Hans Ernstsen

2 Dec 1852 - 3 Apr 1942

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Hans Ernstsen

2 Dec 1852 - 3 Apr 1942
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

The following is the conversion story of my great grandfather, Hans Ernsten as recorded in his personal journal. Because of the volume of his writings I have spliced together different passages to make his story flow logically but I have not added any words or thoughts of my own to his writings. Aft
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Hans Ernstsen
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Hans Ernstsen


Loa Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Loa, Wayne, Utah
United States


May 21, 2013


May 16, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Hans...

We found more records about Hans Ernstsen.

Grave Site of Hans


Hans Ernstsen is buried in the Loa Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Nome do Cemitério

Loa Cemetery

Endereço de cemitérios
Unnamed Rd
United States
Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Hans Ernsten Conversion Story

Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

The following is the conversion story of my great grandfather, Hans Ernsten as recorded in his personal journal. Because of the volume of his writings I have spliced together different passages to make his story flow logically but I have not added any words or thoughts of my own to his writings. After all, this is his conversion story, not mine. - Brad Peterson – Journal for 1885 from the first of January. Has Ernstsen born in Lyngby Sporup Sogn the 22nd December 1852. Married in Voldby Church the 8th of May 1875 with Jensine Rasmusen born in Herskind the 9th April 1852. The Password – Watch and Pray that you fall not into temptation. Our record number for temple work – 1042 – book 4. When sinners tempt you consent not. FORWARD: When something is seen and heard and experienced which is of interest, I have written it day by day in this book thinking that they should, if nothing else, be an enjoyment and pleasure many years hereafter, seeking to hold my truth and particulars intelligently. That part of the book which is regarded as a diary will hold the most important events which I experience – bad as well as good, written as impartial as possible. With this purpose before the eye, I begin my book hoping that the Lord will let His spirit rest upon me that I may write with its influence, knowing that God is everything – Wisdoms source and origin for everything which is noble, beautiful and good. And He lets it rain on the bad and good and lets His sun shine upon the righteous and unrighteous. MY BIOGRAPHY Hans Ernstsen was born in Lyngby Sporup Sogn the 22nd December 1852. My parents were poor and because of this I received only a little schooling. Already in my tenth year I must work for my bread and so I got very little schooling in the winter and none in the summer. But I showed enough energy and learning ability to be number three when I as 14 years of age was signed out of school. My best intelligence though was my knowledge of the scriptures and early I had a childhood innocence to believe everything I read in these holy books. “When I was 13 years old there was a great religious awakening in our neighborhood under the name of Intermission. My parents and older brothers and sisters joined that sect and after a while I often met with these. It also had its influence on me and I felt very happy and uplifted in their company and thought fully that time that that was the only way to be saved. But I could never fully feel myself united with them although many times I wished I could believe and follow as these. But when they said that they were God’s children and that they were saints then I felt my great nothingness and vainness to feel such. My brother Jens did everything possible to win me for their church and preached much to me. I often said that nothing was more dear to me than to believe and follow as he and his fellow believers did but I know not what to do. He said that I should go to Golgatha and cast myself down before the feet of Jesus and tell Him that I was a great sinner. I became no wiser of these teachings and when I became older I began seeking by pleasures in company with that thoughtless youth, though it caused me much grief and self reproach in lonesome hours. Often I went in lonesomeness and called upon my Heavenly Father to learn to know his way and receive strength to wander upon his stairs. But never at any time have I prayed in this manner without a voice coming to me which said – Wait a little, there will come a time when you will have the opportunity to serve God in accordance with His will. A number of years passed in such a manner until I was 22 and I got married. And a year after that I went to Aarhus and lived there. All though I had never heard anything of the Latter-day Saints teachings I was influenced of the spirit to go and visit their meetings. But it was hard for me to do this as an unseen power held me back, until one evening by accident I came by the hall where the Saints held their meetings and when I looked in at the same time I heard them singing, I went quickly up the steps and into the hall where the meeting had just begun. I sat quietly down on one of the back benches and listened with great attention but never in my life have I felt so wonderful as in the time I sat there. I felt a fight within myself. It were as though my breast would break open there was such a disturbance there in. Soon I felt so enrage and furious that I was about to go up and knock the speaker away from the pulpit and do summersaults. But as I of nature had never been a trouble maker, I shamed and upbraided myself for my bad thoughts and I listened again with seriousness and interest to the speaker’s remarks. And so I felt and understood that all their words were true and in agreement with the bible and could not be proven otherwise and I was filled with the best and noblest feelings. I may say that I could not understand myself as my feelings were so wonderful that evening. When the meeting was over, I thought only of leaving there but just as I neared the door to go, a young intelligent man took me aside and wished to sell me some small tracts. I thought it was just to earn a little money and I bought a couple of his folders hoping that he would be happy and pleased but just think, when I had boughten the tracts he began in seriousness to preach and expound the scriptures to me and certainly his words were food to my soul, because never had I felt so built up with any ones words or speech as that evening and I understood that everything he said was the truth. And he explained thing to me which I had established much on without understanding it but now it was made clear to me by his words. His name was F. P. Olsen who three months later had the honor of baptizing both me and my wife for the remission of our sins. I left the hall and that young missionary that evening with much happiness and his words could never be forgotten within me. I tried later to read these tracts, but every time I began to read them the same disturbance