Jacob Crandall

1831 - 1910

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Jacob Crandall

1831 - 1910
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

by Susan Burgess Crandall secretary of Relief Society of Second District Payson Ward, Utah, Count Utah February 3, 1881 I am the daughter of Horace and Almira Burgess. I was born Oct. 5, 1846 at Winter Quarters then Indian Territory (now Nebraska). My mother came with the children to Utah in 1846. M
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Jacob Crandall
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Jacob Crandall


Logan City Cemetery

Tenth East
Logan, Cache, Utah
United States


May 24, 2013


May 16, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Jacob...

We found more records about Jacob Crandall.

Grave Site of Jacob


Jacob Crandall is buried in the Logan City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Susan Burgess Crandall

Colaborador: BonnieB Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

by Susan Burgess Crandall secretary of Relief Society of Second District Payson Ward, Utah, Count Utah February 3, 1881 I am the daughter of Horace and Almira Burgess. I was born Oct. 5, 1846 at Winter Quarters then Indian Territory (now Nebraska). My mother came with the children to Utah in 1846. My father expected to come the next year but died with the cholera in the state of Iowa June 17, 1849. I was baptized when eight years old. I have two brothers (vis) Hyrum and George. In the year 1856 there was a famine in Utah caused by the crickets. During the scarcity food was very scarce. I didn’t taste bread for near three weeks at one time. I seen my mother divide the last teacup of flour with a sick woman and the Saints all with few exceptions divided to the last. They enjoyed the Spirit of God. In 1856-7 the authorities called for all the Saints in Utah to have a reformation and be rebaptized. I was then rebaptized. In 1857 a crusade was sent against the church under the command of one General Johnson by order of the U.S. Government. But they were not permitted by the saints to come in the Valley until the spring of 1858 by treaty that they should quarter no less than forty miles from Salt Lake City. And during their march through Salt Lake City and valley the women and children was moved south until fall when they returned to their homes. I was married Jan 6, 1860 to Jacob Crandall in G.S.L. City. June 2, 1860 me with my husband received our patriarchal blessings under the hand of Samuel Alger patriarch. April 27, 1862 our first child a son was born. I called his name Jacob after his father. That fall we were called to the Southern Mission and in 1865 came back to G.S.L. City. Feb 2, 1867 we had another son born. I called his name Edward the next Sept. he took the whooping cough died Oct 10, 1867 which made me feel very lonely. My mother died in S.L. City March 8, 1868. She was fifty one years and six months old. She died in full faith of the Gospel bearing a faithful testimony and exhorting her children to be faithful to this kingdom to the end. We mourn her loss for she was a kind mother. April 18, 1868 myself and husband had our sealings and anointings at the Endowment House Salt Lake City. Our next child was a girl and was born Jan 6, 1869. We called her name Susan after myself. Salt Lake City June 2, 1870 myself and husband and two of our children Jacob and Susan received our patriarchal blessings under the hand of John Smith patriarch of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We moved to Payson, Utah County, Utah in 1871 and April 27, 1872 we had another girl born. We called her name Sarah after my husband’s mother. June 29, 1874 we had a son born. He died in birth. I called his name Horace Burgess after my father. June 20, 1875 we had another daughter born. I called her name Almira after my mother. In 1875 the Saints were all requested to renew their covenants by baptism. We were rebaptized. July 26, 1877 we had another son born I called his name Thomas after my husband’s father. In 1878 the Relief Society of Payson was organized in four Districts. My home is in the second District, (Payson Ward). I was ordained and set apart under the hands of Bishop Joseph S. Tanner and council to the office of secretary of Second District (Relief Society.) which I have filled to the best of my ability. I am now in my thirty fifth year and I never seen the moment that I doubted the truth of this Gospel and I wish to bear this testimony to my posterity that I do know that this is the kingdom of God and that Brigham Young was also a prophet of the Lord in his day and that John Taylor is a prophet also, and I earnestly entreat my posterity who may read this to be true to their covenants as long as they live that they may secure unto themselves Eternal Lives and Exaltation. I may be sleeping in the dust when they read this, if so, remember the testimony of your mother and take her council that you may meet her in Eternity, where there is no more parting, where we may dwell through countless eternities in each other company is my earnest prayer in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Written by Susan Crandall for her children (vis.) Jacob, Susan, Sarah, Almira, and Thomas Crandall

