Michael Hansen

7 Jul 1849 - 8 Jan 1939

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Michael Hansen

7 Jul 1849 - 8 Jan 1939
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Michael Hansen (7 Jul 1849 - 8 Jan 1939) at Loa Cemetery in Loa, Wayne, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Michael Hansen
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Michael Hansen


Loa Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Loa, Wayne, Utah
United States


May 31, 2013


May 16, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Michael...

We found more records about Michael Hansen.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Michael


Michael Hansen is buried in the Loa Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Nome do Cemitério

Loa Cemetery

Endereço de cemitérios
Unnamed Rd
United States
Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Harold in America Pt 1 Transcript

Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

This is a transcript of a cassette recording of Harold Johansen telling his life story. The audio file is below here: Well, I compare, I came over here first of May 1914. Got away from Denmark before I was drafted in the army there and before First World War. War broke out in August of same year. I came to Loa with Uncle Michael and he was a good man, and he took good care of me. And got a job in Horse Valley and worked for good men. I would work for a dollar a day and Gene Neff would keep me when there wasn't much to do and let the other boys go home. and he was a good saint.I have been in good company all my life and it has given me a brighter outlook. I have been discouraged sometimes and made some bad breaks. Beware of discouragement. I lived in Horse Valley a year and a half and Gene had bought a ranch up by Sandy, and I went to work for him there. I worked for him until I was drafted in the army. 1917. And I went to Camp Lewis Sept 18, 1917. Stayed there two months and was transferred to Vancouverburg and stayed there for the winter. At that time the airplane was made out of wood...screws. and some enjoyed working in the woods and some were stuck/Struck [ed. labor strike] and delayed the war effort. And the army asked for volunteers to work in the wood. I had a bruder, Pratt Chappell. He volunteered, so I did also. That how I got into the Spruce Division. From Vancouverburg, we were sent down the Columbia River hundred miles to Astoria, where we were assigned in a sawmill. I loaded lumber in box cars. They sawed 144,000 feet some day. Pratt Chappell was at the same mill. We were together all the way true. A real buddy. Good Buddy, yeah! I was discharged from the Army Dec 18 ..1918, 15 months in the army. Come to Loa while the flu was here but didn't get it. Got a job driving truck with the (?) Loa Co-Op. I drove truck for about ten years. In 19(?) In 1921, in 1919, at the masquerade dance, a girl with a mask on, asked me for a dance and didn't know her, but walked her. And after she took the mask off I saw she was a good looking girl and I got interested. I saw her for another... I asked her for another dance and I don't remember just what happened. I probably took her home. walked and she invited me to come back and I did and I'd see her and another time I'd ask and she would ask me to come back and I kept a coming. and we got engaged the twenty first day of December and set our wedding for April first, April Food Day, 1920. She has been a real companion. Life in Denmark was good. I learned to work and it made me strong and I was thrilled to come to this country and getting a 160 Acre homestead and be a farmer and own a farm. My uncle Michael come to Denmark as a missionary. Had gold watch and gold chain and that is more than we saw in Denmark. So I decided to... to my... save my money for a ticket over here to later on I would have it made. The ticket was about $125. Meanwhile, the work was a great help to me. I could work almost steady without tiring. I could could I would grub brush, shovel ditch (?) brush, pitch hay and I was living it. We bought, I ... we bought a 80 acre farm for 4,000 and sold it for 40,000. I been a ward teacher all my life here in Loa. I been Secretary of the Mutual, been Scout Committeee Chairman, Counselor in the Sunday School superintendency, Sunday School Superintendent, counselor in the Bishopric, HIgh Counselor, Branch President, ... Mission... Branch President.

Michael Hansen's Mission.

Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Because my grandfather, Harold Johansen, mentioned him as part of his conversion and his mission in Denmark, I wanted to recorrd what I learned, about this good man.I had two sources that I drew from. A history of the Scandinavian Mission" by Andrew Jensen, told me that Michael entered the mission field in Denmark June 8, 1910. This was on page 430. I also looked at "Scandinavian Mission Manuscript History and Historical Reports: 1855-1920" to find further information. There were no page numbers, so just the dates can be used for references. The following are times he was mentioned in this record: April 2, 1911, Michael Hansen was made Brand President of Aarhus Branch with J. Lyman Nielsen, Claudias Holt Andrew M Anderson, & Peter Hansen as asst. Oct 8, 1911, Michael Hansen was sustained as Branch Pres. of Aarhus Branch Mar 31, 1912, Michael Hansen was released to go home. April 30, 1912, Michael Hansen left Denmark to go home. This was important to me as he had to have visited family between his honorable release and leaving Denmark. He made a big impression on his nephew, my grandfather. It was because of this meeting that my grandfather decided to follow his family to America and eventually become my maternal grandfather. He also joined the church because of this man, his mother's half brother.

Harold's story from daughter, WanaLu Johansen Burr

Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

OF EMIL HAROLD FREDERIK JOHANSEN Born of goodly parents, February 27, 1895 at Bjerge Mark Jylland Danmark.My father: Hans JohansenMy Mother: Helena Almina Hansen Grandfather: Johan Nielsen Grandfather:.Hans Dinesen Grandmother: Kirsten Christoffersen, Grandmother:Ane Frederika Sorenson G Gfather:Niels Rasmussen, G Gfather: Soren Jensen G Gmother: Anne Marie Christensen, G Gmother: Helene Frederik Datter G. G.Gfather:Rasmus Nielsen, G.G. Gmother: Christen Hansen Smed. We lived on a small Farm 10 Acre. We had a horse, 2 cows we milked, one goat, one pig, 1 horse, 2 sheep, and 12 chickens.Birth dates of my oldest Brother and sisters: Andreas Johan, 7 August 1890, Martha Kirsten Frederika, December 4 1891, Marie Inger Sofia, August 28 1893, myself, 27, February 1895, Salamon Christoffer, January 7, 1897, he died at theAge of 9 years old of diphtheria, Hans Christian Joseph, January 1907. Very little do I know about my father. I understand he left Danmark and came to the United States in his younger days and got hurt here by overworking and came back to Danmark and married mother in 1888. He was born July 31, 1853. He would be 35 years old when he married. Mother was born March 23 1864 and would be 25 year old when married. Father died January 26, 1899 so after 10 years of marriage; mother was a widow with 5 children. I was 4 years old when dad died. The county helped her with support. Mother would sew clothes for a living. She also worked in a garden. We were healthy children and it kept mother busy buying rye bread and food to eat Most of the time I could have eaten one more slice, but got along with what we had.I stayed in the country and tended cows. Us kids had to get out and work . I was hired out when I was 9 years old and never stayed home after that. I would come home twice a month and mother knew that I liked ‘pandekager’ hotcakes for dinner so she would cook them for me. Andreas Johan went out and worked for our neighbor Rasmus Beck. He had 8 cows and Johan took care of. Mother belonged to the Baptist church and would go to meeting and leave us kids at home. One time when she had gone, we nearly burned the house down. We got the fire out and saved the house. The house we lived in was called( bilet). While we lived in this house, Cousin Hans R. Hansen came to Denmark on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mother and Johan joined the church. They knew it was the true church. We Kirsten (Inge), me was baptized to the Luthern Church. We weren’t baptized as infants, but I was Sprinkled and given the name of Emil as suggested by the pastor. Mother liked to go to conference and it was on such occasion I went with her to Aarhus that I was baptized and Martha and Inger also joined the church. Standley Rasmusen of Draper baptized me into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in September 28, 1913. I went to school in Bjerge Jylland from the time was 7 years old till I was 14.School days were good to me. One time we were allowed