Preston Dangerfield West

10 Jan 1890 - 2 Jun 1964

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Preston Dangerfield West

10 Jan 1890 - 2 Jun 1964
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

THE LIFE STORY OF THOMAS CHARLES WEST AND MARGARET ELIZA FELT 'Come, come ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear; But with joy wend your way. We'll find the place which God for us prepared, Far away in the West, Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid; There the Saints will be blessed. ' Those coura
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Preston Dangerfield West
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Preston Dangerfield West


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Children - . . . Donald, Eva Lou, Kathleen, Doyle

Jane Little

April 8, 2012


April 2, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Preston Dangerfield...

We found more records about Preston Dangerfield West.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Preston Dangerfield


Preston Dangerfield West is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life Stoy of Thomas Charles West and Margaret Eliza Felt

Colaborador: Jane Little Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

THE LIFE STORY OF THOMAS CHARLES WEST AND MARGARET ELIZA FELT "Come, come ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear; But with joy wend your way. We'll find the place which God for us prepared, Far away in the West, Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid; There the Saints will be blessed. " Those courageous souls, our pioneer ancestors, who left homes and loved ones to explore, conquer and subdue a new unproven land were pioneers not only on the frontiers of civilization, but on the frontiers of the spirit as well. They truly repre¬sent the great American ideal, the very reason for its settlement, that of religious freedom. These emigrants possessed high ideals and objectives, and the faith and determination to achieve them. It was through hard work, and the ability to vision beyond their own time, the needs of future generations, that those objectives were consummated. Their dedication to a belief in true freedom, their love of fellowmen, their willingness to sacrifice them-selves for the good of others, and their sincere faith in God; in all these virtues and attributes our pioneers left us a magnificent heritage. It is our right — our privilege — our duty to cherish and appreciate it. Perhaps the proper way to show our appreciation for the many good things our progenitors did for us, is to pattern our lives after theirs so that when it is our time to pass on to our eternal reward, it can be said of us that we left this sphere of action better than we found it. This history is gratefully dedicated to Thomas Charles West and his wife Margaret Eliza Felt, two souls who might be counted worthy to be numbered among those spoken of above. Thomas Charles West was the first son and second child of the eleven children, born to Charles Henry John West and Eliza Dangerfield, He was born on the 9 of October 1859. At London, Middlesex, England. He was blessed 8 November 1853 at Goswell Road Branch by Elder MaCaughie. In his infancy he had a severe sickness and was thought dead. His mother washed and laid him out. A short time later she looked at him and saw his finger move. They immediately worked with him and Charles Henry administered to him; and he was restored to life. Charles Henry John West was born 12 January 1833 in London, Middle-sex England and was the third son of John West and Lydia Johnson. Eliza Dangerfield, born 7 September 1832 in Cottage Lane, City road, England, and was the daughter of Thomas and Caroline Buckwell of Middlesex, England. Charles Henry and Eliza were married 25th December 1850 at St. Andrews Church in Holborn , London by Rector I.I. Toogood in the presence of their parents. They were converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Elders John Hyde and Orson Pratt. After joining the church Charles Henry preached the gospel to Eliza’ s family and converted five members, who had formerly belonged to the Baptist church. Their other children born in England were: Caroline, Ann Lydia, Jabez William, Mary Ann, and Eliza Alice. The spirit of coming to Utah - or 'Zion' as they expressed it - had been with Charles Henry and Eliza since joining the church. They worked hard to save what they could to pay for their passage to Zion. With the expense of caring for their large family they found it difficult to save enough. It was after Eliza Alice was born when they met Elders John Brown and Fergerson, who, learning of their long desire to go to Utah, promised