came over me as I had felt so strongly when I visited their meeting. I never did get more than the first page read of the tracts before I threw them away on account of the great fight and disturbance within which always came over me every time I began to read in these pamphlets, so I didn’t get much knowledge out of them. But the Lord was with me and His spirit had begun to work upon me and one evening when I thought of going out but had no means, there came two missionaries who had the chance to go around Aarhus in the evenings in their spare time and as I had the pleasure to personally know one of them, they were very welcome in my house and they took all the opportunity they had to explain the principles of the Gospel to me and I understood the truth of their words just as fast as they could explain it to me and as I now began diligently to visit their meetings I was soon convinced that Mormonism was the gospel of Jesus Christ given to the earth in this last days. And in obedience to the faith which was given me of God and that testimony which I had I went with my wife on the 30th of March 1877 and was baptized in water for the remission of our sins and was thus legally admitted as members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But this step was not carried out without opposition, because our enemy was angry and raged so well that he prevailed. It was a Sunday which was set for our baptism and I came home with P. Hansen to prepare my wife to go with me to be baptized. And it was such that my wife’s sister was living with us at that time and as soon as she knew what was going on she hurried out in the city and gathered together some of our family who came and made quite a commotion. Some cursed and others cried and lamented and my sister-in-law said, “But Sine what are you thinking of? What do you think your mother will say when she hears about this?’ The voices were excited and I turned to my wife with these words, “I am going to be baptized, but you shall not go because I go. You can do as you think best.” Her words were spoken loudly in everyone’s hearing, “I will go!” Her joy was greater than ever before because she had been ready for baptism before this time but had not told it to me but had waited to see what I would do. And then our relatives and friends laughed and mocked her and we both went with full faith in the Gospel and with an inner joy and peace in our minds and let ourselves be admitted as members of God’s church and kingdom here on the earth. When we came home in the late evening, we were again visited by a couple of relatives who were curious to know if we really had been baptized and when we told them that it was all over, they began speaking scornfully and mocking words and went noisily their way. I will remark here that all of these had before been our best and intimate friends, but from now on showed themselves as our bitterest enemies and tried with many opportunities to bring us all the evil and harm which stood in their power. But time mends all wounds, and about a half a year later it was forgotten and they were again as before our best friends and on of them later came into the church with her husband – Brother and Sister Kromann. This was a great turning point in my life. I began to study seriously the Lord’s commandments and to pattern my life after such. This world’s entertainments which had before been so dear to me, were now trivial and interested me no more. Now here is another chapter of our lives history. After I had accepted the Gospel, God”s priceless truths, it was always my greatest desire and longing to gather with the Saints in Zion. But for many years was hindered because of monetary circumstances and because of this my family split up over eight years. Our sweet little Marie was the first to leave the home. I shall never forget it when that sweet little child, five years old stood on the ship and saw me stand back with tears in my eyes and said, “Father, you shall also come with me.” But the Lord himself guides and leads the smallest child’s step. Marie got a good home with Lars Svenson in Moroni where she lived until she was married. Two years later it was my dear Karoline who emigrated. She was not so lucky in finding a home. She had to work hard for her living. But Karoline got along real well. Two years later and Ernst left. He got a place with I. C. Nielsen in Moroni. So they were lucky and all three lived in the same city. Two years went by and then it was Ove and myself. We left Copenhagen the 24th of April 1890 leaving my wife and five children in Aarhus. We traveled with the ship Cameo, Guion Lines. We had very pleasant weather and good sailing over the North Sea. We came to Hul, Sunday morning the 27th. Left Hul that morning at 11:30 and reached Liverpool at 5:30 P.M. Stayed on Lydia Ann Street with agent C. Petersen. Spent several days there seeing the city. Left the hotel Friday the 2nd of may at one o’clock to get our baggage on board the ship Wyoming which was to take us over the great ocean. We left Liverpool Saturday the 3rd of May 9:30 a.m. Were in Ovenstoven Sunday morning at 6:00. Left there the same day at 1:00 after we got more passengers and provisions on board. We weren’t far from Ovenstoven before many were in misery and few were a little sea sick. That night I stood guard. The ship swayed back and forth. On Monday the 5th of May we couldn’t see land any more. A good deal of the passengers were sick that day. The following day all was well on the sea. Wednesday the 14th of May in the mourning we were in New York where we went on board a little ferry which took us up to Kasle Garden. At 3:30 we left New York for North Folk where we arrived Thursday the 15th at 6:00 in the evening. We left there the same evening at 8:00 with the train. We arrived at Salt Lake City Tuesday the 20th of May at 12:00 noon where we were welcomed by some old friends from home and ate dinner with Sister Christiansen. Left there at 4:00 and were in Nephi at 9:00 in the evening and stayed with watchmaker C. Petersen that night where I enjoyed much hospitality. Left there the next day at 1:00 on the train to Moroni which was my goal where I arrived at 2:00 Wednesday the 21st of May 1890. I was truly happy to meet with my children whom I hadn’t seen in many years. But I found them all doing well. A few days after I went to Nephi to seek work which I found with bricklayer Jacobsen from Moroni where I worked for a month. Then I went to Loa in Piute Co. to work on Brother Bastian’s farm where I through the Lord’s grace was able to save enough so I could send for my family whom I had the joy of receiving in the middle of October under the best circumstances. And I can today say that the Lord is with His people and blesses those He loves. Because only through our Father’s grace and help have I with my family been in a position to be delivered from Babylons need and poverty and now after a half years time I rejoice in Zion enjoying good health and blessed with enough of the necessities of life and in my family circle, for all these good blessings. God our Eternal Father honor and praise and thanks in all eternity – Amen. H. Ernstsen.


Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I was born to Ammon Oyler Jr. and Annie Elizabeth Ernstsen in Loa, Wayne county, Utah on July 13th 1927. Doctor Nelson delivered me on mom's kitchen table on a beautiful summer day. Mom chose the name Marelda but dad like the name LaRue so as a compromise they named me Marelda and called me LaRue. I was called LaRue by everyone except Uncle Ralph who felt that if I was named Marelda, I should be called Marelda. I was always Marelda to him. A few years ago I had my birth certificate changed to include the name LaRue. I was the 12th child of a family of 13 children. I was welcomed into the world by six brothers and 5 sisters. Lester was born two years later and he was my best fried growing up. George Okerlund in the Loa Ward blessed me on September 4, 1927. I was baptized on September 6, 1936 by Nephi Rees in the old gristmill pond up by the Potter's place and confirmed September 13, 1936 by Owen Davis. When I was 4 years old Dad died of colon cancer and Mom had to raise 13 children by herself. I am still amazed that she was able to do this. She had to work hard to take care of all of us. It couldn't have been easy. Mom was always a hard worker and I remember her working many jobs to earn money. When dad got sick they doctored him for a couple of years for what they thought were hemorrhoids. When it was found out he had had colon cancer the doctors told him that he would only live six months. However, he lived at least five years. Although his condition worsened as time went on and his suffering was great, he was only bed fast for the last few months. Dad was sick for such a long time. he was always in pain and nothing would stop that pain. I remember him laying on a blanket in the sunshine and my youngest brother, Lester, would take cool water to him. He was finally relieved of his suffering when he passed away on September 31, 1931. I remember the day that he died. The wind blew so hard that it blew a tree down in our yard. I remember wondering what was going on and being so afraid of all that was happening. I really didn't understand what was going on, but I remember dad's funeral and I remember Uncle Ralph lifting me up to kiss Dad goodbye. I was so afraid of having to kiss him and seeing him dead in his coffin that to this day I have a fear of seeing dead people and I hate funerals. There were eight of us still home when Dad died and of course we were all expected to do our chores. Needless to say we all learned to work as we all had to do our share to provide for our family. Wood and coal had to be brought in for heating the house and doing our cooking. Mom had an old cook stove out on the porch and we had to keep the fire going so mom could cook our meals. Layton was the oldest boy still at home and at age fourteen took over most of the responsibility for running the 40 acre farm. We younger ones helped where we could. Lester and I used to ride the old derrick horse, old Doll, to help the boys unload the hay. We fed the chickens and gathered the eggs and drove the cows a mile through the lane to pasture every morning and back at night so they could be milked. Once in a while mom would give us an egg to take to the store and trade for candy. To have an egg for candy was a great treat. We also took time to have fun. One of the things we did was to jump off the shed onto the haystack. Les was always afraid to jump so we helped him a little by pushing him off. We just about scared the poor little kid to death. On summer evenings we would build a big bonfire out in the middle of our lot. Leland, Les and I together with all the neighbor kids would play "Runs My Sheep Run", "Kick The Can", "Mumbly Peg" and other childhood games. Then we would throw some potatoes into the fire and roast them until they were black. We would then drag them out of the fire with a stick and peel the black off of them and eat them with a little salt. Our hands and faces would be black, but we thought the potato's were a yummy treat. Potato roasts were very popular with all the kids and we had a lot of fun roasting potatoes. When Dad was alive he used to butcher and smoke pigs for our family and also for the neighbors. After he died the old smoke house didn't get much use so we made it into a playhouse. We spent many happy hours playing house in that old smoke house. Mom was such a hard worker and she did whatever she could to help provide for us kids. She started doing housework for different women in town. She took in washing, ironing, cleaning and any other job that she could get to help provide food, clothing and the necessities for our family. I don't know how she did it and kept her sanity but she was always a happy and fun person to be around. One time I remember her brooding turkeys for Riley Stephenson out at Road Creek. She had to sleep out there in one of the coops and keep checking the turkeys during the night to make sure they stayed warm and none of them smothered. Les and I would go out and stay with her sometimes. It was at this time that she planted the cedar tree that used to be at the head of Grandpa and Grandma's graves at the cemetery. I remember taking buckets of water to help keep the trees alive. We had a lot of fun playing out there. I don't know how much help we were to Mom, but at least we were company for her. Mom also cleaned the show house after each movie. We sometimes got to eat leftover popcorn and occasionally we got to see a movie. I enjoyed helping mom sweep the floors because sometimes you would find lost items on the floor and Mom would let us keep what we found. I don't remember much about my dad, but my older brothers and sister and neighbors have old me somethings about him. He was a plumber and worked for the Loa City Water Company. He was also janitor for the church