o'clock. Chatted with the folks awhile then to bed. Monday 16th: I was up a trifle earlier this morning, had breakfast, wished the folks good bye and went down town, made a few purchases for my trip such as collars, neck tie clasp, comforter comb, etc. amounting to ten dollars in all. Then went to Brother Taylor's office remained an hour and half, then went with Joseph F. Smith to the Historians office and was set apart by him - made a few more visits, went and took dinner with Ed Rowden, went up town again, wrote 2 letters, one to O. Rogers of Omaha, enclosed a check to him for $250 dollars also wrote to C. S. Goodrich and Company - then visited a shoppe, from there made a few more purchases such as lunch and basket, went to Armstrongs and found Ben and Elisa - also Wm. and Sarah Husbands and other friends, we has some singing. I sang one song, went to bed at 11:30 o'clock. Tuesday Dec 17, 1878: Got up at 30 past 5, washed and had breakfast. Put on my first stand up collar, it made me look swellish. Got to depot as train was moving off, but got on board. Reached Ogden at 9 o’clock, took my baggage to U.P. Cars, got my half fare ticket, then wrote a postal card to my folks telling of my departure. My half fare ticket cost $38.75. After getting on the car I made up my diary for 2 days past. Train started at 10 o'clock. I looked so much at the country as we traveled it made my head ache. We passed through 3 tunnels in snow sheds between Ogden and Evanston, stopped at Evanston for dinner. I took mine on the train. We had a change of engines there - started from here at 3 o'clock traveling smoothly along, passed through several snow sheds - arrived at Green River. I don't know what time as there were several time pieces there and all different. I should judge it was 8 o'clock. I took supper there it cost $1.00 I wanted a cup of tea to cure my head ache. I came back and fixed the seats and made a good bed and turned in for the night. This is written while the train is going. Wednesday Dec. 18, 1878: I was aroused about 6 o'clock by the conductors cry for tickets, did not get much sleep. Got to Little Rock Station breakfast time. I eat bologney and bread. I went down dry, water on train not very good, got to Larime about 11 o'clock, changed engines and train hands. I felt very sleepy and had a long nap. Read considerable of Answers to Questions between sleeps. We run about 30 miles from Larime and had to wait for another train coming west which was late. It is cold outside and snowing quite brisk, looks like it will last all day. Arrived at Cheyenne my lunch consisted of a ham sandwich and a cup of tea. Cheyenne is a fine looking town, it being built of most all good looking brick buildings, travel till night - all night - took supper lunch at a side station, fixed up for bed at 9 o'clock. Changed train hands during the night and the conductor was kind enough not to wake me but found my hat and took the check. Thursday Dec 19: Had to put up my bed at 5 o'clock so many passengers coming on train. Breakfast at Grand? it cost 50 cts. I am feeling first rate and fancy myself moving like the car rocks, makes my head a little giddy. The country is pretty well settled this part of the road - farms all along the line. We got to Fremont at noon. I eat a bite on the train and write a postal care to the folks at home. We then started for our last station on the U.P.R.R. namely Omaha. We reached there at 15 minutes to 4 p.m. stayed about 20 minutes then proceeded over the Missouri Bridge - charged 50 cts to cross - landed safe on the bluff side at the Union depot and took supper lunch cost 20 cts. then got on board the C & N.W.R. started from the bluffs at 5 o'clock. I noticed all through Nebraska there is a great amount of corn and hogs are raised, but looks strange to me to see the corn fodder all left standing in the field, it is also the case all through Iowa. I was informed by a farmer on the train it did not pay to gather it, so they turn the stock into the fields to eat it up. There is considerable travel on the C & N.W.R. I was much amused on the train one fat lady was anxious to talk but being so fat she had to take a breath between each sentence. But she was well posted and gave me lots of information. Another person-an old gent was on a visit he forgot himself and went too far about 20 miles when he found his mistake he indulged in a small cry but the conductor was kind to put him on the return train. We got to Commanche Station for breakfast, I got coffee and a biscuit for 10 cts. We passed through difficult country of fine farms with much timber land - snow in their state from 8 to 10 mo. Friday, Dec. 20: I mentioned breakfast time above, am writing on the train while going fast across the Missippi River. Have a very aristocrate crowd aboard, mostly merchants and lawyers, I judged by their conversations. I took lunch at Waverly House, Dixon, Ill. It cost 20 cts. the same old thing, tea and sandwich. After dinner I done a little more writing - it is snowing and has been all morning. The country Iowa is very rolling and most of the farms seem to have their timber land connected to the farm. Just before we reached Illinois quite a number of young ladies got on the train and I found by their conversation they were from Boarding School taking vacations for the holidays. I was trying to read but could not for those young girls from different schools and they were telling their exploits and fun with the boys. I can't put it all here but I was amused to hear 6 girls sparking the same no. of gents and the girl that was telling it said they sparked at night unbeknown to the mistress, but they (the gs) wanted to see these chaps in daylight so they made an appointment to meet them and their description was odd-one girl found out her chap had sore eyes and another was red headed of the worst kind. I have not time to put all their marks down - but one girl said he mean old mistress found them out - and dismissed 2 girls on account of it and because she had large feet and she wore #9 shoes and the girls knew it, and was mad at all of them. I was glad when we got to Chicago which we did at 4:30 p.m. it put me in mind of London so much business and bustle. I had a ticket on Frank Parmelecs Omnibus Line so jumped in and was taken through the city to Pittsburg and Fort Wayne Line. I had 30 minutes to eat lunch and get aboard which was done in a short time - it was dark when we started so could see nothing of the country. But it was snowing all night. Attended to secret prayer as usual - not much sleep being crowded. Saturday Dec 21, 1878: Not much sleep last night. I was so very cold thought I would most freese. Was glad to see day light, so I could get around. From Chicago to Alliance, Ohio, the country is very rolling and broken, all the farms and buildings are on side hills and ravines and timber growing all over the hills - I took breakfast at Sourbeck Lunch Hall, Alliance, Ohio. Then proceeded to Pittsburg - on our way we followed the Ohio River for a number of miles and saw a great many steamers tugging barges loaded with coal. Got to Pittsburg and there saw some o the marks of the late riot quite a lot of engines and cars that have been partly burnt - the wall were standing in fact, there was much to indicate that a terrible riot had been there. Arrived at Pittsburg Depot at 1 o'clock. Got on board N.Y. train and was on the way again in 10 minutes. It blowed, snowed and sleeted and everything else. I slept all afternoon when night came I