George Edward Carrigan

15 Dec 1878 - 1 Aug 1965

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

George Edward Carrigan

15 Dec 1878 - 1 Aug 1965
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

GEORGE EDWARD CARRIGAN (LIFE STORY) George Edward Carrigan, my father was born at Peterson, Morgan County, Utah, December 15, 1878, a son of James and Lois Bent Carrigan. He was the youngest of a family of eight children; Mary Jane, Elizabeth (died when an infant), James William (Uncle Jim), Agnes A
Register to get full access to the grave site record of George Edward Carrigan
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

George Edward Carrigan

Casado(a): 18 Jan 1901

Larkin Sunset Gardens

1702 E 10600 S
Sandy, Salt Lake, Utah
United States


May 28, 2012


May 28, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about George Edward...

We found more records about George Edward Carrigan.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of George Edward


George Edward Carrigan is buried in the Larkin Sunset Gardens at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life Story of George Edward Carrigan

Colaborador: ClanFan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

GEORGE EDWARD CARRIGAN (LIFE STORY) George Edward Carrigan, my father was born at Peterson, Morgan County, Utah, December 15, 1878, a son of James and Lois Bent Carrigan. He was the youngest of a family of eight children; Mary Jane, Elizabeth (died when an infant), James William (Uncle Jim), Agnes Ann, Eunice, Albert Bent (Uncle Ab), Irvin (Uncle Irv), and George Edward. Grandpa was 67 years old when Dad was born. Most of Dad's early life was spent in Peterson. His father was one of six men to settle in Weber Valley, which is what Peterson was called until the railroad came through and changed the name to Peterson, the name of the first man who settled there. Grandpa Carrigan was a minister in the Church of England when he was converted to the Mormon Church. His early training had been of an intellectual and religious nature and this new life was extremely hard for him. His children, and especially Grandma, had to work very hard and had to endure many hardships. Dad told me that Grandma would stay up late on Christmas Eve and make cookies in different shapes to put in their stockings. This was all they would receive for Christmas and they were very happy with them. When Dad was 15 years old he went to Evanston, Wyoming, to live as did Grandma, Aunt Agnes and Uncle Irv. Grandma and Aunt Agnes operated a restaurant and Dad herded all the cows of the community taking them in the morning and returning them in the evening. Later he helped in the bar and luncheon counter. Their purpose for going to Evanston was to get money to buy wagons and other needed equipment for the farm and they sent home as much money as they could for this purpose. Uncle Jim and Uncle Ab stayed with Grandpa and ran the farm. Aunt Mary and Aunt Eunice were married and living in Ogden, Utah. They stayed in Evanston about two years and returned to Peterson after Grandpa fell and hurt his hip. Grandpa died about 18 months later at the age of 85. Most of Dad's formal education was at Peterson where he demonstrated his Irish temper by throwing his teacher (male), out the window. Another time he threw a book at his teacher and hit him in the eye. Because the teacher had only one eye (which Dad hit), they had to close school until it healed. In later years he stayed in Ogden with his sister Mary and attended Weber Academy for about Two years. Grandma had him come home when she was told that Dad was more interested in having a good time than in receiving an education. His early employment was mostly seasonal jobs. He worked on a construction job in Green River, on a canal construction in North Ogden and on railroad construction. He told me he received $3.00 a week on the railroad. He worked on a ranch on Antelope Island and Mother worked there at the same time for her aunt. Dad enjoyed teasing the buffalo and getting them angry, then he would dash to his buggy and go as fast as his horses would take him. Others who lived there were ready to run him out of the country because this frightened them as well as their horses. Dad married Ida Laura Rawle of Morgan, Utah, in the Salt Lake Temple, January 18, 1901 They drove to Salt Lake in a cutter (a one-horse sleigh) to be married. Through the years the following children were born to them; Lois, Lucile, Lola, Verna, James and George (twins) (George lived only one half hour), Agnes, Margaret, Leslie, Thomas (Tom), Rawle George (who died when one year old), Grant, a still born daughter and Phyllis. Daughters Verna, Agnes and Phillis who were married and had families, preceded Dad in death as did Mother. Dad was proud of his family and our accomplishments and would do almost anything to help any one of us, and did so many times. When we were young we would run to meet him when he returned from work and regardless of how tired he was, he would have a child sitting on each foot and he would carry the youngest and still manage to get into the house with all this load. While he appeared otherwise, he was very tender hearted and when we wanted something we weren't sure we would get, we would have Lucile go to Dad and ask for it because she would start to cry and Dad was a pushover. He had 29 grand children who affectionately called him Pa. He was very punctual and was never late for anything. People knew that if Dad wasn't there early, he wouldn't be there. Dad always had a vegetable garden, whenever we lived where it was possible, which not only yielded a bounteous harvest but was a work of art. Every row was straight and you would never see a weed in it. All of this he did after he had finished a day of hard work. He didn't want us to help because he thought we wouldn't do a good job. Dad worked for Pugmire Livery Barn in Morgan, which was later purchased by Uncle Jim and Uncle Irv and was operated by Dad and Uncle Jim. It was during this time that they purchased the first automobile that was owned by a resident of Morgan