Steve Burton Brown

25 May 1931 - 4 Sep 2010

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Steve Burton Brown

25 May 1931 - 4 Sep 2010
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Steve Burton Brown (25 May 1931 - 4 Sep 2010) at Loa Cemetery in Loa, Wayne, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Steve Burton Brown
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Steve Burton Brown

Casado(a): 29 Jan 1952

Loa Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Loa, Wayne, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Brown children Peggy Lou, Bruce Neil, John Dwight, Dwayne Kay Steve Burton Brown US NAVY< US COAST GUARD, KOREA, PERSIAN GULF (Utah Highway Patrol)


May 3, 2013


May 3, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Steve Burton...

We found more records about Steve Burton Brown.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Steve Burton


Steve Burton Brown is buried in the Loa Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Nome do Cemitério

Loa Cemetery

Endereço de cemitérios
Unnamed Rd
United States
Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Korean War Information for grandson

Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

You asked for some pictures & information about the Korean War. I will write some of the things that I remember, and we will try to get you some pictures. (I was a Radioman, and all of the area of the radio & transmitter room (radio 11) was confidential, so we wonV get very many pictures of those areas. I joined the Navy in July 1950, but my Brother, Leon, had to have an operation, before he could go in (we joined together & they promised us that we could either stay together, or both go to class "A" schools) so I waited for a while for him to get over the operation, but was afraid that they would draft me into some other branch of service, so I went in. I went to "boot camp" at San Diego, Ca. I went to Navy Station at San Francisco (NavstaSFran) at Treasure Island. I got my shots and went aboard the USS General W.A. Mann-(an APA--troopship) and went to Yokosuka, Japan and rode a train to Kobe, Japan, where I got on the USS Sicily (CVE 118), where I was assigned for the remainder of my 4 year enlistment. I later flew back to San Diego, and we to Radioman (RM) school, then went back over to meet the Sicily on another small aircraft carrier (USS Windham Bay). The USS Sicily was a small aircraft carrier (465 ft. long about 90 feet wide, and had a crew of about 1500 men.) It had a wooden flight deck, so was limited to propeller-driven planes. During its four trips to the Korean area, it had squadrons of Marines & Navy planes Among them VMF214"(Blacksheep Squadron) Made famous on TV as "Pappy Boyington's Squadron. And VF 222 (Checkerboard Squadron). All were F4U Corsair—The ones with the "Gull Wings"-- Planes from the Sicily were the first to drop bombs and engage enemy forces in Korea, and was the first American prop-driven plane to shoot down a MIG (Russian-built Jet Plane, which was flown by North Korean pilots) The Sicily, was also one of the last ships to see duty during the Korean War. Many Marines and Soldiers owe their lives to the Slow, low flying F4U's from the Sicily. Even though they were known as fast planes when needed, they could also fly very slow, when need be. Since they were assigned as "Close-air-Support", they would fly off the Sicily with heavy loads of bombs, napalm bombs, and 50 Caliber Machine Guns, and then when they saw where the ground-fighting was going on they would circle the area, very low, until they could see something they needed "to take care of" such as convoys of trucks, or moving soldiers, tanks, trains, entrenched soldiers, or in some cases, factories, or dams, then they would go in and drop their bombs, and strafe, "until the problem was take care of". Many times soldiers on the ground requested help, or that they saw large convoys, camouflaged trains etc. and jet planes would fly in to take care of it, but by the time the pilot saw what they were supposed to bomb or strafe and got back to where they saw it they were hidden up. (A jet plane flying at its cruising speed travels 8 to 10 miles while turning around, a prop driven plane flying as slow as it can, turns in a few hundred yards.) Many times planes would come back on the Sicily with pieces of rock or cement lodged in their fuselage or wings, from bunkers they had blown up at such low altitude, and often with pieces of trees stuck on the plane, because they had flown so close to the ground. At one time while we were operating near the delta of the Yalu River (a large river in Korea), an announcement was made on the public address system (pa) that the Yalu River was running red with the blood of thousands of soldiers, (wounded & dead) who were fighting for this river. A note was made of this in the ships log. (Record.) At one time we brought hundreds of Marines on board, who had been "pinned down" for several days, or weeks, by overwhelming out¬numbered troops, near the Chosen Reservoir, (Known as "The Frozen Chozen.) These Marines were brought aboard, with frost bitten hands feet & ears. Many had not eaten for days, none had showered or changed clothes for weeks or months. Many had not had ammunition for days, yet each clung to their rifles, and spent all of their spare time, cleaning & caring for their rifle. They wept with joy to have a "good Meal" and spent so much of their time in the showers, that the Sicily had to be put on "water hours" because it could not refine enough water. Some of them were even happy to wear donated Navy work uniforms while they could get theirs washed. We couldn't buy a pair of socks, or underwear on the ship until we got re-supplied.