could not see any of the country but by the time we got to Philadelphia 3 O'clock a.m. we got through the storm. We landed at NY at 7 o'clock Sunday. Sunday Dec 22, 1878. Areson House, N.Y. Have not been having a wash. But before doing this I got across the river from the ? in a Ferry Boat and was brot here in a buss and now am trying to put up my diary but my head feels so giddy riding so much. I cant do much. I will have breakfast after which I went for a walk. I hunted Broadway to find the Union Office. I succeeded at last and while I was on the hunt, I saw several places of distress to me. I visited Castle Gardens and the nice walk around it. Then walked right to the river and looked at the shipping, then visited the Elevated Rail Road, came back and wrote to the folks at home, wrote to Annie and Ted, then wrote to Delia and a few lines to all the other children. But I had to run up town for paper and another walk and mailed my letters on Broadway and kept walking until I was satisfied. I visited the back street and saw a number of drunken men, also found stores upon and ;parlors on the side walks and all kind of businesses being transacted on the back sts. I noticed Broadway had quite a Sunday appearance all day. But the back streets was all business and bustle and anything you want you could buy. I came back, dinner not ready so I took a stroll to Central Park. It is not as nice a park as I have seen in England. At any rate, I walked until I was tired, cam back had dinner, went to my room and laid down and went to sleep before I knew it. After 2 hours sleep for the want of more sleep, when I got fully awake I went to writing and fixed up my diary. I forgot to mention that I was landed on the Brooklyn side of the river and had to be ferried over. It was a pretty sight on the river being scarcely day light every vessel in the river had its signal lamps burning which made it look very peculiar while walking through the city. I thought everybody knew I was a stranger - one would come up to me and want to sell me a cheap watch and another wanted to see me a handkerchief for 5 cts then the boys took me by storm because my boots was not blacked. I have them blacked then they would hollow shine your boots. I wished myself home to my room out of their way. I must now write to Harrie Curtis, have written to Harrie then sit down to read. I enjoyed the reading of the doing of the Ladies Meeting in the theatr it done me good - sent to bed at 9. Monday December 23: Got up at 7:30 washed, packed up my bedding and my valises then had breakfast went down Broadway to the Union Office saw Mr. Gibson and paid my fare and got first class cabin passage, cost $40.00 then walked all over town got tired and went back to Anson House - got a parcel and express for H. W. Naisbett to Philadelphia then bought a white shirt, also a blue one and neck tie, then took my baggage to the vessel. The Anson House charged me $3.75 for board and lodging - the man asked 20 cts for taking my trunk to the St-car and I got to the warf all right and was taken to my berth. It is a very nice cosey little room fixed with complete toilet. The state rooms or saloon is well fixed, a nice piano also in the state room or saloon. The hands on board seem a nice lot of men and the vessel is pronounced by agent and Captain the smoothest traveling vessel on the line. I went up town and bought a pair of slippers and while at the shoe shop I wrote a note home, also 3 postal cards, one to Bp. Lewis and one to F. W. Hurst and one to Dad Harrison, then had some fresh oysters for dinner. Lunch cost 20 cts. I then hunted for 15 min to find a post office to buy stamps. I at last succeeded mailed my letters and cards, walked around town until 5 o'clock then went on board the ship. It was almost dark, the steward made a light and I posted my diary. They are now preparing supper for me, but the Captain and the ship hands of the cabin. I got a cup of coffee and sandwich, went to bed at 9 o'clock and went to sleep, but was awoke by music being played. It happened that a number of friends of Captain Jones and the Doctor had come aboard to spend the evening. Mr. Gibson came aboard during the evening and introduced me to the 1st and 2nd Stewarts as an old Salt Lake Friend and desired that they take good care of me. I quite like the appearance of the vessel, she is fixed up in the saloon especially for Christmas, holly and mistletoe brought from Liverpool, I feel quite at home. December 24, 1878. On board the Montana. Got up at 5:30 just in time to see the vessel going down the river. I saw Castle Gardens in the distance, we moved along pretty well until we got to Sandy Hook, we then struck a sand bar which is normal. I quit writing to go up and see the Captain had a sail raised which was a big help and carried the vessel right off the bar. She is going finley now. 8 o'clock walked around the deck until 9 o'clock, at that time we were safe out in the ocean waters, then our Pilot left us. The sailors tied a rope around his waist and helped him down a rope ladder into a small boat. Breakfast bell - went down and had breakfast - beef stak and onions and fried potatoes. I made a good meal. After breakfast had a good tramp on deck, it was much warmer. I felt quite comfortable altho the deck was covered with ice. The Capt. had the boys clean and sweep the ice off and the wind dried it up quick, wind quite favorable, so they put up sails which helped amazingly, we made good time all day. At 1 o'clock dinner bell - roast chicken, oyster stew etc. went on deck for two and one half hours, saw 4 vessels heading for New York. I went into the saloon about 4 o'clock and had a read. It got dark so went on deck again. The motion of machinery makes my head ache. Am thankful I had so good a promise made to me before I left home - it gives me faith and confidence of a sure and safe arrival at Liverpool and safe return home, for this is the promise made to me by Brother Joseph F. Smith when he blessed me. Supper bell have to go right straight. First course, soups, 2nd roast beef, potatoes, cauliflower, 3 pies, cakes, nuts and cup of tea. After supper I went to the library and got a book to read called The Guide to London. I set reading untill 9 o'clock. All the ladies are sick and hearing them working away makes me feel rather billious, so took 2 pills and went to bed 15 minutes to 9. December 26, Christmas 1878. Got up this morning at 7:30, washed, had prayer, went on deck untill breakfast time, my head is inclined to ache. Did not sleep much during the night. It was snowing very hard so they had to keep blowing the fog horn in case some ship might be coming this way. Went to breakfast at 8:30, had ham and eggs and roast chicken and a tart, 2 cups coffee, after which I sit in the saloon but it makes me feel sick at the stomach so I went on deck. I feel alright when on deck or pretty well at least, had a good talk with Captain Jones who is a fine old gentleman. He told me we had made 374 miles since Sandy Hook in 24 hours, the wind is high and the sea rough, it is all I can do to write. Also had a talk with the boatswain from whom I got the following - S. S. Montana will carry two thousand five hundred tons of freight and passengers. She carried one thousand four hundred and forty. He length is 425 feet and from upper deck to lower deck 54 ft. and makes her trips in one and one half days less time that the other vessels. He referred me to the Certificate of the vessel for tonage and no. of passengers she will