Thomas H. Barnes

1869 - 1940

You are viewing BillionGraves in Português. Change to English

Thomas H. Barnes

1869 - 1940
edit Editar Registo
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Written by his daughter Ada Bethiah Barnes Christensen John Hillman Barnes, son of James Thomas Barnes and Prudence Hillman Barnes, was born 4 October 1855 at Blaina, Monmouthshire, England and blessed 10 January 1857. He was the third child in a family of nine with two preceding him in death and on
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Thomas H. Barnes
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Thomas H. Barnes


Ririe-Shelton Cemetery

182 E 129 N
Ririe, Bonneville, Idaho
United States


May 19, 2013


May 17, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Thomas H....

We found more records about Thomas H. Barnes.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Thomas H.


Thomas H. Barnes is buried in the Ririe-Shelton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Colaborador: jalilo Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Written by his daughter Ada Bethiah Barnes Christensen John Hillman Barnes, son of James Thomas Barnes and Prudence Hillman Barnes, was born 4 October 1855 at Blaina, Monmouthshire, England and blessed 10 January 1857. He was the third child in a family of nine with two preceding him in death and one boy adopted. He was baptized 25 October 1863 in Wales. His family moved around in various small towns because of the persecution they suffered because they were Mormons. John would start school and when they found out he was a Mormon, he was expelled. In spite of the things they suffered, John never lost his faith even as a small lad. When he was old enough, he went to work in the coal mines with his father. He tried to go to night school but was discharged there also, for being a Mormon. They were forced to move from town to town because people would find out they were Mormons and the ridicule and persecution would force them out. John's brothers and sisters are listed in order of birth. Louise was born 13 July 1852 at Staffordan, Wiltshire England. She only lived two months passing away 19 September 1852. The first son James was born 19 August 1853 at Holt, Wiltshire, England. He also died but he was a young man nineteen years of age. Nothing is mentioned pertaining to cause of death and to date, a death notice or entry has not been found. He passed away 17 February 1872. John was born in Blaina 4 October 1855, Robert H. was born 14 December 1857 also in Blaina, Monmouthshire, England. Eliza Ann was born 10 January 1860 in Pralue, Glmgn, Wales. Emily Jane was born 8 May 1862 at Blaina, Monmouthshire, England. Thomas Hillman born 26 August 1869 at Rhymney, Mon mouthshire, England, William James Barnes was born 24 January 1872 also at Rhymney but only living a little over a month. He passed away on 4 March 1872. The last child was named James Tho mas Barnes. This child was adopted. He was born 16 May 1880 also at Rhymney, Monmouthshire, England. However, he only lived about seven months, dying 13 September 1880. Out of nine chil dren, John grew up with only two brothers and two sisters. In 1874, while living in Wales, John's father, James Thomas Barnes, was working in the coal mines and iron works. There came to him a miraculous healing power. He was working at the iron works when a terrible accident happened. James was quite a large built man, not too tall but rather broad. As he was working, he was caught in the machinery and went through the large spindles. These spindles were only six inches apart. When he was taken from the machinery his body and bones were most mashed and bro ken. He was taken home for dead. John was nineteen at the time. When he was told of the terrible accident at work he ran all the way home with a prayer in his heart and repeating "No, he isn't dead, he isn't dead, he can't die, please Father in Heaven he can't die". When John reached his home he ran into the house and saw the awful condition his father was in and although he saw how his body was mashed so badly he still said. "He isn't dead, he will not die, he can't die". They immediately sent for the Elders to Administer to him. When they arrived, they were shocked to see the condition James was really in. They immediately anointed him, then administered to him, asking that the Lord's will be done. John said while they had their hands upon James head, they could hear the broken and crushed bones just snapping back into place again. He was healed by the faith and by the laying on of hands by the Holy Priesthood of God. James was restored and lived an active life for another twenty four years. John witnessed this miraculous healing of his father through the Power of the Priesthood, through his faith and through the power of prayer because he knew his father would not die. His family had joined the church in 1850, five years before John