Steve Burton Brown Life Story (partial)

Colaborador: toooldtohunt Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

STEVE BURTON BROWN BORN, MAY 25, 1931 In Huntington, Emery County Utah, The tenth of 10 children born to John William and Minnie Hall Brown. He had 3 sisters and 5 brothers. They are as follows: Clifton Charles, Leah Patricia, Edna, Delta Maude, Carl William, Erin Louis, Lenard Douglas, Leon Hall. Steve was born in the new home that his father had been building in town. He was blessed On September 6, 1931 by Pete Nielson at Huntington, Emery County Utah. His parents divorced when he was about nine months old. His father moved back up to the farm in the cabin they had lived in before they moved in to the new house, still unfinished. John lived in the cabin about four years before it caught fire and burned to the ground. He then built a cabin there and lived in it until he sold his farm years later. Both parents lived their entire life in Huntington. The children spent most of the time in town with their mother, However during the summer time spent a lot of time with their father on the farm. Steve was baptized on July 4 1943 by Edward Brinkerhoff. and was confirmed the same day by Ralph Chipman. His parent were not active in church, he doesn't remember of his parents either one of them taking the children to church. His mom tried to encourage him to go to primary, he did go a few times, but was not really interested in it so didn't go. He feels like he was left out of things quite a bit because of his parents being separated, He wasn't one of the neat ones. He tells of one incident when nobody could catch Ronald Bickmore, he was one of the neat ones. As they were choosing up sides for a game a couple of the girls (who Steve kinda liked) said who ever could catch Ronald could be on their team. Steve ran after Ronald and caught him. so they let him play on their team for a little while, then they said, "Steve can't play anymore." He said he just walked away, but was real hurt. He attended elementary School in Huntington. He remembers his first grade teacher was Miss Johnson." I thought she was pretty, and thought she could do no wrong." Miss Arnold his second grade teacher. Miss Spigerelli his third and Mrs. Knudsen fourth, fifth grade was Mr. Peacock. I don't remember that much about school the first few years, but I do know that I quite liked it. I remember I was scared one time when we were supposed to color this square blue and that circle orange and this circle red and that square brown and I was afraid to death that I was making mistakes, but I must have done pretty good. I'm sure that I knew my colors, but was afraid of tests as I have been most of my life. My 6th grade teacher was Clyde Conover, then as I went into the 7th grade and on up I had several teachers, each teaching a different thing. Mr. Peterson taught band, Mr Goulding Health and was our coach. Mr. Mortensen, math and chemistry, Mr. Hall shop and ag. Mrs. Hill, English Mrs. Johnson civics. Mr Williams was Seminary teacher. My earliest memory is when we were coming back from Moab. I saw two caterpillars (tractors) working off the road, one was yellow and one was green. I remember on Christmas I got a pearl handled pocket knife and orange, candy and nuts in my sock, another year I got a pocket watch, it had a place on back for initials, but it didn't have anything on it. I played with Wilford (Dude) and Dan Sherman. Leon and I were close. We played with Bob Sherman too. Von Wilson and I worked for Russell and Frank Jensen pulling milk weeds out of a patch of grain. Lawrence was the foreman He told me to go see Frank if he could use me somewhere else. He told Von that he could tell where we had weeded because mine wasn't pulled and I had left "elephant tracks besides". Next day he, Von come to Frank, It had been his rows he had seen instead of mine. Von called me baby elephant for quite awhile until I reminded him that it was him who had really left the elephant tracks and forgot to pull the weeds. Grant Wilson used to come to our place almost everyday on his way to the farm. He would stop and have tea with me and mom. The summer between the 7th and 8th grades brought some changes in my life and the way our family lived. It was about this time or maybe some before that my brother Leon was staying at the farm with my dad and working for him, then he started staying and working for my brother-in -law and sister, Delta and Neil Howard. I remember this was pretty lonely times for me. My mom and I were at home alone. I got a job for the canal company cleaning a tunnel where they were going to build a dam. I lived at the job with Ross Gordon who was a year or so older than I and we were there alone for about 10 days in a tent and we worked quite hard. Neither of us liked to cook very well, but survived. Then when we came home, mom didn't want me to go back up, she didn't think it was safe for the two of us to be there alone with no one to check on us. Ross got another boy about his age to go back with him and some of the people from the irrigation company told me they never got nearly as much done as we had and that they were still in bed a couple of times about 9 or 10 a.m. when they had come to check on them. I went to work for a guy Kiabab Frandson cutting timber with Wilford "Dude" Sherman. We didn't make much money and Dude was home sick, so he didn't stay long. I stayed another day or two and couldn't cut very well alone, so I