Lars C Hansen

15 Dec 1839 - 5 Mar 1917

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Lars C Hansen

15 Dec 1839 - 5 Mar 1917
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF KAREN J. HANSEN Mrs. Karen J. Hansen, wife of Lars C. Hansen, was born in Norway, 26 Apr. 1843 in a small village 14 mi. from Frederickhold, Osterford. Her mother’s maiden name was Birtha Marie Anderson, and her father’s name, Hans Peter Larsen, was reversed to Lars Peter Hansen. Both
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Lars C Hansen
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Lars C Hansen


Park Cemetery

West 700 North Street
Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Pvt Utah Ter Mil Inf Black Hawk War, PVT Utah Ter Mil Inf Blackhawk War

Rose Ann Wright

August 31, 2013


May 11, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Lars C...

We found more records about Lars C Hansen.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Lars C


Lars C Hansen is buried in the Park Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Colaborador: Rose Ann Wright Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

HISTORY OF KAREN J. HANSEN Mrs. Karen J. Hansen, wife of Lars C. Hansen, was born in Norway, 26 Apr. 1843 in a small village 14 mi. from Frederickhold, Osterford. Her mother’s maiden name was Birtha Marie Anderson, and her father’s name, Hans Peter Larsen, was reversed to Lars Peter Hansen. Both her parents were hard working people. Her father was employed in the lumber yards until Karen was 3 years old. At this age they moved to Frederickhold. Karen was the youngest of four children. Lars, her older brother, was a musician, and lived to an old age. Ellen was an only sister and was seven years older than Karen; she was seldom at home. Olivas, her younger brother just older than Karen, was her main childhood play mate. At the age of 9 he was stricken with typhoid fever and died. Karen was entirely lost for companionship after his death. She tried to conceal and forget this heart break which was hard for her to do. Five years later, her mother died and she noticed keenly with her 8 year old childish eyes how greatly it affected her father. About this time, Karen had a great longing to go to school, but being a poor family, her father could not send her. Thus many an afternoon she would sit by the bedside of a learned crippled uncle and learn to read and write. At the age of 9 she finally was given the chance of starting school. Because of her great love for books and the schooling she had gained from her uncle, she outclassed many students older than herself. She enjoyed one happy year at school and at the age of 10 she started to work for a family by the name of Harvey and it was here that she first met and heard the Mormon missionaries. She was 11 years old when the missionaries called at Mrs. Harvey’s. Because of so many rumors among the people at this time about the Mormons and their beliefs, Karen was very anxious to hear what they had to say to defend themselves, so she took a seat in a corner unnoticed and listened intently while they explained the First Principles of the Gospel. When they departed, she felt a great urge to still learn more about the Mormon religion. She was well versed in the Bible and became very interested in the way passages were explained so differently. Thus, she started comparing hers and the Mormon religion. She obtained all the tracts she could on these and studied them to herself. A short time later, the Harvey family accepted the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and this gave her the wonderful opportunity of becoming better acquainted with the Mormon teachings and before long, she was finding fault with her Lutheran teachings. Then at the age of 13 years she received in a dream a wonderful promise. It was about 4:30 a.m. She dreamed a young man stood at the foot of her bed and said, “You shall not die in this country. You will go to Zion.” When she awoke she kept seeing the man’s face and was unable to forget his words. She related her strange dream to Mrs. Harvey, who felt her dream was of no importance. Karen was made a member of the Lutheran Church at birth and had taken instructions from the Priest for more than a year when at the age of 14 she was considered one of the Priest’s best Bible students. When the Priest received the news that she was interested in and studying the Mormon teachings, he tried in every way to strengthen her in the Lutheran faith. He told her she had let the unbelievers win her over and she would surely go to hell for listening to such rebels. Her sister Ellen came to her and cried and pleaded with her to reconsider her actions. She thought because of the little knowledge she had of the Mormons and the false rumors that were going around, that Karen was certainly going wrong. A short time later Karen decided to talk to her father about it. Her father was a very staunch Lutheran and was deeply troubled with sorrow at her joining the Mormon faith. Being drawn much to his youngest child he said, “Karen, I have always looked to you to be my greatest joy and comfort and now you cause me the greatest sorrow.” Karen’s heart was broken by his words and she said, “If he had taken a willow and whipped me good it wouldn’t have hurt nearly as much.” She loved her father with the deep affection of a motherless child and she felt so alone and in need of a helping hand so she went and knelt down and prayed to God for help to endure and not give up. When she arose she had the contented feeling that everything was for the best and that all would be well. Many times after this the Priest tried in every way to save her from what he called her downfall. But true to her convictions she was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a river near Frederickhold on Dec. 28, 1858. It was necessary for her to do this under the cover of darkness and in secret as she was not yet of age and the missionaries would have been mobbed and she taken care of by the law. The law called it seducing and a heavy penalty was asked for it. The following spring 1859 she let her native home and childhood haunts for Christiania, little realizing it was the last time she would see it. Christiania was at this time the capitol of Norway. For over six months after arriving here she received no letters from home. Finally she heard from some friends who said her family believed she had been arrested and was in custody of the law. So she wrote home and told them the truth. For about six years she worked for the higher rank of people in Christiania. In 1863 she received word that her father had died. Once again her sister came and tried to convert her to her old faith, but without success. That was the last she saw her sister. Early in the year 1865 as she was walking down one of the streets of the city one day she saw coming toward her a young man, whom she felt she had met or seen before. He walked up to her and said, “You shall this year go to Zion.” Then it was she remembered him as the man in her dream years before. She answered him in surprise, “But I do not know where the money will come from.” And he said, “Neither do I,” and walked away before she had a chance to say any more. This same spring of 1865 she borrowed twenty five dollars from some friends and set sail for America. The second day she spent on the ship she met a young man by the name of Lars Hansen, a four year missionary from Denmark who was crossing on the same ship. This man later became her husband. When she first saw him her opinion of him was not very good. He and some other men of his age were doing a tumbling act on the deck in their best