them that if they would send two of their girls over with friends they would be able to follow within a year. They sent Caroline ten, and Lydia six, with Brother and Sister King, who had no children. Brother King's mother and sister were traveling with them. They left in April 1862 on the "Captain Tapstock" and arrived in Salt Lake City 12 October 1862. With the blessings of the Lord, as the young mission¬aries had promised, Charles Henry and Eliza were able to accumulate the necessary amount for passage for them¬selves and their remaining four children; and in the spring of 1863, one year later, they prepared to leave their home¬land and loved ones in England. They spent a week visiting some principal places of interest, the Kew Gardens, Lon¬don Docks, Thames Tunnel, the Monument, etc. They felt they were leaving England forever. They sailed 1 June 1863 on the "Amazon" which carried nearly a thousand people on board, including eight-hundred Latter-day Saints. Traveling with them and in their care was a boy, Samuel Bezzant, and a young lady, Mary Powell. After leaving the "White Cliffs of Dover" and on into the English Channel the family all felt some seasickness; Eliza continued feeling sick most of the way over. Thomas Charles, being the oldest, was required to help take care of his little brothers and sisters; while his father prepared the meals, washed the dishes and other duties required of him. The Saints were organized into wards and had their weekly meetings, consisting of singing, prayer, sacrament, and Gospel lessons; everything was done in order and by proper authority. President George Q. Cannon had given instructions and a Gospel sermon before the ship sailed. All immigrants furnished and prepared their own food on a large cook stove. The food consisted mostly of salt beef, oatmeal, crackers, dry peas, flour, etc. Those who could afford it had better rations. Among the passengers was the famous English Author, Charles Dickens, who later wrote the book - the "Uncommerical Traveler". In this book on page 99, Mr. Dickens writes of the "Mormons" on board, describing vividly a family which the West Family like to think was the family of Charles Henry and Eliza, Quote "A father and mother and several young children on the main deck below me had formed a family circle, close to the foot of the crowded gangway, where the children had made a nest for themselves on a coil of rope, the mother, she suckling the youngest, seemed to be discussing family affairs as peaceable as if they were if perfect retirement. " Also on board were a number of Welch Brethern who composed a brass band, so they had plenty of music, which pleased the family of Charles Henry and Eliza as they loved music. They were forty-two days on the ocean and the water was rough most of the way. A severe wind storm came up and blew off part of the sails and the sailors had a hard time keeping things under control. Occasionally a whale could be seen spouting water, or a flying fish, or some water fowl. One death occurred on board ship and the body was buried at sea. The ship docked at New York City harbor 4 July 1863. The Civil War was on and conditions were far from pleasant. The journey from New York to Florence, Nebraska was very bad. They were required to travel day and night, sometimes being crowded into cattle cars without sufficient food to keep the children from crying because of hunger. The steamer that took them up river was even more crowded and they were very thankful to reach Florence, Nebraska. It was here they and the other saints were met by Brethren from Utah who were to take them by ox team to Salt Lake City; about sixty wagons were waiting to take them across the plains. The West family traveled with the ox team of Peter Nebeker. When luggage and all was loaded, there was not enough room for all to ride, so all able-bodied men and older children were required to walk. Thomas Charles and Jabez walked with their father most of the way, until Jabez slipped and got run over by one of the wagons. His injuries were treated with fresh dung, and with faith and the Elders administering to him, he was healed; but he rode the rest of the way. After ten weeks on the plains, behind the slow, pokey oxen, and the heat of the summer months, over dusty roads, and crossing streams, they arrived in Salt Lake City, 4 October 1863, in time to attend the Semi-annual Conference of Church. The Saints were taken to the Church camping grounds in the Eighth Ward Square, where relatives and friends greeted them and took them into their own homes until they could find a place to locate. Charles Henry and Eliza and their family were met by Brother Grimsdell of the Tenth Ward, an old