Peter Tidwell

27 Mar 1831 - 23 Mar 1909

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Peter Tidwell

27 Mar 1831 - 23 Mar 1909
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Peter Tidwell by Allen Hackworth Perhaps we may feel sorry for the pioneers because of their primitive conditions and many hardships. But of course there is another side to their story. America in the 19th Century provided a time of change and excitement, a time of new frontiers and adventures. Roas
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Peter Tidwell
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Peter Tidwell


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


May 3, 2012


April 3, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Peter...

We found more records about Peter Tidwell.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Peter


Peter Tidwell is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of Peter Tidwell

Colaborador: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Peter Tidwell by Allen Hackworth Perhaps we may feel sorry for the pioneers because of their primitive conditions and many hardships. But of course there is another side to their story. America in the 19th Century provided a time of change and excitement, a time of new frontiers and adventures. Roasted venison and potatoes tasted delicious in those days, as did melted butter on corn. And the sun felt good as it warmed sweethearts who watched boats float down the Mississippi River. The bees made clover honey which tasted scrumptious on hot rolls. And families laughed and played and dreamed together. Life was worth living. This was a time upon which we look back and romanticize in our movies and folk songs. Into a milieu of abundant, wild game, horses, pistols, cowboys, and Indians, Peter Tidwell was born in Illinois in 1831 to Absalom Tidwell and Elizabeth McBride. Not too long after Peter was born, Absalom began articulating a new dream. There had been talk in the neighborhood of new lands opening up in Iowa. The word was “this is fertile and choice ground.” Up until now, Iowa had only been a wilderness, inhabited by numerous bands of Indians. Absalom might have asked Elizabeth, “Do you think you’d like to shove over into Iowa? I hear tell of lots of good land. But a man’s got to jump when the fire’s hot. So, what da ya think, Elizabeth?” “Heavens, Absalom, how can we survive in Indian Territory? We have children. We’ve already lost three. And thank the Lord, he’s let us keep three. But I’ve got friends here in Randolph. Oh Absalom, Illinois a good spot.” “Well ya know what’s happened, Elizabeth. While back, the Indians were real sore and fought back, led by Black Hawk. But peace is comin’. Negotiatin’s goin’ on.” On the banks of the Mississippi in a tent, the U.S. treaty makers and Indians met to end the Black Hawk War. It was agreed that in exchange for a narrow strip of land about 50 miles wide, running north and south along the Mississippi River of present-day Iowa, monies and goods would be paid. The payment to the Indians would be $20,000 per year for 30 years. Also, to those Indian families who had lost men during the Black Hawk War, cattle and abundant portions of salt, pork, flour, and corn were given. Also, accumulated debts of around $40,000 which had been levied against the Indians would be forgiven. After the “Black Hawk Purchase” was ratified by Congress in February, by June 1st 1833 settlers started moving into Iowa. This same year Absalom and family moved into Iowa. But along with the new settlers, the Mormon missionaries came. They taught Absalom and Elizabeth the gospel. Absalom and Elizabeth believed the message and joined the LDS Church in 1833. At the time, Peter was three. The family remained in Iowa for the next few years, and two more children were born, William in 1835 and Martha in 1836. But in late 1836 or early 1837, the family move to Jackson County, Missouri where another child, Sarah, was born. But the stench of unrest hung low in the air. Around 1837, bitterness and hostilities forced the saints to flee from Missouri to Illinois. In Missouri the Saints’ oppression was intensified by weak men who held public office, for example, Missouri Governor Lilburn W. Boggs. On October 27, 1838, he signed a heinous document which historians call the “extermination order.” It reads: "The Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated, or driven from the State, if necessary for the public peace" (quoted in History of the Church, 3:175). Peter was six. Along with thousands of other Saints, the Tidwells worked their way to Nauvoo and stayed in the region for the next few years. While in Nauvoo in 1845, Absalom died leaving Elizabeth three sons and four daughters all under the age of 14. Partial completion of the Nauvoo Temple allowed about 6,000 saints to attend the Nauvoo Temple for sacred, religious purposes and on January 22, 1846, Elizabeth had her temple work done. Soon thereafter, the saints began their exodus from Nauvoo. Peter was 15. Imagining some of the experiences of these people, I wrote the following: Clouds are forming in the East; Blackened skies suggest no peace. Thunder rumbles rock the ground. Powder burns; the bullets pound. Curses angry start a fight; Riders raiding in the night. Fires are raging; homes are burned; Hopes are crushed; the Saints are spurned. It’s America; we should be free But the people run; they’ve got to flee – to a new land under western skies, to a new land in the mountains high, to a new land. Homes are lost; the mountains are sure. We will slice that prairie floor With our wagon wheels, With our handcart wheels We know how it feels – to go -- Tripping along with Company B; Morning crossed o’er the Mississippi. Well the river is tame in the winter time; Sugar Creek camp is down the line. February in ‘46 Well we left Nauvoo in an awful fix. Chorus: Sugar Creek tickle. Sugar Creek tickle. Grab your gal and stamp your feet; This bouncing dance just can’t be beat. Hold your honey then spin her around; Laugh and sing, make a happy sound. Times were bitter; we felt the cold. West keeps calling but the winter is old. And the storms were raw in April and May. Kept us huddled up another day. Tears were flowing, then Brigham said, Dance the Sugar Creek tickle and get out of bed. Chorus Cattle start pulling the the early light. To make twelve miles is a mighty fight. Council Bluffs on the Missouri Is temporary quarters for you and me. We’ll fire up the kettle and lift our heels; We’ll dance the Sugar Creek tickle, Oh, you know how it feels. Chorus The young lad, Peter, with his mother, sisters and brothers, experienced Sugar Creek and moved on to Winter Quarters and Pleasant Grove. [See