James Lee Mercer

1892 - 1972

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

James Lee Mercer

1892 - 1972
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Jared Alma Mercer was born 15 February, 1882 at American Fork, Utah, the eldest child of Sarah Shelley and Ammon Mercer. He received his early education in American Fork. His father, Ammon Mercer, came to Canada in 1897. His mother and five younger children came to Lethbridge, North West Territories
Register to get full access to the grave site record of James Lee Mercer
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

James Lee Mercer


Barnwell Cemetery

Township Road 95
Taber, Division No. 2, Alberta


In loving memory


October 24, 2014


October 7, 2014

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about James Lee...

We found more records about James Lee Mercer.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of James Lee


James Lee Mercer is buried in the Barnwell Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Robert Mercer Obituary

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Robert Lee Mercer, a man of faith, integrity and commitment, passed peacefully away on May 17, 2017. His beloved wife of 64 years was there by his side. Bob entered the world on July 8, 1926 in Spring Coulee, Alberta, Canada, the first son of James Lee and Catherine Ela Mercer. Bob grew up in the small town of Barnwell, Alberta along with two sisters: Irene and Betty Jo, and two brothers: Jim and Larry. Bob enjoyed being an integral part of the small Barnwell community. He grew up playing in his dad's band, and playing baseball, and basketball. His basketball team won the provincial tournament one year and he remained close friends with his "Thundering Herd" of teammates throughout his life. Bob majored in mathematics and physics at Brigham Young University where he met and fell in love with Beverley Knowlton. While at BYU he won an Intermountain boxing title. After graduating from BYU in 1949, Bob served a thirty-month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in France and Belgium. While serving in Paris, France, Bob served as a Branch President. Missionary service remained a hallmark of his life. After returning from his mission and a little more courting, Bob married Beverley, the love of his life, in the Cardston, Alberta temple on September 2, 1953. Later in life, Bob would often ask his children: "Do you know how much I love your mother?" There was never any doubt. Bob and Beverley started their journey together in Orono, Maine where Beverley gave birth to their first child, Robin Lee, and where Bob earned his Master's degree in agronomy. After two years in Maine, the family moved to Orem, Utah where Bob got a job with U.S. Steel. The Mercer clan prospered in Orem where Bob and Bev purchased their first house and where Cherie, their second child, joined the family. Bob's professional life really got going when he accepted an offer to work at R.T. French and the family moved to Idaho Falls, Idaho. R.T. French's was opening a potato processing plant and Bob was hired to be the field manager. This began long and successful career with the potato industry. Seven-and-a-half years after Cherie was born, Catherine Jo was arrived and three years later Jeffrey Robert joined her to complete the Mercer family. Bob and Bev loved Idaho Falls where they made lifelong friends. They were deeply involved in the community, including being active in the Jaycees and Lion's Club and in the LDS church where Bob served as Elder's Quorum President, Bishop and in the High Council. Bob learned the potato business well while serving at R.T. French and after fifteen happy years in Idaho, in 1972, he was offered the prestigious position of founding CEO of the newly organized National Potato Board headquartered in Denver, Colorado. Under Bob's leadership, the Mercers were off on their next adventure. Bob and Bev bought a home in Littleton, Colorado where they finished raising their family and where they resided for the rest of Bob's life. Working for the Potato Board was very rewarding. Bob and Bev traveled the world including trips to Russia, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and more. Their home was full of keepsakes from their many adventures together. Bob was recognized and honored several times during his time at the Potato Board, including as the National Man of the Year and the International Man of the Year. After retiring from the Potato Board, Bob had much left to give the world and soon received another opportunity to lead. He was called to serve as the president of the newly formed LDS mission in Cameroon, West Africa. This proved challenging as the church met with political setbacks in Cameroon and the mission moved to Ivory Coast. Ivory Coast was full of adventure and Bob and Bev loved the people—both those they served and those who served with them. After a fulfilling and exhausting mission, Bob and Bev came home from Africa, added touches of African décor to their travelogue home and recharged. The recharge was short-lived as they were soon called to serve as Directors for the LDS Visitors Center in Nauvoo, Illinois. Nauvoo couldn't have been more different from Africa! Bob and Bev loved the opportunity to work with many other couples, learn and share the history of the church in Nauvoo, perform in musical groups and preserve the heritage of the church. Bob was instrumental in helping the church acquire the St. Mary's Academy property. Many family members and friends came to visit them while they served in Illinois. After two years in Nauvoo, Bob and Bev enjoyed time in Denver with their growing family and friends. Their posterity now numbers forty-one including four married children, twenty-two grandchildren, and eleven great-grandchildren. Bob and Bev continued to travel with friends and family to Canada, Mexico, Tahiti and across the states. Bob and Bev's legacy of church service continued as they served together as temple workers in the Denver Temple. Bob's final years humbled him as he struggled with dementia. His memory slowly faded along with his aging body. Bob's love for his wife, his love for his family, and his love for his Heavenly Father never waned. He bore his testimony and expressed his love to his final day in mortality. Bob is preceded in death by his parents, James Lee and Catherine Ela Coombs; his sisters, Irene Anderson (and husband Arthur) and Betty Jo Gelwix (and husband Ken); and his brother, Larry. He is survived by his wife, Beverley Knowlton; his brother, James (wife Lotte); his children Robin Beck (husband Ron), Cherie Davis (husband Bob), Cathy Macfarlane (husband Larry), Jeff (wife Donna); his grandchildren, Brittany Pardon (husband Levi), Bobby Beck (wife Kathryn), Caitlin Finley (husband Jesse), Lauren Beck, Aaron Beck, Allen Davis, Ryan Davis, Tiffany Norris (husband Andrew), Larz Macfarlane, Kyle Macfarlane (wife Brianna), Devin Macfarlane (wife Lisa), Brooke Mercer, Kelsie Mercer, Dillon Mercer, Cade Mercer, Paige Mercer; and his great-grandchildren, Trevor Pardon, Skylar Pardon, Kayla Beck, Scott Beck, Harper Finley, Rowan Finley, Taylor Norris, Russell Norris, Matthew Norris, Sarah Norris, Millie Macfarlane. We honor and celebrate Bob's life. We will miss him ... until we meet again.