left. I walked down trail canyon to Huntington canyon and caught a ride home. Ki brought my camping gear home, but, not my saw and ax. I made a couple of trips up there to get them. Finally got them. I caught a ride with Ernest Brinkerhoff. I then went to work for Ernest Brinkerhoff and soon Kyle who hauled mine props from Bicknell to Moreland mine. I helped them load trucks at night then gas them up and we'd leave about 3:a.m. for the mine. I would help unload. I got $5.00 per day and my board. I worked there just 8 days. When they got things pretty filled up and were not going to haul any more for a while. I worked on the thresher that fall, I didn't start school for a while, because of my job, I didn't get good grades at the starting of that year. My teacher Mrs. Johnson, was ugly when she first came. We had driven several teachers away that year. Mrs Johnson made the statement. She knew other teachers have left the school, but we just as well get used to the idea that her husband was in the army and she needed the job and she was going to be there until he got home. So if we wanted to get along and if we didn't we would have her for a while. Several of us thought and expressed our thoughts to each other that we would change her mind, she wouldn't stay long. Her husband came home about mid-way through the 8th grade and she announced she would be leaving as of a certain date. Several of us begged her to stay the rest of the year, but she wouldn't. The day she said good-bye I don't believe there was a dry eye in our class. She had to be one of the best and prettiest teachers we had. We had some very good teachers and I got along with all of them very well. The summer of the 9th grade I worked for my brothers and two other guys who had just been released from the service. They built a sawmill and I helped cut and saw timber for them. Also skidded timber with a team. We worked hard and didn't make much money, but I enjoyed being in the mountains and I really enjoyed being with my brother Lenard and his two friends Clair and John Nielson, who were funny guys and very good to work for. I enjoyed most of all not being around mom's husband.(Thomas). Lenard and I stayed there sometimes. The ninth grade passed very fast, without any incidents that I recall. I worked with my brother Carl at a sawmill most of that summer and stayed part of the week-ends with him and his wife which I enjoyed very much. I got my foot hurt that summer and was off work for two or three days, then it was just tender to walk on for several days. The 10th grade was not much different for me than others had been. We had a good basket ball team and I made the team and got to play a little. I even got to play in two state games. When we took the consolation title (5th place) I played for a couple of minutes in one game when we were so far behind, coach knew we'd never catch them and again in another game when we were about that far ahead. I quit school some early that year and with my two brothers, Lenard and Lou and their wives went into the timber for ourselves. We were joined by Leon after School let out and he graduated. I went to his graduation and bragged to some of my class mates about the good job I had and the money we were making (not really that good after the bills were paid) Leon was the only one of our family to graduate from High School. We did have a good summer and I enjoyed the work a lot. After we quit timbering for ourselves, Lou, Leon and I went to work for Jack Wimmer cutting and hauling timber. Leon and I bought a truck together, Lou had one. We enjoyed the work there and I got to drive truck quite a bit although I didn't have a drivers license. I worked for Jack drilling a tunnel for couple of weeks during the fall (about the time I should have started to school) Then I went back into the timber camp with my brothers and then we cut cedar posts for Jack. I cut 102 posts in one day with an ax. Leon and Lou cut about the same. We had 1000 to cut and wanted to get back to timbering, so although we'd been cutting 60-70 each per day, the last day we had 300 to go and decided we'd finish that day, which we did. I don't believe there are very many people who have cut more than that. We worked at Bear canyon mine that winter and until it closed that summer. We then worked for Radiant Coal co. and did some trucking for them. I drove truck for Jensen and Mangum hauling coal for most of one year. Then while we (Leon and I ) worked for Radiant Coal co. We also worked part of a shift at Meeting house mine, loading coal. Then when the owner fired the two guys working day shift because they wouldn't stay and get more coal out when they had a truck partly loaded, we went to work there full time. The first day we worked full time we got 12 shuttle cars of coal. The other guys never had got more than 8 cars, usually in about 6 hours. We were on contract and in the year that we worked there we never got less than 12 cars. We got 22 cars one day, which was a record that stood until the mine closed. Leon and I bought a new mercury car (1949) together and used to take off Saturday afternoon after we got at least 12 cars of coal and usually went to the Uintah Basin, Talmage and Mt. Home where we went with different girls and finally we both met our future wives. We would go to a dance or show Saturday night and usually a picnic or just a drive around on Sunday, once in a while to church, then a show Sunday night, then drive back home. We often got home