County. It was purchased for use in the business and was responsible for Dad's introduction to auto mechanics. This car gave him nothing but trouble. He would take people on picnics in it for 50 cents per person. He also took traveling salesmen (Drummers) to Croyden, Devil's Slide, Henefer, Coalville, Echo, Park City, and Heber. Dad had a natural mechanical ability, which was good in this case but later it proved to be bad for us. Many times when Dad was going to take us somewhere, one of the men of the community would bring his car for Dad to fix and he would work on it all day Sunday, free of charge, while we stayed home and fumed. When the livery business was sold, we moved to Peterson, living "Over the Peak" which was the name of the large ranch owned by Uncle Jim and Uncle Irv. Dad worked on the ranch as well as on road construction, while we lived there. We children were unhappy about moving away from our friends and Dad tried to paint a rosy picture of what life would be like there, promising to build us a playground. He did make a teeter totter,a swing and a miniature merry go round (using an old wagon wheel) but we still missed our friends. We had to carry all of the water we used from a spring and for such a large family it took a considerable amount for drinking, cooking, bathing, and for the family wash. The spring was down a hill from the house and I'm sure it wouldn't seem nearly as far nor as steep to us today as it did to us then. We had a form of Family Home Evening almost every night. On winter evenings we would play card games, such as Old Maid, Donkey or Rook. On summer evenings Dad would play ball with us or we would sit on the porch and sing. Mother taught us to sing harmony and Dad would harmonize with us. I remember when Lois, Lucile, Dad and I sang together at a Home coming program at Mountain Green. Dad also played the harmonica very well. While we lived "Over the Peak" we shared many fun times as well as some harrowing experiences with Uncle Irv's family. We returned to Morgan and Dad worked for the Union Portland Cement Company at Devil's Slide and later he worked for the Morgan Canning Company but then Grandma asked him to come and run her farm so back to Peterson we went. He was very thoughtful of his mother and when we lived in Uncle Ab's house, he strung a wire from Grandma's home to our house and installed a telephone at each place. Grandma lived alone and when she wanted anything she could turn a crank at the side of the telephone and it would ring our telephone. There was no telephone service in the town at that time. In addition to running Grandma's farm, Dad worked for the State Road Commission operating a road grader with his own horses. He also drove the school wagon, pulled by his horses. He loved horses and have them the best of care, regardless of how tired he was. Mother was glad he was considerate of his horses because it was the only reason he would stop working. He was very fond of dogs and owned one most of his adult life, some were of a very special breed. His attachment for horses and dogs was very different from his feeling for cows, he thoroughly disliked them. Perhaps his experience as a boy in Evanston might have been the reason. Dad was always interested in sports and was an active participant in Rugby (a more rugged from of football), baseball and basketball. We older children saw him play baseball and basketball and were his best boosters. He played basketball in the Peterson Ward House which was also used for dances as well as church meetings. It was in a game there that Dad's eye was injured when a player's finger was pushed into it. This permanently damaged his eye, making one pupil much larger than the other. In later years, when he wasn't an active player he managed a baseball team in Morgan, Utah. When Dad's sons became active in sports both he and Mother were there to support them. He enjoyed hunting and fishing and participated in both as long as he was able. He and Mother continued their interest in sports listening to all the baseball games of the Salt Lake Bees on radio and later they watched wrestling matches and the BYU basketball games on TV. After running Grandma's farm for a number of years, we moved back to Morgan and shortly after Dad started to work for the Utah Power and Light Company. He worked with the repair gang of the Power Department and worked out of the Salt Lake Exchange. After working there for two years he was transferred to Bingham Canyon as a Patrolman. He worked there for seventeen years when the company discontinued having Patrolmen and he went back to the repair gang. He traveled through the state of Utah and some of Idaho. At times they would be gone for three weeds. Dad was a hard worker and for him to quit working because he was tired was unthinkable. He would quit only when the job was completed. Many times when he worked for the Utah Power & Light Company, he was sent to do a particular job because his boss knew it would be done perfectly. He was not one to be out done, even by younger men, he would work faster and do much more than the younger men. He climber those heavy steel towers and worked for hours in hot weather and in bitter blizzards in the winter, until his retirement. He retired after he was seventy years of age after falling off a switch rack when he had a sun stroke. Years before his retirement he bought a home in Union, Salt Lake County, Utah. Here he had a peach orchard, chickens and a beautiful vegetable garden. Taking care of all of this had to be done in the evenings and it became too much of a burden for both Dad and Mother so they sold it and built a home in Midvale, Salt Lake County, Utah, where he lived the rest of his life. He never lost his strong desire to work and when he couldn't walk without crutches because of a bad arthritic leg, he would sit on a box and chop weeds with a short handled hoe, even though he knew it would make his leg more painful. He died August 1st, 1967 at the age of 88 years and was buried in the Memorial Gardens of the Valley, Salt Lake County, Utah. Written by Lola Carrigan Johanson