Larry Mercer Obituary

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Mr. Larry Coombs Mercer died from the effects of cancer on April 20 (Easter Sunday) at the Pleasant Care Nursing Home in Bakersfield, California at the age of 66. Mr. Mercer was born in Alberta Canada February 22, 1937. He is survived by his three children, Ryan Lee age 17, Samantha Marlene age 15, and Kayna Diane age 9. He has a surviving sister Irene Anderson of Alberta Canada, a brother Robert of Denver Colorado, and a brother James of Clifton Virginia. His parents and a sister Betty Jo Gelwix preceded him in death. Larry was active in scouting as a youth and became a Queen Scout in Canada (This is equivalent to an eagle scout in USA). After high school he attended Oakland City College before entering the U.S. Army and served two years in France. During his service he received training in clerking and office management. Upon discharge he worked for Delta Trucking Company in their office and later for Pacific Bell Co. Mr. Mercer then went to a radio broadcasting school and worked at a station in Yreka until a television station in Oregon offered him a position. From there he went to a television station in Salinas California. It was there he won an Emmy award for the best local news director. The last several years Mr. Mercer worked as a public affairs officer for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, where he was employed at the time of his death. Larry has been active in civil affairs as well as his church and is noted for his participation and activity in many callings. Funeral services will be held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints under the direction of Doughty Calhoun-O’Meara Mortuary. Bishop Mark Nation will preside.