building. Everyone says he was neat and clean in everything he did. I have even heard it said that his corrals looked like they had been swept clean. We always had a large garden and canned a variety of vegetable enough to see us through the winter. Mom taught me how to can and to cook. We had a root cellar that was under our porch. We kept our bottles of fruit and vegetables in this root cellar. We stored carrots, potatoes, squash and other vegetables and hung our cured meat in our cellar to keep it cool. When the fruit came on in Fruita our family would ride the old wagon down to Fruita to help Uncle Tine Oyler pick his fruit. As payment we got all the fruit we could bottle. Sometimes we would bottle our fruit while we were in Fruita and sometimes we would bring it home to bottle. Dad would kill a cow and a pig or two and hang them in the smoke house so the family would have fresh meat to eat. The fat rendered from these animals was used to make lard which we then used in cooking and for making soap. I remember helping Mom make soap in a big number 3 tub over a bonfire out in our yard. We had to stir the lard, lye and other ingredients until it started to form into globs. We would then let it cool and then form it into cakes and let the soap harden so we could use it in our laundry and for cleaning and bathing. Mom did the family laundry by hand with a washboard and two metal washtubs, which had to be kept full of hot water. She had a copper boiler filled with water that she put on the kitchen stove to boil. We dipped hot water from the boiler and kept adding it to the washtubs to keep the water fairly warm for her to wash the clothes. I suppose the water was carried from Spring Creek or the town ditch. I remember a large wringer was used to wring most of the water from the clothes before they were hung outside on a clothesline to dry. It was very hard to scrub those heavy overall, socks, shirts and other clothing, not to mention sheets and other bedding on the washboard. Everyone used homemade lye soap, which really got the dirt out and kept things looking white. I remember the Indians coming to our home begging for food. They would come in asking for piggy meat and flour. I was really afraid of the Indians. Mom used to tell us that if we weren't good she would give us to the Indians, so whenever I saw them coming I would run and hide from them. One of my favorite hiding places was behind the old cook stove. Mom usually gave them a couple of sieves of flour and a little cured meat and then they would be on their way. After Dad died, Grandfather Ernsten became my dad. After Grandmother Ernsten died, Grandpa moved from the farm to a little cabin which was built for him next to our house. He moved closer to help my mother care for us kids and to do what he could to help us out. He loved flowers and planted them in abundance. Every night we would take a bowl of warm milk and a slice of bread over to him for his supper. He was very good to me and spent time telling us stories and letting us tag him around. Grandfather bought Les and I our first bicycles and bought mom a washing machine so she didn't have to work so hard doing laundry. He liked old fashioned black hard licorice sticks and peppermint candies. Almost everyday he would give Les and I a dime to go to the store and buy him candy. Maybe that is why he bought us our bicycles so we could get there faster. I loved my Grandpa Ernsten. He was so very good to us. I went to Elementary School in Loa. I was so excited to be able to go to school like my older brothers and sisters. Mom made me a couple of dresses for school but we had to change into play clothes the minute we got out of school. I had one good pair of shoes, which had to be saved for school so I went barefoot a lot while at home, but all the kids went barefoot in the summer. My first grade teacher was Phyllis Webster. Savoy Blackburn was my 2nd grade teacher. I don't remember who my third grade teacher was but Dora Dean Morrell was my fourth grade teacher. Max Robertson and Deward Blackburn were also teachers I remember. Owana Brown (Grundy) was my best friend growing up. She lived a block east of our place where Loree Sorensen now lives. We spent a lot of time together playing. We converted the smoke house in the middle of our lot into a playhouse and spent many happy hours there. Leland, Les and I along with the brown, Potter and Bastian Kids would play "Run My Sheepie Run", Hide and Seek" "Kick the Can" and other childhood games. Christmas was always a fun time of year. Mother was a great hand to decorate for Christmas. Christmas was her favorite time of year. She used to decorate the tree with every trinket she could find. It was covered with ice sickles, shiny balls, strings of beads, bubble lights, little candle lights and little ornaments of every shape and color. Later she bought a little train set that she always sat under the tree and a Santa Clause riding a reindeer. We would hang our great big ol' long brown stockings up for Santa to fill. Christmas morning we found some peanuts an orange and a banana in them. We thought that was such a treat. My first Christmas that I remember, I got a little doll and a new pair of shoes. Christmas was such a fun time and I have fond memories of those days. It became a tradition that I got a new dress and a new pair of shoes to go to the kids dance and program on Christmas eve. Mother would always take us to be in the Christmas program. My first part in the program that I can remember was a snowflake. I'm sure I made a dandy snowflake. The primary was in charge of the program then and they still do it today. The last doll I got for Christmas was so pretty that Mom used it for part of her many decorations on the tree for years to come. I still have that doll with the pretty little