James Thornley

16 May 1877 - 17 Aug 1959

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

James Thornley

16 May 1877 - 17 Aug 1959
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

As told to Sylvia R. Toolson, a friend and neighbor in January 1955. My father, Robert Thornley, was born in 1830 at Preson, Lancaster, England. He was a member of a family of six children. He emigrated to America in 1855, and paid his own passage to Utah by working as a teamster. He drove three yok
Register to get full access to the grave site record of James Thornley
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

James Thornley


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


April 24, 2012


April 3, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about James...

We found more records about James Thornley.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of James


James Thornley is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



The Life Story of James Brighton Thornley

Colaborador: stepnic Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told to Sylvia R. Toolson, a friend and neighbor in January 1955. My father, Robert Thornley, was born in 1830 at Preson, Lancaster, England. He was a member of a family of six children. He emigrated to America in 1855, and paid his own passage to Utah by working as a teamster. He drove three yoke of oxen. When he arried in the Salt Lake Valley, he worked in the L.D.S. tithing office as a butcher. My mother, Annie Brighton, was born about 1840 at Glascow, Scotland. Her parents died when she was just a girl. She lived with her brother until they emigrated to America. In 1857, she pulled a handcart across the desert plains to Utah. Soon after she arrived in the Salt Lake valley, she met Robert Thornley. They were married in the summer of 1859 in the Salt Lake Endowment House. They moved to Smithfield, Utah, to make their home and live the remainder of their lives. They both died and are buried in the Smithfield cemetery. I, James B. Thornley, was born 16 May 1877 at Smithfield, Cache, Utah. I was the 7th child in a family of 10 children. In their order: Robert Brighton Thornley; John Stewart Thornley; William Thornley; Ellen Thornley; Annie Thornley; Seth Thornley; Thomas Thornley; James B. Thornley; George Thornley; Samuel Thornley. I was born in a two room log cabin located at 150 E. Center Street. Our log cabin had a dirt roof and floor. I often wonder how mother took care of us. There were ten children and Grandfather Thornley lived with us for yet, we often had one or two friends living with us too. I was blessed by my father, Robert Thornley 24 May 1877. Mother made my first suit of jeans. She sheered the sheep, washed and carded the wool, then sent it to Logan, Utah to be woven into cloth. When the cloth was returned, she sewed my suit by hand. I was a very proud lad in my new suit. Our shoes were made by the Z.C.M.I. Company at Salt Lake City. They were of valley tanned leather. This valley tanned was no special process, just the hair pulled off the hide. In the winter, we used burlap sacks wrapped around our shoes to keep our feet warm. A few years later we wore felt boots that looked like stockings. We wore hand knit socks and mittens. My trousers, and coat were made of jeans cloth, a grey color. My early education was at a private school. Mrs. Ainscough, was the school teacher. My father paid for my tuition by furnishing wood from the canyon to heat the room. There were about 12 pupils of all ages. We sat on a log bench by a table and used slates to write on. We would start school a short time before Christmas and continue until the farm work started in the spring. I went to the fourth reader in school. My father owned a small farm in Smithfield. He raised the necessary food for our family. We raised grain and corn to feed our hogs, which we fattened for our family meat supply. We also sold some of the hogs. Our sweetening for foods was molasses. We raised the sugar cane, and took it to the molasses mill to be processed. The molasses mill was located where Homer Daines home stands. There is still a bump where the water that generated the power for the mill, run down in a stream. During a dry season they used horses to pull the molasses grinder. The people who operated the mill received one half of the molasses for their pay to process it. Our family received 100 gallons of molasses for one years use. During the fall season, we gathered wild berries and choke cherries. Mother preserved them and they were put in large crock jars for winter use. Father was the town butcher. We boys would go with him to help dress the meat. Many of the people would have their animals butchered just before Christmas. Our family would go out in four groups. We would work until noon, killing the animals. In the afternoon, we would cut the meat up. Our pay was seven to ten points of meat for each animal of pork, or fifty cents in cash. With beef, we got one dollar for each animal killed and butchered. I was baptized in Summit Creek on 2nd E. Street in Smithfield, Utah. They made a dam in the creek to hold the water back to make it deep enough to baptize. It was a real cold day. I was baptized by Erick Danielson and confirmed by Robert Bain. I was ordained a Teacher 22 Feb 1893 by R.A. Bain; Ordained a Priest 21 Dec. 1893 by George L. Farrell. In my youth our recreation was varied. We played basketball, participated in horse races, swam in the Bear River and the canals, went camping for the summer. In the winter, we went to dances twice a week in our homes. If there was a homemade carpet on the floor, we rolled it back and had a wonderful time. We had a fiddler and a caller. We each contributed 10 cents pay for the music and the “Caller.” Our celebrations were on May