Samuel Leo Hymas

9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Samuel Leo Hymas

9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Samuel Leo Hymas (9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979) at Smithfield City Cemetery in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Samuel Leo Hymas
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Samuel Leo Hymas


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


May 27, 2012


April 15, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Samuel Leo...

We found more records about Samuel Leo Hymas.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Samuel Leo


Samuel Leo Hymas is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Car Wash Inside and Out - See Crossley and Hymas

Colaborador: apockalipse Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Growing up near grandparents was an important part of my life as I grew older. Between the ages of 15 to 19 I was blessed wit the opportunity of going fishing with my grandparents - Lowell and Fawn Crossley. I learned some fishing techniques from grandpa, like chumming, using 2 hooks versus 1, and using barrel sinkers. I loved fishing and had been going up High Creek, or fishing from a boat with my neighbor, or floating and fishing down the Bear River Narrows with my best friend Gordon, but there was something special when it came to fishing with Grandma and grandpa. They loved it more than anything they could do together. Grandpa would set up and bait the hooks for grandma and then cast it out. She would pull in the fish more times than he would and I seen her pull in two at a time many times - one on each hook. Every week during fishing season they were going to some favorite fishing spot in Idaho. One Saturday they decided to go to Windor Reservoir just out of Preston Idaho. I was invited to go, but I had to work. This day was not one of their better days I learned later as they related the story. As they were crossing the dam going to their favorite spot grandpa hit a rock and knocked out the oil pan. They decided to try and turn the car around so that they could get a local farmer to help them tow it back into preston to get it repaired. As they were pushing and working the car around, they got too close to the edge of the dam and pushed it over the side allowing the car to roll right into the dam. Only the very top of the car was showing as it was all under water. Grandpa was able to find a local farmer with a cat or tractor to pull it out and tow it to a shop for repairs and cleaning. It was not funny at the time, but they laughed about it many times. The car from that day forward always smelled "fishy". However, this was not the end of the story. Since Grandpa and grandma had no car for a few weeks to go fishing, grandpa was invited to go with his brother-in-law Sam Hymas (Grandma's brother) the next Saturday up to Twin Lakes (also in southern Idaho). As they were backing Sam's boat down the dock to put it in the water, Uncle Sam's car lost it's brakes and the boat and the car went rolling down into the water. And the only thing showing was, once again, the top of the car. Two weekends in a row they had the misfortune of having their cars go completely underwater. To make things really good, the drug store (SOS Drug) in Smithfield, where they both lived, put a big sign in the Window which said, "CAR WASH - INSIDE AND OUT - SEE CROSSLEY AND HYMAS"

Alfred C Hymas - Memories by Ruth Richards Hymas (Wife of Charles)

