Myrl J Anderson

28 Jun 1899 - 7 Apr 1991

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Myrl J Anderson

28 Jun 1899 - 7 Apr 1991
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Speaking of her parents (Mary Mabel Allred and James Francis Johnson) Myrl wrote: They made their home in Nephi (Arizona) and on June 28, 1899, I (Myrl Johnson) was born in this house. Two years later in the same house my sister Armrel was born on the 6 August 1901. At that time they were making pla
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Myrl J Anderson
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Myrl J Anderson

Casado(a): 9 Nov 1918

Barnwell Cemetery

Township Road 95
Taber, Division No. 2, Alberta


Together Forever


October 18, 2014


September 28, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Myrl J...

We found more records about Myrl J Anderson.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Myrl J


Myrl J Anderson is buried in the Barnwell Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Myrl Johnson's Birth, Move to Canada, and Her Early Memories

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Speaking of her parents (Mary Mabel Allred and James Francis Johnson) Myrl wrote: They made their home in Nephi (Arizona) and on June 28, 1899, I (Myrl Johnson) was born in this house. Two years later in the same house my sister Armrel was born on the 6 August 1901. At that time they were making plans to go by team and wagon to Canada. It was very hard to leave their home and go into an unknown country. And so on March 27, 1902 at 4 p.m. they climbed into their covered wagons and headed north. My father, just a young man of twenty-four, led the caravan all the way. This is where my childhood memories started. One day as we travelled along a valley at wolf creek, they spotted a deer standing a short distance away on a small hill. I can remember seeing it as my father shot and killed it. It made plenty of meat for all the company for awhile. Another time I burned my leg and I can just see Aunt Clara, Uncle Mark's wife, beating up the white of an egg and putting on it. I remember the team we drove all the way. Doll was a bay mare and Jeff was a black horse. It took three months to make the long journey and I remember the day we landed in Raymond. It was Dominion Day, the 1st day of July 1902. They were having a big celebration. We had only our tents and wagon to live in for awhile, and then my father built us a one roomed house. Shortly after this old Doll got stuck in a mud hole south of Raymond, and died, leaving us one horse. In a few years father built a kitchen on the back of the house and mother planted beds of pansy's out in the front. I loved to sit and play by them. One bed had all blue pansy's in it. The others were all mixed colors. This is the first home we had in Canada and the first home I can remember. Soon after we moved into it Uncle Marlin and Aunt Rhoda came from Arizona and lived there with us for a while. Aunt Rhoda played the guitar and they would spend the evenings singing and we all enjoyed it so much. I remember Uncle Marlin saying he had twenty-five cents in his pocket he had carried around for weeks. Money was scarce in those days, so he decided he would spend it for some meat, so he got on his horse and rode up to the store and went in and bought some hamburger. When he came out to go home there was twenty-five cents lying on the ground by his horse. So he had the meat and his money back. I remember Mother and Dad and Uncle Marlin and Aunt Rhoda going out to thin beets. They would crawl along and Armrel and I would ride on their backs. After a while Uncle Marlin bought a little house south across the canal from us and they moved over there to live. I've heard my mother tell about the first winter they lived here. She hung her washing out and when it froze she didn't know what was wrong so she brought it all back in and washed it again, trying to find out what was wrong with it. Coming from such a hot country, they almost froze to death learning how to prepare for the winters.