clothes. When he asked her to dance, she told him right out that she would never be friends with anyone who didn’t know how to take care of his clothes. He teased her about her red hair and quick temper and they were hardly friendly when they parted. They set sail on the 27th of April. They were on the ship for five weeks. They landed In New York in May 1865 – just after the ending of the Civil War. The company she was with went from New York to St. Joseph by train, but were detained in Jackson County for six days to repair wrecked bridges caused by the war. At St. Joseph, they were again detained three days for repair work on roads. From here they went up the Missouri River, through Nebraska to Wyoming and on to Salt Lake City. They started about the middle of August to cross the plains. Some of the teamsters had never even seen oxen before and man cheery laughs were enjoyed as they tried to make the oxen understand them. This company of pioneers contained sixty wagons with 16 to 18 immigrants to each wagon. Each person was allowed fifty pounds of luggage. When they stopped to eat or for the night the women prepared the meals and made other preparations necessary for the next day’s journey while the men tended the oxen and hunted for meat. Sometime upon reaching a camping site there was no water which made things very difficult for them. To be sure of safety in preparing food, all bread dough was poured into skillets to bake. In preparing the dough in cold weather the dough was hung in buckets on the sunny side of the wagon in the morning before starting on the day’s journey. At noon it was ready to bake. The journey was to have taken about ten weeks but instead it took twelve weeks which cost them each $60.00 instead of $50.00. Those who were able to walk did so and Karen walked the 1,000 miles across the plains. Many of the immigrants died in Wyoming because of the extreme cold weather and the change of climate which they had not been used to. Because of the zig-zag of the Platte River, they crossed it six times. They were always told in advance to be prepared to wade. Often they traveled miles in wet clothing to keep from detaining the advancement of their journey. Thomas Taylor (a merchant by trade) was the leader of his company. Nearing Wyoming, unfriendly soldiers stampeded their oxen. While they were eating their noon day meal, they lost fourteen needed oxen and spend precious time finding the others. Two and a half days later while they were enjoying a much needed rest in the beautiful, shady spot by a welcome river, they were suddenly surrounded by Indians. The oxen had been turned out to graze and the people had to quickly put out all camp fires before they could chase the oxen into the camp circle. The children screaming “Indians” caused the oxen to stampede and they had a hard time getting them together. A woman by the name of Mrs. Gruntvig, who was ill and had gone for a short walk with her husband and was just returning to camp, was stolen by the Indians and her husband wounded. When the Indians got Mrs. Gruntvig they rode across the river and her people never saw her again. She was the mother of a six year old boy by the name of Siverine. (Years later he happened into Karen’s home and she knew him. His father recovered from his wounds.) Seven men had been wounded at that time. They had to tie one man to a wagon wheel so they could pull the arrows out of his neck. They left the camp site hungry and frightened and for three nights they didn’t dare make a fire to cook food, for fear the Indians would see their camp again. From this camp site their journey took them over sage brush plains instead of grass and they continued on for close to 200 miles without disturbance. 300 miles from Salt Lake they were detained by a heavy snow storm. Tents were flattened by the heavy storm. They helped each other out from under the tents. For three days they were unable to travel and to keep from freezing they would take turns keeping the beds warm with their own bodies so those on guard would have warm beds to climb into and get warmed. When they resumed the journey the roads were so rough and frozen they were forced to slow down. About 200 miles from Salt Lake men came to meet them and took the sick and wounded to Salt Lake City. This was the latter part of October and the weather was very cold and they were very short of food and clothing. They were out of flour and had to ration the rest of the food. A small band of men passed them once with a few sacks of flour for a destitute company two weeks behind them. They were short of flour and could spare none; a few days later a few sacks of flour was brought immediately. They hadn’t tasted bread for many days. Later a group of merchants from Salt Lake City with goods for sale passed them but refused to help them because they were Mormons and were unable to pay them right then for the clothes. Lars Hansen a few days later sold his last keep-sake, a watch, for four pounds of pork. He had been very poor during the whole journey but he was still glad to stay with the company. About 150 miles from Salt Lake City, they crossed the Green River at night. For the first time they had to cross in the wagons as the water was too deep and cold for them to wade. The water was over the wheels but they made it across safely. Here at a small road house Lars Hansen tried to trade his shirt and tie for more flour. The manager gave him the flour but refused to take his clothes. They were all without money and their clothes were in rags. A few days later when they came into Immigration Canyon their hearts were happy, their faith stronger than ever. They gave their thanks to God for the privilege of making the journey. They were very sincere in their thanks and felt the journey was an inspiring experience. They arrived in Salt Lake City on the 8th of November 1865 and made their first camp on the spot where the County Building now stands. It was a bare spot enclosed by a high board fence. Three days later Karen moved to Fairview with the missionary who brought and preached the Gospel to her in Norway and his family. She stayed with them and worked for her board and keep. Two months later Lars Hansen came to Fairview also. He and Karen were married in Fairview, Sanpete County, on 19 Jan. 1866 and went to the Endowment House to me sealed for eternity on the 17th of Feb. 1866. They settled in Ephraim and became the parents of ten children, six boys and four girls, -- Nora, Olivia, Caroline, Evie, Lewis, Heber, Richard, Nephi, Henry, and Anton. For many years Karen had been very feeble; she suffered so much with her feet, which were very tender. They had big knots on them caused because she had walked so far on the plains, and she could hardly get around. She and her husband had done pretty well financially. They left a few hundred dollars to each one of their children. This history was related to me by Grandmother Karen Hansen herself while living with her daughter (my mother) Caroline Ditlevsen at Salina, Utah. She lived with us until my mother passed away Feb. 4, 1925. Karen died at the home of her son, Henry Hansen, in Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, that same year, in July of 1925, at the age of 82. Everyone respected and loved Grandmother Hansen. Karen had a remarkable memory and was very witty. She lived the Gospel faithfully and was thankful that she and Grandfather were able to come here to America and fulfill their hearts desires. I am thankful that I had the privilege of writing her inspiring life history. Written by Mrs. Melvina (Ditlevsen) Nielsen, Salina, Utah Retyped and uploaded by great, great granddaughter, Debra Rae (Mecham) Piepgrass