Jared Mercer Life Sketch

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Jared Alma Mercer was born 15 February, 1882 at American Fork, Utah, the eldest child of Sarah Shelley and Ammon Mercer. He received his early education in American Fork. His father, Ammon Mercer, came to Canada in 1897. His mother and five younger children came to Lethbridge, North West Territories, (later Alberta) by train in April of 1898. Jared, a boy of 16, drove a team and covered wagon, with all their household goods, overland to Canada. An interesting side story was that as the train was nearing Boulder, Montana, Jared and his mother saw each other and waved and they both cried. Jared was traveling with others who were also bringing wagons loaded with their goods, but he had also brought his dog with him to keep him company. However, he lost his dog on the journey at Wolf Creek, Montana, and this too caused him much sadness. The journey took 6 weeks with them arriving in Cardston in May of 1898. The Mercer family first settled in Cardston, but at Stake Conference in 1899, the authorities announced that they wanted to start a new settlement in a place to be called “Magrath”. As Jared’s father, Ammon was called to serve in the new Bishopric, the Mercer family moved to Magrath. Ammon Mercer was the driver for a stage coach which he and his brother-in-law, Charlie McCarthy, owned and operated. Jared was often called upon to help drive the stage. One day as Jared was driving toward Cardston, he saw the smoke of a prairie fire. He was quite concerned because of all the stories about such fires and what they could do. He couldn’t get down to the river because there was no way down over the 300 foot breaks. He knew he couldn’t run away, so he tried to outflank the fire, which he could not see for the smoke that soon blotted out much of the landscape. He sweated and worried and kept driving as fast as he dared, but he could feel that he wasn’t winning and was going to be cut off. Then finally, on a hilltop ridge, he met the fire. The grass was very short, as is usual in later summer on a hill, and it was quite sparse. “Why” he said, “I could have crawled on my hands and knees and escaped.” Luckily there was little wind. He stepped the horses across and stopped them to rest after the hard run they had made. In 1904-05, the first missionaries from Magrath were called to serve. There was a group of five which included Jared Mercer, C. Dudley, W.T. Fletcher, Jesse Smith, and W. Evans. Jared served in Western States, headquartered in Denver. After his mission, he wanted to get more education. Ammon had studied under Dr. Karl G. Maeser, when he attended the B.Y. Academy and the two had remained good friends. Dr. Maeser encouraged the Mercer children to train as teachers and this is what Jared decided to do. He attended Normal School in 1906 and returned the following year to teach in Magrath. He succeeded Z.W. Jacobs as principal of the old Magrath High School. While there, he was responsible for the purchase of the school bell. Each student was asked to contribute 25 cents toward the purchase of the bell. This bell was later transferred to the new brick school. He taught continuously, except for short periods when he attended schools of higher learning. He obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree from the university in Provo, Utah in 1933, and then returned to Canada to teach, first in Stirling and then in Magrath. On 17 July, 1913, Jared marred Annie Millard of Oakley, Idaho. They had a daughter, Alma Claire, born 18 November, 1916, and a son, John Winston, born 29 January, 1920, both in Magrath. Jared moved with his family to Oakley, Idaho in the fall of 1922 as he had accepted the position of High School principal there, which position he held until his death 29 August, 1938. Jared and Annie had two more daughters born in Oakley, Idaho. Marjorie was born 8 June, 1925 and Janice was born 20 May, 1929. Jared was a very devoted and loving father, husband and son. His family was very important to him. Jared was always very fond of music and started playing various instruments at a young age. Ammon Mercer had part of his home partitioned off for the Post Office. When the P.O. was moved to the Wo Lee Building, the room used for the P.O. was converted to a music room. Here, the three boys, Jared, Am, and Jim spent many hours practicing their music. When the trombone was first known of in the area, Jared acquired one and so had the first trombone. He played in the Magrath Band and was also involved in choir work. He continued his involvement with music in Oakley and led the school band there, teaching many to play various instruments. While in Oakley, Jared also served as a Bishop for 10 years and was only released shortly before his death because of ill health. He also served for several years as Mayor, and was still Mayor at the time of his death. His beloved daughter, Alma was a student at B.Y.U. when she contracted polio and died December 11, 1938 at the age of 20. He took her death very hard and the family felt that this hastened his own death less than two years later. Probably his greatest work was with the youth, be it in music, education, or church circles. He left a great legacy for his children. Janice Mercer Cranney died 6 June, 1966 and Annie Millard Mercer died 11 January, 1981. Before leaving this story of Jared Mercer, I would like to add one story that has come down through my father, James Mercer, Jared’s youngest brother. Jared was Jim’s school teacher and Jim was not a very obedient student. Jared was able to manage the other students but Jim didn’t think he should have to do what his teacher said. After all, he was only his brother. After school, Jared would take Jim out to this grove of trees and give him a lickin’ and tell him he had to behave in school. Jim’s language was not the best. He would swear at Jared and then in the next breath, he would call “Ma”. His sisters said sometimes it sounded like Jim was swearing at his mother. Needless to say, Jared probably wished Jim would smarten up, go away, or some such thing. From Irene Mercer Anderson