face and the memories that went with her. Mom always got so excited for Christmas although it must have been a great worry for her knowing that she couldn't afford much in the way of presents. She always tried to make Christmas special for us kids and I will always love her for that. We would all go to the Christmas dance and program that was put on by our church and then we would go home and get ready for Santa to come. I'll never forget the excitement and anticipation I felt just knowing Santa was coming. One year just before Christmas, Mother sent Les out to get us a Christmas tree. Les and James Stevenson didn't come home and it got later and later. It started getting dark and Mother got quite worried so she asked Clyde and Delia to come over and help me with the chores while Mom went out looking for them. As she came back with Les, Leon (Clyde and Delia's son) was teasing me. There was a small wood box filled with kindling setting by the back door and as mother open the door I kicked the chip box and it went through the glass door. I will never forget it. I felt so bad because Mother was so upset she sat down and cried. Clyde kept saying, "don"t Cry, we'll fix the door, we'll fix the door, don't cry. I think Mom had just had it. I don't know how she ever survived all of us kids and all we did. In the winter time we would spend hours sledding down the hill north of our place. If we didn't have a sled which we rarely did, we would take the hood of an old car or an old washer lid and convert that into a sled. Often we would sit on an old tire or inner tube and someone would pull us behind a horse or a car. It was great fun. Christmas day was always exciting no matter what we got. It didn't matter that we didn't receive much because our house was always filled with wonderful smells. Mom was a good cook and we always had delicious things to eat. She made fruit cakes around thanksgiving time because they needed to cure to become really good. I don't remember her ever using a recipe. She just seemed to know what to put together to make delicious pastries, candies and pies. It was just a pinch of this and a sieve of that. She could never give anyone a recipe, because they were all in her head. Mom could make just about anything except cakes. Her cakes always seemed to fall. I think she tried to make them too good. We used to have a Magpie bird for a pet. It lived in the house with us and roosted on the bedpost. Mom had split its tongue and taught it to talk. It would go to school with us hopping along ahead of us from one fence post to the next saying "hurry up kids, hurry up kids". I have never seen a bird like it since. He could say almost anything we would say. He heard someone tell Margie that she had a pretty dress and he would repeat, "Margie had a pretty dress, Margie has a pretty dress". When school was over he would be sitting there waiting for us and would be sitting there waiting for us and he would fly ahead of us as we went home. One time someone took some sausage that was kept in the cooler outside. The first thing we knew Maggie was saying "Gertie did it, Gertie did it". There was a lady named Gertie Bastian who had come to visit mom, whether she took the sausage or not, I don't know, but Maggie seemed to think she did. It was a sad day for us when Maggie flew up to our neighbor's house and she hit Maggie with a broom and killed her. We all felt so bed. We captured another Magpie and split its tongue but we never could get it to talk. Maggie was just one of a kind. When I was about 9 years old Gelina and I had a horse run away with us. I started to slide off but refused to let go so as I hung there the horse drug me. Everyone was yelling for me to let go but I was right under the horse's feet. When I finally got free I was scratched and skinned form head to toe, but luckily I had no broken bones. Leland was the only one of us that ever had a broken bone, which is quite amazing with all of us kids. The day he got his cast off he went out the back door and slipped on some frozen ice, from a leak in the tap and fell and broke his arm again in the same place. The only scar I have is on my knee where Leland and Ernest were running with me in between them and I fell and cut it. On November 1, 1938, when I was 11 years old Mother married Frank Manwell. This brought a happy change into our lives and we enjoyed him and his children. His children were Dan (who was my age) Marion (who was Les's age) and Junior (who was sixteen). Leta also came to live with us for a short time but was married shortly after and left our home. We went many places together and we were glad they were part of our family. Frank was good to us kids and Mom. Frank and Mom, Gene and Mae Smith were really good friends and went many places together. They enjoyed each other's company. I can still see Frank sitting by the old pot bellied stove to keep warm. Frank helped mother take care of her invalid sister Caroline, who was crippled with arthritis and had to live with us so she could get the care she needed. He lifted her from her chair to the table and back again, and helped with her other needs. Frank did many things that I'm sure was a big help to mom. When I think back on that time, I am very grateful for Frank and all he did for mom and for us kids. He made life a little easier for us. In the evening mom and Frank played card with Caroline, which I'm sure helped entertain her and helped the time go faster. I remember her crippled hands trying to hold her cards. She did the best she could and was always pleasant to have around. It seemed like mom always had someone to take care of I never heard her complain. She was always cheerful. She was a saint if ever there was one. When I was a sophomore in high school, World War II broke out and a lot of the boys