map.] At Pleasant Grove, the family stayed for a few years to make preparations for the trek west. During this time of preparation at Pleasant Grove, Peter met his sweetheart, Sophronia Hatch. Her family was also staying there and making preparations. When Peter visited with the Josephus Hatch family at Pleasant Grove, he found the Hatches and Tidwells had similar yearnings, albeit they had joined the church in different locations. Telling their stories one to another opened a world of common sympathy. That along with the natural attraction of a 21-year-old male for a beautiful 17-year-old female caused Sophronia and Peter to fall in love. Their dialogue may have been similar to this: “Sophronia, how did your family first join the church?” “Oh, it started early.” “Well, where were you living when you first heard the gospel taught?” “We lived In Vermont. My family farmed in Bristol. When I was six, Elder Sisson Chase came to us, and that’s how it started. The message he brought made all the difference. Although Father had a beautiful farm, all he could talk about was ‘being with the saints.’ It took some time to sell things, but in three years, in 1842, we took our journey to join the saints in Nauvoo, traveling 1,153 miles from Bristol to Nauvoo. It took us six weeks from June to August.” [As one studies the stories, one finds inconsistencies. For example, the Josephus Hatch history says the family left Bristol for Nauvoo in the fall of 1843. Yet in a short history by Sophronia, she gives the date as June 1842. But the general outline is reliable. A.H.] “Did others in your family join?” “Yes they did. In addition to my sister, Mary Rebecca who was 14 at the time, my Grandfather and Grandmother Hatch [Jeremiah Hatch and Elizabeth Haight] joined. Also, Father’s brother, Hezikiah and his family joined, plus Mother’s brother, Francillo Durfee. Then we left Nauvoo.” In Pleasant Grove, as Peter and Sophronia visited, they remembered life in Nauvoo. They remembered that the Saints were sad to leave their homes, farms, orchards, city, and temple, yet the people desired a place of refuge. Consequently, the dream of peace in the West was strong. That same yearning was expressed by Brigham Young in a letter sent to President James K. Polk in 1846: "We would esteem a territorial government of our own as one of the richest boons of earth, and while we appreciate the Constitution of the United States as the most precious among the nations, we feel that we had rather retreat to the deserts, islands or mountain caves than consent to be ruled by governors and judges whose hands are drenched in the blood of innocence and virtue, who delight in injustice and oppression." (quoted in B.H. Roberts, A Comprehensive History of the Church, 3:89-90). Later, after Sophronia and Peter had reached Utah, Sophronia looked back and described leaving Nauvoo. She said, “We had difficulty in getting started -- my father having had a horse stolen. We took what we could in one wagon and left our home in 1846 — our family consisting of father, mother, grand-parents, my sister Mary and one brother [William Edson], and myself and mother's niece — her mother having died and her father [Francillo] had gone to the Battalion. I was then twelve years of age. After crossing the Mississippi River, and while we were trying to locate the place where Cousin Jerry Hatch had stopped at which was called Mississippi River, as we were journeying along our wagon tipped over spilling most of our things. My sister at once went and found the place and Jerry came with a yoke of cattle and helped us, and we again started on our way. When we arrived at Zion, we spent a very happy evening — to think we were there among friends. There were five families there in a little log room. The week after we were there, mother was confined in a tent where they had to dig trenches to keep the water from running over her, it rained so hard. Baby was born September 24, 1846. We stopped there two or three weeks, then moved to a place called Sugar Creek. It was a place in the woods where all kinds of timber grew, and it was there that Father learned to make baskets. He would take a load to Montrose every week; so you see the way the Lord blessed us, helping us to earn our daily bread. My mother and sister were sick all that winter, so it fell to me to do the cooking and work for the family and take care of my little brother. My father bought a house in Sugar Creek, and we stayed there and raised a crop. In the fall of 1847, we started for Winter Quarters and arrived there about the first of November. We lived there through the winter, and my grand-mother [Elizabeth Haight Hatch] died on December 15th of that year. We then moved to Pleasant Grove, Iowa to get ready to come to Utah.” It would be fun to have a first-person, journal entry describing how Peter and Sophronia first met. Perhaps they met at a church social or maybe at the school because for three year in Pleasant Grove, Sophronia attended school. However, their love did grow, and in March 1852, Peter married Sophronia. Two months after the wedding, in May the family was finally ready to start for the west. By this time Grandpa Jeremiah Hatch was old and near death. He died in May in his son’s home at Pleasant Grove the same year Josephus started west. These people traveled with the Isaac M. Stewart Company (9th). After arriving in the valley, after resting and visiting for two weeks, the Hatches and Tidwells moved to Ogden, Utah and stayed from 1852 until 1862. While in Ogden, Peter and Sophronia had children. Then the Tidwells moved to Richmond for two years and eventually settled in Smithfield, Utah in 1864. The town had only been settled since 1860, so they were in on the beginning developments. Just before they arrived, the Smithfield settlers had been living in the fort, but by now the Indians had become more friendly, and families started moving out of the fort. Remembering their stories, remembering the move from Winter Quarters to Salt Lake, I wrote these lines: Then we pushed o’er the flat lands; we climbed the rocky hill. We floated tumbling rivers and found more mountains still. The sun keeps burning softly; our faces show the wear. But western lands keep calling; we’ll build our Zion there. We lifted through the canyon walls; we daily touch the sky. We’re living with the eagles now; it’s here — we’ve got to try. Immigration is the canyon sweet; it’s coming soon they say. We then see the valley but hope we will not stay. But Brigham gazes slowly; he says, “This is the right place.” It’s here the God of Eden will build a noble race. We lifted through the canyon walls; we daily touch the sky. We’re living with the prophets now; it’s here — we’ve got to try.