was born but they had long desired to emigrate to Zion. They had gone through such a hard time and endured so much since joining the church that they longed to be free and worship with other church members in America. They had worked and saved but still did not have enough money as yet. They were anxious to come to Utah and be with the main body of the Church. They borrowed money from friends and relatives and with what they had saved, had enough to send John and his youngest sister, Emily first. They could not arrange for the family to all come at the same time so it was decided to go in three different companies. John and Emily left Wales 19 September 1877 settled in South Cottonwood (Murray), Utah. Nothing was mentioned in his history regarding how they got from Wales to Utah. We are still trying to find any information we can. The second company to go was Prudence, John's mother and his two brothers Robert H. and Thomas H. They emigrated 21 May 1881 from Liverpool on the Steamship "Wyoming" with 278 Saints on board. Elder Joseph R. Matthews was in charge of the Company. They arrived in New York 1 June 1881 and arrived at Salt Lake 10 June 1881. What a joyous reunion they had when they saw John and Emily again. They were so glad that their mother and Robert and Thomas had made it safely to Salt Lake. They all settled in South Cottonwood. But now, they were more anxious than ever to have their father and the one remaining sister, Eliza Ann, with them. They began to make plans to help them join them in South Cottonwood. In Wales, James and Eliza Ann were also trying to get money together to emigrate as soon as possible. Finally with help from America and Wales, their dreams were realized. James knew the Lord had blessed them greatly and he prayed the Lord would again help them on their journey and see them safely to a reunion with their family. Five months later on Saturday, 22 October 1881 they embarked from Liverpool on the Steamship "Wyoming" with 396 Saints aboard with Lyman R. Martineau in charge. The company landed in New York 2 November 1881, passing the Castle Gardens the same day and arrived at Ogden and Salt Lake City 11 November 1881. What a day that was. They were overjoyed and thanked our Heavenly Father for bringing them all safely across the Great Waters, the country to the Rocky Mountains and on to Salt Lake. Now they can worship the Lord as they please. How wonderful it was for them to be in America all together. John Met and married Sarah Ann Leek. Two daughters were born to them. Prudence L. Barnes and Eva Barnes. Sarah died and also baby Eva. Prudence was then raised by John's parents. On 19 July 1882, at South Cottonwood, Utah, John married Bethiah Wilkins Hammond. Bethiah had also emigrated to America and she had also been married before and her parents were raising her daughter, Isabelle. They were married by a Justice of the Peace, Ishmall Phillips, Union Precinct, Salt Lake City, Utah. We have their Marriage Certificate in his book. Nine children were born to them including one set of twins. I, Ada, am the one sur viving twin. Three children died in infancy. On 21 December 1889, John received his Certificate of Citi zenship from the United States of America, Territory of Utah, Third Judicial District Court. What a Christmas present this must have been for him. We have that Certificate in his book. In the spring of 1893, John moved his family to Idaho to farm with his father. His father had taken Homestead at Willow Creek at Shelton a few years before. His father had promised to give him forty acres of ground and water rights. He said he could farm for one year free and he could settle with him end of second year. However, something went wrong. We know father never did get the land. It was shortly after this arrival that their only son Christy died of exposure. The family then moved to Eagle Rock (Idaho Falls, Idaho). Times were very hard for them for awhile. Money was very scarce and jobs were only for menial wages. Mother said that father used to cook in some eating place downtown. They finally had another son, William James. When he was six months old they moved to Rounds Fruit Farm John managed this farm. They lived there in Idaho Falls for about twenty years. Life was better for them there. We used to have such fun. But we worked too. It was at a dance in the Berry house that I met my husband, Andy. Their daughter Ada had married Andrew Eskild Christensen in 1907 and they were living in Montpelier at this time. Sometime during the next three years John, Bethiah and family moved to Montpelier also. In the 1910 Census of East Montpelier Precinct shows John, age 54, Bethiah age 48, married 27 years, 10 children with 7 living, Born Wales and England, year of immigration, 1874 for Bethiah and 1877 for John, they could both read and write, John put laborer and odd jobs under occupation, indicated they were renting their house. Children living in the