were drafted into the service. I had two brothers serve in the military. Ernest was drafted into active duty on October 8, 1942. He served in the pacific Theater and participated in the battle of Luzon. he was discharged in February 1946. I was 17 years old at that time. Leland was inducted into the army on the 15th of November, 1943. He was sent to Naples Italy to participate in the Roma Aren North Apennies, Po Valley battle and campaigns. He served as a rifleman in the infantry on the front lines for eleven months and was in the hospital when the war ended for a wound he received at the front line. A very exciting thing happened when an airplane carrying a bunch of service boys had engine trouble and was forced to land in Loren Webster's field. They dismissed school that day and held a dance in honor of our departing service men. We had a great time dancing and getting acquainted with those boys. Things changed with the start of the war. Sugar, shoes and gas were rationed but I don't remember it affecting us very much because we were used to doing without. Many of the boys in our small town went to war and so dating was a little hard because there weren't many to choose from. I missed my brothers and we had to work a little harder to make up for their absence. I had the opportunity to be a cheerleader during my sophomore and junior years, which turned out to be a lot of fun. We thought we were so acrobatic and we tried to flip Bernice over our backs and onto her feet. We flipped her over our backs ok, but she landed flat on her back. She was a great sport however and jumped up and continued on with the cheer. I still have my cheer leading outfit. I thought it was so beautiful. One night Owona and a bunch of us kids stole mom"s car. We pushed it two blocks before we started it so she wouldn't hear us. Then we went over to Owona's and she and I kept Mae and Lavar Brown occupied while the other kids filled the car up with gas. As there wasn't any place to go and we had very little money, we created our own fun. We would meet at some ones house and make candy or have a taffy pull and play games. it was also common to steal chickens and roast them. Everyone who had chickens expected a few to come up missing. It was not unusual to steal you own chickens or have the owner in the coop handing them out to the kids. I think adults were a lot more tolerant of the antics of kids back then than they are now. Owona, Vella June, Gwen and I went camping up the creek one time. We thought we were so grown up to be able to go camping all by ourselves. Lavar took us up to the creek and helped set up our tent. We climbed in our tent and it was so nice and warm we all fell asleep. When we woke up we thought we had been there for at least two days. It started to rain and we couldn't do anything but sit in the tent and wait. Finally Leland came and got us and took us home. We were so glad to see Leland and to go home. So much for our great adventure One summer Bonnie Jean and I went to Salt Lake City to work. Aunt Rose came to get us and the minute she waked into our apartment she said,"you girls have bed bugs". She said she could smell them. Bonnie Jean and I had slept with them all summer and they hadn't bothered us one bit, but that night Rose slept between us and they about ate her alive. She was peppered with bites from her head to her toes. When we got home Mom and Aunt Florence made us hang our clothes on the line for a week and we had to strip before we could go into the house. After Clyde and Delia got married they tried to help out whenever they could. I remember one time they had gone somewhere and I decided to surprise them by roasting a chicken for their dinner. I worked really hard getting the chicken just right and I served it up on her very best platter, which hadn't been used for some time. We all ate the chicken and then realized that the dust was so thick on the platter that you could see right where the chicken had been sitting. I spent a lot of time at their house and once some of us kids were jumping on their bed and it came crashing down. They were such good sports about it. They never said anything cross to us, they just fixed it and went on. I was a cheerleader when I met Clint. I thought he was so handsome. He had just gotten home from the war and would come to the ball games and dances at the high school. He asked me to go with him to get something to eat after the game. We went to get hamburgers but for some reason he wouldn't eat all of his. He said he had to take it home for Michael. I wondered what kind of a home he came from that he had to take his hamburger home to someone else. Later on I found out that Michael was his dog. On June 11, 1946 at the age of 18 I married Clinton Dee Peterson in my mother's living room. Willis C Oldroyd, who was the Stake President at that time, married us. I bought my own wedding dress but I didn't have a veil. My sister-inlaw Mary insisted that I needed a veil. Mary was a really good seamstress so she took and old sheer curtain and made it into a veil for me. We had a very memorable day with our families and friends who had come to help us celebrate. I was so excited to begin our new life together. For our Honeymoon we went up the creek and camped overnight. Kirk and Etta Nelson went with us so we didn't get lonely. Kirk was one of Clint's best friends and we spent a lot of time with them. We made our home on the farm homesteaded by Clint's dad. We lived in the back two rooms of the house. We had a kitchen and a bedroom but no plumbing, just an outhouse. All year long we sauntered out back to our little outhouse. We lingered in the spring and in the fall. In summer we moised out but did not tarry too long.. In winter it was a mad dash with a shutter and a shake. Oh those were the good old days.