carry. Dinner bell - still feel a little sick at the stomach, so got a drink of brandy. I think it settled my stomach. A little after dinner went in the smoking room and fixed up my diary. Ship rolling heavy and snowing, am going on deck for a while. Still snowing and heavy wind, but got by the engine room where it is warm and remained until dark. Went down into the smoking room. 6:30 dinner bell for supper (or dinner) still feel a little sick but have not given way yet. Christmas dinner, roast turkey and green peas, fish, egg fritters, mince pies, molded jellie, plus pudding, raisins, nuts and tea. After all this I went into smoking room it being the easiest part to ride in. Bed time feel squarmish, had a glass of ginger ale- went to bed, so wound up Christmas Day of 1878. Thursday December 26, 1878. I had to get up at 3 this morning having the belly ache, went back to bed, sea rolling very high causing the ship to roll very much, so can't sleep. In an hour or two the wind abated some and the ship went smoother so I went to sleep and slept untill breakfast bell rang. Got up and washed and attended to duties, went on deck of 15 minutes to get some fresh air, went down to breakfast - beef steak and onions, toast and butter, sausage, 2 cups of tea. Went on deck awhile then came to smoking room to fix diary. The wind has changed to the north, sea much smoother but ships rolls considerable. It is much warmer, don't need an overcoat, sky is getting clear and it looks quite pleasant out on the water. Have made the aquaintance of a cabin passenger name of Bailey, he is agent for Barnum Museum and Circus. Mr. Bailey is going to England to buy up a lot of monkeys of a circus that is broke in England. He is a jolly old chap and good company. It is hard to write now, ship rolls so much. The Captain finds that the cargo has shifted to one side. It started when the ship got on the sand bar. This causes the ship to roll to one side. Dinner bell - cold turkey, baked potatoes, jam tart and rice pudding. After dinner went on deck for ballance of the afternoon, walked about considerable to stretch my legs, went down to smoking room and had a nap, went on deck again untill supper bell - Mock turtle soup, very nice, roast leg mutton, pottatoes and cauliflower, pickles, celery, cranberry pie and tarts, apples, nuts and tea. After supper went on deck. Raining a little. Sea smooth after a good walk on deck came below and sit awhile in smoking room then went into saloon and done some writing in my diary. I eat so much supper I must take a walk, sensation of sickness going off, appetite very good. Getting fat my pants are getting tight around the waist. Belly ache lots better. Went to bed at 10 o'clock, could not sleep, heard the watch bell toll a number of times, then the watchman answers to the quartermaster telling the hours and the song all right, sounds dismisal to the ear and while I lay thinking my mind would run towards home in spite of myself and the thought of my loved ones at home seemed to give me comfort. It seemed that I could think of nothing but home the whole time I am on this ship and I must confess that the thought of home and my dear family gave me lots of comfort. I must have went to sleep thinking about them. Friday Dec 27 1878: Got up at 7 o'clock, washed, attended to duties, then went on deck, very cloudy and raining a little. Stayed on deck until breakfast bell, went down and eat a good breakfast - fried sole, codfish balls, potatoes, toast and butter, two cups of coffee. Went on deck again until 12, then went to smoking room had a bottle of ginger beer and wrote a little in the diary, so much talking can't write very well and the ship rather unsteady. Clouds cleared off and a little brighter in South but look squarely overhead. Dinner Bell mostly on deck when it rings, am always ready for meals - sensation of sickness all gone, have not thrown up once. Had dinner, turtle soup, ham, boiled potatoes, apple pie (English) bread and cheese and cellery. Had a talk with Capt. Jones about the vessel, one reason of her rocking so much the cargo being on one side, but the ship hands went below and straightened up, so she runs all right now. Got a little more information about the ship, her width is 40 feet, had 6 boilers at 36 fire places and consumes 110 tons of coal every 24 hours and carried her coal from Liverpool for the round trip which is 25 hundred tons. She is steered by steam - a new invention and her power is eaquel to 950 horses. Spend the balance of afternoon on deck. It looks awful stormey and sea very route. Took my usual evening meal and went to bed about 9 o'clock. Saturday December 28, 1878: Awake most of the night, a terrific storm having prevailed, was glad to see daylight come. Got up about 7, ship pitching a charging at a fearful rate, as soon as I got out of bed I thought I should turn inside out at every motion of the ship. Could not stop to wash myself. Managed to get on deck, but could not feel easy. Went below to the smoking room, could not take any breakfast. About 10 o'clock I began to throw up, had one good turn, could not vomit again, had to play sick all day, took a little soup at dinner and supper, went to saloon and laid down, sea fearful rough and terrible gale blowing. Captain had all the life boats, ventilators and all moveable lashed tight, knowing what was coming and it did come through the night. It seemed to me we were under water all night. No sleep for me. Sunday Dec 29, 1878: Up at 8 this morning, still feeling sick, don't care for breakfast, but took a little soup and cup of tea. Sea still very high and wind storm waging no chance of quitting. Too stormy to be out on deck, so spend my time in the companionway, talking a little with Captain Jones. Went to bed early could not sleep feeling a little sick and sheep charging like a wild one. Monday, 30th, 1878: Up in good time this morning feeling a trifle better, washed and attended to my duties as I always do, went on deck until breakfast time. I eat a better breakfast than I expected, went on deck, sea rough, but finer over head. In looking east I saw a small vessel being tossed to and fro with the waves, is about 30 minutes we hook up with her. She was a small sloop - two masts and had lost her main top mast. Our Captain conversed with her and learned that she was from Yarmouth and bound for New Brunswick, but was in no distress having another top mast ready to put up. About noon we saw another sailer, full riged. I made the acquaintance of a few steerage passengers, 2 of them young men, or one was a boy, had both run away from home and went to America to dig for themselves as they called it, but found it was far different to what they expected. They had both repented and had got their folks in England to sent them money to return home. They were both from Derby. The younger one seemed well raised and very genteel, but was dissatisfied with home, but had now concluded there was no place like home. I felt much better in walking around and talking with the few passengers. At supper time I took a cup of tea and some bread and butter.. Ship pitched and rolled so much I would not go to bed until late because I could not sleep, turned in about 12; Tuesday Dec 31st 1878: About 2 this morning the ship came to a sudden stop, what is the matter was the first thought. Went on deck to see (after dressing) nobody knew, only something was broke in connection with the machinery and we laid ther an hour or two, but it seemed like so many days, then on she