Ted Farrell Low

29 Aug 1945 - 8 Jul 1965

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Ted Farrell Low

29 Aug 1945 - 8 Jul 1965
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

TED FARRELL LOW MY YOUNGER BROTHER I think I should write some of my remembrances of my younger brother, Ted, Farrell Low (b.29 Aug. 1945, d. 8 July 1965) as I doubt that anyone else will have much to say about him, and he was too fine a boy and young man, to just let go the way of the world. Ted wa
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Ted Farrell Low
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Ted Farrell Low


Smithfield City Cemetery

376-424 E Center St
Smithfield, Cache, Utah
United States


May 1, 2012


April 15, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Ted Farrell...

We found more records about Ted Farrell Low.

Grave Site of Ted Farrell


Ted Farrell Low is buried in the Smithfield City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ted Farrell Low - my younger brother

Colaborador: lrehmltn Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

TED FARRELL LOW MY YOUNGER BROTHER I think I should write some of my remembrances of my younger brother, Ted, Farrell Low (b.29 Aug. 1945, d. 8 July 1965) as I doubt that anyone else will have much to say about him, and he was too fine a boy and young man, to just let go the way of the world. Ted was 8 years my younger, and as active a boy as you have ever been around. He was active to the point, that some times he would be in your hair. His activity always seemed to get him in to trouble, of one kind or another. Ted was a slight built young man, probably weighed around 130 lb. when he was full grown. He had sharper features than the rest of the family, and a little quicker in movement, more like the Pilkingtons, and he was blond, much unlike the rest of us. He had a very cute sense of humor, that started at a very young age. I remember one time he came home from school, and said that he had some jokes he wanted to share with us. the joke was, “a man was walking down the street, and another man ask him if he had a match, the 1st man answered, no, but I have a tooth pick.” And Ted laughed and laughed, then he tells another story, “ a man was walking down the street with a carrot in his ear, another man stopped him and said, hey mister, you have a carrot in your ear, the 1st man said, what’s that, I can’t hear you, I have a carrot in my ear.” Again the laughter. When Ted was around 5 or 6 years old, Mom and Dad took the whole family to Salt Lake City to visit their cousins, Ralph and Marion Smith. Ted was playing in the back yard, swinging on a yard swing. Some how he fell off and broke his arm. I think it was his right arm. They took him to a DR., which happened to be a childhood friend of Dad’s, Dr. Wayne Smith. Dr. Smith set the arm and wrapped it in the most terrible looking bandage that I have ever seen. That broken arm must have been a warning of things to come for Ted, as he seemed to be hurt all the time. I think it was in 1953, when Ted was 8 years old, he contracted Polio, a very deadly and crippling disease. He was taken to St. Benedict, hospital, in Ogden, and was there for quite a few weeks. I am told that he was a very sick boy, and on 2 occasions, the attending nurse, thought he had died, and covered his face with the sheet. Mom, who was with him almost all of the time, would not accept that, and uncovered him and some how got him breathing again. I went to see him one time in the hospital, it was a terrible sight, hoses coming out of his mouth and nose, IV lines going in both arms, he didn’t look like my little brother at all. He survived the disease, and returned home, to recuperate. However, there was some permanent damage to his body. He was partially paralyzed on the left side of his neck and shoulder and arm. This also affected the left side of his tongue and throat, but it did not affect his activity. He got along very well and compensated for the lack of use of his left side, which ended up to be very little, by extra development of his right side. I think it was shortly after he had recovered from the Polio, that we were building a new Church house just up the street from where we lived. There were big marble columns that held up the steeple. This day there was a rope hanging from the steeple and Ted thought it would be fun to swing on the rope. A big run and a long swing, and a hard return. When he came back, his head hit the corner of one of the columns and cut a large gash in his fore head. We took him up to Dr. Bob, and I remember Bob swabbing out the cut with a cotton swab, and then just sticking the swab into the cut and leaving it there until, he got all the sewing up stuff ready. It made an impression on me. That long stick, just sticking out of Ted’s head. Ted lived life fast, it seemed like he could not get enough of everything. When he studied, he would listen to radio, play his record player and watch TV all at the same time. When the rest of us did something fun, Ted would do it also, but just a litter faster, or harder, or more dangerous. We had a thing we would do in the winter, we would hook a long rope to a tractor, usually a fast one. And then we would hook an old car hood onto the other end of the rope. One of us would sit on the car hood, and the tractor would pull us around the roads, that were packed with snow, or take us out in a field, and spin us in circles, so that you got the full benefit of the centrifugal force. It was