The Biography of Clyde B. Crandall, Chapter One

Colaborador: BonnieB Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Life History of Clyde B. Crandall written and compiled by Alice Fern Ravenscraft Crandall (his wife) Chapter One When the twentieth century was just over one year old; when women wore long dresses and “mutton leg” sleeves, and men wore tight-legged pants, a baby boy named Clyde B. Crandall was born on a cold winter day. January 29, 1901, in a small town called Payson in Utah County, Utah. He was the son of Thomas Crandall and Ethel Adele Page Crandall. At the time he was born Ethel and Tom were living at Clear Creek mining camp close to their first home in Schofield, Utah. Ethel went to stay with her sister Libby Peery for the baby’s birth. This home is now occupied by Sidney Correy who married Libby’s daughter Hazel. Hazel remembered of Clyde’s birth. She was just a small girl. This home is south of Main street in Payson, Utah. Both Tom and Ethel’s parents were early day pioneers of Payson, Utah. Ethel Adele Page was born in Payson March 7, 1879. The history of her ancestors forms a colorful page of history. Her mother Mary Leaver was born in Brooklyn, New York August 26, 1837. After hearing Parley P. Pratt preach her folks joined the Latter-Day Saint Church in March 1844. Parley P. Pratt states in his autobiography that 40 persons were baptized by him in April 1844. Mary wasn’t yet eight but she was also baptized at that time. Her parents gathered with the Saints to Nauvoo in the year 1844 where they remained through the persecutions until 1846. Her parents and children, with the [other] Saints left Nauvoo the night before the triumphant entry of the mob into Nauvoo under the leadership of the famous mobocrat Tom Bogard. On the Iowa side of the Mississippi river, they laid in their tents for weeks. The whole camp was sick and in a heart rending condition. This was graphically described by Thomas Kane who witnessed their distress. Here they, with the rest of the starving saints, were fed by quail which flocked into their camp and into their very tents. In the history of the church this circumstance is spoken of as “the Lord feeding his people in the wilderness.” They settled for a while in Winter Quarters and then wintered in Kanesville, Iowa, where they joined Captain James Jepson’s company to cross the plains. They arrived in Salt Lake City September 10. 1852. Mary was fifteen years and one month old when they arrived. She had driven one of the ox teams across the Plains. The father of Ethel Adele Page Crandall was Jonathan Socwell Page, who started across the plains in a group but the group went on and he and a friend walked the last three hundred miles into Salt Lake. They had neither coat, nor blanket, nor food. They depended on passing emigrants and Indians to feed them. He was only eighteen years old when he reached Salt Lake. He had already fought Indians and endured cold and hunger. He helped found industry in Payson. He was a leader in church and city affairs. He was in the Utah Legislature in 1882. He was a Captain of Calvary in the Black Hawk War of 1865. He was among the men who took a stand against Johnson’s Army in 1857. He went through all these things without a wound, although he was shot at many times. He ran a co-op store for years, later going into merchandising for himself in Payson. While working for Samuel Mulliner in his tannery in Payson, Utah Jonathan met Mary Leaver. They were married August 12, 1855. He and Mary were the parents of thirteen children, of whom Clyde’s mother Ethel was the twelfth. Except for a short while in Santaquin, Utah, they made their home in Payson, Utah their entire lives. Mary died March 1896 and Jonathan remained a widower for twenty six years until he died. He died aged ninety one on October 19, 1924. According to these dates given in their own histories, Jonathan would have lived a widower twenty eight years. At the time he died he was Stake Patriarch. During the time Ethel Adele Page Crandall lived at home, her father had his own mercantile business, Ethel was a well-dressed young lady. When a salesman came to her father’s store, she and Cora the youngest, were allowed to select their own clothes. They had first choice of coats, dresses, shoes, underwear or whatever they needed and wanted. It was this well-dressed young lady who was walking down the street one day when she met a young man named Tom Crandall, who was chasing a cow. Streets in that day were nothing but paths. When Ethel met up with the cow she tried to dodge around it but Tom kept urging the cow to get in her way. That is how Ethel Adele met her future husband for the first time. Tom was a dapper young man without a care in the world, which characteristic he maintained to a certain degree throughout his life. Tom was an extrovert. Those who knew him liked him. I doubt he ever had an enemy. To meet up with and visit with Tom was to leave feeling a little happier. Tom and Ethel were married April 6, 1899. Thomas and Ethel Adele Page Crandall were the parents of five sons. Two died as infants (1) Thomas Lynn was born and died at their first home in Schofield, Utah. (2) Clyde “B” was born in Payson, Utah County, Utah January 29, 1901. (3) Burgess T the third child was born in Logan, Utah. (4) Max E was the fourth child. He died as an infant. (5) Vernon was born sixteen years later in their middle age, at Rupert, Minidoka County, Idaho. The earliest known ancestor on the Crandall side was John who we think came from Rhode Island. His wife Magdalene Woods was living with Patrick Crandall in Gallen’s Grove, Iowa. She was aged eighty eight, but there is no mention of