Nathan J Thornley

7 Feb 1895 - 1 Nov 1956

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Nathan J Thornley

7 Feb 1895 - 1 Nov 1956
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Written by his wife, Melvina Weeks Thornley, shortly before her death on March 2, 1970. Transcribed with corrections in spelling and punctuation. Nathan James Thornley was born February 7, 1895 to Samuel James and Hilda Holjeson Thornley in Smithfield, Utah. He was their first child born in a small
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Nathan J Thornley
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Nathan J Thornley


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


May 21, 2012


April 13, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Nathan J...

We found more records about Nathan J Thornley.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Nathan J


Nathan J Thornley is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



A History of Nathan James Thornley

Colaborador: sueshoffner Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Written by his wife, Melvina Weeks Thornley, shortly before her death on March 2, 1970. Transcribed with corrections in spelling and punctuation. Nathan James Thornley was born February 7, 1895 to Samuel James and Hilda Holjeson Thornley in Smithfield, Utah. He was their first child born in a small log house in the south part of Smithfield. The home was about one block south of the pea factory and it is where he lived most of his life. Granny Thornley lived with this family, and Nathan was very fond of his grandmother. He loved to help with doing things for her, as she could not get around much. He had two brothers and one sister. His brother Archie died very young. Nathan had many childhood playmates, as the neighbors all had large families and most of them were relatives as well as friends. They also had a large pasture and we would all gather there in the summer to play all kinds of games such as baseball, so we did not have to play on the streets as some do now. In winter evenings we would go to his home and pop some corn and make candy and open up the big table and play cards, tell jokes and enjoy our evenings very much. Nathan started school when he was six. The school he attended was on the corner of 3rd and Main. The teacher was not of our faith, but was very kind and good to them. She taught them reading, writing and arithmetic. This school was much closer than our newer school, so he attended it for two or three years before going to Summit School. Nathan always loved sports. When he was quite young his folks bought him a shot gun, and he could shoot with the best hunters in the valley. They used to practice target shooting one block west of his home. They also did blue rock shooting. Then when he got started hunting wild birds, he nearly always got his limit. He worked on the farm with his father all his life. He was taught at an early age to drive horses and he was a very good teamster. His father, having lost one eye, could not see well enough to drill beets and other row crops. So Nathan had to plant and also cultivate all the row crops when he was just a boy. He was very good at this job. He not only did it for their own farm but for many other farmers as well. Nathan loved ball games and other sports, dancing, shows and parties. He always loved to be with friends. When Nathan was sixteen, we were going to parties in different homes and that is where we met each other. It was at the home of Viola Collett, the house where Glen was born, that we first met. He told me many times that the first time he met me, he knew I was the one he wanted. We started seeing much of each other from that time on. We went to school at the same building. And he started dating me very soon after. We would go to dances, shows and parties and he would bring me a box of candy at least once a week until his sister Ruby told him that was all I wanted--the candy, and that I did not care for him. So he quit bringing me candy for about a month to see if she was right. When he found that I still would go with him, then he brought candy again. We had to walk almost everywhere that we went. Once in a while some of our friends would have a single buggy and another couple would take us for a buggy ride on a Sunday afternoon. We enjoyed this very much. He kept on coming to our home and we had a courtship which lasted almost three years. Then on January 14, 1914, we were married in Logan Court House. We had to go to Logan on the street cars. The tracks were not laid up through town so we had to go just below town and get on the car. When we came home that day, there was a group of our friends there to meet us with plenty of rice, which they threw at us. Our clothes were filled with rice. Mother Weeks had a wedding supper at her home for us that night. We got many nice presents and we dressed Nathan up in ladies clothes, put a black wig and glasses on him, and he was at the shower—the only man there. Asa was on a mission in the Southern States and we said he had sent this sister home to visit us and all the girls believed he was a woman until the party was almost over. Nathan worked very hard to make a good living for his family. In the fall of the year, he would help get their own crops harvested, then he would plow for other farmers then haul beets from the beet pile to make a little extra money. When Nathan was around forty years old, he had quite a bad sick spell. Doctors put him to bed several times for different kinds of fever. He would have a temperature every day and would become ill each afternoon and have to come home from work. It seemed as if the doctors could not get to the trouble until one day we took him to Salt Lake to a Dr. Tyrdale. He found Nathan had undulant fever. It had run almost five years and had damaged his heart very much. The doctor gave him some shots that seemed to help him, but he never was well from that time on. Nathan was always backward and did not dare take part in any church activities, but he went to Priesthood meetings very faithfully in the Second Ward when Lorenzo Toolson was bishop and also when the Third Ward was first organized. When they built the third Ward chapel, he helped with digging of the basement and other hard work. He and Milo Cantwell hauled all the sand and part of the gravel for the whole church. They had to go to the river with a team and wagon and shovel it all on by hand, so it took many days of hard work. Nathan did a lot of irrigating. One day he had gone to irrigate in the east fields. It was in the afternoon and he had set the water for a long set. Some Hyde Park men came along the upper road and asked him if he would like to go to the ball game, so he went to town to the game. Then he went back out to the field and did not come home for such a long time that I thought he had become ill, or maybe he had fallen into the canal. So I got one of the neighbor men to go with me up to the canal to find him. It was really quite a long walk and all uphill. We did not find him, so on our way back, there he was with the men, after a good ball game. At first I was really angry, then happy to see that he was OK. The man that walked with me said, “I didn’t know you were so in love with Nathan until now.” Nathan was not very well after he had that fever for so long a time, but he went on trying to do his share of the work on the farm until June. On Friday, June 13, 1951, he met with a serious accident. His right arm was broken and he was bruised badly. He was taken to the hospital for two weeks. They could not set his arm for a week. It was swollen so badly. Then when the doctor got it set, they put him in a cast, which was on for eight months. But it did not heal. Then a year later, he had to have another operation. They took a piece of bone out of his left leg and cut his arm and put the bone in it. Then there was another type of cast for about seven months. This was a very painful operation. He suffered very much as his heart and lungs were in poor condition and he had a very bad cough for several years before he passed away on November 1, 1956 at the age of 61. He was a good husband, kind and loving and a good father who always provided very well for his family. He set a good example before them. He was always honest and fair in his dealings with his fellow men. The last year or so of his life, he became so tired and discouraged that he felt he was not going to be here much longer, so he had all his property fixed up so at his death it would be for me to live on. He also gave me much advice as to what to do if I was left alone. In August of 1956, we took him to several doctors who were specialists in their fields of heart and lung diseases, but they could give him no relief. He just got weaker and weaker each week until the last few days it was so hard for him to breathe that we put him under oxygen. That made it better for him. I am trying to follow out his wishes to the best of my ability. It is very lonesome without him. Sometimes I find myself thinking I will have to get his advice on problems that come up in my everyday life. Some days it seems as if he is very near. And then there are times that it seems he has been gone for many, many years. But that is life for us who are left.

Life timeline of Nathan J Thornley

Nathan J Thornley was born on 7 Feb 1895
Nathan J Thornley was 9 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Nathan J Thornley was 17 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Nathan J Thornley was 26 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Nathan J Thornley was 45 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Nathan J Thornley was 47 years old when World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, intending to neutralize the United States Pacific Fleet from influencing the war Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Nathan J Thornley died on 1 Nov 1956 at the age of 61
Grave record for Nathan J Thornley (7 Feb 1895 - 1 Nov 1956), BillionGraves Record 1160706 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States