went again. We found afterward that some of the steering had got loose and they had to stop to tighten it up. Went to bed and slept till daylight. Got up, washed and attended to my duties and went on deck and saw the sun rise on the ocean, looked very nice. The weather is nice, quite warm, don't need an overcoat. Had breakfast, appetite getting good. After breakfast went on deck and walked around, but ship continues to roll. I fixed up my diary a little but too rough to write much. Went down to dinner and made a good meal. Went on deck again, getting a little cloudy. I cannot stop below it smell so bad, all the folks being sick. Saw another sail ship going west, everything moving finley. I have each days distance on another leaf, most of the sick are about today, but they look awful slim. Had supper and went on deck again and stayed until 10 o’clock. The clouds are gathering up and looks as though it would storm all night. Went to bed at 10:30. Wednesday, January 1st 1879: A Happy New Year to myself. Slept pretty well last night. Got up at 8 went on deck before breakfast and raining like everything. Came down to breakfast. Afterward went on deck, but raining fast. We passed a nice looking brig going east, but wind was against her. In 20 minutes we left her behind. It is raining fast and makes my head ache to stop in saloon so went to smoking room and had a glass of ale with the steward whose name is Martin. In talking with him I found out that he was the man who had charge of Bro. J. E. Hyde when returning home and he told me that Bro. Joe died in his arms and Martin had the box and coffin made to take care of the body to send home. Mr. Martin is Saloon Steward. When he told me about Bro. Hyde I gave him a shilling to get a bottle of beer, it being New Year’s Day. I learned of the 3rd steward that this Martin was very kind to Bro. Joe and stuck by him day and night and after death took full charge and the body and had it places away in the coolest part of the vessel. It done me lots of good to talk to Mr. Martin, because Bro. Joe was an old companion of mine. It is still raining and shall be glad when I get on shore. Must go on deck altho it is still raining. Had dinner at one, went on deck again and stroled around in the rain untill dusk, but would get around the boilers where it was warm. Supper at 6 o’clock, had duck and green peas, a lot of vegetables and plum pudding to finish on. Sit up awhile then took a run around deck and went to bed, still raining. Thursday Jan 2nd 1879. Got up at 8 this morning and went on deck and saw land the first since we left NY. Breakfast, went on deck again and gased upon the Irish coast. It is a rough looking country from the sea. Saw what the sailors call the Bull-Cow and Calf, They are 3 rocks sticking up out of the water. Bull is the largest, cow is next, calf is small and has a lighthouse built upon it. We then came in sight of the Signal Office. Our Captain then raised our colors and number of the Vessel. Signal Office (which is on a hill) answered by raising their flag, then ours was all taken down again. Signal Office then telegraph to Queenstown and Liverpool, also to NY telling of our arrival at the mouth of Irish Channel. Had dinner, came up and saw Fastenit Rock and Lighthouse. A smaller rock in mid water all alone with lighthouse upon it, raining fast. Saw lots of small boats and several sail ships and one steamer out for NY about 5 o’clock I saw the light of a boat heading toward us and the light would change color and in about 10 minutes our Captain had 6 rockets fired off, 3 at each side of the ship, then both made a direct shoot for each other. Supper bell have to go, while at supper machinery all stops, drop anchor, loud whistle tug boat from Queenstown comes along side and takes off passengers and mail bags of mail. In 20 minutes off she goes (5 passengers and 90 bags of mail). We raise anchor and off we go. this tug was sent on recpt of dispatch from Signal Office. Pilot came aboard and will take us to Port. Night very dark and still raining. Am obliged to stop in the saloon all evening. The ladies are better, so we are having some singing, all sacred hymns, kept singing until about 10 o’clock then went to bed. Friday, January 3rd 1879: Got up at 8. Washed and attended to duties, went on deck until breakfast, then went on deck again for awhile. Saw holley head. It is very cloudy. Got a little brighter. I saw some portions of Wales and could seen an old fashioned windmill at work. It is very cold, had to go below for awhile. The ladies are playing the piano. I sat and listened to them - then packed up my valises ready for inspection of the custom house officers. Dinner Bell. Eat a good dinner then went on deck again. All bustle getting ready to drop anchor. The tide is down and we can’t get over the bar, so have to wait three and one half hours for the tide to run up, which will make it about 8 o’clock in the evening before we shall get in. We are now laying at anchor but have company there being 3 other steamers laying for the same purpose. The water is quite smooth now and ship quiet which seem very strange after being in motion so long. All the steerage passengers are dressed and fixed up to go ashore, but I shall wait until I get ashore there fix up. Tea bell. They are going to give us a 4 o’clock tea before we go ashore. I went down and had my tea and while we are at the table the anchor is raised and we move off. Went on deck and saw the signals of our ship to the tug boat. We are pushed right in to Liverpool as far as we could, there all taken ashore to the customs house and had to wait three fourths of an hour to have our bags, boxes, etc. examined by the officers. This done, I went outside the dock and took a cab. It cost 2/ to take me and baggage to 42 Tolingtown. Took Bro. Pratt and Budge by surprise. Had a good talk with them, then had some tea with the girls. Bro. Budge sent me to a lodging house close by to sleep, went to bed at 10. January 4, 1879: Got up at 8, went to 42 for Breakfast. Had fried? and potatoes. Made a good meal. Talked with Bro. Budge and he thought I had best visit London and see my folks for a week or two, but I am going to stop at 42 untill Tuesday morning, as I want to see Bro. Nibley before I go and he is at Hull at conference, but he will be home by Monday. I went and took a turkish bath. I was washed by a man then rubed down, put in a drying room at 130 degrees then to another one twice as hot. I thought I was cooked. It cost 1 shilling. Then I got a shave and a hair cut. Went to 42 for dinner, in the afternoon I wrote a long letter to my family, read a little and talked with the boys some. Went to supper and was called on to pray, went back to the office and spent the evening and fixed up my diary for the day. Slept at the office, went to bed at 10:30. Sunday Jan. 5th 1879: Got up at 8 this morning, was just in time for breakfast. Sit reading awhile, then went to meeting with Bro. Bull, there was but few Saints, but we had a good meeting. I was called upon to speak and enjoyed it very much, went home for dinner, sit reading in the afternoon, also done some talking until meetingtime which was 6:30. When I got to meeting I saw quite a number more Saints. I was the second one called on to speak and I felt a good spirit there. During the meeting eight persons came in to have a friendly row and they would not leave so the Deacon had to go get 2 police to take them off. I went with Bro. Bull to the Post Office to mail some letters there. Came