Colaborador: Rose Ann Wright Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

HISTORY OF LARS CHRISTIAN HANSEN (--Written by Mrs. Gordia Jackson) Lars C. Hansen was born in Hjorring, Denmark, 16 Dec. 1839. His parents, Hans and Dorothea Petersen, were well-to-do people but when he was baptized into the Mormon Faith on 2 Apr. 1861, he was disowned and sent away. He became a traveling Elder for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spending four years in this capacity before leaving Denmark. Karen Juliane Larsen was born 26 Apr 1843 at Frederickhold, Norway. Her parents were born in Sweden. When Karen was 9 years old her mother died. Three years later she was working at a maid at Frederichehall; she was happy to recall this position, for as she related, her book learning and character was thoroughly checked to be eligible. It was a cold day on December 28, 1858, when a Mormon Elder, Anthon C. Nielson, baptized her into our church; she was then fifteen years old. Now her one desire was to save money enough to immigrate to Utah. Six years later the ship, B.S. Kimball left Hamburg, Germany to cross the Atlantic Ocean. More than three hundred Latter-Day Saint immigrants, mostly Scandinavians, had started for Zion. Lars and Karen were with these Saints sailing to a new country. They sang songs of joy and had meetings on board the ship. It was July 31, 1865, when these saints left Wyoming, Nebraska, in Captain Minor Atwood’s ox-train of forty-five wagons and four hundred immigrants. Crossing the Platte River seven times, Karen walked the entire distance on the plains to Utah, 1,000 miles, as did Lars. Upon arrival in Ft. Laramie, Wyoming, Sept. 19, 1865, some U.S. officers informed her company that the Indians were on the warpath and offered to help them go back. Captain Atwood called the company together and stated the facts. It was unanimously decided to continue the journey to Salt Lake City. Three days later on Sept. 22nd a number of Indians attacked the wagon train and tried to drive off the cattle. In this they were not successful – five ol the brethren were severely wounded and one woman, Mrs. Gruntvig, was carried of by the Indians. The Indian ponies were much faster and her husband was shot in the hip by an arrow. The pioneer company never saw her again. A Four year old son, Severin, begged for his mother. The saints told him they would try to find her when they reached the Salt Lake Valley. Twenty three years later, Severin located my grandmother in Ephraim, which made her very happy. This company arrived in Salt Lake City Nov. 8th, 1865. On Jan. 19th, 1866, my grandparents were married at Fairview and a month later in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Brigham Young asked them to go to Ephraim and help settle it. The built a small house and Grandfather had a lime kiln and burned lime. It was this year that the Black Hawk War was centering in Sanpete County. Each able bodied man was assigned special work. Grandfather was t help herd and guard the stock. My mother was born Dec. 27, their first child. A farm was purchased a few miles south of Ephraim. Here also a home was constructed. When the land was surveyed, the porch was built in Manti, but the house in Ephraim. Grandfather and his sons spent many days working on the Manti Temple. It was dedicated 12 May, 1888. Three days previous to the dedication, wagons and buggies lined the highway going to Manti. 1,700 people were crowded on Temple hill at the dedication. My grandparents and mother heard the heavenly choir sing at the dedication.