acquaintance from London, with his team and wagon. He took them and their baggage to his home, where they stayed until after Conference; they made arrangements to go to Provo, where their girls were living with a Bishop Miller. They rode to Provo in Dixie Wagons. On the way they left the boy, Samuel Bezzant with his Grand-father at Battle Creek. (Before leaving Salt Lake City the young lady, Mary Powell, married the teamster Peter Nebeker. They went to Dixie.) There was great rejoicing when they saw Caroline and Ann. Charles Henry and Eliza were very thankful to their Father in Heaven to have their family united again and to Bishop Miller for taking care of the girls. After a few days they settled in a one room adobe house belonging to the brothers of Bishop Miller's wife. A few days after being settled a great sorrow came to them. The little girl, Mary Ann, who had been ill most of the way across the plains, became worse. She died 22 October 1863. She was buried the next day in the Provo City Cemetery, because they were newcomers, the family were the only ones present at the burial services, along with the Bishop, who had taken care of her properly, and the driver of the buggy. They returned to their humble home feeling very down cast and gloomy. They felt that it was more than they could bear. While in this frame of mind, a gentleman walked into their home without knocking, and sat down in the only chair and commenced talking to them of their trouble. He seemed to know their history, the troubles they had passed through, the sacrifices they had made and of their faithfulness in the Gospel. He talked with them about an hour, consoling and blessing them, and they felt a heavenly influence radiate from him. He was very tall and wore a dark homespun suit, his hair was grey and his beard came down to his chest. When he left, he went backwards toward the door, opened it and went out. Charles Henry followed him, and to his amazement, could see no one. Next day he called on the Bishop to thank him for sending a ward teacher to comfort them at such a trying time. The Bishop said, "We have no one in our ward as you describe. Brother West, you have been highly blessed with a visitation of one of the three Nephites that were to remain on the earth until the Savior comes." Charles Henry first worked at helping make molasses. He received his wages in molasses, carrots and potatoes. Eliza taught a small group of children, along with her own, in her home and helped the family income a little. Thomas Charles, ten, gleaned wheat from Bishop Miller's fields and other fields that had been harvested. The whole family helped glean 21 1/2 bushels. Flour was worth $25 a hundred pound. Work was hard to get that winter. The next spring, another blessing came to them. While Eliza was in Salt Lake City, visiting her brother, she secured some temple clothes. Then Charles walked fifty miles from Provo to join her, and a few days later, they were sealed to each other in the Endowment House for time and all eternity! At last they felt fully repaid for all the trails through which they had passed. Some friends in Heber City wanted Charles Henry to move there and help get out logs and haul to Provo. Thomas Charles was big enough to help him, but it was so cold he nearly froze to death riding down the canyon on the logs. Once he became snow blinded and suffered severely. His mother kept his eyes bandaged and when the other children ate their boiled wheat they slyly slipped what they couldn't eat onto his dish, as they were never allowed to waste food, and he wondered why he had so much to eat. Wheat, carrots, flour and molasses were about all they had to eat that winter. Their potatoes froze because no one had told them how to care for potatoes in such a cold climate. The winter was so much colder than any winter had been in England. While living at Heber City, a daughter Mary Rebecca, was born 9 January 1866. In the spring of 1866 the family moved to Jordon to run the J. C. Little farm on shares. The farm was located on the Jordon River and it had a more comfortable house to live in. Thomas Charles got his first experience in farm living and farm work. He helped milk cows and feed animals and harvest hay. The children helped their mother churn butter and other such tasks children can do on a farm. The older ones helped wash the wool after the spring shearing of sheep. In 1867 Charles Henry and Eliza moved their family into Salt Lake City. Here they both taught school, Charles the boys, Eliza the girls. They lived in the back of the school house. It was this way their family received most of their schooling. On twenty third of February 1868, a son Charles Jesse was born, and they