John. They were members of the reorganized Latter-Day Saints Church. They were either members of that church and their son Thomas Crandall who married Sarah Hancock (and is Clyde’s great grandfather) joined the Latter-Day Saints and emigrated west or the family was originally Latter-day Saints and some apostatized and joined the Reorganized church with Thomas and Sarah remaining with the church and coming west with the saints. Church history says that Thomas Crandall and Sarah Hancock were baptized in 1830 and sealed in the endowment House in 1868. The baptized date is wrong as he wasn’t born until 1830. If the census record of 1850 is correct when Magdalene Woods Crandall was eighty eight years old then Magdalene was fifty eight years old in 1830 when Thomas and Sarah were baptized. Was she baptized at that time also? And where was her husband John? There are some discrepancies in these dates. Thomas Crandall who married Sarah Hancock was born July 23, 1831 (note above discrepancy) at Chagrin, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Among their children was Jacob Crandall, Clyde’s grandfather. He married Susan Burgess, daughter of Horace and Almira Pulsipher Burgess January 6, 1860 in Salt Lake City. After having nine children they were divorced. The children were never reconciled to that divorce. Not much is known of Clyde’s grandfather Jacob Crandall. That he was a talented man is known. He was a poet, but only two poems were kept and handed down in the family. [One] is recorded below: Lines on Almira Pettit’s Death Dear mother, thou has passed away And paid the debt which nature claims Thy spirit’s gone to endless day The Earth’s received they cold remains T’was hard to part with one so dear From our home so lonely now For thee we shed the bitter tear But to God’s will we humbly bow We feel thou are happy in the change Thy spirits numbered with the blest We know our loss is Heaven’s gain We feel we know thou art at rest. Among their children was Thomas, born July 26, 1877 at Payson, Utah, who married Ethel Adele Page. Ethel had taught school two years before they were married. Tom was a barber by profession. Before Clyde was born Tom and Ethel came to live with Ethel’s oldest sister Libby Peery. They stayed there until Clyde was a month old and they moved to Albion, Idaho. Albion was a small village about twenty miles south of Rupert, Idaho. It is nestled in a valley in the mountains. Tom was doing barber work at the time. They lived in Albion at the time there was so much excitement over Diamond Field Jack. He had been caught and was in jail in Albion awaiting execution. Tom was called in to give him his last shave and haircut-before he was to be hung. The scaffold was made but at the last minute a rider came rushing in bearing a reprieve from the governor. Within a few months the Crandall family moved to Shosone, Idaho where Tom barbered part time and farmed part time. He also did some house painting which he was skilled at. While Clyde was still very young, they moved to Logan, Utah. There Tom farmed and barbered part time. At one time Tom had a customer who used to come in for a shave and haircut. Tom never would take any money, so one day the man said, “Bring the boys out to my strawberry patch for a big fill up.” One day Tom decided to take him up on the proposition. He loaded the two boys, Burgess and Clyde, into the buggy and went out to the strawberry patch. The farmer gave the boys two small strawberries each. In due time the farmer came back for another shave and a haircut. Needless to say Tom charged him the full price of fifty cents. That was the last they ever saw of that farmer. They were just beginning to get cars in Logan when Clyde’s folks moved there but they never got to ride in one. Clyde said his first ride was with a Mr. Overly, a car dealer in Rupert, who used to take the town kids for a ride. Clyde was old enough when they lived in Logan to remember a few things. He used to see the older boys go by herding their cows. They always hooked a ride on the cows instead of walking. They rode them sideways. Tom made the boys a sled with steel runners which they hitched on behind their buggy. A topless buggy pulled by one horse was the family mode of transportation. The boys had many a sleigh ride hooked on to the back of this buggy. For his birthday Clyde always got a quarter to spend in any way he wanted. He said he always brought one banana for five cents; one orange for five cents and with the rest he always bought cologne. He thought it smelled so good. They often were given five cents to spend when the ice cream cart went by. No matter where the family lived, Tom always took the boys to the circus when it came to town. They would go at daylight and stay until the circus folded up its tent and left. They took a lunch because there were no hot dog and hamburger stands in those days. They could buy pink lemonade, crackerjack and circus candy, which was a few wrapped candies in a big box making it look like a lot. They had to get there before daylight to see the circus unload and set up. They would get to see the animals moved around and fed. Circuses were all day affairs. They had a big parade through town before the matinee started. They would go up and down the streets with the calliope, animals, clowns, and such other of the circus that they thought would attract people to want to go and see it. It ended with a big matinee in the afternoon and a bigger show in the evening. Clyde, Burgess and his dad would stay until the tents were taken down at night, when the animal cages were covered and loaded onto trucks preparatory for their journey to the next town. This was