just in time to change our clothes and go to work, but we were usually ready to go again the next Saturday. We lived with Mom and her new husband, Charlie Petetti, who we liked pretty well (he was a good worker). We paid board and room and also paid mom to do our washing for us. She was always pretty persistent that we stay clean. While I drove truck for J & M trucking and Leon worked for Radiant Coal we lived at a boarding house in Huntington. Nida Howard. Leon and I worked at meeting house mine until 1950 when we both quit and tried to sign up on a merchant marine ship, but there was none available at that time so we both joined the navy. When we went for a Physical Leon had to have an operation before he could pass, so we both waited for a while. I worked some at the coal mine while waiting, then I decided I'd better go or I would be drafted. I went in and was just about through "Boot Camp" when Leon came in. Our Sister Pat's only boy also went in the Navy about the same time and we saw him several times. He was a signalman and Leon and I were both radiomen, so when our ships were tied up close or a couple of times when we met, in the Pacific. We'd talk to each other via flashing lights. Leon and I got high enough scores when we enlisted that we could have our choice of staying together or going to a class A School. We chose to stay together. We both went to Class "A" schools later (Radio school). I went to Treasure Island out of Boot camp to await transfer to the ship I was assigned to (and would spend the rest of my 4 years on) the USS Sicily, CVE-118 a small carrier which carried a squadron of prop driven planes. Usually F4U's and a couple of helicopters for rescue. I traveled by ship. TII. to Yokosuka, Japan, then by train to Sasaboo and Kobe Japan where I caught the Sicily. I was assigned to Radio Division (0-R) I was a messenger for the first while. Leon came aboard some time later and was assigned to deck division for a while then to (0-R) division. I went to Radio School, just before he came on. Then when I got through School, they sent me the same route to catch the ship again. When I caught it Leon had been transferred back to the United States to go to radio school. So we missed each other by a couple of days. We didn't get together until I had been in the Navy almost a year. He came back to the same ship and we worked and slept near each other most of the rest of the time in the Navy. Almost the entire time we were on the ship we were on Port and starboard watches (one on-one off) because of shortage of qualified radiomen. This was very tiring and sometimes I would dream I was still copying Morse code. We all worked very hard. We had the Black Sheep squadron (Marine) and also Checker Board squadron (Navy) aboard at different times and both made a very good record for themselves. We of course were never mentioned but we were there to support them at all times. A plane from the Sicily was the first American Pilot to shoot down a jet with a prop driven plane. A British pilot got the first one about a week before him. We made 4 tours to the far east ranging from 6 to 10 months each. It was during our last tour there they announced the peace treaty and we went to an anti Submarine Warfare training schedule. One of the first the Navy had. We came back to the States and put the Sicily in Mothballs. I was one of the last men off her. I was sent to Treasure Island for an honorable discharge after that. Allie and I were married January 29, 1952 in the Manti LDS Temple, while I was on leave. Leon and Roxella were married just a week before we were. They were married in the Manti temple also. During the time we had worked at Meeting House coal mine, we hadn't been able to get all of our wages. The owner was getting further behind all the time. He finally told us that he was probably going to take out bankruptcy. He had a small farm in Huntington which he was buying from his dad. He asked us if we'd want to take that and pay him the balance, for what he owed us. I decided I'd rather have the farm than loose the wages we still had coming, so I took the farm and he applied what he owed Leon and I to a down payment. Mom and her husband Charlie, borrowed money to finish paying if off. and during the time I was in the Navy I paid payments to Leon and to Mom and I remember, we got Leon paid off about the time I got out of the Navy, but paid Mom and Charlie for a long time afterward. It was pretty tough time financially . I was honorably discharged from the Navy on June 25, 1954 and when I got home I went to work for Dinosaur Tire Service in Price. I worked there for about two months, then quit because I wasn't making only just enough to buy my gas to go to work and back. I went to work for Nielson Brothers Const, co. of Huntington on Miller's Flat Reservoir (The same res. that I had cleaned tunnel for several years before) I worked there (camped on the job) for about two months and got my hand smashed. I was off work for several weeks. The compensation did not come until I was released from the Doctor's care. I hauled coal to Talmage and Mt. Home in the truck Leon and I had bought. I had traded him my share of the mercury for the truck while we were in the navy. I made a little bit of money but the expenses took most of it. I signed up to go to Carbon College while I was still under the doctor's care. I started winter quarter, then went straight through and graduated on my birthday May 25, 1956. with an associate degree