Henry Barnes

15 Nov 1882 - 29 Apr 1951

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Henry Barnes

15 Nov 1882 - 29 Apr 1951
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

MANASSAH BARNES Family History July 1956 Manassah Barnes and Eliza Ann Allen met and were married. We don’t know where they met or how. Manassah was a young man from Wellsville, Utah and Eliza Ann lived in Cove, Utah with her widowed mother and six brothers. After they were married they homesteade
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Henry Barnes
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Henry Barnes


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States

Headstone Description



May 4, 2012


April 15, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about HENRY...

We found more records about Henry Barnes.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of HENRY


Henry Barnes is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Mannasah Barnes

Colaborador: Linda54 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

MANASSAH BARNES Family History July 1956 Manassah Barnes and Eliza Ann Allen met and were married. We don’t know where they met or how. Manassah was a young man from Wellsville, Utah and Eliza Ann lived in Cove, Utah with her widowed mother and six brothers. After they were married they homesteaded 160 acres of land on High Creek, three miles north of Richmond. They built their first house on the south hill, then after a few years they built a new log house down by the creek. They had twelve children born to them; their fifth baby, a little girl, died an infant. The children were as follows: Matt, Joe, Annie, Henry, Elmer, Ephraim, Mary Ellen, Elizabeth, Cora Dell, Milton and Sarah Jane. Manassah Barnes was an active church worker. In his younger days he was Sunday School Superintenent and M. I. A. President. They helped the sick and the poor families in the Cove Ward. No one went hungry as long as the Barnes family had anything, and on the farm there was always plenty. We had dairy cows and made our own butter. We always had pigs and chickens; Mother often walked to Richmond and carried a basket of eggs. We always had a good garden, and a big orchard---apples, pears, plums, a raspberry and strawberry patch, and other small fruits. The Barnes family lived on High Creek all their lives. When Matt was 21 years old and Joe just 19, they wanted a farm of their own, so Father gave them a team of horses and a wagon and went with them to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Matt was old enough to homestead and they settled near where Uncle Nick Wilson lived. After a few years they thought mining would be better for them so they sold out and went to Nevada; from there they went on the California, where Joe got married and had a business of his own. Joe remarried after his first wife died, and he passed away August 29, 1949. He is buried in Santa Rosa, California. Matt left California and was not heard from for 22 years, until Jack found him in Salt Lake City. He came home and visited with all the family and went back to Salt Lake City where he died on April 22, 1940. He is buried in the family lot in Richmond. Mother passed away on July 8, 1912 and is buried Richmond. In 1913 Father married Mary Harris. At that time there were five of the younger children at home. On May 1, 1928, Father passed away, and “Granny” as we called her, lived in the house until she passed away. Annie married James W. Atkinson. They settled in Twin Falls, Idaho. She died April 19, 1939 and was buried at Twin Falls, Idaho. Henry married Nellie Lemon. They settled in Smithfield. He passed away April 19, 1951 and was buried in Smithfield. Nellie died August 15, 1952. Elmer J. , Jack we called him, married Rosalie Golson. They settled in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he was a member of the Police Department for many years. He passed away July 26, 1955, and was buried in Salt Lake City. There are six members of the family living. Ephraim Barnes married Inez Gyllenskog. They settled in Twin Falls, Idaho. Inez passed away October 8, 1953 and is buried in Twin Falls. Mary Ellen or Ella Barnes married Joseph Corbert and lived in Smithfield. He died January 4, 1951. She married Gilbert Anderson in 1953 in Wellsville. Elizabeth or Libbie Barnes married John Robert Carver. He died January 16, 1926. Six years later she married Newell Purser. They are settled in Richmond. Cora Dell Barnes married Frank Nelson. Their home is in Treasureton, Idaho. Milton Barnes married Luela Gustavensen. She died April 18, 1944. Last year he married Loretta Loretta Comish. They belong to the Cove Ward and still live on the old homestead at High Creek. Sarah Jane Barnes married George Carver. Their home is in Treasureton, Idaho. She died October 16, 1959. I do not know who wrote this short Barnes Family History. It was given to my father, Lynn Nelson from a family member.