to have a couple of hours in the forest. We chose up sides and we played soldiers and robbers. I was on the side of robbers and they would hide and the soldiers would find us. The trees were close enough that we could swing from one tree to the next and I was doing that and one tree I swung to was somewhat shorter that the one I was in and the top broke and I fell head down and hurt my neck and was unconscious also. The rest of the class walked me home but I came too and got well again. I was around 7 years old. I went to school 3 ½ days a week in the summer and 5 full days in the winter. The days I stayed in the winter, I would help thresh grain and I would get very tired, but I learned one part of life, (WORK) and that has been a great blessing to me. I learned to tell the truth also.One time I went to bed before Johan and I had locked the door and when Johan came, he couldn’t get in and he couldn’t wake me. He got quite excited, but he finally woke me and I took the lock off the door. Mother was praying to come to Zion and for a long time it looked hopeless. Us kids were saving, but it took a long time to have enough money for a ticket, but finely I had enough and came over by myself in April 1914. In 1903, mother sold our home (bilet) again and moved to Horsens, rented a place in Gronegade and I didn’t want to go to the city and my brother Johan worked in a place that took me in, Jens Samualsen. I helped (med) with the cows; there were maybe 18 cows, a few sheep at that time. One night in the fall of the year, I was sent out to get some of the cows. The days were short and it got dark maybe by 7 or 8 O’clock. I was to(chance) check the sheep while I went for the cows, but I let the sheep go and just brought the cows home. The boss asks me if I had (changes) checked the sheep, I told him I had. He ask me if any of them were lost, I hold him “no” then he told me they were all lost, and that was it. I started to bawl and decided not to tell a lie again and since then I have been tempted, but I didn’t yield and that was and has been a real blessing to me. I stayed there that year and most of the next year till Nov 1, 1904. At that date I moved to Rasmus Beck and worked for him 1-½ years till May 1st 1906. Then I moved to Kristoffer Kristoffersen for 1-½ years. I then moved to Soren Sorensons November 1st 1907 and worked there 3 years till November 1st 1910. I then moved out to Rasmus Beck again for 2 years. November 1, 1912 I moved to Peter Petersons in Braa (Dallykegaard) and worked for 325 Krones. That year November 1913 I worked as a day worker till March and at that time I prepared to come to Utah. I sailed from Estberg April 1st to England and from England to St. John Canada and arrived in Loa May 1st 1914 ‘to the Promised Land’. In August 1914 the world war broke out and for 4 years the family had to stay where they were, but after that Inger, Andreas, Mathilda, Martha, Hans and mother came to Utah. Her dreams had come true. Us kids bought mother a small house here in Loa and there she lived the rest of her life. She even found her a sweetheart and married Hans Ernsten. I wanted to homestead and get to farming. I came to live with Uncle Michael and Benjamin Hansen. Tirza Hansen was on a mission at that time. I got a job in Horsevalley after I came to Utah. I worked for Eugene and Frank Neff. I worked for $1 a day and board, grubbing brush, pulling brush, shoveling ditches, pitching hay, and irrigating. War broke out in Europe 2nd August 1914 and the United States declared war April 6th 1917. I was drafted in the army September 18, 1917 and spent 1 year 3 months in the army and got home before Christmas 1918. Army life was good for me in many ways. It was wartime, 1st World War, and every able boy was drafted and the army was popular. It helped me to come out of my shell, anyone wearing a uniform was popular. We boys were sent to Camp Lewis, Washington State and there was tough Army formation drills. There were 7 boys in the draft September 18th 1917 from Wayne Co. Benjamin Hansen, Pratt Chappell, Lester Coombs, Otis Jones, Frank Forsyth, Emanual Wayman, and me. Pratt Chappell and I stayed together all the way and I enjoyed being with him and being his buddy. A good buddy is great in the Army and Pratt was a good buddy. While we were in Camp Lewis we volunteered to join the Spruce Division and in December we were sent to Vancouver, Barrick Washington and in the spring we were sent to Astoria, Oregon