Colaborador: apockalipse Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Alfred and twin sister, Susan, were always very close and their birthday celebration was looked forward to each year with great anticipation by all the family members. In 1915, just before Christmas, Alfred was very sick with a ruptured appendix. He spent several weeks in the hospital, so during this time Charles was the children's Santa and took care of getting the midwife, who was Alfred's mother, to Liberty in time for Maida's birth. Each year Alfred took a load of grain to the flour mill in Montpelier to have milled into flower and cereal. This supplied the family through the year. This was a particular help to Ruth in about 1920 when Charles was on his mission in Australia, they having been married the year previously. It was about this time that Alfred purchased their first car, a Model- T Ford. This car was traded several times between Alfred and his two oldest sons Charles and Sam, most of the time for horses. In the church he worked most of the time with the youth. A story is told about when he was in charge of the youth dances in the area. The church was not accepting the "waltz" very well and the bishop was allowing only two waltzes to be danced each night. When Alfred allowed a few extras, this apparently upset the bishop somewhat because he recommended that Alfred either be cut off from the church or he and his family be sent to Canada. This of course didn't happen. Alfred worked hard in the community. He served as the phone linesman in that area for many years, keeping the lines repaired and the phones operating through the severe Bear Lake winters. He was president of that area Farm Bureau. This meant that in times of drought or other difficulties that put the area farmers in trouble, he would travel to other places and obtain hay and grain to feed the cattle. . He apparently did this task well as he is credited with saving many of the livestock during these difficult times. Charles relates his emotions when his father had his leg amputated just before his death and the doctor gave the leg to him and Sam to bury, which they did in their back yard only to be dug up a few days later to be buried with Alfred following his death. These were hard times for the family and memories were vivid of driving back from Logan with the body in the car, no funeral homes or embalming then, but burial by the family in a homemade casket after viewing in the family living room. Alfred died on a Sunday, 15 April 1934 and was buried on 17 April 1934 in the Liberty cemetery. Some information on Alfred: Baptized 22 April 1882 by James Poulsen Confrrmed 23 April 1882 by James Poulsen Ordained an Elder 3 November 1895 by Hyrum H. Hymas Ordained a Seventy 15 June 1913 by Roy A. Welker Ordained a High Priest 31 May 1924 by James E. Talmage Served as Superintendent of Sunday School' about 1911 Served as second counselor in Sharon Ward Bishopric 1924-26 Letter written to Maida by Nellie Miller, a family friend: I met your father when I went to Sharon to teach school. He was a member of the Bishopric and I remember he had a very pleasing personality, always wore a smile and seemed interested in everyone. After Albert and I were married, five years later, he was no longer in the Bishopric. It was Bishop Gambling, Samuel Leo Hymas and Albert E. Miller at that time, but your father was our first visiting teacher. I remember what a good feeling I had when he came to visit. No one could have been a more welcome visitor than he was. I thought he was about the kindest person I had ever met. Also that he was interested in us and our welfare. It seems that it wasn't much after this that his health broke down and I remember the sympathy I felt for him and your mother and family, and the sorrow we felt at his passing away. Albert remembers an incident that happened. He said when he bought the Gertsch farm, Mr. Gertsch had switched the end of the fence they were to fix which left your father fixing the end hardest to fence. Albert called him on the phone and had a few words of disagreement. A few days later your father came in and very kindly they talked over the problem and it was settled with a good feeling for both of them. He was very accommodating with the use of his truck. He was about the only man with a truck. He went to Noonan and brought a piano to us. He also went to Montpelier to bring a bull home from the railroad station for us. Your father was a very good, kind, honorable and loving person. We never in all those years had a better neighbor than he was. Letter to Maida from Harold H. Pugmire: In the summer of 1907, the year I was six years old, Aunt Ella Hymas, the lady who took me to care for me when my mother died, moved back to Liberty, Idaho to take care of the cows. Her husband, Uncle James Hymas, was on a mission at the time and was to return home that fall. Aunt Ella and I had been living in Paris, Idaho while Uncle Jim was on his mission. We lived at the home of Uncle William and Aunt Em Rich and Aunt Ella helped Aunt Em with the housework and other necessary things. In Liberty, Alfred C. and Mary Hymas were living on the lot where Della Hymas' home now is and we lived on the lot where Eva and Lane Hymas now live, so our families were close together and Uncle Alf and Aunt Mary were some of the first people I remember that summer. All the neighbors called him "Uncle Alf" and he was liked by everyone. I was often to their home as I grew up and I played with Charles, Sam, Arvilla and Ray. I thought Charles and Sam were big boys as they were a few years older than I. Arvilla was only a few months older and Ray a few months younger so I spent more time with him than the others. I remember when Reed was born. Aunt Ella went over there often to help out with the new baby. In those days the babies were born at home and all the neighbor ladies helped each other as their babies were born so I got 0 go along and play while she was doing her work .. I remember when Ray fell off the picket fence and broke his leg. Uncle Alf was very kind to Aunt Ella that summer and was always helping our family when he could. I remember Uncle Alf and Uncle Jim changing work when necessary and when the first telephones came to Liberty, theirs were the first two phones installed and they helped each other install them. I also remember them working on the hay baler together. (It was the custom then to stack the hay in the summer and then in the late fall and winter, as time permitted, they would bale the hay out of the stacks.) They worked with Joseph M. Hymas, their cousin, who owned the baler. I also remember Uncle Alf when he was the Ward Sunday School Superintendent and that he was active in the church and community affairs. I never remember him speaking cross to we children when we were around him. Uncle Alf had a hard time providing for his family for besides the five children mentioned above, Elfonda, Susie, Elsie, Maida and Veda were added to the family and it was quite a task to provide food and clothing for that many. His farm acreage was small, he had a few cows and he hauled milk to the Paris Creamery. He also did odd jobs to earn what money he could. He never accumulated much of this worlds goods, but he was a good man, honest in his dealings with people, a good neighbor, a diligent member of the church and was friendly and kind to everyone. All that knew him were very sad when he passed away. He was of the second generation of the Hymas family who helped settle Liberty and he has a large posterity. I'm proud to have been so closely associated with the Hymas family as I was growing up and I have many fond memories of Uncle Alf and Aunt Mary.

Life timeline of Samuel Leo Hymas

Samuel Leo Hymas was born on 9 May 1899
Samuel Leo Hymas was 6 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 18 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 30 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 40 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 41 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 56 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Samuel Leo Hymas was 66 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Samuel Leo Hymas died on 16 Jan 1979 at the age of 79
Grave record for Samuel Leo Hymas (9 May 1899 - 16 Jan 1979), BillionGraves Record 1234476 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States