and a scholarship to Utah State University, (at that time it was called Agriculture college) While at Carbon College I took the tests for Utah Highway Patrol weighman got #3 on the roster, but decided not to take that position since I had heard they were going to send all newly hired to Wendover or Monticello, and I didn't want to go either. I later took the test for trooper and got #7 on that list so I decided to take it. I thought I could use my scholarship if I could be sent to or near Logan. They were going to hire a trooper for Tremonton and I thought maybe I could get that position and go to school a couple of years, then go to teaching or go on to vet school and the Highway Patrol was going to be a stepping stone to a better job or more school. When the appointment came it was for a trooper in Loa, Wayne County. A place that I had been through a few times years earlier at 3:a.m. and late afternoon hauling timber. But we thought it would be better than running a farm and a motel and working in a service station all at the same time as I had been doing for the past several months, besides going to school. I knew that I would have to stay there for at least a year before I could ask for a transfer to another duty station. I did put in for transfers back to Emery or Carbon and to Duchesne Co. After I had been in Wayne County for a year and wondered a couple of times why a newer man than I had gotten the position. I found out some years later that at least one of my bosses and probably two of them were not turning in the requests for transfer because he wanted me to stay in Wayne County. During the first year on the Highway Patrol they asked me if I wanted to transfer to Panguitch, I told them no. Then later they asked if I wanted to go to Fillmore, again I told them no. It looked for a while as if I may have to take one or the other. I finally told the bosses that I didn't want to transfer to either, but if I had to I would. I had learned to Love Wayne Co. and the people here and unless I could transfer to some place that I wanted to go I would rather stay right here. I did for 26 plus years on Utah Highway Patrol and 4 more as Sheriff and I still love the place and the people. I would like to tell a little about my brother Lou (Erin Louis). He was always a hard worker. I've heard lots of people brag about how much he could get done, whether it was pitching hay-grain, shoveling coal, cutting timber or just about anything else that required darn hard work. I was always the one that got to tromp hay on the wagons and trucks, because I was the littlest one on the crew and never, did "get" to pitch hay on the other side of the wagon from Lou, I could see from my vantage spot above the field just what was going on. No matter who was pitching on the opposite side of the truck from Lou, they had to hurry to keep up and it was always them, not Lou that had to holler for the driver to stop. If there was a heavy row Lou took it and still stayed up or ahead and when you looked back along the field Lou's row was always cleaned up a little better than the other side. The few times that I was on the other end of a "rub iron" with Lou sawing timber he never got cross with me when I made mistakes or "drug my feet while I rode" he just explained what I was doing wrong and helped me to learn to do it right. He always had a sharp ax and saw, and when I had to sit for a minute to rest, he'd sharpen my ax. Lou always had a way with animals and could get the most out of a team or horse and never abused them, or let anyone else. I'll never forget the time at the sawmill when we had a real big log to skid to the truck and the other bunch of guys cutting timber for Wimmers saw it and one of them said, "Let's just set here and watch while he balks that team of mice." The three or four of them set down and watched. Lou hooked Chub and Dan to the log and Leon and I put the green quaken aspen tree pieces nearby so we could throw them under when he started them. Lou put a couple of them to the side of the log and had the team pull sideways until it was on the green limbs and the bark split off the quaken asp trees and was just like grease for the log to slide on. The team pulled the log several lengths of itself and then Lou let them stop for a "puff" and repeated the process until we had the log where we wanted to load it. The guys that had been watching, just got up and walked off without a word while Lou petted Chub and Dan. Leon and I about busted our buttons cause we were so proud of our Brother and his team of mice. I was the truck driver, I don't know why, probably because I rode and drug my feet too hard when I sawed. I remember one day when we had a load on the truck (10 wheeler) to take to the mine, (we just did that when we were going in to town, we usually cut skidded and hauled to the mill) We had a pretty good load on the truck at the mill. (they loaded it while we were hauling and cutting timber) while we were chaining the load down Lou told me to start the truck and let it run for a few minutes then when I started to just leave it in first gear and wind it up pretty good until I was away from the mill and up on the road. I did that and never had a minutes trouble. I didn't know until afterwards that the other timber crew had loaded their truck to go to town also, but when they went to pull out they powered out and couldn't pull onto the road, they tried several times and the guy driving said, "It's got enough power, but