Life of Mary Isabelle Tidwell

Colaborador: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

LIFE OF MARY ISABELLE TIDWELL FARNSWORTH Written by a granddaughter, Doris Christensen in 1967 Mary Isabelle Tidwell was the first child born to Peter Tidwell and Sarah Briggs Allen in Ogden, Weber county, Utah on Sep 11, 1858. Two years later on 20 Dec 1860 a second little girl was born to them who they named Sarah Ellen. For some unknown reason to we that are still living, Sarah and Peter separated and received a temple divorce 30 July 1864. Isabelle was almost six years old now and her little sister Ellen was just three years and seven months old. The following is taken from the story of William Hamilton Packer who the mother, Sarah married later. “When she, (Sarah) was approached by one of the church apostles, Ezra T. Benson, wanting to introduce his friend Brother Packer to her with the object of matrimony in mind, she made this statement: “Brother Benson I loved my husband very much and when I had to leave him my heart was broken and I resolved then that I would never marry again.” But she did marry William Hamilton Packer and was sealed to him also on Dec 2, 1865. The ceremony was performed by President Brigham Young in his office in Salt Lake City. . . . the same authority that had divorced her from Peter Tidwell. William was a tailor by trade and a ventriloquist by avocation. He entertained people this way and could also play music by sliding his fingers over a pan, a tub or a table. He had married previously Jane McFarland on Jan 7, 1836 in Ohio and they had seven children. He bad made three trips back to persuade her to come to Utah where he had gotten established, but she would have no part of it. He did bring two of his sons back with him however. In telling his troubles to Apostle Benson, he advised William to marry another woman and volunteered to make him acquainted with Sarah; a fine young Mormon widow with two little girls. Sarah was living in Brigham City, Utah at this time. The Mormons were still practicing plural marriage. After Brigham Young led the saints to Salt Lake Valley, plural marriage was openly taught and practiced until the year 1890 when President Wilford Woodruff issued the manifesto (through revelation) directing that it cease. Shortly after they were married, the Packer's were called to settle in Utah's Dixie for awhile but later moved to St. George, Utah where their first child, William Ezra was born on 21 Feb 1868. It was either while they were in Dixie or after arriving in St. George that Isabelle was baptized on 2 April 1867 being 8 years and 7 months old. The 22 July 1870 found the Packer family in Leeds, Utah where a second child was born to them who they named Eliza Alice. Two years later they moved to Panquitch, Utah where Malissa Ann was born on 30 Oct 1872. Shortly after this they moved to Joseph City, in Sevier County Utah. William sustained his family by teaching night school in Penmanship and Orthography. (A mode or system of spelling) He also sold fish that he caught in the Panquitch Lake and in Fish Lake where they were plentiful and of good quality. They lived in a dugout walled up with rock. It was on the 14 of February 1875 as the family was preparing to sit down to their evening meal with Ellen and Isabelle drawing cuts to see who would go after drinking water a block away, and father William taking the baked potatoes out of the fireplace with a poker, when he suddenly fell to the floor dead. William was buried in Joseph, Sevier county, Utah. Eight months after he bad passed away, another daughter was born on 15 Oct 1875 who Sarah named Phoebe Alzina Three years later, Sarah married Reuben James on 20 February 1878 at St. George and later they settled in Circleville, Utah; She lived in Fielding in her later years where her children had bought her a small home. On February 17, 1920 while in Ogden, she died and was brought back to Fielding, Box Elder County Utah for her funeral and burial. Thus ending a typical story of the hardships and heartaches of a pioneer mother 's life of which Mary Isabelle, my grandmother was very much a part of while growing up. Now Isabelle was a young lady and I like to think that she was popular with the young men of her day. From her pictures and from memory of her as a white haired grandmother I' m sure she was pretty. She had a nice build and was about five feet six inches tall with brown hair and blue eyes. And it was on 11 .Oct 1876 that she found her mate for time and all eternity in Cyrus Walter Farnsworth, the son of Stephen Martindale Farnsworth and Julia Ann Clark. They were married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. ·Cyrus was truly tall, dark and handsome. He weighted about one hundred and sixty pounds and stood about five feet eight inches tall with brown eyes and dark hair. Belle, which she was called by most everybody, said of him; “Cyrus was the best man I ever knew but I don't want him to know it” They made their home in Joseph, Sevier, Utah and at first shared a house with Belle's sister Ellen and her husband, Robert Sainsbury. Cyrus and Robert shared in a cattle enterprise and were partners in most everything they did. Cyrus played the accordion and Robert played the violin and many enjoyed dancing to their music. It was on 27 October 1877 that Cyrus and Belle had their first baby, a little girl who they named Ada Belle. She died one year later on the 14 Sep 1878 and was buried there. The next three children were also born in Joseph, Cyrus Walter Jr. on 3 Feb 1879, Wilford Burt 29 Jan 1880 and Maud Ellen on 9 Sep 1883. Not too many years later the church called some of the saints to settle at Tuba, Coconino county, Arizona right in the heart of the Indian reservation. There were three tribes there, the Piute, Mookie, and the Navaho. Some twenty five or thirty families responded among was Cyrus and Belle. This is where their next child, my father, Leo Ezra, was born the 22 Jan 1886. After the killing of Lot Smith by the Indians, and event recorded in Church History, the Government sent one hundred soldiers to help keep the peace and order. Cyrus was quite an athlete and would wrestle and broad-jump with the soldiers. Once the Indians stole a new work harness from Cyrus, but he and Uncle Rob Sainsbury followed their tracks and got it back without any serious difficulty. While in Tuba two more children were born to Cyrus and Belle, Janney B, born 12 March1888 and Eugene born 19 February 1889. Both of these children and Maud got Diphtheria and on 26 June 1891 Eugene died and on 3 July, 1891 Janney died, but Maud lived. Minnie Melisa was born 6 Dec 1892 while still in Tuba, Arizona. In November of 1894, Cyrus moved his family to Circleville, Sevier, Utah. It was from there that Cyrus wrote this letter to Belle's half brother W. E. Packer. “ Dear Brother, We have found a good place to make good homes. It is Circleville. There is a good chance for about fifty families yet and plenty of good land, wood and big timber is handy. Reuben ( Reuben James) has taken up one hundred sixty acres of land. They are making a new Canal. It seems good to get in a county where there is plenty of water. (This proved to be wishful thinking. The Lost Creek as they needed it, where they tried to make a reservoir, would dry up every summer. The canal that was dug from the Sevier river did help). You can get anything people raises for blankets. No more at present ••••signed C W Farnsworth.” They had no doubt brought blankets from the Indian reservation from Arizona and traded them for things they needed. It was soon after there arrival in Circleville that Cyrus took sick with Typhoid fever and later with pneumonia and on Dec 2, 1894, he passed away leaving Belle to raise her young family of five alone, Walter being the oldest at fifteen years of age. At the time of his death, Belle only had $2.00 in change and their