continued teaching school until April when they moved into the eleventh ward. In December of that year, Charles was working on a railroad in Echo Canyon, he suddenly felt impressed that he was needed at home. Since there was no other way to go, he walked the entire distance - only to learn of the death of his little daughter, Rebecca. For the second time, the family mourned the loss of a lovely three-year-old child! That was not all, however, for the next two children John Henry born 12 April 1870 lived only 2 and one half hours. Fanny Elizabeth, born 7th June 1872 and lived with them only 5 and one half months. The loss of these three beloved babies cast an unhappy shadow over the first few years which the family spent in Salt Lake City and memories of the little one buried in Provo years before, but they did not falter in their faith and courage to carry on. They still had many blessings to be thankful for, one of which was the addition of another son William Joseph born 29 August 1973. He was a frail, weak child, and it was feared that his chances for survival were no better than those of the two little babes who preceded him - but he had come to stay. Thomas Charles and his father got work in 1868 at Promontory Point digging and hauling fill dirt for a Mr. Brighton. Mr. Brighton would not pay Thomas Charles enough for such hard work, so he went to work for a John Sharp, driving mules on a dump truck on the same project at Promontory Point. He received good pay for this work. It was dangerous work and among a rough class of men. When the job was finished he and his father went home to work for Brigham Young. They did all kinds of odd jobs, such as gardening, orchard work, harvesting in the fields, etc. When President Young obtained a contract to furnish lumber for ties for a street car company they worked up City Creek, cutting and hauling lumber out of the canyon. They also worked on the Tabernacle and Assembly Hall. In their spare time they worked on their own home, which they were building on a piece of land Charles Henry had purchased in the Tenth Ward, hauling rock and sand for the foundation, setting out fruit trees and berry bushes, etc. Thomas Charles, now working for the Gibson Lumber Company, took his pay in lumber for the new home. His next job was with George Chandler, a Salt Lake butcher. On this job he was kicked by a mule and severely injured. The doctor gave little hope for his recovery, but through faith, prayer, administration of the Priesthood, and his mother’s excellent nursing, he soon recovered and was able to resume his work. During this time he met Margaret Eliza Felt, loved her and wanted to marry her. In 1873 his father gave him part of his building lot on which he built a two room adobe house. He learned the plastering trade and became very good at it. Margaret Eliza Felt, (Maggie, as she was familiarly called) was the third child of Nathaniel H. Felt and Eliza Ann Preston. She was born in St. Louis Mo. 6 October 1849. She weighed only three pounds at birth and was a very delicate baby. Her father, Nathaniel H. Felt was born 6 February 1816 at Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts, the son of Nathaniel Felt and Hannah Reeves. He was a draper and tailor of Salem, Mass. Eliza Ann Preston was the daughter of Joseph and Rebecca (Peele) Preston and was born 10 November 1820 in Salem, Massachusetts. Nathaniel and his wife Eliza Ann joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1842. After the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith, while the saints were being buffeted around by their enemies, Nathaniel Felt moved his family to Nauvoo, Ill. When the saints were expelled from Nauvoo Nathaniel, ill with chills and fever, and on the advice of Brigham Young, remained in the east, moving his family to St. Louis Mo. While there he was appointed President of the St. Louis Conference. It was the only organized Conference of the church in the United States at that time and numbered between seven and ten thousand saints. It was here in St. Louis that this tiny delicate baby, Margaret Eliza was born. At the age of six weeks she suffered a severe case of small pox, due to the fact her parents made a practice of taking missionaries into their home to do what they could for their welfare, and one of them exposed the family to the dreaded disease. Margaret Eliza being so tiny and so ill, gave her parents grave concern for fear of losing her. It was hard to keep her tiny hands from scratching her face which was covered with pox, and she carried scars the rest of her life. (She often related how Golden Kimball, as a boy, teasingly called her 'holy face!') In 1850 the Nathaniel H. Felt family