the motor just keeps dying." They had to pull their truck out with a cat, and they were watching to see me get stuck also. If it hadn't been for Lou's suggestion I would sure have pleased all of the on lookers. I gave Carol (Lou’s daughter) a ride in the old 10 wheeler that I'm sure she, nor I will ever forget. When she rode to the sawmill with a load of logs. We loaded too many butts back and had too much weight on the tag axle so when we started up a real steep hill and I shifted to first, the front end came off the ground so I eased off and it came back down so I could steer, but I couldn't pull it. Each time I'd give it more gas the front end would raise up and finally lifted the drivers enough that I couldn't go forward and I started to roll backwards. I'd hit the brakes and it would come down just a second then back in the air again. I could steer it for the second it was on the ground and since I could see I was getting closer to the edge of the dugway road, and I knew if I went off sideways I would roll it over, so when it hit the ground again I spun the wheel around so we'd go straight down the hill instead of angling off. We were bouncing in the air down the side hill with the front wheels in the air about 10 feet and the cab about that high and Carol screaming that she wanted to get out and me hollering for her to set down and shut up and honking the air horn so Lou and Leon would see what was going on and come and help us, IF there was enough left to help. When we FINALLY got stopped after what seemed to me hours, and I'm sure just as long to Carol, we were setting with the back of the logs touching the ground, the drivers off the ground some and the cab at least 10 feet off the ground. Lou and Leon came running to where we were just about as soon as we stopped. They had to help both of us to the ground. When we got brave enough to try it again after backing the truck into a tree and pushing the load forward some. We hooked the old army chev to the front real close and went to the sawmill with no problem. While we worked out there Shirley (Lou’s wife) cooked for us. There was always a real good meal for us when we came from work and a good breakfast ready as soon as we got up and took care of the horses. Leon and I went to Bear Canyon looking for a job. The guy we asked about a job (who we later found out was Al Stobough, the owner of the mine.) told us he didn't have any jobs for us and two dejected, rejected kids were ready to walk down that long canyon again. We asked him if he'd put our names down and if something did come up to let us know, he said he would but I don't think he had any intentions of doing so. He had to hunt for a pencil and a piece of paper, (probably a check blank). We told him our names and where we lived. He said, "Are you Carl and Lou's brothers?" We said, "Yes." He said, "Oh, I think we could find a job for you if your Carl and Lou's brothers. We both knew it was because they were such good workers that we got a chance to work and we all stayed there as long as we wanted to. It was while we were working there, that Stobaugh bought a horse from Charlie Petitti (Lou had arranged the sale and the buy) Charlie told Lou how mean (King, I believe was the horses name) the horse was, that he was balky, Lou was determined to give him a try. Since he was such a big horse he should be a good worker, but he was wild and "snuffy". Lou let him run into the mine with the other horses one day while we were working. Then the next day he hooked him on a mine cart and started to haul coal with him, but he balked with a load and though I wanted to kill him or at least beat him half to death because he was twice as big as poor old crippled Frank who had been pulling coal out of the mine for years. Lou wouldn't let me thump on him, but just petted and talked to him and I'll never forget when we got out with one load Lou petted and rubbed him and said, "There King isn't that better than 2X4 salve?" It wasn't long until he was pulling coal just like old Frank and he never had to lead him just turn him loose and he'd go back to the same room he'd came out of last, or if Lou wanted him to go to a different room he'd holler Gee or Haw and King would go right or left. When Lou worked at Wattis coal mine during WW2, they were trying to put out as much coal as possible, and anybody that would work overtime, or "double back"(work two shifts in a row) was welcome to. I don't know how many times Lou did this, but I do remember at one time, he worked 18 shifts in a week (24 hours off, in 7 days.) Lou was a very good cook, and when we "batched" together he did most of the cooking. Whatever he cooked always tasted good, but we especially enjoyed his, "Everything but the Kitchen Stove Soup" then when anything would come up missing we would ask if he had put it in his soup. Every farmer around Huntington wanted Lou to help them in the hay or grain, so he never lacked for a job. Neil Howard told me several times, that Lou was the best grain pitcher he ever had on his thrasher, because he pitched so steady and never stopped. Lenard said that he always remembered Lou as a kind and caring Brother. He said that when they were small and Carl was so crippled with rheumatoid arthritis, that he could not walk, Lou would carry him out to the little red wagon and take him to the outside toilet and carry him to it and wait for him and take him back to the house and never complained about doing it, because he was his Brother.