George Edward Carrigan

Colaborador: ClanFan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

My grandfather lived next door to us, he had an Irish father and English mother. Being a hard worker his yard was well-groomed and sported an abundance of petunias. He was also an expert gardener and owned a large peach orchard and several tomato plants. One year his harvest was so abundant we had tomatoes inside every large container we had. We finally had to house them in the bathtub and up against the wall as far as would hold. That year we made tomato juice. Juice requires large numbers of tomatoes. We cooked the juice until it changed colors, bottled it

My Grandfather, we all called PA.

Colaborador: ClanFan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I had so much fun with Pa growing up as a child, that I named my youngest son, Karl Edward after him, and Karl has named his son with the same middle name in honor of Pa. I remember always loving horses, and Pa told me his hunting dog was a horse, one of the uncles put a little quilt on it, handed me a piece of rope and said it was ready to ride. I got on and was immediately bucked off, everyone had a good laugh. The same uncles would want to bless my money and not give it back or would find it in my ear, unless Pa came to my defense. My Mother would tell me to go help Pa, so I would go and ask him for jobs and he would come up with some fun things to do. I remember one time he told me the job for the day would be to watch him from one of his fruit trees, so I climbed up and watched. One time he ask me to go and pick up bread and gave me some money. I was so afraid of not bring him the correct change back, so I took my sock off and put the change in and then put it back on my foot. It was hard to peddle my bike, but knew that he would have correct change even if it did not smell so good. Pa was always kind and loving to me and I will never forget his warmth and good jokes and his love for the family.

Life timeline of George Edward Carrigan

George Edward Carrigan was born on 15 Dec 1878
George Edward Carrigan was 4 years old when Krakatoa begins to erupt; the volcano explodes three months later, killing more than 36,000 people. Krakatoa, or Krakatau, is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic 1883 eruption.
George Edward Carrigan was 14 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
George Edward Carrigan was 25 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
George Edward Carrigan was 36 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
George Edward Carrigan was 51 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
George Edward Carrigan was 52 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
George Edward Carrigan was 66 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
George Edward Carrigan was 79 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
George Edward Carrigan died on 1 Aug 1965 at the age of 86
Grave record for George Edward Carrigan (15 Dec 1878 - 1 Aug 1965), BillionGraves Record 1246610 Sandy, Salt Lake, Utah, United States