Nathan Smith

1 Mar 1835 - 20 Jan 1909

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Nathan Smith

1 Mar 1835 - 20 Jan 1909
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Nathan Smith (1 Mar 1835 - 20 Jan 1909) at Smithfield City Cemetery in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Nathan Smith
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Nathan Smith


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


May 15, 2012


May 3, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about NATHAN...

We found more records about Nathan Smith.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of NATHAN


Nathan Smith is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Colaborador: Linda54 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

He ate a sandwich once. I'm pretty sure.

Jane Sant

Colaborador: Linda54 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Jane Sant was born in Middlewich, England in 1866. She was sent to school at a young age and because she learned so quickly, she was kept in school while her other brothers and sisters were sent to work in factories to help earn a living for their family. Jane had lots of friends because she was a happy, kind person with a pleasant smile. One day two the LDS missionaries, from America, came to her home. Soon the family was baptized. Jane was about 14 years old. They wanted to come to Zion so they started saving their money. Jane and her mom fixed up an "America Box,” and everyone put every penny they could into the box. They had porridge (hot cereal) for many meals and they stopped eating candy, to save money to go to America. After Jane she was baptized a member of the LDS Church, she was forced out of school and her friends and school teachers turned against her. The family left for America in 1860. Jane and one of her sisters did cabin work to help pay for their trip. Jane became very sea sick and she was afraid that she would die and be fed to the fishes, so the Mormon Elders prayed for her. They landed safely in New Orleans. Then they began their trek across the plains to get to the Salt Lake Valley. With what money they had, they bought a cow for milk, some eggs, bacon, and flour. They walked day after day in the hot sun and dusty roads. One day when Jane was feeling sick from lack of food, she lay down by a bush and fell asleep, when the wagons stopped for a rest. As the wagon train started again, no one noticed that she was not with them until they stopped to camp for the night. As soon as they realized she was gone, everyone prayed that they could find her before dark. The Indians were on the war path at this time and so everyone feared for Jane's safety. Jane's father and other men went back along the trail to try and find her. In the meantime, Jane had been awoken by the howling of wolves. She was very frightened that the wolves would eat her or that the Indians might get her. Her father was praying and crying out for his dear daughter, Janie. She heard his voice and got up and tried to run to the voice, but from fear and weakness she fell down, just as her father saw her from a distance. It was nearly dark. Her father ran and picked her up in his arms and carried her back to camp. Prayers of thanks were offered for Jane's safe return. A few days later, when they were almost out of food, a wagon, coming from the opposite direction, pulled up to them. The driver had supplies for them and the others in their wagon train. His name was Nathan Smith and had been sent on a mission to help those trying to get to Salt Lake. He was a tall, handsome young man with sparkling eyes. Later, Jane told her sister that she was going to marry that man. Jane's family settled in Smithfield, Utah and it just so happened that Nathan Smith lived in the same town. Jane and Nathan were married in 1861 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. They built a log cabin in Smithfiled, Utah and had 12 children. Jane wrote poems and had a beautiful singing voice.

Nathan Smith and Jane Sant, a Love Story

Colaborador: Linda54 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Nathan Smith was born in England. When he was seven years old his family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (1842) and set sail for Utah, where they settled in Nauvoo. They lived in Nauvoo for five years and his father worked on the temple, and Nathan assisted by carrying water to the workers. On 16 October 1847 the family started west for Utah. The family stopped in Ferryville near Council Bluffs to rest and recuperate. Nathan’s father William P Smith was called as Branch President over the Ferryville Branch so they stayed in the area for five years. In 1852 the family resumed their journey to Utah taking Captain Wheelock’s company. After coming to Utah Nathan got a job working for the pony express. In the spring of 1860 Nathan settled at Summit Creek later known as Smithfield. In the year of 1860, Nathan and others, were sent to assist some of the poor saints coming west. While out, they found another company coming west. Meanwhile, Jane and her family set sail from England. They arrived in New Orleans and joined a company coming west. This was the company that Nathan Smith met up with. He had a letter from Jane’s brother George Sant who was already in Utah living in what is now known as Smithfield. Nathan handed them the letter and looked into the hazel eyes of Janie. Nathan winked at her and then that long solemn look of “I must have seen you somewhere before.” Janie was spellbound and she never moved or spoke. Later Jane told her sister, “Today I met the man I am going to marry.” Her mother, who had overheard reminded Jane that she might not ever meet the man again, and besides he might already be married. “I don’t care if he has ten wives, if I ever marry it will be to that man,” said Jane. (Nellie Griffiths Quiney a granddaughter wrote- I imagine he might have made a dazzling impression on any girl with his tall and square physique and shining dark eyes. A genial disposition and capability radiating from him. In fact, I think he must have been a young man with personality plus.) Jane knew what she wanted and usually got it too. The Sants settled in Smithfield as their oldest son was already living there. (The fact that Nathan Sant lived there may have had nothing to do with it. Because it was said, that Jane had a way of getting whatever she wanted.) Jane was a gifted young lady who was quick to learn. She had been given schooling in England. She held a midwife and doctor’s certificate. She also taught other young immigrants who to spin and weave cloth. When Nathan Smith returned from his mission to help to get supplies to the poor Saints moving to Zion he returned to Smithfield. When Jane heard his voice again, she knew it at once. They let no grass grow under their feet when it came to getting married. Nathan and Jane were married 3 October 1861 they were first married by Jane’s father John Sant, who held the priesthood and the authority to marry. From there they rode to Salt Lake where they were sealed in the Endowment house. In their later years the couple separated, Nathan sold his log cabin and moved to Oxford, Idaho while Jane moved to a home in near her son Nathan Jr. in Cleveland, Idaho. Although they were separated they were never divorced. Neither one of them were the same again. In her declining years, Jane’s home burnt down along with her family records, writing and poems. Two weeks before her passing, Jane had a dream where Nate came and held her in his arms and oh how she cried, as if her heart would break. Her daughter Ann asked, “Would you be happy to go back to the time Nate held you?” Jane answered, “Nothing could make me so happy, the Queens of kingdoms could not know the joy this would give me.”