Larry Mercer Eulogy

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Delivered by his brother, Robert Mercer Larry Mercer, the fifth child (of five) and the third son of James Lee Mercer and Catherine Ela Coombs, was born in Alberta Canada on George Washington’s birthday, February 22, 1937. Larry’s parents were born in Utah and though had immigrated to Canada were still U.S. citizens which made Larry a dual citizen of both the U.S. and Canada. Larry was born and raised in Barnwell, a small farming community in Alberta and so was acquainted with hard work. He was raised in a devout Christian home and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have prepared a few words for this occasion on the passing of my brother Larry. However, if you would excuse me for a moment I would like to ad-lib an introduction. We are meeting in a chapel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—a Mormon church. And I venture to say, knowing Larry, that you his friends from every denomination are here to pay your respects—Christians of other denominations, Jews, Muslims, some of no particular religion—but, I can assure you this pleases Larry to know end. He loved all and today would rush forward to greet and embrace you. We, his family, also welcome you and thank you for the love and respect you are showing for a dear friend and colleague. I remember Larry as my baby brother. In fact, he was so far my junior that we never had sibling squabbles. He was always my little brother who needed protection and encouragement from a big brother. He was an enjoyable and loving person even when young. Oh, he had the usual scrapes and fracases that young men have but he always knew what was right and wrong. One example of his hard work and dedication was his obtaining the rank of King Scout in Canada, the highest rank in scouts. A King Scout in Canada is equivalent to an Eagle Scout in the U.S.A. Larry had all the intelligence and skills to excel in school but some of this had to wait when he was young because his big focus was on sports. In Canada, al athlete had to be interested in hockey and Larry was no exception. But when the ice melted, it was all baseball. His dad had played semi-pro ball and so helped to coach and encourage him. When Larry took the field it was easy to spot the star. Only his size limited him from being the super star but he certainly had the talent. Larry also inherited his musical talent from his bandleader dad. Jim and I both played the snare drum in the town marching band but Larry took up the trumpet and did very well. He was well rounded and with his personality was well liked and accepted as one who was very special. I think mother worried more about her youngest because that is what mothers are wont to do. Of course being a good Christian woman, she always prayed for her children. But I think she especially prayed for her baby not only because he was the youngest but also because he left home at an early age. When still a young man, Larry moved to California to live with our sister, Betty Jo, and partake of better opportunities for schooling. This also exposed him to the draft. Just a short time into college at UC at Berkeley, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and served two years in France. However, this didn’t deprive him of an education since in the service because of his aptitudes, he was sent to clerking school and also received experience in office management. Upon discharge, he was well trained for office jobs. He went to work for Delta Trucking Company in their office and later for Pacific Bell Co. Larry became interested in broadcasting and enrolled in a radio broadcasting school and was then hired by a station in Yreka. A TV station in Oregon became interested and invited him to try his hand at TV. He must have done well because he was hired and then later was transferred to a station in Salinas. It was there he won two Emmys, one for the best local newscaster and another for best news director. The last few years of Larry Mercer’s career he worked as a Public Affairs Officer for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management where he was employed at the time of his death. Larry also had a social life with a multitude of girlfriends, but didn’t marry early. In fact he was in his late forties when Kris Sullivan finally corralled him. They were blessed with three adorable children whom Larry loved very much. Unfortunately, the marriage ended in divorce but Larry kept the children and remained friends with Kris. He was a devoted family man and his children—Ryan 17, Samantha 15, and Kayna 9 were most dear to him and they came first in his life. They will remember all the things he did for them…not only the father type things, but also the cooking, washing clothes, combing hair—many domestic chores as well as fatherly. They could always count on his love and support. They too will miss their dad. All those who knew Larry will miss him. He was a very likable person who was very friendly and reached out to all. He made friends easily. Visiting here the past few days I have witnessed this and most of you can attest to this. He loved people. Those who worked with Larry will remember his talents and his support as well. He was a team player. He could speak well but he could write as well. He was a communicator. Larry was intelligent and had many creative ideas. And although he stood firmly behind his convictions, he didn’t push them on others. He respected all and carefully evaluated all opinions. Yes, we will all miss him. I will miss him although I was eleven years his senior and so missed some of the close relationships of siblings. But I do remember him so fondly as my baby brother and will always love him and feel to be his protector. When Mother and Dad released him all too early in his life to leave home, she said she could only do it because of the example of the prophet Alma the elder who always prayed for his son even when at times it seemed fruitless. And her prayers did pay off as did Alma’s. Mother never stopped praying for her son, Larry, and she made me promise to never stop praying for him either, and I never did. Well Larry fought the good fight, but cancer was just too much, and has now returned to his Father in Heaven and is again with Mother, Dad, and our sister Betty Jo. I know they are still watching over Ryan, Samantha, and Kayna and praying for them. We as a family join them. I know I am and your prayers are welcome too. These children will be worthy one day to rejoin their Dad and Heavenly Father. They must be so as to enjoy the blessings of an eternal family.

