LIFE SKETCH OF THOMAS HILLYARD, born 1831
Colaborador: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
LIFE SKETCH OF THOMAS HILLYARD, born 1831
By Ferris E. Hillyard, Eunice H. Davis, and Evelyn H. Hansen
Written November 1999
Thomas Hillyard was born 3 December 1831 in Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England the son of Thomas Hillyard Sr. and Elizabeth Wool Hillyard.
When Thomas was eight years old, his father, who managed a farm near the town, died leaving his mother a widow at age 30, with two children to raise. She remained a widow for 13 years until she married Murfitt Meeks. At age 14, Thomas was bonded to a Master Carpenter's Guild. His training lasted seven years when in 1852 he was awarded a Master Carpenter's Certificate. He was now thoroughly trained as a carpenter and millwright, skills, which proved to be of great value during the remainder of his life.
In 1848 LDS Missionaries came to Doddington. The following year, Thomas' mother joined the church followed by the baptism of Thomas on 17 March 1849 by Elder John Wayman. A year later Thomas' sister, Elizabeth, also joined the church.
On 28 January 1852 at age 20, Thomas married his cousin, Mary Ann Heaps. That same year Thomas, who had been ordained a Teacher following his baptism, now was ordained an Elder and called as President of the Doddington branch of the church. He served in that position for two years until in 1854 he, his wife and small child, Thomas Alma, left England for America to gather with the Saints in Zion. His mother, with her husband Murfitt Meeks and her daughter, Elizabeth, had emigrated a year earlier.
Thomas and his family traveled to America by way of Liverpool. When they arrived at Liverpool, they were disappointed to learn that their ship had been chartered to the Russian War, so they were obliged to take lodging at Liverpool and wait three weeks for another ship. While at Liverpool, the government allowed them one shilling per day for lodging.
On 8 April, they set sail for America on the Marshfield, and after a long, tedious and yet pleasant voyage, they landed at New Orleans on 29 May 1854, having taken a little over seven weeks to make the ocean crossing.
From New Orleans, they set sail up the Mississippi and Missouri rivers to a place where they made camp and spent a few weeks resting and preparing for their journey across the plains. While at this camping place, there was a terrible outbreak of cholera, which the Hillyard family was able to escape.
After they had prepared for their journey across the plains, they traveled west with the William Taylor Company. They had a long, tiresome journey, and arrived in Salt Lake City on 11 October 1854, having taken seven months to make the journey from their home in England.
Daughter Mary Elizabeth was born in Salt Lake City in 1855. In 1857, during the threat of an invasion of Utah by Johnson's Army, Thomas was called on to stand guard in the canyons for a period of 13 weeks. In May of 1858 following Brigham Young's instructions to the Saints, they moved to Provo to be more safe from the U.S. Army. Thomas was hired by President John Taylor to outfit his wagons and teams for the trip south to Provo and later Thomas worked for President Taylor in Provo improving his grist mill. Their daughter Eliza Ann was born in 1858 while they were living in Provo. The family delayed their return to Salt Lake City until April of 1859 while Thomas completed work for President Taylor.
In 1860 the family moved from Salt Lake City to Richmond, Utah-I where they resided for five years. While living in Richmond two sons were born, William and John. Two events in Richmond led them to accept the invitation of friends to move to Smithfield. First, the sawmill Thomas built was destroyed by fire and second, when the survey of the town was made they found their house was in the middle of the street. Soon after they moved to Smithfield, Thomas' stepfather, Murfitt Meeks, died which left Thomas' mother a widow for the second time at age 55. From then on until her death in 1891 (age 81) she lived with Thomas and Mary Ann.
In Smithfield, Thomas first built a log house on the corner of 1st North and 2nd East Streets. This was later replaced with a large, beautiful home which faced south and was set far back from the street. It was surrounded by a high picket fence made of lumber from the Hillyard sawmill. The property consisted of three one-acre city lots so there was ample space for a garden of fruits and vegetables. The house still stands although it now appears to face east because of the homes built around it. The northern most acre later became the site of the Wayman Hillyard home. The large brick home built by the Sparks family on about one acre to the west of the Hillyard home site later became the property of another grandson, Hazen Hillyard. Part of the original picket fence still fronts the Hazen Hillyard garden and the personnel gate now is at the entrance to the coral. The original log cabin built by Thomas was for years used as a farm building by Wayman.
Thomas built the first shingle mill in Smithfield in 1865 on the site near the creek south and east of his home. It operated until 1875. He also built a grist mill near the same site which was operated for many years with water power from a mill race which brought water along the brow of the hill starting from a point about a mile upstream. This provided excellent power for the mill for many years. The slow moving water in the mill race also provided an excellent site for baptisms and as a swimming hole for Smithfield youth. In 1868 Thomas sold the grist mill and the extensive wooded property to the east to James Mack. The mill then became known as Mack's Mill. The wooded area was later donated to the city and became Mack's Park.