Day. We went up Smithfield Canyon about 3 miles, just across the creek from the Mile’s farm. We had a picnic, King and a Queen and Royal guards for this celebration. Our 24th of July celebration was under the direction of the Sunday School. We had a parade, a nice program under a nice brush bowery built for the occasion. The bowery was always built where the city park of Smithfield is now, in the center of town. After the program there was always competitive races and contests. This was carried on year after year. Grandfather Thornley usually won the “Scyth” contest. I remember one year a celebration was not held. Some young men, the size larger than I, chopped down the Liberty Pole. Those boys had to appear before the public, in Sacrament meeting and ask forgiveness. Part of their punishment was to plant a new Liberty Pole. Different methods of discipline was used. If a man got drunk, he had to appear before his Priesthood Quorum, and ask forgiveness and be re-Baptized. Our Christmas usually consisted of homemade molasses candy and doughnuts sweetened with molasses. The girls received rag dolls. Father made a “Saw Roger,” for the boys. This toy was carved from wood. It was about 15 inches high with carved arms and a solid body and legs. It stood on the edge of a table. The two arms held a bar of wood, and a weight was put on this bar, usually a potato. This would govern a moving motion of this bar, and give the appearance of a man sawing wood. When I was 15 years old, my brother John, homesteaded a farm at McCammon, Idaho. I worked three summers for him. We planned that when I became old enough, I would get 80 acres of it. When I was old enough, I drove a wagon to Pocatello, Idaho to file a claim on this farm. A neighbor knew our intentions and went there by train and filed on the property first. John felt as badly as I did. He wanted me to take half of his farm, but I wouldn’t do that. When I was 18 years old, I went to work in the gold mines at Merker, Utah. It was quite an experience for me. I roomed with very undesirable companions, generally. In spite of all this, I was able to keep myself straight and clean. It lasted for 6-8 months, then I came home for the summer. I worked in an underground tunnel and mined copper. This copper mine is now known as the Utah Kennicott Copper company, or Rio Tinto. Other places I worked were from Bingham, Utah to Silver City, Utah. I worked in the “Tescora” Copper Mine, the Diamond Copper Mine. I became ill while at this mine so I returned home. At a social gathering in Smithfield, I became better acquainted with Mary Smith, whom I had known since we were children. I escorted her home from the social. The next day I returned to the mines. We corresponded with each other and most of ur courting was done through the United States Mail. A year later, I returned home to ask Mary to be my wife. From the letters she had written, I felt quite certain she would say yes. She accepted my proposal of marriage. We agreed that I should return to the mines to work for another six months. That my earn enough money to get married. I remember the day we were married very plainly—I borrowed a buggy to take us to the Logan Temple. The roads then were just field roads. We left soon after daylight. We saw several coyotes along the road. I carried my Temple clothes in a flour sack and I thought Mary was quite stylish to have a small grip for her clothes. We were married by Apostle Marriner W. Merrill, then the President of the Logan Temple 23 May 1900. We returned home after the marriage to a lovely party at father’s home. We had a nice wedding supper, program and dancing. The carpet was rolled back for the dancing. I had one week off from the mines. I then went back to Silver City and rented a house for us to live in. This house was about 3 miles from the mine. Mary joined me and we began house-keeping. Each day I walked to the mine to my work. Most of my companions had wives. They were nice couples. We associated with them socially. We lived in Silver City until June 1901, when I received a letter from a man in Cottonwood Canyon. He asked me to work in his copper mine. We moved up there and Mary stayed with me until October. I then brought her back to Smithfield to stay with her folks for the winter. The winters in Cottonwood were severe, too severe for her. That winter, the snow was 15 feet deep. Our cabin was literally buried in snow. We dug a stairway from the door up to the top of the snow. We went to the mine on skis. We had to cross a flat surface area for about 400 yards. We put tall sticks in the snow to blaze our trail back so we would not get lost in the wind and the snow. The next summer I went back to Smithfield where I was employed as city water master. I returned to Cottonwood at winter to work in the mines. Our first child, a son James Done Thornley was born 16 February 1902 at Smithfield, Utah. We built our first house then. It was red brick. Heber Floyd was born here on 30 May 1904. I was city marshal for 3 years. We wanted to live closer to town, so we traded our home for the old Langton home, which stood where the Junior High school now stands. We lived there about 20 years. After my term as Smithfield marshal expired, I returned to work at the mines for another year or two. In 1926, we sold our home to the school organization and moved. Heber Whiting now owns that home. In 1940, we built a small home on this same lot, just south, next door to the Heber Whiting home. I still live here alone in 1957. Mary died 18 June 1948 in the home. This was a terrible blow to me and my family. My memories go back to Sylvester Lowe, who was chairman of the School Board. He offered me a job as the janitor of the Summit Schools. There were 3 schools for me to take care of which I did for 39 