share of the cattle. She and her children done almost anything possible to feed and clothe themselves. Maud and Belle took in washings and ironings; washing with a plunger and washboard, ironing with a cast iron which had to be held with a cloth to keep from getting burnt. They done this for anyone in the area, but mostly for the storekeepers wife. She had three daughters who wore white embroidered dresses to school. They did about two clothes baskets of ironing a week, Maud doing the starched clothes and Belle the flat work. When the boys were not around, the girls had to chop and gather their own wood for the cast iron stove used to heat the irons. They ironed all day for $1.00. The boys done all they could do to help. Walt pitched hay for $1.00 a day. If two men worked all day, they could get one load of hay for their cattle. The boys had worked for Mart Dalton on his farm to get a milk cow worth $13.00. Another source of income was to help get cattle out of the hills on horseback. Doing this for three days earned them a bushel of potatoes. Leo remembers turning wheat bundles all day with a pitch fork for 25 cents. He was so thrilled with those two thin dimes and one nickel that he ran all the way home with his days wages. However, the best money being paid was for sheep herding. A monthly wage of $35.00 a month and board, staying right in the hills. Leo and Wiff done this for Wilford Day and would be gone for months in the Bolder mountains. Each week the camp-tender would come with a few supplies and help move the sheep to a new camp. Many times the boys would try to cook dry beans and cook them for days and days. The altitude was so high, they never would cook ....the skin wouldn't even get shriveled. It was a real adventure for these boys, but they made the best of their circumstances. They caught a little faun while there and made a pet out of it. They would catch a mother sheep and let the little fawn get his fill of milk. They played hide and seek with this little wild animal, and never could hide from him. Once someone offered them $15.00 for the faun, and this was mighty big money in those days, but they could not part with him. One day, the fawn drank too much milk and bloated and died. While the family were still in Circleville, Walter become very sick with appendicitis. It ruptured before they could get him to Salt Lake City to the hospital. The railroad would not take script. (A means of exchange made of fine tin marked 10 , 25 and 50 cents.) The whole town was canvassed to get enough money to put him on the train. He did live through the whole ordeal which is now considered a miracle indeed as there were no drugs much to combat such a dangerous infection then. Some time after this, Walt married Della Morrill on the 19 Dec 1900. After they had had one child, Della got typhoid fever and died. Word was taken to Leo in the mountains where he was herding sheep. He was told that horses would be stationed all along the way for him to hurry and come home to the funeral. He just about wore the horses out and in the end was still a little late for the funeral. After Walt's marriage, he had an experience which cost him his little finger on his right hand. They were trying to host a wind mill with a double pulley and Walt was trying to keep it from turning when the team of horses lunged and pulled his hand into the pulley cutting off his finger and pulling the ligaments and tendons on his hand. It really took a long time for this to heal. After living in Circleville about fifteen years, Belle took her baby Minnie with her and moved to Fielding, Box Elder, Utah. Walter had remarried Eva Clair Betenson on 22 June 1904. Wilford had married Eliza Ann Hess 16 Oct 1901 and Maud Ellen had married George Douglas Wood on 8 Jan 1902. Leo stayed in Circleville with Grandmother Sarah James to finish his grade schooling. Shortly after moving to Fielding, Belle went to Salt Lake City to train to be a Midwife. She had only had an eighth grade education which would be equivalent to the fifth grade these days. She made the statement many times that the Lord really answered her prayers and came to her assistance in passing this test and examinations. After coming back home from her schooling, her son Wilford and his wife Annie's child was the first she delivered. And this is what Aunt Annie wrote to me of this incident; “I will never forget her generous kindness to me in delivering my first four babies, Arlo being her first care after she came back from school in Salt Lake. She also delivered my little Virginia Bell.” Grandmother Belle, as everyone called her was estimated to have delivered about one thousand babies among which were many of her own grandchildren; all of Leo's and Ruby's children except Faye and all of Maud's children ....Leah being the first of Maud’s in 1903. She never lost a mother and only called a doctor for assistance once. She delivered many, many people now living in the Bear River Valley. She lost some premature babies which was understandable without modern day equipment; -statistics says that fifty years ago, one out of every ten babies died during the first year of life. Today, infant mortality during that first year has declined to only one out of forty babies. Much of the credit belongs to the potent drugs that help defenseless infants to fight the diseases that once meant certain death. Belle would take care of the mother and the baby for ten days for $10.00. It was the practice then for the mothers to stay right in bed for ten days or more if she had had complications. Belle had a one horse buggy for her transportation. The horse was so slow and lazy that she seldom bad to tie him up he was so glad to stop. Many times she would cross the Bear River at low tide in route to Beaver Dam, north of where now stands Bigler's Bridge. The year of Feb 1911 when Ruby was expecting Irene's arrival and she had come from Holbrook to her sister Effie's place to be confined at Riverside, there had been heavy floods which had taken all the bridges out. But nothing would stop Belle. She walked to the flume north and west of Fielding and walked over this which was two planks wide, to meet Leo on the other side who was there to take her on to Riverside. If she should have fallen into the Malad River below some seventy-five feet, it could have been fatal to her. But she done this for ten days in a row, staying over night at Riverside and then going back to Fielding each morning to take care of five other ladies there. This was a display of her devotion to her ladies. - . Belle married Hyrum Hess on 17 January 1906 but it didn't seem to work out as they only lived together a few years. She was quite self-sustaining now with her new occupation. She was a very happy person always whistling or singing. She never burdened others with her troubles and heart aches. She loved to dance and was really hurt when her son-in-laws quit dancing with her. Ruby and Leo tell of her dancing with their son Sid when he was a tiny boy. After they moved to Holbrook, one day, Sid must have been homesick for Grandma, because he said to mother Ruby, “Why don't Grandma come and dancey-doodle me ?” Leo remembers waltzing with her when she was eighty one and she was still a good smooth partner. For some time Belle lived with her mother Sarah James in her small house in Fielding where Belle helped care for her. Grandmother James died in Ogden, in 1920- leaving her small home to Belle. Belle lived there until her death on 28 Dec.1939. Her son, Wilford was visiting her from California. Leo and Wiff were also with her when she passed away. She was buried on Leo's lot in the Fielding cemetery on 30 Dec 1939 beside her son Walter who had died nine years before on May 1930. Since then, Walt's wife Eva has been buried there also. Written in 1967 by Doris Christensen, Granddaughter. Copied from original by Anitra Whittle for Carmen Boss.