home, we had some tea, then sat talking and singing for an hour and went to bed. Monday, Jan 6th, 1879. Got up at 8 this morning just in time for breakfast. It is so dark here in the morning I can’t see at 8. It is so foggy had to write this morning by gas light. Wrote 4 letters, one to B. M. Lewis, Harrie Curtis, F. W. Hurst and one to Dad Harrison. Bro. John Nicholson is quite sick so Bro. Lewis and myself administered to him and he got much better, so much so that in half an hour he went out for a walk. Had dinner at 2. We had roast mutton, also treacle pudding. After dinner I fixed up my diary. It is very cold, must go and warm myself then take a walk. Had a walk around the main part of town, looking at the shop windows, which are fixed up very fine. Got back home at 5 o’clock. Sat reading awhile and Bro. Budge, Orson Pratt and Chas. Nibley got home from their conference trips. I had a good talk with Bro. Nibley. I gave him what papers and letters I had for him, also a pair of garments, had supper at 7, then Bro. N and myself went to the theatre and saw a minstrell entertainment at St. James Hall. It was good, especially the dogs, monkeys and goats. The performance was excellent. Went home at 10:30 all hands and the cook went to bed and Charley and myself sit up till 2 o’clock talking about Logan. I gave Charley all the news I could. I made my bed on the sofa in Bro. Budges room, turned in about 2:30. Tuesday Jan 7, 1879: Got up this morning at 8. Got washed just in time for prayers. Had breakfast at 8:30, then got some camphor to put in my blankets so the moths would not hurt them, also in my basket with my shirt and hat, also overshoes, then packed my 2 valises ready for starting. Bought a new hymn book for 3/ went to Bro. Nicholsons room and found him much better, bade him good bye and all the rest of the brethren in the office in Liverpool, then started for Birmingham. Got my ticket and found the train would not start for one hour, so walked around town for the hour, had to pay 4d to have my valises taken care of at the depot, also paid 1d to go to the closet. Train started at 12:15 got to Birmingham at 3:30 distance 100 miles, had to take a cab to get to the conference house at 26 Tenby Street, Birmingham. Found Bro. and Sis Cattle home, they made me welcome and got me a good supper, or tea. Spent a pleasant time with them and showed them my pictures of Logan. Very soon Bro. Burton and Carter came home. We talked awhile then went to Priesthood meeting. There was an excellent spirit there. I spoke a short time to the brethren by request. Came home at 10 o’clock, had some mush for supper, prayed with the family and went to bed. Wednesday, Jan 8th 1879: Got up at 9:20 had a wash then had breakfast. Went for my boots and found them clean. I fixed up and went with Bros. Burton and Carter on a visit to a Bro. and Sis. by the name of Meredith. They are weak in the faith but good people and we had a splendid time. We got there in time for dinner and we had a regular English meal. They had a piano, organ and music box and their daughter gave us lots of music and I had to play a Sunday School piece. During the afternoon we had nuts, apples, oranges etc. Then came tea, had more music and singing, then tea, more talk, music, singing and fun, the supper to finish. We started to the conference house at 10 and got there by quarter to eleven. We walked 3 miles. I was quite warm when I got in, but suffered all day with the cold in the house of Bro. Meredith’s. I discover that the damp cold is penetrating, but shall soon get used to it. I fixed up my diary after getting home then sit a while talking on priciples and had a good chat. Went to bed at 12 o’clock. Thursday, Jan. 9, 1879: Got up at 10 this morning , washed and came down stairs. Then we had prayer, had breakfast, then went in town and bought 2 dickeys and an undershirt, cost 4/9d. Went back to the house and fixed up with a clean dicky and collar and went on the hunt for Uncle Chas. Harrison. Went pretty direct and found the place just out of Hagley Road. Chas. H. was not home but found his daughter, stopped and talked awhile then left p4romising to call tomorrow. Went home in time for supper. Wrote a letter to Fannie and Delia, then went to Evening Meeting. It was very cold, but we had a good time. A Bro. Reese from Payson was there, so he and myself were called on to speake, there was a good spirit in the meeting. We came home at 9:30. Bro. Reese went with us to stop all night, as he is here on a mission. A member of the Saints went home with us and they got to singing. We had a lively time and parted at 11:30. We had prayed and went to bed at 12:15. Friday Jan. 10, 1879: Got up at 10, wash and came down to sit by the stove talking. Had prayer. Bro. Carter had breakfast. A sister by the name of Annie Smith stoped all night and had breakfast with us. Bro. Reese started to another place on a visit. I sat talking with Sister Smith for an hour on the Principles of the Gospel, then started for Holly Nursery to see Chas. Harrison. I had a fine walk, sunshine a little. I reached there abou5 3 o’clock. They seemed glad to see me and made me welcome. I had to promise to stop and take tea, which I did, went in the parlor and had a good time. Tried to play a little on the piano, could not make out. Had a good talk with Chas. H. but he does not want religion. We talked over family matters and I learned that his wife had been dead three years tomorrow (11th). I enjoyed my visit much, stoped for supper, had bread, cheese, cellery and beer, then Mr. H put me a piece of mistletoe and holly and some sweet William seed in a small box to send home which I shall do. I left there at 10:15 and got home by 11. Sit down and fixed up my diary for the 2 days past, then sit talking on principles pertaining to the gospel and had a good time until 12:30 then went to bed. Jan. 11, Saturday 1879: Got up this morning at 10:30 washed went downstairs found my boots cleaned, sit reading awhile then had prayers. I was mouth, then had breakfast. At 11:30 went back to the office and read awhile. Box 3 stars to send home, cost 4d, one contained the notice of my arrival, went for a walk with Bro. Burton and Carter to see Bro. Carter off by the train as he was going out to preach. As we passed the City Library we saw it all in flames and it was a difficult matter to get water to it, we cam back home about 2:30 and Bro. Holder came in and book us to his home for tea. It was about 3 miles. We had a good time there. We had piketets, cake and tea. We went for a walk to the bull ring and through the markets and bot some fish for breakfast. Came by the city library and it was still burning. Got home at 10 o’clock. I wrote a note to Aunt Roberts and sent a picture Almanac to Delia and a box with mistletoe and ivy to Fannie. I fixed up my diary for the day, went to bed at 12:30. Sunday, Jan 12th: Got up and washed, had prayer. I was mouth. Had breakfast and went to school. It was very cold and when I got to the hall the house was not open. But soon the deacon came and made a fire. I warmed myself. The school was slim in numbers, there being 11 all told. After school I went with Bro. Holder to his home for dinner and enjoyed myself talking about old friends, went to meeting at 2:30, was called to the stand and preached about 30 minutes, then B. W.S. Adams of St. George, Ut. spoke, there was a good spirit in the meeting. At close of meeting Bro. Adams and myself went with Bro. Croton to administer to some sick, we