In 1868 Thomas Hillyard, along with Harrison Thomas, Preston Morehead and Samuel Roskelley, operated a sawmill and lumber business on the Cub River in Idaho. They cut and sawed railroad ties for sale to the builders of the transcontinental railroad. The ties were floated down the Cub River into Bear River and then on down that river for delivery to the railroad company at Corinne, Utah. The site of the sawmill is still known as Hillyard Canyon. The sawmill in Idaho and a similar mill in Smithfield Canyon were operated by Thomas, his sons and other associates including Mr. Juchaw for many years. The Smithfield sawmill was located near the juncture of Smithfield and Birch Canyons and it was the first circular sawmill in Smithfield.
In June of 1866 the Bishop named 44 men to assist in the ******** of a telegraph line which was to extend from Logan to St. George. Thomas Hillyard was one of the men assigned to get poles for the project, he being a member of Smithfield "Fourth District."
Thomas was elected to the Smithfield City Council in 1870 and was re-elected to serve four more terms for a total of ten years. Obviously he was a well-respected citizen. He carried out city council assignments to locate a new City Cemetery and regulate burial fees and the pay of the sexton. He also was appointed to a committee to locate the train depot for the branch of the Union Pacific Railroad when it came to Smithfield.
In May of 1874 the United Order was formally introduced in Smithfield. Thomas Hillyard was elected as one of six directors at the organizational meeting, however the United Order was disbanded the following year based on instructions from Brigham Young.
In 1897 Thomas assisted his son, Johnny in the construction of the Hillyard Hall, a large building at 141 North Main Street. This rather large building for its day, 40 x 80 feet, became a popular site for dances and other entertainment for many years. Thomas is given credit for furnishing the lumber and design expertise and for two innovations in the building, a stage platform on the west end that could be folded up against the wall and an elevated dance stand suspended from the ceiling which placed the orchestra above the dance floor. These two innovations made more room on the dance floor for the dancers. The building which still exists has been renovated and equipped as a modern movie theater and is known as the Main Theater.
He helped another son, William, in getting out lumber for a three-room house and later for a large new barn at 3rd North and 3rd East. He and his sons were also active in building barns for other farmers in Smithfield and surrounding towns. Thomas is also credited with doing the finish carpentry work on the new Smithfield Tabernacle. His work, on the tabernacle was a source of great pride to Thomas.
While living in Smithfield, four more sons were born. Nephi, born in 1865, died at age one; Hyrum born in 1867; Joseph born 1872, died at age two; and George Albert born 1874, died at age five weeks. Of these four boys, only one, Hyrum, lived to adulthood. Hyrum spent much time at a very early age working with his father in the lumber business.
The History of Smithfield under date of 6 January 187') refers to five different "wards" under one Bishop. (Actually Smithfield was not divided into two wards until 11 November 1906.) The Thomas Hillyard home was designated by Bishop Roskelley as a meeting place in the "third ward in consideration of winter and for the good of the saints." The meetings were to be held every Thursday evening.
While still living in Salt Lake City, Thomas was ordained a Seventy in the Second Quorum of Seventy. He later served as a Seventies Quorum President. On 17 January 1904, he was ordained a High Priest by President Samuel Roskelley.
On 11 December 1879 Thomas married a second wife, Rebecca Roskelley in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. She was the daughter of Mayor and Bishop Samuel Roskelley. Thomas built a separate home on the northeast corner of 2" North and 2" East for his second family. Eventually he relocated this family to Hyde Park to avoid detection by Federal Marshalls who were apprehending polygamists. To this marriage were born three children, Samuel, who was mentally handicapped, a son James Dorris who died at age seven months, and a daughter Rebecca Pearl born 4 July 1890. One month following the daughter's birth, Rebecca, the mother, died in Hyde Park, Utah at age 31 from complications following childbirth. Her funeral was held in the Smithfield Tabernacle and she was buried in the Smithfield Cemetery beside her infant son James Dorris. The nine year old boy Samuel was then raised by Thomas and Mary Ann Hillyard until Mary Ann died in May 1913 at age 80. Samuel apparently then lived with Roskelley relatives for a time until he was taken to Provo by his Uncle James Roskelley and committed to the Utah State Mental Hospital. He died 6 August 1940 at age 59. He is buried beside his mother and his little brother.
Following the death of her mother, the baby girl, Rebecca Pearl, was taken and raised by the Roskelley family. She grew to womanhood, married Thomas Howard Willmore and has a large posterity.
Thomas died 28 January 1907 at the age of 75 in Smithfield. Following impressive funeral services in the Smithfield Tabernacle he was buried in the Smithfield Cemetery.
From Mary Ann Heaps History
Thomas Hillyard was a son of Thomas Hillyard and Elizabeth Wool Hillyard. He was born at Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England on 3rd December 1831. At age 14, he was bonded to a master carpenters guild and after seven years of service was awarded a masters certificate in 1852 at the age of 21.
Mary Ann Heaps Hillyard was the daughter of Mary and Thomas Heaps of Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England. She was born there 15 November 1832. She grew up belonging to the Church of England. Her father was employed as a clerk with that church and in this position received a good salary, so Mary Ann’s home was nice and comfortable.