dangerous enough just to sit on the car hood, but Ted had to stand on it. I have seen him literally flying around in circles, standing up on that contraption. I guess it is no wonder that he was always hurt. One time , shortly after returning from my mission. I took the Ward boys up Black Smith Fork canyon, for a winter camp out. Right behind the little lodge we were staying in, was a steep hill. All the boys were sliding down the hill on inter tubes. Somewhere Ted found an old piece of tin roofing. He pulled it way up past the normal place where the other boys were sliding from, may be three times as far, and really steep. Then down he comes, I think he only hit the mountain about three times all the way down. it scared me to death just to watch him. No one else dared to try it, but Ted did it 2 or 3 times. Some where I have picture of him doing it. The winter after I returned from my mission, Ted and I decided to go Ice Skating down on the Clay Slew, west of Almaga. We hadn’t been skating very long, when Ted fell backward, the first thing that hit the ice was his left elbow. The minute he fell I knew that the elbow was broken. I got him loaded into the car, and took him to the Dr. office in Smithfield. Dr. Ed took one look at the arm, and sent us on to the Logan hospital. I was not driving really fast, but I was trying to hurry and get Ted to the hospital, at about North Logan, a car pulled out in front of me and I had to put on breaks pretty hard, Ted instinctively, put his arms out to catch himself. It really hurt the broken elbow, and I think it did a lot more damage. The elbow was broken very badly, it required surgery, and it those days the knowledge, and skills were not as good as they are now. Ted spent 2 weeks in the hospital, one of them was the Christmas of 1961, and when he got out, the elbow was pretty ridged, it moved about 5 or 10 degrees is all. It was his left, and that was the side that was affected by the Polio. But again he compensated and most people would hardly notice there was any thing wrong with the arm. He did every thing any one else did, he worked just as hard, and seemed to have no limitations. One thing he did do, was build up tremendous right arm, he could do one arm pull ups, one handed push ups, and just as many as most men with two good arms. You never wanted to play tether ball with him, he could hit the ball so hard, that I would not dare go after it. one time, he hit the ball so hard, that it tour the ball apart, and sent it flying over to the neighbors. He had a way with animals, it seemed like he would bring every stray dog or cat that was in the area home, they would just follow him. He would walk home from school, and many time have several dogs, or cat following behind him. We would have to gather them up and take them back to their owners. One time he took my 16 gage single shot, shot gun, and walked down the fields west of town. There were a couple of slews down there that we hunted ducks on. He was gone for some time, and I remember him walking up the sidewalk coming home. He had two or three duck in his hand that he had shot, and following him were three or four live wild ducks walking along behind him. I don’t know how he did it, but the ducks were there. He took them out in the pasture/ barn area where there was a watering trough, and they stayed around for a few days, but finally flew away. Ted loved to hunt ducks, and every thing else. I remember one Saturday morning, Ted, Dad, and I had gone down to the Clay slew duck hunting. We were walking out to a pond of water, when Dad said he had a personal job he had to do. He stopped behind some sage brush, and Ted and I walked on. We had only gone a short distance, when a large flock of geese got up off the pond and flew to the East and then way to the South. Ted and I stood and watched them, as they turned and headed straight for us, we hurried to a fence line, and I told Ted to stand next to a post and not to move. The geese kept coming, and got lower and lower. They were going to land back on the pond. They came right over Ted and I, at about 40 feet in the air. I was waiting for Ted to shoot, and the flock started to pass over us. and still no shot from Ted. Then I heard Dad yelling, “shoot Rod , shoot,” he was running toward us, with his paints about half mast, and yelling as loud as he could. I picked out a bird and was just about to pull the trigger, when Ted shot and the exact bird I was aiming at, folded. I quickly changed to another one, and folded it, and then Ted and I got a third one together. I think the scene was rather memorable. Ted and I trying to decide which one is going to shoot and at what goose to shoot. and Dad running across the barrens pulling up his paints and boots with one hand, his gun and other gear in the other, and yelling at the top of his voice, ”shoot, Rod, Shoot.” Ted had a dog named Nick. Nick was a cross breed between a female Wymeroner, and a male Dalmatian. Ted and Nick went every where together. I had been married a few months, and Peg was about 4 months pregnant with Chris.. I happened to be down town one day and went into a sporting goods store. They had a little Crossman, slide barrel, bee bee gun on sale, and I bought it, for my son to be. I made the mistake of showing it to Ted, and He ask me if he could use it for a little while, until the baby was born. Ted would put Nick into Dads old green and white Ford pick up, and drive around town with windows down. Nick would stick his head out of the window and