Myrl Johnson's Childhood Memories

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Talking about the birth of her younger brother, Myrl writes: Sheldon was born in this little house 27 July 1904. And we were so happy to have a brother. I can remember how all the family made such a fuss over him. In the same little house in Raymond on the 13 of November 1906 Arvilla was born. It was a cold stormy night. The snow was falling and the wind was howling hard. We were thrilled to have a baby sister. She was so cute and fat. In a few years the grandparents on both sides of the family came to Canada, Grandma Allred and the rest of her family stayed with us and Grandpa and Grandma Johnson lived in a house on the lot just north of us. It was good to have them all so close by. I started school in September 1906. I was always so bashful I dreaded going alone. We lived about three blocks from the school and mother would have to walk up with me almost every morning, but a year later when Armrel started everything was all right. Mother always dressed us both alike and everyone asked if we were twins. In 1908 father took up a homestead in Barnwell and in 1909 we moved down here to live. Grandma Allred bought a home in Raymond and stayed there with the rest of her family, Milford, Myrtle and Cyril. The house in Barnwell had three rooms and it was very nice. The prairie around us was big and bare of trees but covered with long grass. We could see for miles in all directions but it was home and we loved it. When you grow up with the sun and the wind and the space of the prairies, something of their freshness and freedom stays with you always. Wind! Wind! There always seemed to be wind on the prairies. The feel, sound and smell of it, are embedded in my childhood memories. We came in the spring and signs of new life were everywhere: young colts, calves, chickens and pigs and green grain. Cora was born that first spring 24 March 1909. She was so little and cute. That made four girls and one boy in the family then. I loved the bright sunny days. The birds that sang and the gophers that seemed to be everywhere. There were lots of wild animals then. The trains were something we hadn't seen before but now we watched them from the Eastern horizon. To the west, a long string of Hack cars and the smoke trailing far into the sky. We didn't go to school the first two years after we came here as we didn't like to walk so far alone. It was a little over two miles away but after we started we didn't mind the walk at all. But we looked forward to the summer holidays. On the 29 May 1911 Frank was born in Raymond. Mother went over and stayed a month with Grandma Allred. The school house was used for church and parties, so it was a very important place to all of us. Grandpa and Grandma Johnson took a homestead here (in Barnwell) and moved down just before we did, and he had the post office and the only little store for a while. Later he sold it all and moved onto another piece of land. A corner of my heart treasures an affection for that little country store as it was more than a store but a place for friends to meet and visit. There were no telephones then. I remember the summer winds, hot and dry, holding both the threat of hail and the promise of rain. It seemed like we always needed rain. Long days with the added delight of picnics, baseball and summer sports, and the great rolling prairies of ripening grain. And then there were the hard times and bad days, dust storms that could turn the world grey or sombre black and drive men and animals for shelter and cause lines of worry in my fathers face.

Grandma Allred and Uncle Cyril

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told by Myrl Johnson in her memoirs: One of my fondest memories were the times when Grandma Allred and Uncle Cyril came to visit us. The road from the community to Raymond ran past our house and so we were always watching those who travelled back and forth, always by team and wagon. One cold day in winter we saw a wagon come over the hill at Chin Coulee and hoped it would be Grandma and sure enough it was Grandma and Uncle Cyril. They were so cold, but after they had got warmed up and had dinner we really had a wonderful visit. They stayed until the cold spell passed over before going home to Raymond again. Uncle Milford and Uncle Cyril came over in the spring and helped Dad break the horses.

Prairie Life

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told by Myrl Johnson in her memoir: I remember a big russian thistle that grew on our farm, just separate by itself. It was about two feet high and three feet across it and we kids called it our tree. We used to take our lunch and sit by it and have a picnic. One morning when we woke up our Dad had burned it up so it wouldn't go to seed. We sure missed it. We always planted wild cucumber vines around the house. I think one of the things that kept us healthy was the wild rose berries we ate. I have learned since that they are very rich in vitamins. I remember the big prairie fires that swept across the prairie, how they would light up the countryside at night. I remember in the spring time when all the prairie was green with grass and grain and wild roses grew everywhere. Meadow larks sat on the fence posts and sang. There were no trees but in the summer there were flowers. Some years were so dry that none of the flowers grew. I think of the beautiful fall weather and shifting fall winds bringing warm days and cool nights. The big sky. The nip of frost in the air. The crowning glory of golden grain and the excitement of harvest. The whirring of binders and the growing regiments of stocks stretching across the fields. Thrushing outfits and crews moving onto the farm, sometimes at night to the accompaniment of waving lanterns, the shouts and laughter of men. The bustling preparations in the house with much cooking and preparation of field lunches. Always the anxious questions: Is it running? How will it grade? Will the weather hold? Which way is the wind? I loved the big straw stacks with their clean yellow straw. The big grain wagons with four or five head of horses on could be seen for miles going to the elevators. I remember Dad bringing cases of fruit and stacking them in the kitchen and mother canning and making gallons of jam. She made lots of tomato preserves which was really good. And then there were the years when drought came and we had no crop to harvest and not much money to buy anything with. But the government came to the aid of the people. They sent out molasses in bulk, so we took our pails and got them full of it, and it was so good and helped us through. But we never gave up hope. They plowed up the land and started over again. I never worried as Mother and Dad were always there to look after us and somehow we always seemed to have plenty. And then Winter, a glistening white world spread out before our eyes. Miles and miles of it with just the fences and the elevator in the distance. The main way of travel was the sleigh. We had sleigh rides to school with brothers, sisters and neighbors. Straw and blankets on the bottom of the sleigh box. Sleigh bells jingling and the sharp crunch of snow beneath the runners. Your breath an instant white in the frosty air. There were moon night rides too, with a pale blue light surrounding us as we made visits, went to a dance, or the Christmas concert. Winter wind was made visible to the eye by the snow drifting across the ground, the curlicues that grew into driving blizzards. The howling wind would rattle doors and windows of the house. But inside with the fires going, everything was cozy. We children did our homework by lamp light or read books while father read the paper and mother did the family mending until it was time to be off to bed.

