Samuel Iven Nilson

12 Aug 1886 - 28 Apr 1973

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Samuel Iven Nilson

12 Aug 1886 - 28 Apr 1973
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF SAMUEL PETER NILSON (Written by his daughter, Fern N. Smith in Oct. 1958) Samuel Peter Nilson was born 13 July, 1863 in Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah; a son of Peter Nilson and Svenborg Tufveson. His parents joined the church in their native land of Sodra Rorum, Sweden and emigrated to Amer
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Samuel Iven Nilson
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Samuel Iven Nilson


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Children: Dale I., Connie, Lawana, Feryl, Glade, Nereece, Baby Boy Born And Died Nov 24, 1920


May 29, 2012


April 1, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Samuel Iven...

We found more records about Samuel Iven Nilson.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Samuel Iven


Samuel Iven Nilson is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Samuel Peter Nilson

Colaborador: lizzybelle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

HISTORY OF SAMUEL PETER NILSON (Written by his daughter, Fern N. Smith in Oct. 1958) Samuel Peter Nilson was born 13 July, 1863 in Smithfield, Cache Co., Utah; a son of Peter Nilson and Svenborg Tufveson. His parents joined the church in their native land of Sodra Rorum, Sweden and emigrated to America. They came to Smithfield in 1860 and were married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City in 1861. The following children were born to Peter and Svenborg Nilson: Samuel Peter (my father), Emma (Casier), James R., John Nephi, Eliza, Ellen (Wright), Zina Matilda, and Daniel. Three of the children died real young. Little John Nephi died when he was two years old by falling in a pan of hot water and was scalded to death. This was a great tragedy for the family. My father said he could never forget it. My father worked very hard helping his father on the farm and he helped to manage the farm while his father went on a two-year mission to Sweden in 1879. They used to cut the grain with a scythe and plowed the ground with a hand plow pulled by an ox team. In the Fall, he and Uncle Jim would go to the canyon and get wood for the winter to keep them warm. One day when Father was chopping a hard dry pine tree, the ax glanced off and went down into his foot and almost cut his toe off. He nearly bled to death before they got the bleeding checked. He was taken to the doctor in Logan and his toe was amputated. He remained in Logan for two weeks while he convalesced. Then on his way home from Logan, he had another close call. The horses ran away and Father fell out of the back of the wagon and the spring seat fell on top of him but he wasn't scratched. It was necessary for him to use crutches for over two months. The following year, my father attended the Brigham Young College in Logan. When he gave his lesson, he had to stand on one leg. In fact, he never regained strength in his leg until he went on his first mission to Sweden in 1883. It seemed that his leg kept on hurting him more all the time. He was afraid he would have to come home before his mission was finished. One Sunday after conference, he asked the Elders to anoint his leg with oil and administer to him. From that day on, his leg commenced getting stronger until he was entirely well. Father always exercised a lot of faith in the Lord. He was a wonderful missionary. At the time my father left on his mission, he was engaged to my mother. He said he used to worry about her quitting him. Mother taught school while he was away. Soon after he came home, they were married in the Logan Temple on Friday, 9 October, 1885. Father always said that was his lucky day. The following children were born to this marriage union: Samuel Ivan, Alta Loretta, Lucinda Fern, Earl, Ruby Sena, Mary, Miles Ruthven and Truman Wesley. Earl and Mary died soon after they were born. John H. Peterson, a student of Mother's said, "What a handsome couple they were and as good as gold." My father always had a good influence with him. He was kind hearted, humble and sincere, a hard worker and a very religious man who feared the Lord. He was a good tithe payer and honest in all his dealings. He was charitable and good to the poor. He would take the shirt off his back and give it to a friend in need. Father was a prayerful man and we always had family prayer in our home. He was good to his family. Every time he went to the store, he would bring home a big sack of candy. He took us up to the ranch up the canyon and saw that we had little ponies to ride so we could help herd the cattle and horses. We sure had a lot of fun. My father was a good violinist and played in an orchestra for the dances. But he didn't keep his violin for his young son, Ivan, he sold it to Mr. Harris in Hyde Park for a load of cedar posts. He was always sorry that he hadn't kept this instrument. He was quite 'well-do-do' at one time. He owned a lot of cattle and property up the canyon and was prospering in the cattle business when our Bishop, George L. Farrell, persuaded him to go in the sheep business with him. This was the mistake of his life as the Great Depression came after he bought the sheep and they took