History of Treasureton Idaho Excerpt taken from the Book "The Trail Blazer", prepared and published by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, Franklin County Camp

Colaborador: Linda54 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Over on the Bear River Highway north of Preston in the midst of successful alfalfa and stock ranching district will be found Treasureton with a population of 300. In the fall of 1868, Wilson Robbins, Niels Georgeson, and Soren Hanson from Weston settled on the east bank of Battle Creek -- the place is now owned by David Sant. *Nathan Smith and George Sant Sr. with their families moved from Smithfield, Utah in 1871 and settled on the west branch of Battle Creek on the farm now owned by *D.P. Thomas. After living there one year, they moved a few miles west and settled on the farm owned by the Geddes brothers in the section known as Banida. Further south on the Creek, two French Canadians, Mr. Shaw and Peter Rasalle settled. These men later sold out to Alfred Rosciot, another French Canadian. In 1872 Niels Georgeson and Soren Hanson moved back to Weston, and Wilson Robbins moved further north into the place now owned by Dell Hymas; however, the original place was abandoned in July 1875. George Sant bought the old Robbins place and in the fall of 1875, Wilson Robbins went to Franklin and part of George Sant's family moved into his place to care for his stock. The winter of 1876 was a very severe one. After Christmas there was no travel with teams. In 1874 the terminus of the Utah-Northern Railroad was at Franklin, and James and Fred Atkinson, brothers, got the contract to carry mail once a week to Soda Springs from Franklin. They did not have much trouble until about Christmas. They could not get their horses as far as Rosciot's place, from whence they could use snow shoes the rest of the way. When they could not ford the river they had to go around by the Packer bridge. For that reason it often took an extra week to make the trip. In the fall of 1875, *William Treasure and family moved from Smithfield and settled on the hill near where the old creamery stands, and they too had to endure that hard winter. There was so much snow that the few people that lived in Gentile Valley were completely shut out as their only mode of travel was by means of snow shoes -- the long, narrow kind. On account of the hard winter the hay got scarce but on the south side of the hill where the snow had blown off there was a great deal of dried grass, and in March and April the stock were driven over the crust of the snow onto the bare hills. It took men, women, and children to help get them onto their feet. Mr. Robbins had 150 heard; George Sant and Mr. Treasure had some also, but all had to be helped up whenever they would lie down. On the first day of April 1876 George Sant Jr. measured the snow in the lane just north of where the meeting house now stands and it was exactly 2 feet deep. The weather did not break up until the latter part of April. There are a few still living who will never forget that winter. Spring came at last, however, and two more settlers came, *John Millington who settled on the Rosel Taylor place, and *Charles Williams who settled where Charles Shumway now resides. In the summer of 1878 the Utah-Northern Railroad extended its line. The terminus was just north of the Nathan Smith farm where a twon of tents and lumber houses sprang up as if by magic. The town was called Dunnville in honor of one of the railroad officials. It was a very busy railroad camp; there were stores, boarding houses, saloons, blacksmith shops, and everything that goes into making a thriving town. All freight for Montana was loaded there, and it made a very fine market for butter, eggs, cheese, and vegetables for the short time that the terminus was here. T. Morrison, one of the first settlers, applied for and got the contract to carry the mail from Dunnville to Soda Springs. William H. Homer was the sheriff in Oneida County at that time, and the people who were living on Battle Creek made application through him to get them a post office. This was granted, and as William Treasure lived on the mian road from Dunnville up through Gentile Valley, he was appointed post master, and sheriff Homer gave the place the name of Treasureton. When the place first settled, it belonged to Clifton Ward, but as a few more settlers came in George Sant Sr. was made presiding Elder. After a time the ward was organized and Benjamin Hymas was the first Bishop. (* names are of people who intermarried into the Sant family)

Life timeline of Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith was born on 1 Mar 1835
Nathan Smith was 5 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Nathan Smith was 25 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Nathan Smith was 28 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Nathan Smith was 40 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Nathan Smith was 53 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
Nathan Smith was 61 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Nathan Smith died on 20 Jan 1909 at the age of 73
Grave record for Nathan Smith (1 Mar 1835 - 20 Jan 1909), BillionGraves Record 1104022 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States