attended to 1 bro and 2 sisters. I went with Bro. Croton to his house for supper. After supper went to meeting and was called again to speak. I found a splendid spirit prevailing and it gave me joy to speak to the Saints. Bro. Adams followed me. After meeting I went with Bro. Adams and Bro. Spokes to see Bro. Adams nephew off by train at New St. Station. It was snowing like Billy. We then went to Bro. Spokes house and enjoyed a delightful talk with his family and we had to take supper. We stoped until 12 o’clock then went to 26. It is still snowing. Got home by 12:30. We had prayer. Bro. Adams mouth, got to bed by one. Monday, Jan 13, 1879: Got up at 6:30 this morning. Bro. Adams and myself had prayer, myself mouth, found my boots nice and clean, had breakfast then Bid Bro. and Sis Cattel good by, gave Bro. Cattle 2/ for his kindness, then started to New St. Station. It has been raining, snow all gone. Got my ticket, Bro. Adams started. I got on the wrong train, found it out 30 seconds to late and saw my train start and I had to stop 3 hours, so went up town. I soon had a belly ache, glad I was too late. Got a shave, went to a Coffee House in the Bull Ring, had a cup of coffee and fixed up my diary, then started toward the station. Was rather early so took a walk around the station and saw an elephant being loaded ont he cars. My train started at 11:15. I was in time, got to London 3:15, distance 130 miles, paid 4d for my baggage being cared for after being late for train, then paid 2 1/2d for a boy to pack my valises from St. Pancras to the angel at Islington, then took train to Bishops Grove, cost 2d. Found the boys well, also 2 letters from home, one from Harrie and one from Fannie and Delia, Albert and young family. It done me lots of good. After supper I took a walk to Dalston Station and Kingland Road, came home at 10, had prayer. I was mouth and went to bed. Slept with Bro. Twelves. Tuesday 14th Jan 1879: Got up at 9 this morning after a good night’s rest. Had prayer, Bro. Twelves mouth. Had breakfast, went by train to Long Lane and from there I walked to Blackfriars Bridge via Old Baily and Newgate Prison. Went to Sister Hills at Peabody’s Buildings, was in time for dinner and had a good talk with the folks, took tea and supper with them, and made them feel good by telling all I could about Utah and answering the many questions they put to me. I was kept talking until 12:30 o’clock, then went to bed with the boy. Wednesday, 15th January 1879: Got up at 8 this morning, had prayers, washed and eat breakfast, then started for Idlington to get my valise, left my clothes at the office to be washed, then took valise in hand and started for Aunt Robertes, took train at Dalston for Shoreditch, 1d, then walked to Bethnal Green, found many changes. Reached Abbey St., Aunt Roberts had moved to 65 Pollard Row, started out for this place and found them all well. Took tea and had fried fish, haddock and Winkles. At dusk I started for Ted Farnes. I found his place easy. Bros. Smith and Twelves were there. We all went to the meeting. I was called on to speak and enjoyed the meeting. Went home to Ted Farnes. Had supper. I prayed and went to bed 1 o’clock. Thursday 16th Jan: Got up at 8, washed, took breakfast then started to Aunt Robberts, then went up in town and bot shirts, dick collars and tie cost 20s, went back and changed clothes, put on wool shire, dick and turn down collar. Went with Aunt and found some of the Berletts. Glad to see me, then went and saw Sally Stevens and then Charlotte Walker, my cousin. She was so far I did not know her at first. I stopd and took tea, also Aunt took tea, then visited her husband. Saw Nick and saw a band saw it is 18 feet long. Aunt Roberts went to one of her shops about some work and I went to her house and fixed up my diary. It is 8 o’clock and Uncle not home yet. Uncle came at 8:30 sit talking till 10. Had barley, ? cheese and bread for supper. Went to bed at 12:30. Friday 17th 1879: Got up 8, washed, had breakfast and went for a walk to Ed Farnes first, then to Tom Johnson’s. It was so foggy I could not see. All the houses was lighted up. Found Tom Johnson well, had dinner with him and wife, talked about home etc. and spent a pleasant time with him. Went back to Ed Farnes at 2 o’clock, had a bite of dinner, then went to Sister Mackerville had to take a cup of tea, then went to see Bro. Chessels daughter, called on Sam and Mary Spillman and promised to spend Monday afternoon with them. Got back to Ted Farnes at 10, sit talking, had supper, talked again, went to bed at 1 o’clock. Saturday, 18th Jan: Got up at 10. It is snowing like Billy oh, had a wash then eat breakfast. In White Chaple road and bot some paper, envelopes and stamps, and a pr. of gloves and neck tie. Came home and wrote a letter to Fannie and one to Bro. Budge, Bro. Farness came home. We had dinner, then talked awhile. Snowing all day. Bras Band playing at New Baker shop can’t write. In the evening went to Beaumont Hall for a change. It was a concern. Then came home at 10:30 talked until 11:30, eat supper, went to bed at 1 o’clock. Jan Sunday 19th 1879: Got up at 9, washed, had prayer and breakfast. No snow or fogg, but thick mist. Write a letter to Delia, Ted, Albert, Fannie and the rest. Asked Delia to send copy of my patriarchal blessing. The the children Farnes one shilling and they put it in the Emigration Fund. Wrote a letter to Harry and Bishop Lewis, had dinner at 2 o’clock. Went to meeting, had a good time. Confirmed a brother, was called on to speak, took tea in the hall. Went to Bellets and had a big family turn out, they had to have some beer. I took a glass, we kept talking until one, went to bed. Monday, 20: Bishop and I got up at 10, had prayer, washed and took some breakfast. Ted Farnes is sick with Quinsy, can’t go to work. I fixed up and sent to Sam Spillmans, posted my letters on the way, spent the afternoon with them. Sam feels like doing better. I shall try to get him back into the Church. Went and visited Ted Roberst, stopd until 12, got to Ted Farnes by 12:30, went to bed at one. Tuesday 21 Jan: Got up at 9, attend to prayer, washed, had breakfast, administered to Bro. Farnes, then went out bot an umbrella cost 4/6, called on Aunt Roberts, passed down Ponderson Gardens, the old pear tree is gone. Looked upon the place in which my Bro. Joe died at St. Jude’s Place. Called at old Mr. Miles, the man to whom I was apprentice, but he had moved away. Walked to the office at Bishop’s Grove, found a letter from home. Fannie did not seem to feel very well. It made me feel low in spirits, but I hope and pray she is feeling better by this time. The letter was 21 days coming to London. I saw Bro. Smith at Bishops Grove, then started out to find Joe Bellet, which I done after a little hunting. His place is at 47 Shrubland Grove., E. Dalston. Saw his wife, she got tea for me. Being hungry I enjoyed it. Young E. Bellett came home at 6, he is a fine young man. He went with me to Uncle Johns, had a good time. Showd all my pictures to him and Aunt Betsy asked all the questions about poligamy she could think of. I enjoyed my visit much, promised to call again. Went to Aunt Roberts to sleep, went to bed at 1:30. Wednesday 22nd, 1879: Got up at 9. Had breakfast and started for Bishops Grove. Bot a London new - 6th posted it 3d. Met Bro. England at the office, talked while then took tram to Aldergate walked about ? , Bishopgate, White Chapel to Ed Farnes, had tea then talked with his family for awhile, attended Female Relief