moved to Salt Lake City with the Heywood and Wooley Merchandise train. Here Nathaniel built a three story adobe house on Main Street in the block north of Temple Square. He became a grain merchant; was first alderman in Salt Lake City; was Colonel and Chaplain in the Utah Militia; was elected to the House of Representatives in the first Legislature, 1852; went to England on a mission, where he established a paper called the "Mormon". He had three wives - Eliza Ann Preston, the mother of Joseph Henry, Nathaniel Preston, Margaret Ann, John Gillingham, Albert William, George Francis, Ada Agusta, Mary Alice, Charles Brigham and Annette Rebecca; Sarah Strange, the mother of James Strange, Edward Hunter, Mary Ida and Eliza Ann; Mary Louise Pile, the mother of David Pile, Nathaniel Henry and Mary Dell. The two families of Eliza Ann and Sarah lived in the same house. Margaret Eliza, being the oldest daughter, had plenty of work to do. She tended the babies and younger children. She dug Sego Lilies with her companions on Capitol Hill, (She was intimate with the families of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, J. C. Little and other members of the 17th and 18th Wards, where she spent her childhood.) She attended school and was outstanding in singing, grammar and spelling. Her home life was a happy one. She honored her parents and loved her brothers and sisters. Her father made a comfortable living so she did not have to go away from home to work as so many young girls of those days. Her work was at home, where she learned to be a good housekeeper, homemaker, to sew, to knit and to tat - which was one of the fancy work arts she liked best. She also enjoyed the games of childhood as played at that time: Jacks, played with rocks - Hopscotch -Run sheep run - Steal Sticks - King William was King James Son, etc. She participated in dances and parties at the Social Hall. She grew up with Salt Lake City and witnessed the building of all the familiar land marks - Tabernacle, Temple, ZCMI store, Eagle Gate, Lion House, Salt Lake Theater, Tithing Yard Square, etc. She had several offers of marriage but none suited her until she met Thomas West. Thomas Charles West and Margaret Eliza Felt were married in the Salt Lake Endowment house 10 November 1874 in the presence of their parents. They started housekeeping in the two room adobe house built by Thomas Charles on the part of the building lot given him by his father. In 1875 they moved to Round Valley, Morgan County, Utah, to live in a small log house on a farm that Nathaniel Felt had purchased from a Mr. Cooper. (None of Nathaniel's boys cared to farm.) It joined the farm of Bishop Edward W. Hunter, presiding Bishop of the Church. It was some distance from any neighbors and three miles from Morgan. It was hard for Margaret to leave the city, her family, friends and close neighbors to live in such a lonely place. The families who lived in Round Valley then were, Edward Hunter, Andrew Black, Neils Nielson, O. B. Anderson, later a bishop, Evan Richards, and Arthur Brewer. (Round Valley became part of North Morgan Ward when it was organized in 1877. The farm was divided by the tracks of the Union Pacific railroad (1868-69). A large spring was on the upper end but their land was to high to use it for irriga¬tion so they used it for drinking and household purposes. It was used by other settlers for household and irrigation purposes. Thomas Charles made a pond of the spring and planted fish; later he made another pond for boating. The watercress grew very profuse in the ponds during the summer. The County Road (later it became the highway) ran close to the house and travelers would stop to get a cold drink of water. Bands of Indians would go by, some stopped. It would frighten Margaret, but they were always friendly and occasionally they asked for biscuits or something else to eat. Tramps from the railroad pestered her for food also; she never turned them away and always fed them when she could. They often asked what they could do to earn some food and she had them chop wood to cook with. Thomas Charles fenced his land, built a barn, chicken coop, granary, vegetable cellar, etc. He planted an orchard of apples, pears and plums, raspberries, red English currants and gooseberries. He had several colonies of bees, a small herd of sheep and other necessary farm animals of that time. He was a handy man, able to do most anything he set out to do. He even made some of their furniture. (A chest of drawers that he made out of dry goods boxes was still in use in 1960.) When farm work was not pressing he worked at his plastering trade. He plastered most of the houses around Morgan from 1875-1895. He also plastered in