Isabella Avery Hunter

22 Nov 1830 - 4 Jan 1888

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Isabella Avery Hunter

22 Nov 1830 - 4 Jan 1888
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Isabella Avery Hunter (22 Nov 1830 - 4 Jan 1888) at Smithfield City Cemetery in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Isabella Avery Hunter
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Isabella Avery Hunter


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States

Jane Little

April 13, 2012


April 2, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Isabella Avery...

We found more records about Isabella Avery Hunter.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Isabella Avery


Isabella Avery Hunter is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Saved by Providence

Colaborador: Jane Little Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

The elders of the Church often speak of the care shown by the Lord in preserving his Saints from harm. He has delivered them miraculously from accidents and death many times. I will tell of a case which God exercised his power in behalf of a company of his people. The children who read the Instructor perhaps all know that hundreds and thousands of Saints gather to this country, from far-off nations, every year. Many shiploads of them have crossed the Atlantic Ocean - a voyage of nearly 3,000 miles. On the sea, many accidents occur whereby people lose their lives by drowning, through the sinking of ships in storms. But nothing of this kind has ever taken place with a shipload of Saints. The reason for this is, that God has promised to protect his elect who should gather from the four quarters of the earth in these latter days. In the year 1866, Elder Brigham Young Jr., who was then president of what is called the European Mission of the Church, appointed the writer of this article to take charge of a company of about five hundred Saints from Great Britain to the banks of the Missouri River, in this country, on their way to Salt Lake City. The Saints did not cross the sea in fast sailing steamships in those days. They traveled over the waters in slow-going sailing ships, depending for speed on favorable winds. At that time six weeks was considered the average length of time for a voyage from England to New York. We left port the port of London on the 23rd of May, 1866, a very fine company of people, not a few of whom, I am pleased to say, are good, honorable members of the Church, in Utah today. I have in my mind especially now some of the boys who were with us. I have seen them grow up to manhood, and they are still faithful. When the American Congress on which we sailed, was near the shores of Newfoundland a thick fog prevailed for several days, which prevented Captain Woodward from taking an observation, being unable to see the sun. He therefore could not tell exactly where we were. About this time the captain and Brother John Rider, who now lives in Kanab, and who was one of my counselors in the presidency of the company, were conversing on the part of the ship called the quarter deck. I was standing some distance away from them. Brother Rider happened to turn his face in the direction in which the ship was sailing. At that moment the fog lifted up from the surface of the sea, as if a veil or scroll had been raised. He saw clearly between the fog and the water for some distance ahead. Suddenly he exclaimed, pointing forward, "Captain, what is that?" Captain Woodward, who was tall, powerful and active, made no answer. It was no time for orders. He sprang to the wheelhouse with the agility of a tiger, and knocked the man at the helm "heels over head," sending him sprawling upon the deck. At the same instant he grasped the wheel, turning it with the most surprising rapidity. Although his movements were so quick, he did not lose his presence of mind a moment. He was busy with his voice as well as his hands, for awhile he acted as I have described, he shouted, in clear, loud, piercing tones, the several orders directing all hands to "bout ship." The sailors sprang to their posts. They were active limbs and busy hands among the rigging. The good ship American Congress swayed slowly around, and the moment of peril was past. Had this action been delayed a few moments the vessel would have been among the breakers, upon the rock, dashed in pieces and probably not a soul of the nearly five hundred on board would have escaped a watery grave. The rocks and breakers ahead, on the line of the vessels course, were what Brother Rider saw when the fog lifted. The captain asked us, as a special favor, not to say a word to the people about the danger with which the ship had been threatened. He being the commander of the vessel, we considered it right to respect his desire; besides, we thought his suggestion wise, as a knowledge of what had occurred would doubtless have caused an uneasy feeling among the passengers. The company were, therefore, not aware of the great danger they had escaped. Elder Rider and myself thanked God for his goodness in so manifestly exercising his power in behalf of his Saints. The Lord fulfilled the promises made to us by his servants at the time we left England for the land of Zion. Nicholson, John, "Saved by Providence," in Juvenile Instructor (15 January 1881) p.19.

