Samuel Peter Nilson

13 Jul 1863 - 5 Oct 1945

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Samuel Peter Nilson

13 Jul 1863 - 5 Oct 1945
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF SAMUEL PETER NILSON (Written by his daughter, Fern N. Smith in Oct. 1958) Samuel Peter Nilson was born 13 July, 1863 in Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah; a son of Peter Nilson and Svenborg Tufveson. His parents joined the church in their native land of Sodra Rorum, Sweden and emigrated to Amer
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Samuel Peter Nilson
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Samuel Peter Nilson


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


May 8, 2012


April 16, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about SAMUEL PETER...

We found more records about Samuel Peter Nilson.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of SAMUEL PETER


Samuel Peter Nilson is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Samuel Peter Nilson

Colaborador: Embear624 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

HISTORY OF SAMUEL PETER NILSON (Written by his daughter, Fern N. Smith in Oct. 1958) Samuel Peter Nilson was born 13 July, 1863 in Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah; a son of Peter Nilson and Svenborg Tufveson. His parents joined the church in their native land of Sodra Rorum, Sweden and emigrated to America. They came to Smithfield in 1860 and were married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City in 1861. The following children were born to Peter and Svenborg Nilson: Samuel Peter (my father), Emma (Casier), James R., John Nephi, Eliza, Ellen (Wright), Zina Matilda, and Daniel. Three of the children died real young. Little John Nephi died when he was two years old by falling in a pan of hot water and was scalded to death. This was a great tragedy for the family. My father said he could never forget it. My father worked very hard helping his father on the farm and he helped to manage the farm while his father went on a two-year mission to Sweden in 1879. They used to cut the grain with a scythe and plowed the ground with a hand plow pulled by an ox team. In the Fall, he and Uncle Jim would go to the canyon and get wood for the winter to keep them warm. One day when Father was chopping a hard dry pine tree, the ax glanced off and went down into his foot and almost cut his toe off. He nearly bled to death before they got the bleeding checked. He was taken to the doctor in Logan and his toe was amputated. He remained in Logan for two weeks while he convalesced. Then on his way home from Logan, he had another close call. The horses ran away and Father fell out of the back of the wagon and the spring seat fell on top of him but he wasn't scratched. It was necessary for him to use crutches for over two months. The following year, my father attended the Brigham Young College in Logan. When he gave his lesson, he had to stand on one leg. In fact, he never regained strength in his leg until he went on his first mission to Sweden in 1883. It seemed that his leg kept on hurting him more all the time. He was afraid he would have to come home before his mission was finished. One Sunday after conference, he asked the Elders to anoint his leg with oil and administer to him. From that day on, his leg commenced getting stronger until he was entirely well. Father always exercised a lot of faith in the Lord. He was a wonderful missionary. At the time my father left on his mission, he was engaged to my mother. He said he used to worry about her quitting him. Mother taught school while he was away. Soon after he came home, they were married in the Logan Temple on Friday, 9 October, 1885. Father always said that was his lucky day. The following children were born to this marriage union: Samuel Ivan, Alta Loretta, Lucinda Fern, Earl, Ruby Sena, Mary, Miles Ruthven and Truman Wesley. Earl and Mary died soon after they were born. John H. Peterson, a student of Mother's said, "What a handsome couple they were and as good as gold." My father always had a good influence with him. He was kind hearted, humble and sincere, a hard worker and a very religious man who feared the Lord. He was a good tithe payer and honest in all his dealings. He was charitable and good to the poor. He would take the shirt off his back and give it to a friend in need. Father was a prayerful man and we always had family prayer in our home. He was good to his family. Every time he went to the store, he would bring home a big sack of candy. He took us up to the ranch up the canyon and saw that we had little ponies to ride so we could help herd the cattle and horses. We sure had a lot of fun. My father was a good violinist and played in an orchestra for the dances. But he didn't keep his violin for his young son, Ivan, he