an exciting and tiring day for the boys. Clyde said their mother went along sometimes, too. Sam and Lucy Page lived in Preston, Idaho. Sam was Ethel’s brother and a house painter. He told Tom that if he would come to Preston they would go in the painting business together. Clyde was about six years old when they moved into Sam and Lucy’s home. They had a loft in this home where the kids all liked to play. Clyde says he fell through the hole clutching a butcher knife in his hand. He says he could have cut his head off but didn’t. It’s not surprising as many kids get killed as do, but it is surprising as many live to grow up as do. The next move the Crandall family made was to Lewiston, Utah, a few miles from Preston, Idaho, upon the Utah-Idaho border. Clyde was about eight years old at the time. Tom worked at the sugar factory. They rented a home there and at the age of nine Clyde entered the first grade. Up to then his mother had taught him some at home. They moved too often up to that time to ever get him in school. The first day he went to school the teacher divided the class into the “A” and “B” groups. “A” was the highest and “B” the slower students. She put Clyde in the “A” group but he thought she had made a sad mistake because he knew B comes after A, therefore it is the highest, so he gathered up his school books and moved himself over into the “B” group. As he looks back on that first day of school, he says he was one confused kid. His mother had given him a lunch and told him when they were let out at noon he was supposed to eat it. When morning recess came, he thought it was noon, so he got his lunch out and ate it, then he had none when noon came. Clyde was a real blonde. All his life his hair was silvery white. In old age when he turned gray you couldn’t tell the gray from the original hair. His skin was white to match it. He had not been in school very long before he was nicknamed “Snowball.” That is what his schoolmates called him. Little boys wore knee pants called knickerbockers and long dark stockings and sturdy ankle high shoes. One of Clyde’s first dress up outfits consisted of a white sailor suit. It was short tight pants and a middy blouse- a middy blouse was a shirt top that laced down about six inches or so in the front and laced with a white shoe lace or fancy wider lace that tied under the chin in a fancy bow and had a large square collar that hung down about six inches in the back. The collar and other parts of the blouse were edged with white, blue or red succotash braid. The pants came just about the knee. Men wore long tight pants but when I met Clyde it was again the custom to wear short pants. World War Two brought that style about. Army pants consisted of pants that bloomed out on the sides and were tight just below the knees. Material was wrapped around the leg from the pants down to the ankle-high shoes worn by army men. Civilians wore much the same style except the puttees instead of being material that wrapped around the leg were solid leather or the men wore high topped boots. My first recollection of Clyde’s Post office clothes were pants that ballooned out on the sides and were tight under the knee and he was wearing high topped leather boots. So styles had gone back similar to when he was a boy. When I first met Clyde he was carrying a city route. I was going to high school at the time. I and my friend Zelda Goff would walk downtown at noon just as Clyde was delivering his mail to merchants around the square. I somehow always contrived to run into him somewhere around our city square. He says he was looking for me too. Clyde was a clean, well dressed person. When he was in high school he used to top beets and pick up potatoes in the fall. From his earnings he always bought a new suit and a pair of patent leather oxfords for Sunday. Dress suits were much the same as now with long pants, vest, and coat, only the pants were tight legged especially below the knees. Clyde said, “I was always considered a good dresser.” And he was. When the family lived in Lewiston stores on wheels used to come by periodically. It was the days before cars came into being. Transportation was much slower so peddlers did a good business. They drove a covered wagon and carried pots, pans, needles, thread, sundries and other goods a housewife might need, together with a few trinkets to attract the kids. The peddler that used to come by the Crandalls’ drove along whistling “The Old Oaken Bucket.” He’d shout and tell the kids to go get their mothers. Clyde’s mother would turn in eggs to buy a few small things. The rate of exchange on eggs was about three cents an egg. She used to give the boys two or three eggs each to spend. Clyde said this peddler carried real pretty marbles which was an attraction for him. The family moved to Rupert, Minidoka County, Idaho in 1911. Their first home was a two room shack across from where Lincoln School now stands. They came in style, coming by train instead of team and wagon. Tom’s mother Susan Burgess and two of his sisters, Hortense Wignall and Almira Jensen, had already bought property in or near Rupert and that attracted him. Clyde’s mother felt bad. She said, “We are going so far away I’ll never get to see my folks again”- and it was many years before she did. It wasn’t that she couldn’t have gone, but they were always so poor she felt like she couldn’t face her folks who were quite well to do. They had not wanted her to marry Tom since, although a church member, he had habits that kept him away from church and out of the temple were Ethel would have like to have gone. In 1911 the town site consisted of a few places of business that were being built