Society, then went to the White Chapel Hall, was called on to speak, had a good time and enjoyed myself much. Got home to Bro. Farnes at 10:30 had some gruel and went to bed at 11:30. Thursday 23rd 1879: Got up at 8, had prayer, then took breakfast, started out for Bishops Grove to see Bro. Budge. Got to Shoreditch bot me a ticket to Dalston and got turned around, thought the train was going the wrong way but found out different. Got to the office at 9:45 found Bro. Budge there, had a good talk. Bro. Budge is going to give me my appointment for next week. Bro. Twelves is going with me for a walk. We started out for the Tower of London, took train to Broad St. there we walked to the tower, got in at t 12 o’clock, cost 1/ each. I enjoyed it much, saw many things of interest, had lunch, cost 7d, then went with Joe Bellett Jr. to the ? depot, then walked about with him until time to go to theatre, went to the Standard and saw a beautiful pantomime called Robin Hood. I got back to Ted Farnes at 12 o’clock, had supper and went to bed at one. Friday 24 Jan 1879: Got up at 10, attended to duties, had breakfast and started to Bishops Grove. Ted Farnes went with me, we took R.R. to Dalston, went to the office and found all out. Ted Farmes returned home and I went on the west end of London to find Mr. John Hyde, Joe’s father, but he had removed from South Molton St. so could not find him. I then went to Trafalger Square and gased upon the Napier and Nelson Monuments and the beautiful fountains, these looked natural but the roads and building are so much changed. I did not know which way to go for St. James Park so asked a police, he directed me. I went and saw the Life Guard Drill, it put me in mind of old times, then proceeded to Westminster Abbey, House of Parliament and the bridges, there walked down the Thames Embankment, it is a fine piece of work and between Waterloo Rail Rd. and Wagon Bridges, Cleopatras Nedle is situated. It is a tall rock monument with Egyptian characters cut all over it. I was told that many of the old prophets have gased upon it, even old Moses in his day used to visit it in Egypt, from there I went and got a cup of coffee, then took buss to ? being very tired, had tea with Bro. and Sis. Farnes, then took a walk to Bro. Nanckervilles and spent the evening with them, had cocoa with them, came back to Bro. Farnes, sit talking until one and went to bed. Saturday Jan 25th 1879: Got up at 10, attended to duties then had breakfast, afterwarrd sit down to write 2 letters, one to Fannie and one to Delia, posted them at Mile end at 3 o’clock, then went to Joe Belletts, just in time for tea, sit talking until 7 then went with J. Bellets to the East End Museum. It is a fine place being well supplied with novelties of various kinds, spent 2 hours there, then went to see Tom Bellett found him and family well, had a glass of ale with him, spent 2 hours, then started for Ten Farnes, got there at 11:30, sit talking had fried fish for supper, went to bed at 1:30. Sunday, Jan 26, 1879: Got up at 9:30 had breakfast, then went for a bath in Exmouth St. Comercial Rd. had a good one, cost 6d, changed my clothes, brot my dirty ones for Sis. Farnes to wash. It is a little foggy this morning, but the folks think it is fine, to me, it is very dull, expect I shall get used to this weather soon. My toes are sore having chilblains on them. It makes me limp when I walk. Came home to dinner, had rabbit and pickled pork, after dinner to distribute some letters. I had visited East St., Globe Fields and Alma Road, Victoria Park, then St. James Church where my Bro. Joe was buried, but was disappointed to find the grave was levelled and built upon, it made me feel down hearted. Went to Aunt Roberts too tea and supper. All her family was there. Did not go to bed untill 2 o’clock. Monday, Jan 27th: Got up at 9, had prayer, washed, got breakfast, then went to the Bank to look through. I was much amused at what I saw. Went in to the printing Room, then to the note deposit and handled notes to the amt of one hundred thousand ? or equal to 10 thousand of gold. Saw the weighing machine and the engin, garden and fountain, destroying room, etc. Then took buss to Madame Tesands Wax Work, it is very fine. Went to the room of Horrors, handled the gallows, guilletien, etc. then went and visited the old Foundry and walked down ? Alley, then went to Bishops Grove, found 3 letters and roll of papers, 2 letters from home and 1 from Liverpool. My appointment to labor in Birmingham. During my walk this afternoon I met with a London sharsen, had lots to say and wanted me to drink but I refused. Went to Uncle John Curtis and spent the evening. Drank some wine, stoped untill 12, then went to Ed Farnes to sleep, got to bed at 1 o’clock. Tuesday Jan 29: Got up at 9:30 had breakfast, then fixed for a walk. Gave Sis Farnes 6/ as Bro. F is out of work and they have been kind to me. Walked up White Chapel Rd. by Butcher Row to Grace Church St., thence to Black Friars to visit Sis and Bro. Hills, they were glad to see me, had dinner and tea. I gave them some good advise, had been discouraged by a local Elder in his preaching, but I comforted him and wife, in the evening went to meet young J. Bellett and saw the Mohawk Minstrell, they were good. Got to Aunt Roberts at 11, went to bed at 12;

Experience with the Indians

Colaborador: MargieW Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Brother and sister Edwin Morell Curtis and their three sons had been in Logan, Utah only a few months when they first encountered the Indians. It was in the early spring of 1867, just a little more than six years after their arrival in Salt Lake City from their native home in London, England. Their little son Joseph, then only two and a half years old was lost. Had he wandered away ? Or could he be stolen by Indians as had several other children in Cache Valley never to be seen again ? Where could he have gone ? Frantically Brother and Sister Curtis searched for the boy. All the neighbors joined in the search which now seemed to be in vain. One neighbor, Sister Susan Martineau, encountered two squaws carrying something in a sack. Immediately she was suspicious and followed them. When she was convinced that they had a child in the sack, she tackled them alone. It was a hard fought battle but through her daring efforts, Sister Martineau succeeded in rescuing the child from them. How Happy she was to take the frightened Joseph home to his distracted Parents. Now surely their hearts were filled with joy and gratitude to their Heavenly Father for the safe return of their small son and to Sister Martineau, a true heroine. Soon after this Sister Curtis experienced the second encounter with the Indians. The family had just moved into their new home. They had their fourth child, a son whom the called Albert James. While Sister Curtis was busy with her household tasks, two Indians entered her home. One grasped her firmly and began to shake her violently while the other picked up the tiny baby. He held the infant by his feet, head down. In one hand he took a piece of stove wood and threatened to kill the baby unless she gave them "fire-water" or liquor. In her fright Sister Curtis screamed, such a loud, piercing scream as to frighten the Indians so that the one holding the baby dropped him on the bed and both fled. Once again Sister Curtis felt to thank her Heavenly Father for his kind protecting care. She had many close encounters with the Indians, but these two stand out above all others.