James Lee Mercer - The Bald Spot

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

by Larry Mercer, Son When I was a very small boy (just the other day), my Dad had a bald spot on the top of his head. Mom said there was a remedy for that--rub a raw onion on the bald spot and it would go away. Of course I immediately wanted to do that. So Mom sliced an onion, and Dad sat in his big easy chair reading the paper while I rubbed the onion on his shiny scalp. I can't believe he let me do that. Now I'm not claiming that the onion grew hair, but as I got older, Dad didn't have any shiny spots on his scalp. He smelled good too. That's my family's favorite story about my parents, so I thought I would share it with the rest of you. Larry Mercer

Rook and Religion

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Marva Haws once quipped, “You don’t have to be smart to live in Barnwell, but you must know how to play Rook.” Good friends, including Ela and Jim Mercer, Bessie and Jack Johnson, Nina and Lynn Bullock, Erma and Ollie Nielsen, Bula and Leonard Johnson, Leith and Myrtle Johnson gathered often for Rook evenings. Some in the group were avid and kept track of every card. Others just played for the fun. The two philosophies didn’t always mix. Jim once asked Lynn, after losing as partners, “I can’t figure how you can be so successful as a famer and cattle feeder when you can’t concentrate on a card game!” Lynn’s replied, “Rook doesn’t bring in money; farms do.” Another night Jim Mercer got to talking religion. He asked Leith point blank, “Do you really believe this Mormon Church is true?” “Yes, Jim, I know it is.” Jim added, “Yeah, likely it is. But I’ll sure be mad if I find out it isn’t, after all the fun we’ve missed out on.” Leith had to think about that one. “Well, if I ever find out it is not true, it is still all right. This is a great way to live.” Source: Johnson, M. Dean, Progeny of the Prairie, 1996, pp 528-529.

Life timeline of James Lee Mercer

James Lee Mercer was born in 1892
James Lee Mercer was 16 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
James Lee Mercer was 20 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
James Lee Mercer was 28 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
James Lee Mercer was 38 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
James Lee Mercer was 53 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
James Lee Mercer was 63 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
James Lee Mercer was 77 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
James Lee Mercer died in 1972 at the age of 80
Grave record for James Lee Mercer (1892 - 1972), BillionGraves Record 11159228 Taber, Division No. 2, Alberta, Canada