Summit County as far as Peoa and Oakley. Before the advent of wall paper he would white wash for his customers. He was a good workman and guaranteed his work. Occasionally when he was away on these jobs, Margaret spent the time in Salt Lake City. She went to the Temple often to do work for her kindred dead. On 5 December 1875, their first child, Thomas George, was born in Salt Lake City. (About the same time Annie Neville, Thomas Charles' sister, had her first baby - also a boy. She and Margaret dressed them alike for a while, as they lived close to each other at the time.) On 16 October 1877, their second child, Charles Henry, was born in the little log house in Round Valley. On 12 October 1878, Albert William was born in Salt Lake City, as was Eliza Ann on 1 July 1880. Three more children were born to them in the log house, Frank LeRoy, 3 May 1882, Louie Mary Etta, 31 August 1884, and Amy Alice, 13 May 1886. In the fall of 1886 a severe epidemic of diphtheria broke out. All of the children came down with the dreaded disease, except six-month old Amy Alice. Dr. Wads-worth quarantined the family, and everyone was afraid to come near them, except their neighbor Arthur Brewer. He would come as far as the gate with their food and supplies. Albert William died on his eighth birthday, four days later Louie Mary Etta passed away, two years and two months old. Thomas Charles and Margaret had to prepare their children for burial themselves and he had to make the coffins. They had a short graveside service with no one allowed to come and comfort them. This was a trying and sorrowful time for them. A short time after this, Thomas Charles built a frame house connecting it to the granary and vegetable cellar he had built earlier. It had three rooms. Two children were born in the new home, Alonzo David, 20 December 1887 and their last child, a boy, 10 January 1890. They gave him the maiden names of both his grandmothers, Preston Dangerfield. They had a near tragedy happen shortly after the birth of Preston. One of Margaret's brothers was a shoe salesman and canvassed the country with horse and buggy in the summer when the roads were in good condition; other times they would bring the horses to the farm for Thomas Charles to care for and to use as he wished. This time he hitched the horses up to the white topped buggy to take Margaret and baby Preston to visit the Brewer family who had moved up the canyon to the Tunnels, Mr. Brewer being a watchman at the Tunnels. They invited a neighbor, Ann Richards, to go with them. On the way back the horses became frightened and being high spirited, started running. For some distance, over narrow-rough roads and around curves, Thomas Charles held onto the reins with all of his strength, until his muscles ached, pulling and tugging to stop them, but to no avail. They ran into a big rock, and the buggy came to an abrupt stop, then the tugs broke and the horses ran on nearly to Morgan before stopping. The women were shaken up, bruised and badly frightened, no one was seriously hurt but Thomas Charles' arms were sore for weeks. About 1896 Thomas Charles drew up plans for a two story brick house. With the three older boys helping, he laid the foundation, put in the rafters and joists, made adobes for the lining, etc. He bought the brick from Bishop Charles Turner of South Morgan and hired a good friend, Brigham Robinson of North Morgan, to lay the brick. He overworked during this time of building the new home, along with all the other work required of him. In his rundown condition he contracted typhoid fever. Dr. C. F. Osgood from the east, and newly out of training, with the help of Lucy Baker, a graduate nurse, attended him. Margaret did all in her power to help him. The fever subsided, but complications set in and the doctor had to perform surgery. He died on the 25th of June 1898 at the age of forty-five. His funeral was held in the Morgan Stake House. The building was filled with relatives and friends. Thomas Charles was active in civil and Church affairs. He was influential in get¬ting a grade school in Round Valley for the twenty-five students living there at that time. He was appointed School Trustee and hired the teachers. He was also active in helping to get a Sunday School organized. He acted as Superintendent, teacher and music director. He was Choir leader in the North Morgan Ward and would ride a horse - or walk the railroad tracks if his horses were too tired from a day of farm work - to attend rehearsal of the Choir, or one of the musical programs or operettas he organized and presented. Often the Choir members did not show up, but he was patient and never gave up. Anna Smith Dickson, organist at that time, said