History of Sarah Briggs Allen

Colaborador: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

SARAH BRIGGS ALLEN TIDWELL PACKER JAMES BIRTHDATE: 24 Feb 1835 Washington, Warren Co., Ohio DEATH: 17 Feb 1920 Ogden, Weber Co., Utah PARENTS: James D. Allen, Sarah Ann Hardy PIONEER: 28 Aug 1852 Isaac W. Stewart Wagon Train SPOUSE I: Peter Tidwell MARRIED: 16 Aug 1857 Salt Lake Endowment House DEATH SP: 23 Mar 1909 Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah CHILDREN: Mary Isabell, 11 Sep 1858 Sarah Ellen, 20 Dec 1860 SPOUSE II: William Hamilton Packer MARRIED: 1 Jun 1865 Salt Lake Endowment House DEATH SP: 14 Feb 1875 Joseph City, Sevier Co., Utah CHILDREN: William Ezra, 21 Feb 1868 Eliza Alice, 22 July 1870 Melissa Ann, 31 Oct 1872 Phoebe Alzina, 15 Oct 1875 SPOUSE III: Reuben James MARRIED: 20 Feb 1878 St. George Temple, St. George, Utah DEATH SP: Unknown CHILDREN: None Sarah helped her father in the fields. She could swing a cradle, bind, and tie the bundles. Later, Sally became a fine seamstress and an excellent cook. She also inherited her mother's soprano voice and memorized many songs. She had courage and was self-reliant, healthy, and happy. Although uneducated in schools, she used the best of language. She was converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and came with her parents to Utah, arriving in the Salt Lake Valley on August 28, 1852. She met Peter Tidwell when he was serving as the Captain over ten in their wagon company. They met again five years later in Logan, and after obtaining permission from his first wife, she became his plural wife. Two little girls were born to this union, but because Peter drank too freely and was partial to his first wife and children, Sarah left him. After she obtained a divorce, Sarah returned to her trade of carding and spinning wherever she could find employment, she also did some housekeeping. While living in Brigham City, Apostle Ezra Taft Benson introduced her to one of his friends. She married William Hamilton Packer, a tailor by vocation and an entertainer. They moved to St. George to be by her family, then to Leeds, Panguitch, and finally Joseph, Utah. They had four children together before William died of a heart attack. Again, Sarah took over the responsibility of caring for herself and her children. She and her daughters operated a dairy in Clear Creek Canyon. Here they made butter and cheese in order to make their living. Sarah married Rueben James on the same day her daughter, Sarah, was married. She spent her declining years in Fielding, Utah with her daughter, Isabelle. She lived to be eighty-five years old. Source: Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, vol. II, pp. 1509,1510; International Society Daughters of Utah Pioneers; Publishers Press, 1998. LDS Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.

