Harris Olonzo Van Orden

20 Feb 1895 - 17 Jan 1957

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Harris Olonzo Van Orden

20 Feb 1895 - 17 Jan 1957
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Harris Olonzo Van Orden was born to Peter Edmond and Ida Philinda (Merrill) Van Orden, was born in Lewiston, Utah on February 20, 1895. Harris is the maiden name of his Grandmother, and is the name by which he was known all of his life. Ingra Christine Olson was born to Erick and Betty (Peterson) Ol
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Harris Olonzo Van Orden
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Harris Olonzo Van Orden


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Children: Arva, Harris O, Brenda, Dale O, Aileen, Ross O.


April 6, 2012


April 3, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Harris Olonzo...

We found more records about Harris Olonzo Van Orden.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Harris Olonzo


Harris Olonzo Van Orden is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Harris and Ingra Van Orden

Colaborador: Carol23 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Harris Olonzo Van Orden was born to Peter Edmond and Ida Philinda (Merrill) Van Orden, was born in Lewiston, Utah on February 20, 1895. Harris is the maiden name of his Grandmother, and is the name by which he was known all of his life. Ingra Christine Olson was born to Erick and Betty (Peterson) Olson) on May 8, 1893 in Thatcher, Idaho. To this couple the following children were born: Arva Van Orden, born July 22, 1916, Smithfield, Utah Harris Olson Van Orden, born October 6, 1917, Smithfield, Utah Brenda Van Orden, born July 15, 1919, Downey, Idaho Dale Olson Van Orden, born December 26, 1920, Lewiston, Utah Aileen Van Orden, born June 21, 1927, Ruth, Nevada Ross Olson Van Orden, born August 20, 1930, Logan, Utah The Olsons were both born in Sweden and after joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, they immigrated to Utah. Erick was baptized on June 20, 1880 at the age of fifteen. Erick’s father Olof and his family arrived in Richmond, Utah in June 1882. A couple of months later they settled in Smithfield. Erick married Betty Peterson on October 16, 1890. Harris’ family lived in Lewiston, Utah and he was born there. His grandfather was one of the four original settlers of Lewiston. His grand father, Everett Van Orden had crossed the plains as a fourteen year old boy in the Heber C. Kimball Company. It is easy to see, that both Harris and Ingra were raised under the gospel principles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. They would have had similar experiences growing up in a small Mormon area, Cache Valley, at the turn of the century. For both of them, education was emphasized and both ended up with both high school degrees, and also advanced education. Harris tried his hand at working in retail, but found that he would not be able to support his family as he wished. He returned with his family in Lewiston, apparently due to lack of funds, and took a mail order course, training to become a licensed Pharmacist, which he accomplished. After he finished that training, the family moved to Nevada, where they lived in three separate towns; Ely, McGill, and Ruth. Ingra worked as a school teacher prior to her marriage to Harris. This desire for education was passed on to all of their children as well. Harris was a college professor in Chemistry; Ross a pharmacist; Dale graduated from the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland and served as an officer in the U.S. Navy; and Brenda received her B.S. degree in Vocational Home Economics. The family was raised to be frugal and to work hard and not to waste money. Even though the family would have been considered to be “comfortable” in so far as their finances would indicate, once they settled in Smithfield, his daughter Brenda said ”My father never owned a car but our whole family used one owned by Aunts Elva and Pearl.” Of course life was simpler then. Harris lived within comfortable walking distance to his drug store, but he was not to be ostentatious, and spent money only on things he felt to be necessities. The oldest daughter, Arva, apparently was born with some physical disability. The explanation I always heard while I was growing up was that “Arva was never quite right.” I would assume that she had a disability that, given the times was not treatable. She died when she was ten years old. “Arva, was injured at birth, could never walk or talk and died from measles.” This was, I am sure difficult for the family, her brother Harris would have been nine, my mother Brenda seven, and Dale would have been six. Surely they loved Arva and missed her. At the turn of the twentieth century, the medical sciences were so primitive compared to now, but the love of parents was no different, and I am certain that Harris and Ingra provided as comfortable and loving home for Arva as possible. The family returned to their roots when the drug store in Smithfield was sold to Harris. This was great for the family as Ingra’s father Erick Olson lived in Smithfield and the Van Ordens lived just seven or so miles away in Lewiston. The children were able to know their grandparents and many of their cousins. For Harris, it was an opportunity to give back to the community. He served as the President of the Kiwanis Club and was active in the Church. Ingra was also active in the Church and served as Primary President for many years. Work days were long at that time in the United States. “The drug store was open eight a.m. to ten p.m. and Harris worked all that time, except for lunch and suppertime.” It seems almost unbelievable to me that anyone could (or would) do that. I have lived in a time when I worked Monday through Friday, from eight a.m. and five p.m. and have always thought I was a bit put out by that. I have the greatest admiration for this generation of people who prepared a better life for us. My mother always told me that they had a roast beef every Sunday. I assumed that they ate as we do, with lots of options. A review of the history of daughter, Brenda indicates that the people were content with simple things; “We always had bread and milk for supper.” I remember visiting at my grandparent’s house (Harris and Ingra) very well. Our family would drive from Idaho Falls to Smithfield, and when we got there we always were give bread and milk, canned peaches, and cheddar cheese. The house I remember as “Grandpa and Grandma Van Orden’s” still stands, although since Ingra died it is no longer in the family. The house was built by Erick Olson, Ingra’s father and was a pretty nice brick home. I remember in the front stoop were the initials “eo”, and was actually owned by Aunt Pearl (Pearl Olson). Harris and Ingra did not always live in Smithfield. Harris bought a drug store in Beaver, Utah, around 1945 or so. That is where they lived at the end of World War II. Then they eventually moved to Park City, Utah where Harris again ran a drug store. I remember visiting there in about 1956. They lived above the drug store and it stood just about where the ski lift (the first one installed) is located in Park City today. Of course when the Van Ordens lived in Park City, it was a deserted mining town, and there were very few people there. Harris Olonzo Van Orden died on January 17, 1957. He died in his bed, probably of an aneurism. This left Ingra alone. She lived the next several years in two places. She would live with her sister, Pearl, who never married, during the summers in the house in Smithfield. Pearl was a school teacher in Clearfield, and during the school year, Ingra would live with her youngest daughter Aileen Arnell. There are great memories for me in Smithfield. Our family went there every Memorial Day while I was growing up. This was a grand Van Orden family reunion, and there were always a lot of cousins there. It was such a delightful time, I loved it. I have the fondest memories of that time in my life. Ingra was a loving Grandmother. She was always kind and welcoming to us when we visited her. I remember that as she aged, it was hard for her to take care of herself. Her family supported and assisted her, so that her last years were as comfortable as possible. Ingra died on July 29, 1983. She was living in an assisted care facility in West Salt Lake City, Utah.

Life timeline of Harris Olonzo Van Orden

Harris Olonzo Van Orden was born on 20 Feb 1895
Harris Olonzo Van Orden was 9 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Harris Olonzo Van Orden was 17 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Harris Olonzo Van Orden was 35 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Harris Olonzo Van Orden was 45 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Harris Olonzo Van Orden was 50 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
Harris Olonzo Van Orden died on 17 Jan 1957 at the age of 61
Grave record for Harris Olonzo Van Orden (20 Feb 1895 - 17 Jan 1957), BillionGraves Record 894001 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States