to work in a sawmill. My work there was loading railroad cars with lumber and there we stayed the rest of our time. After I came out of the army, I got a job driving truck, hauling freight for the Loa Co-op. The Co-op bought a 3 ½ ton truck’ federal’ and I hauled freight from Salina and I would haul pigs from Loa to Salina and wool in the spring from here to Sigurd. Scott McClellan and Henry Callahan were the bosses in the co-op and they were good to work for. I got along well there. I made 3 trips a week over and load up Monday and back the next day and unload. I carried my bed and slept wherever night would over take me and had a grub-box so I could eat whenever I got hungry. The Loa Co-op furnished the grub and I enjoy the work. I worked in the store till 1929. The Co-op went broke in 1926 and then I worked for George C. Brinherhoff and Isaac Wax and George Haney. I lived with Uncle Michael till I got married 1st of April 1920. My sweetheart lived in Loa and her name was Loa Arintha Taylor0 I bought a house and we moved in there. In 1930 we moved to the Sandy Ranch in Garfield County and worked there raising turkeys for a year. Then we moved back to Loa and in 1931 we traded our home in town to Axsel Ernsten for his 80-acre farm and lived there. Axel had a mortgage on the farm for $2200, and he was loosing out and couldn’t pay the taxes and when I got it the mortgage was $2700 and we traded our home in town and it was worth about $1500. We had to pay the mortgage on the farm. We paid some each year till it was paid off. We built a basement and later built a home on the basement. To start with I got a horse with a promise to raise a colt for pay. The horse was $15 and I had a team. Uncle Michael gave me a harness, wagon and plow. We had 2 cows, 1 heifer, and one calf and a doggy lamb. We raised 7 children, Emil, Arden, Owena, Lella Vee, Wana Lu, Larry and Harold Jr. At the time Lella Vee was a baby we made $365 the first year. We bought a buggy for $15 and we would take the family in it where we need to go. Our farm improved and we accumulated as the year went by. We put a sprinkler system in and filled in all the ditches. We had smooth ground and it cost about $8500, but it was better and it paid off. We had it all paid for before we sold it in 1969 to Kay Peterson and we had enough money to buy a new Ford car’Fairlane’. Emil wrecked on a motorcycle and died. The rest are all married and have families. Loa and me live in our home we built 2 miles East of Loa. In 1959, my wife and I went on a mission to Seaside Oregon. It was a great mission. When we were ready to come home, two of our daughters and families came to Oregon to pick us up. Before we sold the farm, in 1972 we visited Denmark. We flew from Salt Lake to Kobenhawn. Andreas came with us. He had spent 2 years on a mission in Denmark and he knew how to get around. He also knew some of our family over there and we spent 30 days over there. Denmark was beautiful and green and we visited many places. The date now is April 1978. I am 83 years old. I am in good health. {The last three years of their life together, they spent in Mayfield at the Mayfield Manor. Dad died May 8, 1991 at the age of 96. Loa died at her daughters home in Burrville, Utah at the age of 92. }

Life timeline of Michael Hansen

Michael Hansen was born on 7 Jul 1849
Michael Hansen was 10 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Michael Hansen was 11 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Michael Hansen was 25 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Michael Hansen was 38 years old when Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show opens in London. William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody was an American scout, bison hunter, and showman. He was born in Le Claire, Iowa Territory, but he lived for several years in his father's hometown in Toronto Township, Ontario, Canada, before the family returned to the Midwest and settled in the Kansas Territory.
Michael Hansen was 46 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Michael Hansen was 54 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Michael Hansen was 65 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Michael Hansen was 71 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Michael Hansen died on 8 Jan 1939 at the age of 89
Grave record for Michael Hansen (7 Jul 1849 - 8 Jan 1939), BillionGraves Record 4046355 Loa, Wayne, Utah, United States