sold it to Mr. Harris in Hyde Park for a load of cedar posts. He was always sorry that he hadn't kept this instrument. He was quite 'well-do-do' at one time. He owned a lot of cattle and property up the canyon and was prospering in the cattle business when our Bishop, George L. Farrell, persuaded him to go in the sheep business with him. This was the mistake of his life as the Great Depression came after he bought the sheep and they took a big drop in price. My father lost most everything he had. He grieved a great deal over this transaction as their entire life was changed. At times, all he could do was pay the interest on the taxes of the ranch. At this time, my father was called to be an officiator in the Logan Temple. He enjoyed this labor very much. He drove to the temple in a buggy or rode horse back up through Hyde Park. The roads were very rough and muddy. My brother, Ivan, fulfilled a mission in Canada from 1908-1910. It was in 1916 that my father accepted another call to fulfill a mission to Sweden. He left home in January and the snow was about two feet deep. We took him to the railroad station on a hay rack. Father surely had the spirit of Elijah in his heart. He fulfilled an honorable mission and converted many souls. Some of the Saints likened him to the Savior. He was in Sweden four years and five months 1916-1920. The latter part was spent in gathering genealogy of our ancestors. He was very successful and had many experiences. The first World War was on and food was rationed and the Influenza was raging. The Saints were stricken and some taken to the "Flu" hospital. Father was called to administer to them. He seemed to have the gift of healing. When my daughter, Maxine, was critically ill in the Logan hospital, Father stayed there day and night ever praying for her recovery. I feel that through his faith and prayers, she is alive today. He was often called upon to pray in religious gatherings. He gave discourses on the Book of Mormon, his favorite book, in the various wards. I remember hearing him quote passages of scripture word for word. He worked in the Genealogical Society for quite some time and was a Stake Missionary, a ward teacher and went to the Temple as long as his health would permit. One of our Bishops, W.L. Winn, said that my father was one of the best versed men that he ever knew. He was thoroughly versed on the organization of the church and the principles of the gospel. I always enjoyed hearing my father bear his testimony for he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the gospel is true and that Joseph Smith was in very deed, a Prophet of God. Father was blessed with good health most of his life and worked hard on the farm. He always liked to do the farm irrigating for his sons, Miles and Ivan. Father and Mother's life was not a path or roses. They endured many trials and hardships but they never complained. It was in 1920 that Ivan's wife, Letitia, died in childbirth leaving four children under eight years of age. My parents gladly took them in and cared for them until Ivan remarried in 1922. Tragedy struck again when my husband, George D. Smith, died in March 1923 leaving me with three little children under six years old. Father welcomed me with open arms. I shall never forget how good he was to me and my children. He instilled in their hearts the love for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the desire to always do what's right. He was the only Grandfather my children ever knew. He enjoyed my children. George S. and Hollis helped him on the farm and one summer when George was about 9 years old, my father took him to Shelly, Idaho to help him herd sheep for James Anderson. While they were herding sheep, Father read the scriptures to George. On Aug. 28, 1937, my Father was called to part with his devoted companion and wife. They had spent many years together. Father came to live with me at 120 N. 100 E. in Smithfield. Early in the Spring of 1944, we noticed that Father's health was not good. His heart was bad and other complications set in. He worried about not getting all of his genealogy done and so he finally turned it over to his grandson, Dale Ivan Nilson. He was also worried about being ill a long time and being a burden on his children. I believe his prayers were answered when he was confined to his bed just two weeks. He was a good kind father who loved his family and grandchildren. He loved life and the gospel. I have always had a great deal of love and respect for my father. God bless his memory. A few years before he died, Father wrote his own history. He died Oct. 5, 1945, at my home at the age of 82. My sons George S. and Hollis were in the service of our country at this time. George was in Texas and was given permission to come home for the funeral. Father's earthly remains were buried in the Smithfield cemetery.