School Days

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told by Myrl Johnson from her memoirs: When we first started to school we walked a mile north then across section 29 from the west corner to the north east corner which made it over two miles. On this section which was all grass, there was a big pond where all the stock in the country came to water, as there were always a lot of cattle feeding there and I was always afraid of them. In a few years the school house moved a mile south so we just had two miles to walk then with a good road along a fence, and we really enjoyed it. Our school days were happy ones, on Wednesday afternoons there was always sports for the whole community. We were all so close in our friendship.

Trip to Waterton

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told by Myrl Johnson in her memoir: In 1912 we took a trip to Waterton Lakes for two weeks. The weather at home turned dry and hot so we couldn't do any more on the farm. So, the LeBaron families and Uncle Ben and Aunt Zella and family and our family went. The men fished and we picked wild strawberries and did a lot of hiking. It rained a lot but having this good house we were warm and dry. When we got back home, it had rained there and Uncle Cyril who had stayed to look after things, had planted the oats and barley and finished the summer fallow, so it worked out to be a wonderful summer for all of us. I remember Parley Palmer had a keg of root beer on the side of his wagon and each had lots of cake and cookies made, which really went good after those long hikes we made.

Teenage Years

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told by Myrl Johnson in her memoir: When I reached my teens I felt very grown up, and we had more responsibility at home helping with the family and the housework. I started to mutual and we had a Bee Hive class. It was the first year that Bee Hive work had been tried in the Church. All the girls and their mothers went together. We learned so much and had a lot of fun. We held the meeting in our homes, sometimes we walk two or three miles to meetings, where we served and cooked and did all the things that were outlined to do. We went to church and dances and parties. We went to a dance one beautiful moonlight night and when we got home Florence was there, just 2 hours old. It was the 20th of November, 1917. She was so tiny and cute with dark curls and brown eyes. This same Fall (1917) Armrel and I cooked on the cook car for the threshing crew of about thirty men. It was a frightening experience for us but with the help of Mother and Dad we got along real good and had fun.

Myrl Johnson and Hillman Anderson Wedding Memories

Colaborador: tfinney22 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As written by Myrl Johnson's in her own memoir: On the evening of the 9th of November, 1918, we were married at my home by Bishop Lawrence Peterson, an uncle of Hillman's. Both families gathered together for the occasion. After the ceremony Mother served a lovely supper. We sang songs and enjoyed the evening together very much. About 9 o'clock we went to our new home which was Uncle Niels Anderson's house. It was just one half mile north of our place and we lived there the rest of the winter. We bought a new cook stove and a kitchen cabinet which were our first new pieces of furniture. That winter we took care of Uncle Niels place and watered his horses every day. He paid us fifteen dollars a month. The winter was very mild making it grand for getting out and having a good time and we really enjoyed it. We had two horses and sometimes we would ride them and sometimes drive them on the buggy. We went skating and riding and driving and dancing and anything we wanted to do all that winter. No cares or anything to worry about. The next spring about the middle of March we rented Tony Peterson's farm, so we moved over there to live. When we moved we bought a new bed and a dining room table and chairs. That first year we farmed 160 acres and planted it into wheat. It kept us very busy. The crop came up and looked beautiful until in June the weather turned dry and hot. It didn't rain for a long time and everything began to burn and turn brown. By Fall everything was burnt to the ground. There wasn't a thing left even for the horses and cattle. In August, when we could see there wasn't going to be any harvest, Hillman went to Coaldale to work on a thresher. He was gone about a month and earned fifty dollars. While he was gone one of our horses (Molly) was killed on the railway track. Without telling him I went to the C.P.R. about it and they paid me seventy-five dollars for her which was a surprise to Hillman. He didn't expect to get anything. That was all the money we had to live on that winter. I remember the family went to Coaldale and dug potatoes on shares.

Life timeline of Myrl J Anderson

Myrl J Anderson was born on 28 Jun 1899
Myrl J Anderson was 4 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Myrl J Anderson was 13 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Myrl J Anderson was 29 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Myrl J Anderson was 40 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Myrl J Anderson was 46 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
Myrl J Anderson was 58 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Myrl J Anderson was 66 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Myrl J Anderson was 78 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Myrl J Anderson was 82 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
Myrl J Anderson died on 7 Apr 1991 at the age of 91
Grave record for Myrl J Anderson (28 Jun 1899 - 7 Apr 1991), BillionGraves Record 11062068 Taber, Division No. 2, Alberta, Canada