home are Beat rice, twenty one years of age, working out for private family, Emily eighteen years of age, also working out for private family, Lucy, fourteen years of age, and William J. twelve years old. All could read and write. Lucy and William were attending school. Their house number was 93 and the house was on 4th. Avenue. Ada and Andrew's home was number 91 also on 4th. Avenue. Apparently there was one house between them. A copy of this cen sus is in his book. John was ill several months with stomach cancer. Bethiah made him a nice room in a building out back away from the house because he would cry and scream so with pain. It was so hard for the children to hear. John finally passed away 17 February 1913 at home in his room. His body was shipped from Montpelier to Idaho falls for burial. Funeral services were held from the Chapel of the Idaho Falls Undertaking Company. Services were in charge of Bishop Crabtree. Interment was in his family Plot (Block 91, Lot 2, Old Part) in the Rose Hill Cemetery in Idaho Falls, Idaho, 20 February 1913. John was a very honest man. Although he never had a wealth in material things, he had a wealth in the Gospel and his faith was unsurpassed. THE FOLLOWING LETTERS WERE SENT TO JOHN H. BARNES FROM HIS FATHER JAMES THOMAS BARNES. AS THEY ARE VERY OLD AND BECOMING ILLEGIBLE, I AM TYPING THEM AND ADDING THEM TO MY GRANDFATHER'S HISTORY. I HAVE NOT EDITED OR CORRECTED SPELLING. THE LETTERS ARE JUST AS GREAT GRANDFATHER, JAMES THOMAS BARNES, WROTE THEM. Marla C. England. 1 May 1993. December 22, 1893 Dear Son John H. Barnes i rite a few lines to you and your Wife and Children hoping to find you all will i am pleased to hear you have a son I hope he will live and do will i received the news in Logan i got home last sadurday i wanted to stay longer but my money run short and i could not do but veary little more there and i want for you to favour me it is this you are the Blood relation to Mothers father and wone of hir Grandfathers if you cant atend to the Baptisoms of them rite at wonce and let me know and give me a thoraty to be Bap tised for them as it ought to be atented to and i want it done right away get wone of the Brethering to rite it out on a Peace of paper as it will have to go to the Clark at logan temple I think you will undurstand me your letter gave me the right to officiate for your brother James that died in Rhymney he has his Endowments and a wife now. you ask about Jack Stokes his sister bob wife dont know any thing about him nor his father Mr James Stokes Holt near Trowbridge Wiltshire ingland I have plenty of flour 13 Cwt now I gave Robert 2 Cwt 2 weeks ago and we have a half a Beef and we shall not fine hard times this Winter i think it is time you was discouraged i have offired you land and water and i told you that tom would fetch you up if you ask him i have land hear idle large sage Brush growing on it waiting for you to clear it and raise your bread & c and i have Plenty of water to water it I will give you forty Akers two years free and forty inches of water after you will have to clear up my Accounts I dont think it will be much and when i am gon i gus it will be yours. I want you at the temple nesc fall if posable Please answear this right away and dont say any thing for excuse I wish you a Merry Xmas all of you would like if you was hear Bob have Built a house and living on my Place Jones is in Idaho falls we are going to keep Christmas with him So no more at Presant from your father and Mother James & Prudence Barnes Wheat hear is 70c a Cwt P S Bathia come up and go out for a ride in my Cart or buggy and have a jolly time J.T.Bs John Barnes If you can get the Geneoloay of Brother John loyd Abergivaney for his kindness go Proxcey and get his indowments J. T. Barnes Priesthood Ordinances of John Hillman Barnes Blessed June 19,1857 by James Tucker Babtised October 22, 1863 by Watkin Morgan Confirmed November 1, 1863 by his father James Thomas Barnes Ordained a deacon May 26, 1872 by his father James Thomas Barnes Ordained an elder february 9, 1873 by John Grimley James Thomas Barnes (Handwritten) (Confirmed by searching the film "Early Idaho Falls Church Records" under Ordinances: 227 007309. MCE September 2, 1897 To John H. Barnes Dear son You are the son of James and Prudence Barnes Born October 4, 1855 at Blaina Monmouthshire England was brought up in the church of jesus Christ of L.D.Saints i require you to go to the temple of the Lord and be adopted to your parents you will be able to do that if you are faithfull and get your older Brother James that is dead adopted to us if you fail Place it on your brothers You should be the first of the living to do so you can get some wane to be Pro scey for your father and mother i believe in the temple your daughter if there and if you remain faithful you will be with them in the new world injoying Eternal live James T. Barnes High Priest in the church of jesus Christ