Harold's story from daughter, WanaLu Johansen Burr

Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

OF EMIL HAROLD FREDERIK JOHANSEN Born of goodly parents, February 27, 1895 at Bjerge Mark Jylland Danmark.My father: Hans JohansenMy Mother: Helena Almina Hansen Grandfather: Johan Nielsen Grandfather:.Hans Dinesen Grandmother: Kirsten Christoffersen, Grandmother:Ane Frederika Sorenson G Gfather:Niels Rasmussen, G Gfather: Soren Jensen G Gmother: Anne Marie Christensen, G Gmother: Helene Frederik Datter G. G.Gfather:Rasmus Nielsen, G.G. Gmother: Christen Hansen Smed. We lived on a small Farm 10 Acre. We had a horse, 2 cows we milked, one goat, one pig, 1 horse, 2 sheep, and 12 chickens.Birth dates of my oldest Brother and sisters: Andreas Johan, 7 August 1890, Martha Kirsten Frederika, December 4 1891, Marie Inger Sofia, August 28 1893, myself, 27, February 1895, Salamon Christoffer, January 7, 1897, he died at theAge of 9 years old of diphtheria, Hans Christian Joseph, January 1907. Very little do I know about my father. I understand he left Danmark and came to the United States in his younger days and got hurt here by overworking and came back to Danmark and married mother in 1888. He was born July 31, 1853. He would be 35 years old when he married. Mother was born March 23 1864 and would be 25 year old when married. Father died January 26, 1899 so after 10 years of marriage; mother was a widow with 5 children. I was 4 years old when dad died. The county helped her with support. Mother would sew clothes for a living. She also worked in a garden. We were healthy children and it kept mother busy buying rye bread and food to eat Most of the time I could have eaten one more slice, but got along with what we had.I stayed in the country and tended cows. Us kids had to get out and work . I was hired out when I was 9 years old and never stayed home after that. I would come home twice a month and mother knew that I liked ‘pandekager’ hotcakes for dinner so she would cook them for me. Andreas Johan went out and worked for our neighbor Rasmus Beck. He had 8 cows and Johan took care of. Mother belonged to the Baptist church and would go to meeting and leave us kids at home. One time when she had gone, we nearly burned the house down. We got the fire out and saved the house. The house we lived in was called( bilet). While we lived in this house, Cousin Hans R. Hansen came to Denmark on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mother and Johan joined the church. They knew it was the true church. We Kirsten (Inge), me was baptized to the Luthern Church. We weren’t baptized as infants, but I was Sprinkled and given the name of Emil as suggested by the pastor. Mother liked to go to conference and it was on such occasion I went with her to Aarhus that I was baptized and Martha and Inger also joined the church. Standley Rasmusen of Draper baptized me into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in September 28, 1913. I went to school in Bjerge Jylland from the time was 7 years old till I was 14.School days were good to me. One time we were allowed to have a couple of hours in the forest. We chose up sides and we played soldiers and robbers. I was on the side of robbers and they would hide and the soldiers would find us. The trees were close enough that we could swing from one tree to the next and I was doing that and one tree I swung to was somewhat shorter that the one I was in and the top broke and I fell head down and hurt my neck and was unconscious also. The rest of the class walked me home but I came too and got well again. I was around 7 years old. I went to school 3 ½ days a week in the summer and 5 full days in the winter. The days I stayed in the winter, I would help thresh grain and I would get very tired, but I learned one part of life, (WORK) and that has been a great blessing to me. I learned to tell the truth also.One time I went to bed before Johan and I had locked the door and when Johan came, he couldn’t get in and he couldn’t wake me. He got quite excited, but he finally woke me and I took the lock off the door. Mother was praying to come to Zion and for a long time it looked hopeless. Us kids were saving, but it took a long time to have enough money for a ticket, but finely I had enough and came over by myself in April 1914. In 1903, mother sold our home (bilet) again and moved to Horsens, rented a place in Gronegade and I didn’t want to go to the city and my brother Johan worked in a place that took me in, Jens Samualsen. I helped (med) with the cows; there were maybe 18 cows, a few sheep at that time. One night in the fall of the year, I was sent out to get some of the cows. The days were short and it got dark maybe by 7 or 8 O’clock. I was to(chance) check the sheep while I went for the cows, but I let the sheep go and just brought the cows home. The boss asks me if I had (changes) checked the sheep, I told him I had. He ask me if any of them were lost, I hold him “no” then he told me they were all lost, and that was it. I started to bawl and decided not to tell a lie again and since then I have been tempted, but I didn’t yield and that was and has been a real blessing to me. I stayed there that year and most of the next year till Nov 1, 1904. At that date I moved to Rasmus Beck and worked for him 1-½ years till May 1st 1906. Then I moved to Kristoffer Kristoffersen for 1-½ years. I then moved to Soren Sorensons November 1st 1907 and worked there 3 years till November 1st 1910. I then moved out to Rasmus Beck again for 2 years. November 1, 1912 I moved to Peter Petersons in Braa (Dallykegaard) and worked for 325 Krones. That year November 1913 I worked as a day worker till March and at that time I prepared to come to Utah. I sailed from Estberg April 1st to England and from England to St. John Canada and arrived in Loa May 1st 1914 ‘to the Promised Land’. In August 1914 the world war broke out and for 4 years the family had to stay where they were, but after that Inger, Andreas, Mathilda, Martha, Hans and mother came to Utah. Her dreams had come true. Us kids bought mother a small house here in Loa and there she lived the rest of her life. She even found her a sweetheart and married Hans Ernsten. I wanted to homestead and get to farming. I came to live with