years. I became pals with the school children. I loved them dearly and they showed their affection for me all those years. Mary and I had six children. They are as follows; James Done; Heber Floyd; Alveretta; Brighton; Elliott; and Cherril. I have 25 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren. Our children were all married in the temple. I am still living in my own home, taking care of myself, and enjoying life and the companionship of my family, friends and neighbors. I am retired from my school job. I am self supporting on my school retirement fund. Our children have brought a lot of joy and happiness and some sorrow into our lives. Sorrow came with the death of our 20 year old son, Thomas Brighton on 12 June 1930. He suffered for nineteen weeks with blood poisoning. About 9 July 1921, we were living on a farm in Amalga, Utah. Mary’s brother, Wesley had just left her father, who was the night watchman at the sugar factory. Evelyn Peterson was with him. Our son Elliott and his cousin, Louis S. Peterson ran to catch onto the buggy. The farm we were living on joined the Peterson farm. Elliott’s foot slipped and went through the wheel. His food and leg wrapped around the axel three times. This made it necessary to amputate the leg just below the hip. That was the hardest experience we ever saw happen. I was so proud of Elliott. On the way to the hospital Elliott said, “Do you think I’ll die, daddy?” I told him I didn’t think so. I assured him that the doctor would fix him up. Then he said, “I wonder if I can play ball.” I said I think so. Then after thinking a few minutes he said, “If I can’t run, I can hop.” He was only seven years old. He accepted the loss of his leg and very readily adjusted to his condition until he never seemed handicapped at all. He participated in athletics, basketball, and track activities. He received 1st Place honor in Junior and Senior high school in High Jump, in Broad Jump and in Chinning. He receive special recognition in the newspaper, Ripley’s “Believe it or not.” Twice in my life- time I have tried to buy a farm for my family. I had no one to help me in these attempts, so I was not successful as a farmer. On the 2nd of January, 1946, I had a bad heart attack and was in bed for almost a year. I was nursed by my dear wife and family. I was just beginning to get my strength back and to feel better when I lost my beloved wife and companion on 18 June 1948. We lived a full happy life together. We were always united in our plans and worked together. My memory of her is very sweet and although I am very lonely at times, I have happy memories. I have always been an ardent fisherman. I still enjoy the sport. When I was young, I took my boys with me fishing. Now that I am older, they take me with them. I enjoy nature in all her glory, and take pride in my vegetable and my flower gardens each summer. My church activities have been varied; a few of them are as follows; I have been a member of the choir since I was 23 years old. For 48 years, I was president of this organization. I have served as Counselor in the M.I.A. and Superintendent of the Sunday School in the 2nd Ward, a Sunday School teacher, a teacher in the Priesthood, and a Scout leader. I was president of the building committee when they remodeled the old 2nd Ward tabernacle and they then installed the pipe organ. I have participated in many choir operas and enjoyed singing in many communities in Cache Valley. One of my favorite songs in base is “A Sleep in the Deep.” We went traveling in Ludlows and sleighs. We enjoyed lovely friendships with opera cast members. I am a High Priest in my ward, the 3rd ward. I feel that while I haven’t made any outstanding financial successes that my life has been full and a happy one. Five of our six children are still living. We have tried to educate them. They have nice homes and lovely nice families. I have seen most of my old friends leave this world. Two of my brothers are still living. George and I have always been able to visit. I have always been able to visit with my friends and neighbors and enjoyed their companionship. The Lord has been very good to me. I am very thankful for my membership in the L.D.S. Church and the testimony that I have of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (On the 17 Aug 1959, James Thornley died at the home of his daughter, Alveretta Thornley Jorgensen (Mrs. Milton Jorgensen) at Lewiston, Cache, Utah. He had suffered terribly from diabetes. He bumped his toe and it never would heal. The skin just dried on the bone, as it became infected and this trouble just kept slowly moving up his leg. The doctors would not amputate. He stayed at his son Done’s home in Kaysville for a long time before going to Alveretta’s. His children were all very thoughtful and good to him. His memory will live on in the hearts of all of those who knew and loved him. He was buried by the side of his dear wife in the Smithfield cemetery, 20 August 1959.) By Phyllis Peterson Tueller

Life timeline of James Thornley

James Thornley was born on 16 May 1877
James Thornley was 11 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
James Thornley was 17 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
James Thornley was 27 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
James Thornley was 40 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
James Thornley was 52 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
James Thornley was 62 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
James Thornley was 68 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
James Thornley died on 17 Aug 1959 at the age of 82
Grave record for James Thornley (16 May 1877 - 17 Aug 1959), BillionGraves Record 948192 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States