Peter Tidwell & Sophronia Alvira Hatch

Colaborador: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

PETER TIDWELL AND SOPHRONIA ALVIRA HATCH Sister Sophronia Hatch was the daughter of Josephus and Melinda Durfee Hatch and was born in Bristol, Addison County, Vermont, October 8, 1834. When seven years of age, a missionary came to preach the gospel. Her parents accepted the gospel and joined the church in 1841. Her sister, Mary Rebecca (almost 14),; her grandparents, Jeremiah and Elizabeth Hatch; her father’s brother, Hezikiah and family; and her mother’s brother, Francillo Durfee, also joined in 1840 and 1841. “In 1842 we started on our journey in June to Nauvoo and arrived there in August, being about six weeks on the journey. We stopped to grandfather's until father got a house. I here attended school four years during our stay in Nauvoo. I have heard the Prophet Joseph Smith preach many times. I was there at the time of the battle—the bullets were flying thick and fast. Most of the women were forced to go down into cellars. We had difficulty in getting started—my father having had a horse stolen. We took what we could in one wagon and left our home in 1846—our family consisting of father, mother, grandparents, my sister Mary and one brother (William Edson), and myself and mother’s niece—her mother having died and her father (Francillo) had gone to the Battalion. I was then twelve years of age. After crossing the Mississippi River, and while we were trying to locate the place where Cousin Jerry Hatch had stopped at which was called Luce, as we were journeying along, our wagon tipped over spilling most of our things. My sister at once went and found the place and Jerry came with a yoke of cattle and helped us, and we again started on our way. When we arrived at Zion, we spent a very happy evening—to think we were there among friends. There were five families there in a little log room. The week after we were there, mother was confined in a tent where they had to dig trenches to keep the water from running over her--it rained so hard. Baby was born September 24, 1846. We stopped there two or three weeks then moved to a place called Sugar Creek. It was a place in the woods where all kinds of timber grew, and it was there that father learned to make baskets. He would take a load to Montrose every week; so you see the way the Lord blessed us, helping us to earn our daily bread. My mother and sister were sick all that winter, so it fell to me to do the cooking and work for the family and take care of my little brother. My father bought a house in Sugar Creek, and we stayed there and raised a crop. In the fall of 1847, we started for Winter Quarters and arrived there about the first of November. We lived there through the winter, and my grandmother (Elizabeth Haight Hatch) died on December 15 of that year. We then moved to Pleasant Grove, (Pottawatomie County) Iowa, to get ready to come to Utah. I attended school while there three years, and it was there that I first met Peter Tidwell. We were married March 2, 1852, at which time I was seventeen years of age. [Peter was 21.] We started to Utah in May, having a good outfit. [They traveled the summer of 1852 with Captain Isaac M. Stewart in the 98th Company.] Visited in Salt Lake City two or three weeks, then we moved to Ogden. Father bought a house and they live in that; also, my husband and I lived just across the street from them. We lived there one year, and then we built a house and my son was born [Royal Edwin]. My husband, Peter, was a minuteman and was always ready to go at every call. We moved to Payson and they all got word that we could move home, so we came back to Ogden. [Was sealed in the Endowment House 16 August 1857.] After we got back, my second daughter was born. We lived there ten years, then we moved to Richmond. We lived there two years. We then moved to Smithfield where my husband worked in the blacksmith shop with Jerry Hatch in the winter and summer of 1864-65. We have raised an honorable family of children—one son and six daughters; also, 34 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.” --This account was written by Sophronia Alvira Hatch and was in possession of her daughter-in-law, Royal Edwin Tidwell's wife, Jane Margaret Nelson. [Per a history written regarding Will Thornley, it tells where in 1886 he established a blacksmith shop. Will had “learned the rudiments of the trade from Pete Tidwell who was then the only blacksmith in town.” Apparently Peter took over the blacksmith shop from Jerry Hatch and worked in that capacity for over twenty years.]