Uncle Michael and Benjamin Hansen. Tirza Hansen was on a mission at that time. I got a job in Horsevalley after I came to Utah. I worked for Eugene and Frank Neff. I worked for $1 a day and board, grubbing brush, pulling brush, shoveling ditches, pitching hay, and irrigating. War broke out in Europe 2nd August 1914 and the United States declared war April 6th 1917. I was drafted in the army September 18, 1917 and spent 1 year 3 months in the army and got home before Christmas 1918. Army life was good for me in many ways. It was wartime, 1st World War, and every able boy was drafted and the army was popular. It helped me to come out of my shell, anyone wearing a uniform was popular. We boys were sent to Camp Lewis, Washington State and there was tough Army formation drills. There were 7 boys in the draft September 18th 1917 from Wayne Co. Benjamin Hansen, Pratt Chappell, Lester Coombs, Otis Jones, Frank Forsyth, Emanual Wayman, and me. Pratt Chappell and I stayed together all the way and I enjoyed being with him and being his buddy. A good buddy is great in the Army and Pratt was a good buddy. While we were in Camp Lewis we volunteered to join the Spruce Division and in December we were sent to Vancouver, Barrick Washington and in the spring we were sent to Astoria, Oregon to work in a sawmill. My work there was loading railroad cars with lumber and there we stayed the rest of our time. After I came out of the army, I got a job driving truck, hauling freight for the Loa Co-op. The Co-op bought a 3 ½ ton truck’ federal’ and I hauled freight from Salina and I would haul pigs from Loa to Salina and wool in the spring from here to Sigurd. Scott McClellan and Henry Callahan were the bosses in the co-op and they were good to work for. I got along well there. I made 3 trips a week over and load up Monday and back the next day and unload. I carried my bed and slept wherever night would over take me and had a grub-box so I could eat whenever I got hungry. The Loa Co-op furnished the grub and I enjoy the work. I worked in the store till 1929. The Co-op went broke in 1926 and then I worked for George C. Brinherhoff and Isaac Wax and George Haney. I lived with Uncle Michael till I got married 1st of April 1920. My sweetheart lived in Loa and her name was Loa Arintha Taylor0 I bought a house and we moved in there. In 1930 we moved to the Sandy Ranch in Garfield County and worked there raising turkeys for a year. Then we moved back to Loa and in 1931 we traded our home in town to Axsel Ernsten for his 80-acre farm and lived there. Axel had a mortgage on the farm for $2200, and he was loosing out and couldn’t pay the taxes and when I got it the mortgage was $2700 and we traded our home in town and it was worth about $1500. We had to pay the mortgage on the farm. We paid some each year till it was paid off. We built a basement and later built a home on the basement. To start with I got a horse with a promise to raise a colt for pay. The horse was $15 and I had a team. Uncle Michael gave me a harness, wagon and plow. We had 2 cows, 1 heifer, and one calf and a doggy lamb. We raised 7 children, Emil, Arden, Owena, Lella Vee, Wana Lu, Larry and Harold Jr. At the time Lella Vee was a baby we made $365 the first year. We bought a buggy for $15 and we would take the family in it where we need to go. Our farm improved and we accumulated as the year went by. We put a sprinkler system in and filled in all the ditches. We had smooth ground and it cost about $8500, but it was better and it paid off. We had it all paid for before we sold it in 1969 to Kay Peterson and we had enough money to buy a new Ford car’Fairlane’. Emil wrecked on a motorcycle and died. The rest are all married and have families. Loa and me live in our home we built 2 miles East of Loa. In 1959, my wife and I went on a mission to Seaside Oregon. It was a great mission. When we were ready to come home, two of our daughters and families came to Oregon to pick us up. Before we sold the farm, in 1972 we visited Denmark. We flew from Salt Lake to Kobenhawn. Andreas came with us. He had spent 2 years on a mission in Denmark and he knew how to get around. He also knew some of our family over there and we spent 30 days over there. Denmark was beautiful and green and we visited many places. The date now is April 1978. I am 83 years old. I am in good health. {The last three years of their life together, they spent in Mayfield at the Mayfield Manor. Dad died May 8, 1991 at the age of 96. Loa died at her daughters home in Burrville, Utah at the age of 92. }

Life timeline of Hans Ernstsen

Hans Ernstsen was born on 2 Dec 1852
Hans Ernstsen was 16 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
Hans Ernstsen was 25 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Hans Ernstsen was 33 years old when Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies on Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog. Louis Pasteur was a French biologist, microbiologist and chemist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurization. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and prevention of diseases, and his discoveries have saved many lives ever since. He reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and created the first vaccines for rabies and anthrax. His medical discoveries provided direct support for the germ theory of disease and its application in clinical medicine. He is best known to the general public for his invention of the technique of treating milk and wine to stop bacterial contamination, a process now called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of bacteriology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch, and is popularly known as the "father of microbiology".
Hans Ernstsen was 40 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Hans Ernstsen was 56 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Hans Ernstsen was 59 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Hans Ernstsen was 77 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Hans Ernstsen was 87 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Hans Ernstsen died on 3 Apr 1942 at the age of 89
Grave record for Hans Ernstsen (2 Dec 1852 - 3 Apr 1942), BillionGraves Record 3950387 Loa, Wayne, Utah, United States