Thomas Hillman Barnes

Colaborador: jalilo Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

THOMAS HILLMAN BARNES Thomas Hillman Barnes was born August 26, 1869 at Rhymney, Monmouthshire, England. He was the seventh child and the fourth son of James Thomas Barnes and Prudence Hillman. Rhymney, Monmouthshire, England is on the Rhymney River 2 114 miles west of the town of Tredegar. It is a parish town with a railroad station, the Great Western Railroad. Its main source of business was coal mining, engineering, and brewing. The Rhymney River runs between South Wales and England. The town of Rhymney England is on one side of the river and the town of Rhymney, (Welsh spelling) is on the other side of the river in Wales. Wales is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Wales has been united with England for more than 400 years, and English is the official language of Wales. On some genealogy sheets, you will see the country listed as Wales and other times England. Most of the towns or parishes were only within a few miles radius of each other. A person might be born in one parish, married in another and yet live in another parish. People would record their papers in the parish or town where the event occurred, sometimes only a mile or so apart. So, some of the records will be recorded in Wales and some in England. So, it is hard to locate important information without searching the whole general area, either in Wales or England. It would be interesting to know why they decided to leave England. Also, how they became introduced to the Church. We do know, however, that they left England in 1881. Thomas 11, Robert his older brother 23, and his mother Prudence 50, sailed from Liverpool on the ship Wyoming, on May 21, 1881 with 297 other saints. They arrived in New York 1 June 1881 after sailing for 11 days. James T, Barnes and his daughter Eliza Ann Barnes sailed from Liverpool on October 22, 1881, on the ship Wisconsin, with 396 saints, and arrived in New York 11 days later. Eliza A. Barnes who was 21 sailed from the Liverpool Conference and used the Perpetual Emigration Fund for her passage. James T. Barnes left from the Welsh Conference and he was listed as Church Oft #415, which indicates he held an office in the church and the church paid for his passage. Prudence, Robert, and Thomas left from the Welsh Conference and paid cash for their passage. James Thomas Barnes became a citizen of the United States on 25 May 1890, and his son Thomas H. Barnes became a citizen of the United States on 25 Sept 1890. On 1 March 1892, James T. Barnes secured a Homestead of 159 43/100 acres from the United States of America signed by President Benjamin Harrison. Thomas Hillman Barnes farmed the same farm until his death 11 Feb 1940. It is still owned by a member of the Barnes family, a great grand- daughter of Thomas Hillman Barnes, Colleen Jensen. Thomas Hillman Barnes was Bonneville County Commissioner for the 3rd District from the years 1922-1932. He was a republican. MY PARENTS - THOMAS & MARY ELLEN BARNES Written by daughter Olive The Francis Cleverlys came from England after being converted into the L.D.S. Church. With them they brought a young daughter, Mary Ellen. Later in 1890, this family moved to a small community named Shelton; near Idaho Falls where they homesteaded. During this same time, a young man Thomas M. Barnes left England at age 13 and came to the United States with his parents, after being converted to the L.D.S. Church. In 1885, they moved to Shelton and homesteaded. Mary Ellen and Thomas met at a church function and courted for several months. When they decided to marry they traveled to Logan Temple where they had to go a day early because Mary Ellen was re-baptized due to lost records. They began their married life by homesteading and built their own log cabin. In this log cabin, most of their twelve children were born. Mother was assisted in deliveries by mid-wife Tillie Newman, no doctor; hospital; or medication. Growing up on a farm with many brothers and sisters bring such joy and love. As a child, I played in the big straw stacks and swam in the canals. I also helped fill the straw ticks for the beds and loved to feel the carpets with new straw underneath. Every fall the grain had to be harvested and this meant the thrashers. My older sisters and I helped our mother bake for days. Then when the work began I had to get big pans of water, towels, and soap under the trees for the men