A Compilation of Notes of the Voyage of the American Congress -1866

Colaborador: Jane Little Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

A Compilation of General Voyage Notes of the American Congress - 1866 "GOD'S PROVIDENCES. -- Through the blessing of our Father in Heaven, we are enabled to chronicle the sailing of the ship American Congress, with 294 adults on board. She cleared from the London Docks, on the 23rd of May. Late in the afternoon the vessel moved from her berth into the Shadwell Basin, when a meeting was held on board, and the usual organization effected, Elder John Nicholson being appointed president, Elders Joshua K. Whitney and John Rider, his counsellors. Early on the morning of the 24th, the vessel was taken in tow by a steam-tug, and moved down the river to Gravesend. Elder N. H. Felt and several others of the brethren remained on board untill reaching this point, and assisted in organizing the people into wards, appointing the most efficient men to take charge concerning the preservation of good order and cleanliness. The American Congress is the third ship which has left these shores this season, bearing the Saints of the Most High -- flying like a cloud towards the promised land. The Almighty has blessed his Saints and servants thus far, during the business of the emigration, beyond their most sanguine expectations, for he has controlled the winds and the waves, and made them subservient to his purposes. . . ." "Wed. 23. [May 1866] -- The ship American Congress (third ship of the season from Europe) sailed from London, England, with 350 Saints, under the direction of John Nicholson; it arrived at New York July 4th, and the emigrants reached Wyoming July 14th" MS, 31:22 (June 2 1866), p.345 CC, p.75 (source abbreviations)

Letter from John Nicholson

Colaborador: Jane Little Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Letter from John Nicholson July 4, 1866 Ship American Congress July 4, 1866. To President Brigham Young, Junior. Dear Brother, --You will doubtless be glad to learn that the ship American Congress took a very prominent part in the celebration of the great day of National Independence of America, by bringing her precious freight in safety to the harbor of New York. In our last communication (from the Isle of Wight), we stated that our united faith was, that we would be much blessed of the Lord in journeying across the trackless deep, and it has been so. You promised us before starting, that if we would act in righteousness, the elders would have power to rebuke disease from the Saints. How truly has this promise been realized, for the power of God has been manifested among us, and numbers can testify to their being instantaneously blessed through our ministrations. Taking into consideration the number who were in a delicate state of health when they came on board, and the great number of children in the company, the general health of the people has been as good as could be expected. Thanks be to God, no disease of a contagious nature has made its appearance among us during the voyage, and we have crossed the Atlantic without losing one of our number by the "chill hand of death." We found our organization worked admirably, great praise being due to the presidents of the various wards, and the captains of guard, Brothers Samuel Roberts and Robert Snedon, for the creditable manner in which they performed their duties. Elder Cunningham, also, has labored assiduously as steward of the company. We had four concerts on board, three of which, the weather being suitable, were held on the upper deck, when songs, recitations, &c., of an excellent description, were given. The amount of musical and rhetorical talent displayed by the general company was surprising. These times of social enjoyment were not only appreciated by the Saints on board, but Captain Woodward, his wife, and the saloon passengers, were equally interested and delighted. In regard to Captain Woodward, we cannot speak too highly of his kind and gentlemanly conduct towards us; his willingness to make the voyage comfortable and agreeable, was truly refreshing to witness. We might sum it all up by saying, that were we necessitated to cross the ocean again, and should have the choice of a captain, Captain Woodward would be our choice. We enclose you a copy of a testimonial to him, which we propose publishing in the New York Herald. In assembling to worship God, we have experienced many happy times; the spirit of the Lord has been poured out upon us, causing our hearts to be filled with peace, and to be lifted up to him with thanksgiving. When the weather was sufficiently fine, the meetings were held on the upper deck. To us there was something truly grand, and calculated to fill the soul with peculiar, yet exquisite sensation, to witness the upturned, pleasant countenances of the Saints, as their voices were raised in tuneful harmonious praise to the great Author of our being, with the heaven's broad canopy over head, and the expanse of deep blue water stretching out to the horizon all around. We will probably leave here for the frontiers tomorrow evening. Praying God to bless and prosper you, we remain your brethren in the gospel, John Nicholson, President, J.K. Whitney, John Rider, counselors, Joseph Andrews, clerk. The following is the testimonial referred to in the foregoing letter;-- Ship American Congress, June 29, 1866. Captain Woodward. Dear Sir, --Having nearly reached the termination of our voyage across the Atlantic, and feeling unwilling to part with you without in some way expressing our grateful acknowledgment to yourself, for the solicitude you have manifested for our comfort, happiness, and well-being, during the entire voyage, and for your kind and gentlemanly conduct toward all. We therefore take the liberty of returning you our sincere and heartfelt thanks; and we can assure you, that when in the future, in our reflections, the mind dwells upon the pleasant times we have spent on board the good ship American Congress, you yourself will ever be remembered by us with feelings of gratitude and esteem. Whilst thanking yourself, we would not be unmindful of Messieurs Platford and Finessee, first and second officers, also the steward of the ship, for their kind and courteous behavior towards us as a company. We therefore take this opportunity of also thanking them through you. With most fervent wishes for the future welfare, happiness, and prosperity of yourself and all belonging to you, we remain, with feelings of the most profound respect, John Nicholson, president, J.K. Whitney, John Rider, counselors, Joseph Andrews, clerk.(Signed on behalf of the entire company). . . .[p.494] Nicholson, John et. al., [Letter] Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star 28:31 (August 4, 1866) pp. 493-94. (CHL)