Thoughts of Henry Barnes

Colaborador: Linda54 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

From Winnie Holland 13 May 1981 Nellie thought Henry was perfect. She’d rather be with him than anywhere else. She used to bribe Winnie so she’d stay in the house to do the chores so Nellie would be able to go to the field with Henry. Their life wasn’t easy but neither was anyone else’s. Henry was tight with his money, except if it was something he wanted to buy. He wanted to buy lots of land because he didn’t want to work for someone else all his life. Winnie idolized Boyd. She carried him everywhere and fought all his battles for him. She changed his diapers and bathed him. He was the sweetest baby that ever was. She always loved him. Henry Barnes had a quick temper. He yelled at the horses he trained a lot. The horses knew his tamper and probably got a little skittish. Something happened to spook them and they got away from him. The harness on one of the horses caught the gate which was to hold them in. The gate was very large and heavy because one of the horses could jump a smaller gate. It just happened that this time his 2 1/5 year old son, Boyd, was going across the yard. Henry saw that his son would be killed if he didn’t do something to steer them away from Boyd. I was pretty sure that if it had just been the horses they’d have shied away from the baby. The problem was the huge gate that would almost inevitably hit and kill his son. The only thing Henry could do was run out and grab the gate and try to change its path. Boyd was knocked over and rolled in the dirt but wasn’t hurt. The horses turned and came back towards the father and son and once again Henry attempted to keep his son from being hurt. This time Henry fell as he grabbed the gate and it passed over his body at about the hips down, it literally skinned him alive. By this time the whole family was on the front porch watching helplessly at what was happening. Nellie could never handle such a situation and she just kept yelling, ‘Oh my baby, my baby.’ Winnie ran out to pick him up and ran back to the house. Nellie went to pieces as Winnie washed him. He was screaming the whole time. Nellie kept crying ‘They’ve killed my baby.’ Winnie finally told her mother ‘If he was going to die, he wouldn’t be screaming so loud.’ Henry always had the best team of horses. He raised them and trained them to sell. His team always pulled together. After he hauled his beets he would help haul beets for others. One man had a load of beets on his wagon but his team couldn’t get it out. He asked henry if he could hook his team to henry’s to get his load out. Henry refused, but he said he’d help the man if he would remove his team from the wagon. Then henry would hook his team on and get the wagon out. The man felt henry’s horses would need some help but did as henry asked. Henry got the wagon out. One winter he had hauled beets for one fellow. As he was cleaning out the wagon he slipped on the slippery beet remains on the wagon bottom and sprained his ankle. He still had 5 acres to plow. The type of plow he had was drawn by a horse, had a single plow blade and had to have a man to follow behind to guide it. With a sprained ankle this seemed impossible. But henry took and extra belt and strapped his foot up his back to his belt. He then proceeded to hop the 5 acres. Boyd had a paper route. Joe Reed let him use his Shetland pony to deliver them. When he was on the pony he would often go as fast as he could. One day he as going along delivering papers when the pony skidded on the cement sidewalk. Boyd fell off and hit his head on a telephone pole. He was unconscious for 3 or 4 days. In those days people didn’t go to the hospital like they do now so the Doctor kept visiting and the only thing they could do was to try and keep things quiet. While he was unconscious he rattled on and on about everything. Jane Ann Watts lived next to Henry Barnes. She had lots of chickens and knew them by name. She never locked up her chickens. One day after Henry had planted his garden he found the chickens going up and down the rows eating every seed. He was angry so he called Jane Ann to the fence and told her ‘If I find them in my garden, I’ll kill them.’ ‘Oh you wouldn’t do a thing like that would you Henry?’ ‘You bet I would.’ Well the next day the chickens returned and Henry caught one of them and rung its neck. He took it into the house and gave it to Nellie and told her to prepare it for dinner. ‘Where did you get it?’ she asked. ‘It doesn’t matter.’ ‘Is it one of Jane Ann’s?’ ‘I told her I’d kill them if they came back into my garden.’ Nellie wouldn’t prepare it and she took it to Jane Ann. She wasn’t mad, all she said was, ‘He told me he’d do it, it’s my fault for not believing him.’ Sam hunt made a bargain with Henry for some winter feed. After the price was agreed on Henry worked and saved to have enough to buy his winter feed. He ordered the hay and when it was all stocked in the barn, he wrote out a check to cover it. Sam told him it wasn’t enough because the price had gone up. Henry said a bargain was a bargain. But Sam insisted the price had to be raised. Henry had to borrow from a bank to pay the balance. When Henry gave Sam the balance, he told him, ‘don’t thank me for this money. I think you are a liar and a thief. You are not an honest man. Don’t talk to me again.’ As the years passed henry never would acknowledge Sam’s greetings. At this time they were still holding cottage meetings. Sam came early to one when it was being held at the Barnes home. As Henry answered the door Sam said he had come early because he felt it was a good time to become friends again. Henry replied, ‘I told you. I don’t like you. You are not honest. Don’t speak to me again, and get off my property.’ Till the day he died he never forgave Sam Hunt, or spoke to him.

Life timeline of Henry Barnes

Henry Barnes was born on 15 Nov 1882
Henry Barnes was 13 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Henry Barnes was 21 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Henry Barnes was 34 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Henry Barnes was 47 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Henry Barnes was 48 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Henry Barnes was 62 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Henry Barnes died on 29 Apr 1951 at the age of 68
Grave record for Henry Barnes (15 Nov 1882 - 29 Apr 1951), BillionGraves Record 1009482 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States