History of Josephus Hatch

Colaborador: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Josephus Hatch was born at Ferrisburg, Vermont on 2 July 1801. When in the prime of life, he weighed 240 pounds, was 6 feet tall, had grey eyes and black curly hair. He married Melinda Durfee on 6 December 1822. She was born in Lincoln, Addison Co., Vermont on 20 February 1806. They made their home in Bristol, Addison Co., Vermont where all but one of their eight children were born. His occupation was that of a farmer. He was converted to Mormonism and was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in February 1840 by Elder Sisson A. Chase. Four of his children having died young, he and his wife and three children left their home in Vermont and went to Nauvoo, Hancock Co., Illinois in the Fall of 1843. He assisted the Saints in trying to keep the mob from entering the city during the troubled times in the summer of 1846. One of his horses had been stolen from the barn, and when they were forced to leave Nauvoo, about the 15th of September 1846, all the team he had was one good and one poor horse, and one wagon in which to move his family and his aged father and mother and their necessary belongings. They were forced to camp on the banks of the Mississippi for more than a week waiting for an opportunity to cross. After crossing the river, they traveled about 7 miles to a farm owned by a man named Luce. On the way to the farm, the wagon tipped over and their goods were thrown out, but no one was injured. On the 24th of September 1846, a most severe thunder and lightning storm came with torrents of rain; and in the midst of the storm a son was born to Josephus and Melinda. A trench had to be dug around the tent where the sick woman lay to keep the water from running into her bed. From here the family moved to Sugar Creek, Iowa, where they purchased a small log house of one room where nine of them lived during the winter, spring and summer of 1847. Josephus obtained a good living by making baskets out of oak splints and selling them at the neighboring towns. After raising a good crop of corn, etc., they moved across the state of Nebraska to a place called Winter Quarters. While there, Josephus' mother, who had lived with them during all their journeys, died 15 December 1847. All the family were afflicted with chills and fever at this time. In the spring of 1848, they moved east over the Missouri river to a place called "Pleasant Grove." While here his daughter Sophronia was married to Peter Tidwell (28 March 1852); and in May, the family (including Sophronia and her husband) started for the mountains where the Saints had preceded them some 5 years earlier. When nearly to their journey's end — Utah, Melinda, in attempting to get out of the wagon while it was in motion, fell and was thrown under the wheels of the wagon which ran over her and badly injured her. A swinging bed had to be arranged for her under the bows of the wagon to avoid any jar. By the time they reached the valley, she was all right. They reached Salt Lake City September 1852 and the same fall moved to Ogden where Josephus purchased a two-room house. Here he also made baskets for sale. He owned the land where the Ogden Depot now stands. When the railroad was built, he rented the land for $100 per month, thus fulfilling a promise made to him in 1843 by the Patriarch of the Church, Hyrum Smith, that "he should have lands and tenants." He had a large peach orchard and sufficient money to build a new home but died before this was accomplished. His death occurred 25 March 1874, his widow died 9 May 1884.