Life timeline of Steve Burton Brown

Steve Burton Brown was born on 25 May 1931
Steve Burton Brown was 13 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
Steve Burton Brown was 24 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Steve Burton Brown was 33 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
Steve Burton Brown was 42 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
Steve Burton Brown was 55 years old when Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission: Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board. The Space Shuttle program was the fourth human spaceflight program carried out by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), which accomplished routine transportation for Earth-to-orbit crew and cargo from 1981 to 2011. Its official name, Space Transportation System (STS), was taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development.
Steve Burton Brown was 68 years old when Columbine High School massacre: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado. The Columbine High School massacre was a school shooting that occurred on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School in Columbine, an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Colorado, United States, in the Denver metropolitan area. In addition to the shootings, the complex and highly planned attack involved a fire bomb to divert firefighters, propane tanks converted to bombs placed in the cafeteria, 99 explosive devices, and car bombs. The perpetrators, senior students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered 12 students and one teacher. They injured 21 additional people, and three more were injured while attempting to escape the school. The pair subsequently committed suicide.
Steve Burton Brown was 73 years old when Facebook, a mainstream online social networking site, is founded by Mark Zuckerberg. Facebook is an American online social media and social networking service company based in Menlo Park, California. Its website was launched on February 4, 2004, by Mark Zuckerberg, along with fellow Harvard College students and roommates Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes.
Steve Burton Brown died on 4 Sep 2010 at the age of 79
Grave record for Steve Burton Brown (25 May 1931 - 4 Sep 2010), BillionGraves Record 3763438 Loa, Wayne, Utah, United States