Eva Broberg: In Memoriam

Colaborador: Embear624 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

The funeral for Sister Eva Broberg was held in the Logan 7th Ward chapel, then known as the "assembly room," at noon on February 6, 1907. Bishop Christian J. Larsen presided at the funeral, which was captured in the brief minutes kept by ward clerk Frederick Scholes. The funeral began with the ward choir sing the Mormon favorite, “O My Father.” The invocation was offered by Ephraim Mikkelsen, a counselor in the bishopric who had served in that calling for the past 23 years. During this period of Mormon history, funerals were more ward productions than family productions, the thinking being that if the ward took care of the arrangements, family members would have space to grief. No Broberg family members would speak or take active part in the funeral, as was common of funerals at the time. After the prayer, a quartte sang a musical selction that went unrecorded in the minutes. After which Elder John Carlsen of Smithfield, perhaps a family friend, addressed the aseembly in Swedish. Elder Anders ("Andrew") Eliason then addressed the audience. Eliason “said he has known sister Broberg during her residence in Logan, and that she has been a faithfull saint." The Broberg family came from Sweden, he explained, and Eliason testified that they were "worthy people, industrious and faithfull." Eva's husband John, 75, would be alone, but not for long. Eliason said that the "the parting of Bro & Sis Broberg will only be for a short time, the meeting on the other side will be all right." Eliason "invoked the blessing of the Lord upon Bro. Broberg." A selection was then sung by "the Musical Club." Samuel Nielson of Smithfield then spoke. He had been the Brobergs' missionary in Sweden. "When he was a youth," Nielsen explained, "he was called on a mission to Sweden—had the privilege of teaching them the principles of the Gospel." The Brobergs were choice people: they were "always ready to do all they were able, in aiding the work of the Lord." The Brobergs were baptized in September 1884 when their oldest children had alreay grown and left the house. They subsequently heeded the call of the prophet by emigrating to Zion, which they did in 1891. They settled in Logan near the home of their missionary. "Sister Broberg has kept the faith," Elder Nielson explained, "and he rejoices to know that, thro’ the sealing ordinances of the Temple they have received, bro & sis. Broberg will enjoy blessings and exaltation in the Eternities to come." A few years after their arrival in Utah, John and Eva were sealed for time and all eternity in the Logan Temple. Because of this ordinance, they believed their marriage would persist beyond death, if they were faithful. Eva Broberg had done her part. "She has fought the good fight and has kept the faith and has earned a crown of Eternal Life:--the greatest gift of God to man." Bishop Larsen was the concluding speaker as was the custom of Mormon bishops who presided at the funerals of members of their congregations. Larsen, one of the first converts to the church in Denmark, was a legendary missionary in that country. He had spoken at dozens of funerals in his role as bishop, having presided over Logan 7th Ward for sixteen years. He was a small man, 5 foot 2, with a carefully groomed snow white goatee. He was much esteemed by the people of the ward. The traditional rivalry between the Swedes and the Danes had mostly likely dissolved under Larsen's moderating hand. On this day, Bishop Larsen "bore testimony to the good record given of our Sister who remains now lie before us, and will be worthy of all the blessings vouchsafed by the priesthood, all given because of worthiness to receive them." Larsen was recent widower himself and understood what John Broberg was going through. Larsen "urged upon the children to be kind to their father—to comfort and care for him in every respect." The speaking now over, the choir concluded the funeral by singing “Shall We Meet Beyond the River," a popular Protestant hymn often sung at funerals at that time. The first verse reads: "Shall we meet beyond the river, Where the surges cease to roll? Where in all the bright forever, Sorrow ne’er shall press the soul?" And the last verse: "Shall we meet with Christ our Savior, When He comes to claim His own? Shall we know His blessed favor, And sit down upon His throne?" The choir sat down. The benediction was offered by Elder Niels Lindelof, a fellow Swedish member of the Logan 7th Ward. Source: Minutes, Feb. 6, 1907, Logan 7th Ward, Cache Stake, Historical Record, 1904-1907, LR 4969 11, v. 17, pp. 280-81, Church History Library, Salt Lake City.

Life timeline of Samuel Peter Nilson

Samuel Peter Nilson was born on 13 Jul 1863
Samuel Peter Nilson was 16 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Samuel Peter Nilson was 18 years old when The world's first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States. A telephone call is a connection over a telephone network between the called party and the calling party.
Samuel Peter Nilson was 30 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Samuel Peter Nilson was 40 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Samuel Peter Nilson was 51 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Samuel Peter Nilson was 66 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Samuel Peter Nilson was 76 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Samuel Peter Nilson died on 5 Oct 1945 at the age of 82
Grave record for Samuel Peter Nilson (13 Jul 1863 - 5 Oct 1945), BillionGraves Record 1042019 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States