Robert Frank Tidwell Family Timeline by Allen Hackworth

Colaborador: Gina369 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Our heritage is rich and worthy of study, yet it is sometimes difficult to keep the various families sorted out. This time line will help. One should also spend time studying the pedigree charts to understand family relationships. Events are described from 1792 until 1984, almost a span of 200 years. This time line assumes the reader has familiarity with the family names. Again, if this is not so, study the FamilySearch tree. 1792 — Absalom Tidwell born in Tennessee (father of Peter Tidwell) 1795 — Jane Telford born in Ireland (Evaleo Brighton’s great grandmother) 1802 — John Telford born in Ireland (Evaleo Brighton’s great grandfather) 1818 — Robert Nelson born in Ireland, father of Jane Nelson. Jane Margaret Nelson married Royal Tidwell, son of Peter Tidwell. Robert Nelson's wife was Elizabeth Joseph born in Ireland, mother of Jane Margaret Nelson. 1825 — John Telford and Jane Telford (cousins), both Irish, were married in Scotland. 1828 — Catherine (Catie) Bow born in Scotland (Evaleo Brighton’s grandmother) 1829 — William (Willie) Stuart Brighton born in Scotland (Evaleo Brighton’s grandfather) 1830 — John McCarthy Jr. born in Ireland (Grandfather of Evaleo Brighton) 1831 — Peter Tidwell born in Randolph County, Illinois (father of Royal Tidwell) 1834 — Sophronia Alvira Hatch born in Vermont (mother of Royal Tidwell) 1835 — Eliza Victoria Telford born in Canada (Grandmother of Evaleo Brighton) 1842 — Robert Nelson and Elizabeth Joseph married in Ireland. Sophronia Hatch’s parents joined the Church and moved to Nauvoo 1844 — William Stuart Brighton (Grandfather of Evaleo Brighton Tidwell) joined the church in Scotland. 1845 — Robert Nelson joined the church in Ireland Absalom Tidwell died in Nauvoo, Illinois. 1846 — Sophronia Hatch and parents start west. 1850 — Robert Nelson and Elizabeth Joseph sailed on the ship North Atlantic from Scotland to America. William Stuart Brighton and Catherine Bow married in Scotland. 1851 — John and Jane Telford and family crossed the plains. 1852 — Robert Nelson and family crossed the plains. Sophronia Hatch married Peter Tidwell at Pleasant Grove, Iowa, March 28. 1853 — Peter Tidwell and pregnant Sophronia Hatch started for Utah in May. Royal Edwin Tidwell born in Ogden in August, first child of Peter Tidwell and Sophronia Hatch. 1854 — William Stuart Brighton, Catherine Bow, and family sailed to American on the ship Clara Wheeler. 1855 — John McCarthy set sail on the ship, Julie Ann, from Australia on September 7. The Julie Ann struck a coral reef on October 4. 1856 — John McCarthy arrived in San Francisco on April 14. 1857 — The William Stuart Brighton family crossed the plains with the Israel Evans Handcart Company. John McCarthy Jr. married Eliza Victoria Telford 1860 — The Robert Nelson family moved to Smithfield, Utah and occupied a cabin in the fort. 1862 — Jane Margaret Nelson born at the Smithfield Fort 1864 — Daniel (Dan) Hanmer Wells Brighton born in Salt Lake City (father of Evaleo Brighton) Peter Tidwell and Sophronia Hatch moved to Smithfield. Evaleo Siccolo McCarthy born in Richmond, Utah. 1878 — Royal Tidwell and Jane Nelson married. 1879 — Royal and Jane’s first child, Elizabeth, was born. 1886 — Evaleo Siccolo McCarthy and Daniel Brighton married in Salt Lake City. 1889 — Frank Tidwell born. 1891 — Evaleo Brighton born. She was half Irish (mother’s side), half Scottish (father’s side). Evaleo Siccolo McCarthy Brighton died 13 days after giving birth to Evaleo Brighton. 1896 — John Telford died. Jane Telford died. 1897 — Frank Tidwell was baptized. 1898 — John McCarthy Jr. died in Smithfield. 1902 — Robert Nelson died in Smithfield, Utah (father of Jane Tidwell). Elizabeth Joseph died in Smithfield, Utah (wife of Robert Nelson). 1909 — Frank Tidwell ordained an elder Peter Tidwell died in Smithfield 1910 — Frank Tidwell and Evaleo Brighton married in Logan. 1911 — Alton Tidwell born Robert Frank Tidwell purchased a farm at Blue Creek. 1913 — Ruby Tidwell born Robert Frank Tidwell sold the farm at Blue Creek. 1915 — Eliza Victoria Telford McCarthy died. (Evaleo Brighton’s grandmother) Dorothy Elizabeth South born in Argyle, Rich County, Utah 1918 — Thelma Tidwell born. Robert Frank Tidwell traded his home for a dry farm in Arimo, Idaho and moved there in the summer of that year. 1919 — Sophronia Hatch Tidwell died in Preston, Idaho. 1922 — Robert Frank Tidwell called as stake missionary while in Arimo. 1923 — Robert Frank Tidwell released as stake missionary 1924 — Robert Frank sold the farm in Arimo and moved back to Smithfield to 91 East 3rd North into a home that, I believe, Royal Tidwell built and lived in. Robert Frank and Roy Tidwell rented their father’s farm (Royal Tidwell). 1925 — Frank Tidwell called to the Eastern States Mission 1927 — Frank Tidwell released from his mission. Frank Tidwell called to teach Sunday school. 1929 — Barbara Tidwell Brown born. Robert Frank Tidwell started selling insurance for Met Life. 1931 — Eunice Tidwell Merrill born. 1932 — Around this date, Royal Tidwell contracted cancer 1934 — Royal Tidwell died at age 80. 1935 — Thelma Tidwell and Joe Jacobson married. Robert Frank Tidwell discontinued selling insurance for MET Life. Frank Alton Tidwell married Iris Nielson. 1937 — Ruby Tidwell and Wayne Johnson married. 1938 — Robert Frank Tidwell called to be the high priest group leader. Frank Alton Tidwell divorced Iris Nielson. Frank Alton Tidwell and Dorothy South married. 1939 — Shirlene Tidwell born at American Fork, Utah. 1940 — Allen Tidwell born at American Fork, Utah . 1941 — Alton Tidwell divorced Dorothy South. 1942 — Frank Alton Tidwell married Dorothy Newton 1943 — Robert Frank Tidwell called to be a member of the high council. Dan Brighton died. 1946 — Robert Frank Tidwell called as bishop for the Smithfield 4th Ward. Robert Frank Tidwell sold his farm to Dale Nilson. Around this time the Frank Tidwell family moved to the home at 203 North Main, Smithfield, Utah. Jane Margaret Tidwell lived across the street to the south. Jane’s home is now gone. 1948 — Robert Frank Tidwell started selling insurance for the American National Insurance Company as well as being a salesman for the J. R. Watkins Company. Cancellation of sealing for Dorothy South and Frank Alton Tidwell. 1950 — Barbara Tidwell and Gordell Brown married. 1951 — Eunice Tidwell and Monte Merrill married 1952 — Frank Tidwell was released as bishop. 1956 — Jane Margaret Nelson Tidwell died 1961 — Shirlene Tidwell Hackworth died (car wreck) 1964 — Robert Allen Tidwell Hackworth married Loni Gee in Salt Lake City 1975 — Frank Tidwell died 1979 — Ruby Tidwell Johnson died 1984 — Evaleo Brighton Tidwell died.

Life timeline of Peter Tidwell

Peter Tidwell was born on 27 Mar 1831
Peter Tidwell was 9 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Peter Tidwell was 29 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Peter Tidwell was 30 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Peter Tidwell was 44 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Peter Tidwell was 56 years old when Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show opens in London. William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody was an American scout, bison hunter, and showman. He was born in Le Claire, Iowa Territory, but he lived for several years in his father's hometown in Toronto Township, Ontario, Canada, before the family returned to the Midwest and settled in the Kansas Territory.
Peter Tidwell was 68 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Peter Tidwell died on 23 Mar 1909 at the age of 78
Grave record for Peter Tidwell (27 Mar 1831 - 23 Mar 1909), BillionGraves Record 995527 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States