bark, attracting any dog that happened to be in the area. Ted would use the bee bee gun to shoot the dogs with. This must have been a fun thing for Ted to do, as before Chris was born, the bee bee gun was worn out, completely worn out. I still have the gun, and have considered having it fixed, but Crossman discontinued making that model, and besides, the memory is too good to change. Another time, Ted and Nick went hunting ducks over in Amalga. Ted shot a duck that fell out in a newly dried up slew. Ted walked out into the muddy slew to retrieve the duck. As long as he kept moving he could manage the sticky mud, but when he stopped to pick up the duck, his feet got stuck in the mud. He lost his boots in the mud, and still could not get free. Now he was laying in the mud and could not move. He called Nick to him, and when the dog got there, Ted laid him down in the mud beside him, and then crawled over Nick, he would then pull Nick out of the mud, and roll him over top, and so the two of them rolled together out of the mud. When they got home, you never saw such a mess, both man and dog were coated , from head to toe in about 2 inches of sticky, clay, gumbo mud, but thankful to be out of it. When he was old enough, and had worked long enough to get a car of his own, he bought a 1960 ford. He loved that car, and drove it pretty hard. He loved to make it slide in the winter time on the slick roads. One Saturday, I was at home in our apt. on 1st West in Logan. Ted had been to see his girl friend, who lived in the south west part of Logan. He left her house and made a hard, fast turn onto 1st West, the slid off the road and ended up in the gutter, hard, bending the front tie rod. He walked to my house and told me of the problem, together we went down and looked the situation over, and decided to fix the car right where it was. We went to a junk yard, got a new tie rod, went to a friend and borrowed a tool needed to take the rod off, and reinstalled the new tie rod right there in the gutter. Ted thought I was the greatest mechanic in the world. He drove the car away, and it really did not take all that long. I think it was on the 2 of July, 1965, Ted had been to the wedding of his best friend, who married his girl friends sister. When he got home, he told Mom that he had a real bad head ache, and went to bed. The next morning the head ache was worse, Mom called me and ask if I would come up and give Ted a blessing, which I did. The head ache got worse and the next day they took Ted to the hospital. His temperature was running very high, and everything the Dr. did, did not seem to help, and soon Ted was in a coma. On the 7th of July, I went to the hospital to see him. It was in the early after noon, and just as I got there, the nurse was in the room trying to get Ted to breath. She hurried and brought a breathing machine into the room, and ask me if I could help her. She told me what to do, and as she held the mask on Ted’s face, I ran the switch on the machine to simulate my breathing. When I breathed out, I would turn the machine off, when I breathed in, I would turn the machine on, and so the process went. The nurse had called for help, but none came. We worked and worked, for what seemed a very long time, and it was 45 minutes or more. Finally Dr. Ed came into the room, he took one look and let out an oath. He explained that when the hospital called him, they did not tell him how serious the problem was, and so he had taken his time getting to the hospital. He cleaned Ted’s throat of flem that had collected, Ted started to breath on his own, and then DR. Ed told me that he would make arrangements to have Ted transferred to the Dee hospital in Ogden, where they had an iron lung, if Ted needed it. Dr. Ed rode with Ted in the ambulance, and I drove his car to Ogden. Mom and Dad came to Ogden and stayed with Uncle Jay and Aunt Fay. I came home, and the next morning, Marilyn, Dale, and Peg and I drove to Ogden early in the morning of the 8th. We were just approaching the hospital, when we saw Uncle Jay’s car coming toward us. Jay saw us, and was waving for us to follow him. We all drove to Jay and Fay’s house, where Jay told us that Ted had died early that morning. That was 8 July, 1965. It was an awful blow to the whole family, but Mom and Dad were devastated. I don’t think they ever really got over it. Mom would get physically sick every year, from the 1st of July, until after the 8th. I talked to Mom about Ted’s death just a year or so before she passed away, and even after nearly 40 years, she could hardly talk about it. Ted died very young, but he had stuffed a lot of living in the nearly 20 years he lived. He was a good boy, and a great young man. He loved his heavenly Father. He was to have given a talk in Church the Sunday after he died. Mom was going through his things in his room, and found where he had been preparing the talk. In his Bible, a marker was placed at the scripture in St. John 14:2, “In my fathers house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.” We all felt that Ted was actually telling us something, and that he had a great work to do, and he is now doing it. Rod Low, 1 May 2005

Life timeline of Ted Farrell Low

Ted Farrell Low was born on 29 Aug 1945
Ted Farrell Low was 8 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Ted Farrell Low died on 8 Jul 1965 at the age of 19
Grave record for Ted Farrell Low (29 Aug 1945 - 8 Jul 1965), BillionGraves Record 980104 Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States