First Letter from John Nicholson

Colaborador: Jane Little Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

First Letter from John Nicholson - May 26, 1866 Ship American Congress, May 26, 1866. President B.[Brigham] Young, Junior. Dear Brother, - By the kindness of the pilot, we are enabled to send you a few lines to inform you of our proceedings since you left us on Wednesday the 23rd instant. On the evening of the same day we held meeting, at which suitable instructions were given by Elders N. H. Felt and J. [John] Nicholson. On the 24th, we were only able to reach Gravesend, during which time we organized the ship company into seven wards, and placed a president over each as follows: - 1st, G. E. [p.365] Grove; 2nd, W. [William] Smith; 3rd, W. [William] B. Childs [Child]; 4th, A. [Adam] McGill; 5th, J. [John] Grier; 6th, G. Campbell, and 7th, W. Pinney. On the 25th, we were prevented from proceeding further than Sheerness, on account of a strong head wind. The wind being more favorable, we again resumed our journey at 4 a.m. this morning, and are now, 4 p.m., under full sail. Two-thirds of the people are seasick; but we are happy to inform you that, with this exception, a more joyous, happy, and united band of Saints, it has never been our experience to associate with. All are willing to receive the instructions and counsels of those placed over them, the best of feeling prevails on board, every one appears satisfied, and discontent is unknown in our happy company. Thus far we have realized the promises made to us by yourself. You probably remember that several were very unwell when they came on board, among whom was Brother John Smith, who was obliged to be conveyed in a cab, also Sister Wakefield, whom, we are happy to say, have wonderfully improved. Continuing in the course we have pursued up to the present, our united faith is, that every blessing you promised will be enjoyed by us, that our Heavenly Father will bless us, heaven will smile upon us, that we shall enjoy much of the Spirit of God, and be favored with a prosperous journey. We ourselves are at present quite free from seasickness. The captain and officers are very kind and obliging, and seem very willing to do all they can for the comfort and well-being of the people.

With love to yourself and the brethren in the office, and fervent desire for your happiness, we remain, dear brother, yours in the gospel,

John Nicholson, president, J.K. Whitney, John Rider, counselors, Joseph Andrews, clerk. P.S.--Sunday, 27th, 1 p.m.--The pilot not having yet left, we hasten to inform you that, the weather being fine, at 10 a.m. we all assembled together on the upper deck, and enjoyed a most excellent meeting, the Spirit of the Lord being copiously poured out upon us. The countenances of all present seemed to beam with joy and gladness. Addresses were delivered by Elders [John] Nicholson and [John] Rider, which were listened to, with apparent interest and attention, by the captain and saloon passengers, as well as by the Saints. We propose holding another meeting at 2 o'clock. We are happy to inform you that we have already been commended for our cleanliness and good order by the captain. Peace and union prevail. We all feel well, with the exception of those who are seasick, and anticipate some glorious times together. [p.366] Nicholson, John, et. al., [Letter] Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star 28:23 (June 9, 1866) pp. 365-66. (CHL)

Life timeline of Isabella Avery Hunter

Isabella Avery Hunter was born on 22 Nov 1830
Isabella Avery Hunter was 10 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Isabella Avery Hunter was 29 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Isabella Avery Hunter was 39 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
Isabella Avery Hunter was 47 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Isabella Avery Hunter died on 4 Jan 1888 at the age of 57
Grave record for Isabella Avery Hunter (22 Nov 1830 - 4 Jan 1888), BillionGraves Record 913658 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States