years later that it was through his efforts that the Ward got its first organ. (He also got an organ for his family the winter before he died by trading a cow to Nephi Hardy for it. He hauled the cow down in the sleigh and brought the organ back.) He was a stake missionary and held many other positions. His children attended their meeting0 regularly too, Margaret saw to this by always having their clothes in order and getting them ready to go, even though she seldom went, herself. Thomas Charles was humorous and witty and was usually the life of the party in the games and entertainment. In those days they had parties and dances in the homes. He was a good singer and liked to sing humorous songs as well as the sacred ones. He teased Margaret by singing "By and by, there won’t' be room for Father, By and by a half-dozen more, Father 'll have to sleep on the floor", other favorites were "Old Dan Tucker", "Hard Times Come Again No More", "Keep Your Courage Up and Your Spirit Alive", "Miss Cooper's Boarding House", etc. He had a trick game he liked to play at parties if someone new was present; it was called "Brother I'm Bobbed". He was handy and helpful when any of the children or farm animals got hurt, knowing just what to do and never getting excited, like Margaret did. He enjoyed having friends and relatives visit the farm for an evening or for a few days. One year when the family reunion was held there he made a whirligig and a teeter-totter for the young children, and a horizontal bar and boat for the older ones. He could knit stockings and piece quilts. (He pieced almost enough blocks for an entire quilt his last winter.) He had cobbler’s tools and kept his family's shoes in repair. He was never idle. He was strict in discipline, but kind and loving in correcting the wrong¬doings of the children. Margaret stayed on at the farm for a year or two. The older boys were able to do the farm work. Then she rented the farm to the oldest boy, Thomas George, and moved to Morgan so that the younger children could attend school. The school and Sunday School in Round Valley had been closed down. When the cement plant was first completed near Croydon she moved there so that Frank LeRoy and Preston, who were working there, could board at home. She also took in other boarders. She moved back to Morgan in 1909 and took in school teachers to board. By this time Thomas George (George), Eliza Ann (Lida), Alonzo David (Lonnie, or Al), Charles Henry and Frank LeRoy (Roy) were married. She sold the farm to George. In 1910 she sent Preston on a mission to Australia. She was busy in the Presidency of the Relief Society of the North Morgan Ward, working with Jane Heiner and Louisa Grover. She had served as a visiting teacher for several years, driving around to the homes with a horse and buggy. After Amy was married in 1913 Margaret gave up housekeeping and made her home with Amy, taking turns visiting with the other members of her family as she felt like doing so. She lived twenty-nine years a widow. She had many friends and all who knew her loved her for her many virtues and pleasing personality. Here are a few of the many clever sayings she would use in her jovial conversations: "Once bit, twice shy"; "Never rob Peter to pay Paul"; "Where ignorance is bliss it is folly to be wise"; "What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve"; "What can't be helped must be endured"; "If you don't at first succeed try, try, again"; "Where there is a will there is a way"; "Stand firm for what you know to be right"; "A stitch in times saves nine"; and many others. She passed away peacefully in her 78th year at the home of Amy, 12 January 1927. Her funeral was held in North Morgan Ward Chapel under the direction of Bishop E. E. Anderson. She was buried beside Thomas Charles, and their two children Albert William and Louie Mary Etta, in the North Morgan Cemetery.

Life timeline of Preston Dangerfield West

Preston Dangerfield West was born on 10 Jan 1890
Preston Dangerfield West was 14 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Preston Dangerfield West was 22 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Preston Dangerfield West was 31 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Preston Dangerfield West was 50 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Preston Dangerfield West was 54 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Preston Dangerfield West was 63 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Preston Dangerfield West died on 2 Jun 1964 at the age of 74
Grave record for Preston Dangerfield West (10 Jan 1890 - 2 Jun 1964), BillionGraves Record 899570 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States