Biography of Fannie Harrison Curtis

Colaborador: MargieW Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

(Information taken from the biography written by her son Albert Curtis) Frances (Fannie) Harrison Curtis was born October 4th, 1841 in London, England. She was the daughter of James Hobday Harrison and Angelina Parry Harrison. With her mother being in poor health, the responsibility of helping to raise the family fell upon her shoulders at an early age. The two sisters following her both died very young. Fannie had no chance of attending school after she was nine years of age. But, having a bright and active mind, she learned quickly from her father along with the other children until they had grown to a mature age. She met Edwin Morrell Curtis at the LDS meeting house in London. They had both been baptized. They were married March 17th, 1860 and immediately made preparations to emigrate to Utah. Edwin had learned the tinsmith trade, he was very frugal, and because of savings he had enough money to pay their way to the place which to them was the Promised Land. They in company with other saints left Liverpool, England March 31st, 1860 on the sailing vessel, “Underwriter”. On the fourteenth day out on the ocean a very severe storm arose and many of the ships crew thought she would sink. They expressed their fears to the Captain. He met their fears with a smile and said he was not a bit worried. “Any ship with a cargo of them ____ Mormons aboard would never go down.” After 6 weeks the ship landed safely at the port of New Orleans. From there the travelers had to take a river boat up the Mississippi to Council Bluffs, Iowa. With the waters being low and the boat carrying a heavy load of freight, the passengers had to walk on the river bank most of the time and just eat or sleep on the boat. After reaching Council Bluffs they rested for a time making preparations for their journey across the plains. The town was quite a thriving little place and as Edwin walked around he noticed a Tin-Shop which naturally interested him. He went inside and talked to the owner and was offered a job. He thought it would be a good idea to work there until spring and earn money that would help them on their arrival in Salt Lake City. But, Fannie took a determined stand against the idea she knew their only course was to continue on with the company as had been arranged. They secured their hand-cart and supplies and began their journey across the plains under Captain Robinson. They suffered privations, living on very short rations, yet they did not suffer very severe hardships. Fannie once said she walked every step of the way to Salt Lake, except about one hundred and fifty feet. The reason was, when they arrived at the Platt River, she and a friend, Sister Rogers, were standing on the river bank when a tall young man came up and asked them why they didn’t go across. Fannie’s reply was that they did not know how to cross without getting their feet wet. So he said “I’ll show you”. He picked them up, one under each arm and waded across and set them on the other bank. Among the company were some who made trouble for the Captain. They were continually complaining and grumbling about conditions that could not be helped. In order to check this he appointed Edwin to be the Official Grumbler handler. Any member of the company having a complaint had to go to him with it. They were ordered to pay the grumbler handler one pound of flour for every complaint registered. Some brought him the flour, but in no instance did he accept it. His advice helped eliminate much of the grouchy spirit in camp. The Company arrived in Salt Lake City, August 31st, 1860 and each family began making preparations for a home. Edwin secured employment with Fred Schoppe in his Tin-Shop. With stoves being scarce, Edwin built the first outdoor community oven so those who wished could come and bake their bread. Their first child, Edwin H. Curtis, was born December 3rd, 1860. Two other sons, William and Joseph were also born in Salt Lake. They were there for about six years and then moved to Logan, Utah. The only available place in Logan was a new jail just finished by the town people, west of the old ZCMI building. They were given permission to live there until something else could be arranged. It was in this building that their son Albert was born. In the summer of 1867, their son Joseph was stolen by the Indians. He was about 2 and a half. Two squaws had picked him up while he was playing in front of the house. They put him in a sack and headed west to First West then south to the willows. Just before they reached the willows he began to cry loudly. Mrs. Susan Martineau and her daughter Elvira who lived on the corner of First West and Center Street heard him cry. They saw the squaws entering the willows with the sack between them. They started in pursuit along with Brother William Watterson who they met at the edge of the willows. They followed the Indians almost a mile before they came to their camp. They did not make any inquiry, but started to search the wigwams and finally found him covered with old blankets and sacks. The Indians made no protest when they took the boy from them and brought him home. Joseph died in Salt Lake City, November 22nd, 1869. The next in the family was Fannie who was born in Salt Lake City, March 22nd, 1869. She died in Logan, February 13th, 1887. In the fall of 1869 they moved to Malad, Idaho where Edwin took over management of the Malad Co-op Store and opened a Tin-Shop. Arthur was born in Malad, February 7th, 1872. That spring Edwin was given a government job at the Marsh Valley Trading Post. It was called the “Crossing”, as the home and store were near the bridge where the freight road going to Montana crossed. With the Trading Post being on the Indian reservation, hundreds of Indians were camped near the family home, but they were quite friendly. On one occasion while Edwin was away, three big Indian bucks came into the store. Fannie was alone with three small children. The Indians demanded that she give them whisky. She refused. They then made a move to help themselves. Fannie picked up a big army revolver from under the counter and threatened to shoot if they did not leave. They left. Later on a big chief came to the store with a bunch of horses and animal furs to make a trade. Albert was the boy they wanted to buy. They said they wanted to raise him as an Indian and make him a big chief. They soon found out it was “No Sale”! This left Fannie very worried. She was afraid Albert would be stolen. Fannie thought one experience of that kind was enough. Edwin got his release from the Trading Post and moved back to Logan in the spring of 1874. He bought a business lot on Main Street and erected a building where he had a Tin-shop and hardware store. Edith was born in Logan, August 27th, 1874, and Lily was born December 24th, 1876. Edwin purchased a lot for a home on the same block. But, soon after he was called to serve a mission in England. He left Fannie to take care of the business. She was assisted by Ted (Edwin) and Uncle Henry Curtis. When the Logan temple was dedicated in 1884 Fannie opened the Temple Boarding House in her home. Many young couples went there to enjoy her home and motherly advise. On his return from the mission, Edwin took on a second wife with polygamy starting. He moved to Colonia Diaz, Mexico taking his second wife with him. They had an additional 9 children. From that time on Fannie supported herself and her family with her boarding house business. In 1905 she sold her home and moved to San Francisco, California where she was appointed matron of the LDS Mission Home. She was assisted by her daughter Edith. During the earthquake in 1906 the mission home was damaged and they returned to Salt Lake City. In 1910 she and Edith went back to California, and lived in Los Angeles, Ocean Park and finally Santa Monica. Her home while there was an open house for the Mormon missionaries. On her birthday October 4, 1929 her friends gave a party for her. That night, she, Edith, Lily and Albert sat talking she stated she was thru working and was ready to leave them. She passed away 4 days later, October 8, 1929. She was buried in the Salt Lake City cemetery next to Edwin’s parents and her son Joseph’s grave. A head stone was finally placed on her grave in 2012.

Life timeline of Edwin Morrell Curtis

Edwin Morrell Curtis was born on 7 Nov 1839
Edwin Morrell Curtis was 1 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Edwin Morrell Curtis was 20 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Edwin Morrell Curtis was 21 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Edwin Morrell Curtis was 35 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Edwin Morrell Curtis was 44 years old when Krakatoa begins to erupt; the volcano explodes three months later, killing more than 36,000 people. Krakatoa, or Krakatau, is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic 1883 eruption.
Edwin Morrell Curtis was 59 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Edwin Morrell Curtis died on 28 Dec 1906 at the age of 67
Grave record for Edwin Morrell Curtis (7 Nov 1839 - 28 Dec 1906), BillionGraves Record 4183237 Logan, Cache, Utah, United States