to wash with before eating. Even this brought some fun, for when the big engine moved into the yard the engineer would blow his whistle and sometimes gave the children rides. Also, while I was eight my family built a big brick house. This seemed like a mansion after being crowded in a three-room log cabin. That was also the year my oldest brother Thomas was in the first World War, and I watched my mother walk the floor night after night. Many years later my youngest brother Albert, was also in the service. At this time there was a terrible epidemic which killed many. Because of lack of wonder drugs people were doctored with home remedies like turpentine, lard, castor oil, and beef iron and wine tonic. Aspirin was not even common. I attended many important functions with my family and gained many qualities. My father was a hard working, quick but fair-tempered man who always carried through with his discipline. He loved the Bible and was a great scholar of this book. He worked in community affairs, being Farmers- Friend secretary and county assessor; also, the county commissioner for 10 years. My mother had little formal education but she loved nature and taught her children to appreciate it. She was dependable, thrifty, honest, had a great sense of humor and was grateful for her heritage. She let her husband handle discipline but did issue an occasional slap for quarreling. I loved my family and the good times we enjoyed. My father would play the violin and the family would sing. At Christmas, we would each light a candle and march through the house caroling. Birthdays were also special and my parents never missed one. After I was married they even traveled by bobsled to visit me on my birthday. BRIEF HISTORY OF THOMAS HILLMAN BARNES Born in England August 26, 1869, emigrated to America and settled in Salt Lake City at the age of twelve years. Five years later, in March 1896, he moved to Idaho Falls, then known as Eagle Rock. He has been engaged in the farming and stock raising industries in this vicinity ever since. Mr. Barnes has been active in public work, being particularly interested in irrigation ever since January 1918. He served in Bonneville County as deputy assessor from 1913 until 1922 at which time he was elected to the board of County Commissioners. He has been a member of this continuously up to January 8, 1933, which was ten years. During that time, he served four years on the Board of River Control. Brother Barnes has served as Sunday School Superintendent, President of the Mutual Improvement, Teacher in Sunday School for many years, Sunday School chorister and ward chorister. He was ordained to the office of Deacon in 1883, ordained as Elder in 1894, and was secretary of the Second Elders Quorum for many years. He served as ward teacher for many years. He was married to Mary Ellen Cleverly in the Logan Temple on December 12, 1894 and is the father of twelve children, eight girls and four boys. (The following is the clipping out of the paper at the time of Thomas Hillman Barnes' death dated February 14, 1940 -- I received it from Olive Schwieder on February 15, 1982 -- the article was so hard to read, I typed it over-- Joan Field.) "Funeral services were held Wednesday in the Shelton L.D.S. ward church for Thomas H. Barnes, above (there was a picture--but too dim to see), former Bonneville County Commissioner. He died Sunday. RITES HONOR T.H. BARNES Funeral for former County Commissioner held in Shelton Ward. Shelton, February 14, 1940 -- Thomas H. Barnes, 70, former Bonneville County Commissioner, Wednesday was laid to rest in beautiful Shelton cemetery overlooking the Upper Snake River Valley where he worked untiringly through the years for civic improvements. Hundreds braved a snow storm to attend funeral services in the Shelton L.D.S. ward church, which Mr. Barnes helped build as a member of the ward finance committee. "We will miss Mr. Barnes as a member of our ward and a citizen," said W. F. Burtenshaw, Shelton ward bishop. USEFUL CAREER '''Ris long and useful career was dedicated not only to the advancement of this ward but to the upper valley as a whole." Mr. Barnes, who served as county commissioner in District 3 from 1922 to 1933, died Sunday in an Idaho Falls hospital. He failed to rally after an operation and had been ill only two months. His work as a commissioner and in the Shelton Ward was recalled by four other speakers at the funeral service: Ralph Albaugh, Idaho Falls city