around a town square. Water was obtained from a pump put up so people could get water for themselves and stock. Before that time people had to haul water from the Snake River. Eventually there was a pump at every house. When Clyde and I got our first home there was a pump and sink in our house. It was thought of as very modern. Mostly pumps were out in the yard since they had to serve animals as well as man. The Lincoln School was being built in 1911. Clyde entered the second grade at age 11. Just part of Lincoln was built so he went part time in the second, third and fourth grades at a nearby church. He skipped some grades and by the time he was a little older had had caught up with his peer group. In 1911 Minidoka County Idaho was covered with sagebrush, with the exception of the villages of Rupert, Heyburn, Acequia, Minidoka and a small settlement that was across the Snake River in the Jackson area. Tom used to take Clyde and Burgess out to grub sagebrush which was what they used for fuel in their wood burning heater and cook stove. Clyde remember some of the industry situated around the town square. There were several pool halls, a livery stable, a mercantile store, and there were others. There were hitching posts all the way around the square. Car stalls soon began to compete with hitching posts all the way around the square, and of course, eventually it became all car parking, with the hitching posts relegated to behind stores and off square parking. Now, of course, they are a thing of the past. Clyde had a friend they called “Peanuts”. His dad had a peanut and popcorn stand or machine. This friend used to give treats to Clyde and the other kids so they called him “Peanuts.” When Clyde was about ten years old he bought a little box camera. It had instructions on how to take and develop your own pictures. He began to take pictures of the neighbor children. He developed them and sold them back to the parents. When the Crandalls first came to Rupert there was no Latter-day church house to meet in. For a time they met in the Methodist Church where the late Henry Catmull was the Presiding Elder, as well as the song leader. Later they went to church in Herman Johnson’s home one mile north of Rupert. Clyde’s class met in one of the bedrooms and the entire class could sit along one side of the bed. May Jones was his Sunday school teacher. Later they met in town in the Henry Catmull home. The first LDS church was built where the present tabernacle stands across from the Court house. It was called the Rupert Ward and served Rupert and all surrounding communities. When the ward was divided the members were disappointed because they called the new church the Rupert First Ward and the original ward was called the Rupert Second Ward. They felt that the original ward should be called the First Ward. The years 1913-1914 were the years Clyde was a deacon in the Rupert First Ward. Much of the time he was President of his quorum. Some of the duties of the Deacons at that time were to sweep and keep the church house clean, and build a fire in the big pot-bellied stove for the meetings. They had to bring the coal up in a coal scuttles to make and keep the fires going. The stove set in the middle of the floor and classes met all around the stove. Those nearer the stove were too hot. Those on the outside were too cold. It was never just right. Usually it fell to Clyde to do most of the work. Those assigned often failed to show up. Since they didn’t hire janitors in those days this made quite a responsibility for the Deacons. Among those in Clyde’s Quorum were Clyde, Reed Catmull, William Arley Cole, Oswald Fackrell and Marchant Newman. Clyde Crandall graduated from the Rupert eight grade January 21, 1916. He was the only Latter-Day Saint in the class. His certificate was signed by W.W. Thompson, superintendent. His teachers were listed as Rose C. Spevacek, Iva Roberts and Florense S. Yerger. He remembers Mrs. Goodman, another teacher as being a large pleasant woman. Games they used to play were Eenie-I-Over, Marbles and Hopscotch. I sometimes wonder why they don’t play Eenie-I-Over anymore and I’ve concluded houses are too big to get a ball over the top. The game was played by one person standing on each side of the house and one tossed the ball over the house and if the other caught it he scored a point, then he tossed it back. Clyde said he always had a good big bag of marbles he won in playing marbles. Hopscotch was played like they do now. Another game they played: each player had a stick about as big around as a broom handle. They tapered each end then laid it flat on the ground and the would hit the tapered end with a club, as it flew up in the air they would try to get another blow landed on it in mid-air. The object was to get the stick over a line. Ward reunion were all day affairs. People met and visited with their friends. They had good programs, danced and had a picnic dinner.

Life timeline of Jacob Crandall

Jacob Crandall was born in 1831
Jacob Crandall was 9 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Jacob Crandall was 28 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Jacob Crandall was 30 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
Jacob Crandall was 48 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Jacob Crandall was 57 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
Jacob Crandall was 60 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Jacob Crandall was 74 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Jacob Crandall died in 1910 at the age of 79
Grave record for Jacob Crandall (1831 - 1910), BillionGraves Record 3976148 Logan, Cache, Utah, United States