Story of LARS CHRISTIAN HANSEN from Rootsweb

Colaborador: Rose Ann Wright Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Lars Christian HANSEN was born on 16 DEC 1839 in Skaeve, Hjorring, Denmark. He immigrated on 4 MAY 1856 from Denmark to Utah. THORNTON Ship: 1422 tons: 191' x 40' x 29' Built: 1854 by William H. Webb at New York City, New York A Mormon emigrant company that in a few months would encounter much hardship and tragedy sailed from Liverpool for America in the large square-rigged Thornton on 4 May 1856. Presiding over the 764 Saints on board was Elder James G. Willie. He was assisted by Elders Millen Atwood, Jacob Amanion, and Moses Clough. This chartered vessel was commanded by her part-owner, Captain Charles Collins. After a forty-one-day passage the Thornton arrived at New York City on 14 June. From there the Saints traveled by rail to Iowa City, and about five hundred of the emigrants organized a handcart company. However, their trek to Great Salt Lake City started late in the season and was marked by suffering and disaster. Over sixty Saints died on the historic journey, and the remainder arrived in a pitiful condition. The three-masted Thornton was built with three decks, a square stem, and a billethead. She was owned by Williams & Guion of New York City and in 1858 was listed in the Warren & Thayer Line. This ship traded in the Atlantic until she was lost at sea in 1869. Passenger List Sources: LDS Passenger List (Family History Library) Film: #025,691 U.S. Government Passenger List (Family History Library) Film: #175, 519 Identification Number on U.S. Government Passenger List: #490 List of Passengers Published in New York Newspaper, The Mormon (May 31, 1856) He died on 5 MAR 1917 at Ephraim, Sanpete County, Utah. He was buried on 8 MAR 1917 in Ephraim, Sanpete County, Utah. Burial in Park Cemetery. He has Ancestral File Number 1N9P-D9. Necessary Explanations: Husband: Lars Christian, and 6 older children known in earlly life as Petersen (Pedersen), Lars Christian endowed as Lars Petersen. #1 Caroline endowed as Caroline Hansen. Wife: Karen Juliane endowed as Karen Hansen. Parents: Hans PEDERSEN and Dorthea Christine CHRISTENSEN. Spouse: Karen Juliane HANSEN. Lars Christian HANSEN and Karen Juliane HANSEN were married on 19 JAN 1866 in Fairview, Sanpete County, Utah. Children were: Caroline HANSEN, Lewis Petersen HANSEN, Heber HANSEN, Olivia HANSEN, Thomine HANSEN, Richard HANSEN, Nephi HANSEN, Henry HANSEN, Anthone HANSEN, Eva Eliza HANSEN. Rootsweb,

Life timeline of Lars C Hansen

Lars C Hansen was born on 15 Dec 1839
Lars C Hansen was 1 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
Lars C Hansen was 20 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Lars C Hansen was 23 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
Lars C Hansen was 35 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
See More
Lars C Hansen was 43 years old when Krakatoa begins to erupt; the volcano explodes three months later, killing more than 36,000 people. Krakatoa, or Krakatau, is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic 1883 eruption.
See More
Lars C Hansen was 56 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
See More
Lars C Hansen was 64 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
See More
Lars C Hansen died on 5 Mar 1917 at the age of 77
Grave record for Lars C Hansen (15 Dec 1839 - 5 Mar 1917), BillionGraves Record 4936137 Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States