attorney; David Smith, President of the North Idaho Falls L.D.S. Stake; Oscar Nelson, member of the Idaho Falls Fourth Ward church, and Josiah Call, former President of the Rigby Stake. ON HIGHWAY PROJECT Mr. Barnes was instrumental in the paving of the present highway through Ririe and Swan Valley and paving of the Yellowstone highway stretch from Beach's comer to the county line north of Ucon, speakers pointed out. He was prominently associated with the Shelton Ward for many years and was a former president of the ward M.I.A. Bishop Burtenshaw recalled Mr. Barnes helped dig the basement for our present church building after directing the campaign to finance the building project. Funeral services opened with the pioneer song of the L.D.S. church-- Come, Come Ye Saints -- by the chorus of the Shelton Ward, accompanied by Mayme Cleverly. OPENING PRAYER William J. Sperry, member of the Shelton Ward and high counselor of the North Idaho Falls Stake, gave the opening prayer. Glen Johnson and Florence Moore sang "Whispering Hope"; Earl Brown, member of the Milo Ward, sang "Just for Today", accompanied by Ardith Burtenshaw; Ray Crystal, Garfield ward, sang "End of the Trail" accompanied by Wilma Chase, and Ray Andrus, Ucon ward, sang "Lay My Head Beneath a Rose." The Shelton ward chorus sang "Rock of Ages" and Clarence Cleverly gave the closing prayer. Pallbearers were: Thomas F. Barnes, George Barnes, Ralph Barnes, Albert Barnes, Carvel Schwieder and William Croft. Flower bearers were: Hannah Cleverly, Annie Ritter, Josephine Newman, Hannah Nelson, Mabel Sperry, Mrs. Dale Burtenshaw, Mrs. Zelpha Howard, Mariah Williams, Mrs. Hugh Morten, May Cleverly, Olive Burtenshaw, Katie Clapp, Matilda Johnson, Ethel Egan, Zetta Wheeler and Nancy Jordon. Mrs. Rose Jenson and Mary E. Brown were in charge of flowers." Thomas Hillman Barnes, son of James Thomas and Prudence Hillman Barnes. Born in England, August 26, 1869. Emigrated to America in 1881. Moved to Idaho Falls in the spring of 1885, then known as Eagle Rock, and has been engaged in farming and stock raising industries in the vicinity ever since. He has been active in public work, being particularly interested in irrigation enterprises. He has been secretary of the Farmers Friend Irrigation Company since January 1918 to 1922, at which time he was elected to the board of County Commissioners, of which he was chairman. He was a member of the board continuously up to January 8, 1933. During that time, he served four years on the Board of River Control. He served as Sunday School Superintendent, President of the Mutual Improvement, teacher in Sunday School for many years, Sunday School chorister and Ward Chorister. He was ordained to the office of a Deacon in 1883, ordained an Elder in 1894. Was secretary of the Second Elders Quorum for many years, served as Ward teacher for many years and was ordained a Seventy 1909 and High Priest in 1928. He was married in the Logan Temple December 12, 1894 to Mary, Ellen Cleverly. Father of twelve children, eight girls and four boys. Thomas F. Barnes ------- Shelton Mrs. Claude Mann ------ Shelton George Barnes ----------- Shelton Mrs. Earl Brown -------- Milo Mrs. Elmer Goldman --- St. Leon Mrs. Golden Dearden -- St. Leon Mrs. Carvel Schwieder --- Iona Ralph Barnes ----------- Shelton Mrs. Wm. E. Croft -------- Iona Mrs. Melvin Robinson -- Ucon Mrs. Ray Anderson ------ Clark Albert Barnes ----------- Shelton A brother -- Robert Barnes of Corvallis, Oregon A niece ---Mrs. Frank Husband of Ogden, Utah. The funeral will be held at the Shelton Church Wednesday, January 14, at 1 p.m. Bishop Francis Burtenshaw in charge.

Life timeline of Thomas H. Barnes

Thomas H. Barnes was born in 1869
Thomas H. Barnes was 5 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
See More
Thomas H. Barnes was 20 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
See More
Thomas H. Barnes was 26 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
See More
Thomas H. Barnes was 39 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
See More
Thomas H. Barnes was 48 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
See More
Thomas H. Barnes was 51 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
See More
Thomas H. Barnes was 70 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Thomas H. Barnes died in 1940 at the age of 71
Grave record for Thomas H. Barnes (1869 - 1940), BillionGraves Record 3920713 Ririe, Bonneville, Idaho, United States