a big drop in price. My father lost most everything he had. He grieved a great deal over this transaction as their entire life was changed. At times, all he could do was pay the interest on the taxes of the ranch. At this time, my father was called to be an officiator in the Logan Temple. He enjoyed this labor very much. He drove to the temple in a buggy or rode horse back up through Hyde Park. The roads were very rough and muddy. My brother, Ivan, fulfilled a mission in Canada from 1908-1910. It was in 1916 that my father accepted another call to fulfill a mission to Sweden. He left home in January and the snow was about two feet deep. We took him to the railroad station on a hay rack. Father surely had the spirit of Elijah in his heart. He fulfilled an honorable mission and converted many souls. Some of the Saints likened him to the Savior. He was in Sweden four years and five months 1916-1920. The latter part was spent in gathering genealogy of our ancestors. He was very successful and had many experiences. The first World War was on and food was rationed and the Influenza was raging. The Saints were stricken and some taken to the "Flu" hospital. Father was called to administer to them. He seemed to have the gift of healing. When my daughter, Maxine, was critically ill in the Logan hospital, Father stayed there day and night ever praying for her recovery. I feel that through his faith and prayers, she is alive today. He was often called upon to pray in religious gatherings. He gave discourses on the Book of Mormon, his favorite book, in the various wards. I remember hearing him quote passages of scripture word for word. He worked in the Genealogical Society for quite some time and was a Stake Missionary, a ward teacher and went to the Temple as long as his health would permit. One of our Bishops, W.L. Winn, said that my father was one of the best versed men that he ever knew. He was thoroughly versed on the organization of the church and the principles of the gospel. I always enjoyed hearing my father bear his testimony for he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the gospel is true and that Joseph Smith was in very deed, a Prophet of God. Father was blessed with good health most of his life and worked hard on the farm. He always liked to do the farm irrigating for his sons, Miles and Ivan. Father and Mother's life was not a path or roses. They endured many trials and hardships but they never complained. It was in 1920 that Ivan's wife, Letitia, died in childbirth leaving four children under eight years of age. My parents gladly took them in and cared for them until Ivan remarried in 1922. Tragedy struck again when my husband, George D. Smith, died in March 1923 leaving me with three little children under six years old. Father welcomed me with open arms. I shall never forget how good he was to me and my children. He instilled in their hearts the love for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the desire to always do what's right. He was the only Grandfather my children ever knew. He enjoyed my children. George S. and Hollis helped him on the farm and one summer when George was about 9 years old, my father took him to Shelly, Idaho to help him herd sheep for James Anderson. While they were herding sheep, Father read the scriptures to George. On Aug. 28, 1937, my Father was called to part with his devoted companion and wife. They had spent many years together. Father came to live with me at 120 N. 100 E. in Smithfield. Early in the Spring of 1944, we noticed that Father's health was not good. His heart was bad and other complications set in. He worried about not getting all of his genealogy done and so he finally turned it over to his grandson, Dale Ivan Nilson. He was also worried about being ill a long time and being a burden on his children. I believe his prayers were answered when he was confined to his bed just two weeks. He was a good kind father who loved his family and grandchildren. He loved life and the gospel. I have always had a great deal of love and respect for my father. God bless his memory. A few years before he died, Father wrote his own history. He died Oct. 5, 1945, at my home at the age of 82. My sons George S. and Hollis were in the service of our country at this time. George was in Texas and was given permission to come home for the funeral. Father's earthly remains were buried in the Smithfield cemetery.

Life timeline of Samuel Iven Nilson

Samuel Iven Nilson was born on 12 Aug 1886
Samuel Iven Nilson was 12 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Samuel Iven Nilson was 19 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Samuel Iven Nilson was 28 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Samuel Iven Nilson was 43 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Samuel Iven Nilson was 44 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Samuel Iven Nilson was 59 years old when World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Samuel Iven Nilson was 69 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Samuel Iven Nilson was 79 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Samuel Iven Nilson died on 28 Apr 1973 at the age of 86
Grave record for Samuel Iven Nilson (12 Aug 1886 - 28 Apr 1973), BillionGraves Record 1255739 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States