She received what was considered a fairly good education, and at the age of seventeen, she taught a small class in her own home. This was for one term during the winter months.
Mary Ann joined the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as a single young woman. Two years later at the age of twenty she married Thomas Hillyard who was also a member of the church.
Thomas and Mary Ann were married in 1852. They and their son Alma (age 16 months) left their home in Doddington for Utah, 18 March 1854. When they arrived at Liverpool, they were disappointed to learn that their ship had been chartered to the Russian war, so they were obliged to take lodging at Liverpool. The government allowed them one shilling per day. Thomas’s mother Elizabeth and stepfather had left for Utah the prior year.
On 8 April they set sail for America on the Marshfield (Maisfield). After a long, tedious and yet pleasant voyage, they landed at new Orleans on May 29, 1854 having taken a little over seven weeks to cross the ocean.
From New Orleans, they set sail up the Mississippi and then the Missouri rivers to Council Bluffs where they made camp and spent a few weeks resting and preparing for their journey across the plains. While at this place, the cholera was very bad. Mary Ann recorded, " I would see a man go by one day with a shovel on his back to dig a grave for someone who had died, and the next day he would have to have a grave dug for himself.”
Mary Ann, her husband and child came over the plains with ox teams with the William Taylor Company, 11 Oct 1854. David H. Cannon, who later became president of the St. George Temple, was sent out by friends to meet them and bring them into the valley. It was a little after dark, when they rode into Salt Lake City and Mary Ann said that seeing the little log houses lit with their candles and to know they had reached Zion, was the most comforting and pleasing time of her life.
Mary Ann lived in Salt Lake City for four years enjoying a new baby girl, but also having the fear of the threat of Johnson’s Army ever there and being alone while her husband went to meet Johnson’s Army and then stand guard for six weeks.
The family moved south to Provo when the saints were told to go south for their protection. Here another daughter was born. Although the body of the saints stayed there only from May till a treaty was signed in July, Mary Ann and her family stayed till the following spring because her husband was improving a gristmill for president Taylor.
Mary Ann remained in the city until 1860, when the family moved to Richmond, Cache, Utah. She was soon in her new little house and two more sons were born.
Mary Ann moved again, this time to Smithfield, Cache, Utah in 1865. Her husband’s new saw mill burned down after the initial "run" as a result of the loggers camp fire, and finding the new surveys put their new little house in the street they decided to make the move.
In Smithfield, it is recorded she made superior contributions to the welfare of the people. She used her intellect and skills, as a mid wife and in caring for the sick. Her sons would hitch up the carriage in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night, for her to go give aid. After living in Smithfield for forty-four years she said, "it seems my mission was to work with the sick and to relieve the suffering. I have enjoyed my labors, good health and the spirit of the gospel ever since I joined the church.”
They moved to Smithfield in 1865 and built a home on the corner of First North and Second East. Thomas then built a shingle mill in partnership with A.P. Raymond and Thomas Tarbet. They shortly sold the business to James Mack. Thomas then purchased a few acres up Smithfield Canyon for a lumber mill. He got the water rights for power, built a canal for the mill race, damned the creek and built the mill. The saw mill was in service into the 1890’s, and provided the first means of building frame homes instead of the log and thatched roof homes that had been the standard.
In 1868, Smithfield’s civil government was organized with a city charter with a mayor and 5 city councilmen. Although Thomas had only arrived in 1865, he was elected as a city councilman every two years from 1870 to 1880.
Thomas and Mary Ann were the parents of nine children, six living to adulthood. Mary Ann had thirty-four grand children and fourteen great grandchildren four years before her death.
Her husband was asked to take another wife, Rebecca Roskelley, the daughter of Mayor and Bishop Samuel Roskelley, to whom he was sealed in the endowment house 11 Dec 1879.
Mary Ann died 14 May 1913 at the age of 81.
“LIFE SKETCH OF THOMAS HILLYARD, born 1831”, By Ferris E. Hillyard, Eunice H. Davis, and Evelyn H. Hansen, written November 1999
Material from Hillyard Family submittals on Pioneer Women, by Evelyn Hillyard Hansen and Eunice Hillyard Davis, 1998
J.W. Kirkbride, Life History of Thomas Hillyard (Family History Materials), 1957
Trail Excerpt: Ship Passenger Manifest List: Thomas Hillyard
Colaborador: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
There were 685 people involved in this Pioneer Company. "Emigration," Deseret News [Weekly], 13 July 1854, p. 2.
From the East to the Pacific, and the Land Sharks of Utah.
Thus far, this season, very few emigrants have passed thro' G. S. L. City, en route for the west. This course has been a benefit, blessing, and real gratification to every valuable and correct thinking inhabitant of Utah; and an advantage to the passing travelers.
So far as I have noticed, and heard, with but few exceptions, the emigration of this season have conducted with unusual propriety, judgment and harmony; so much so, that a casual observer would hardly take them for strangers, unless he chanced to notice their travel-soiled apparel. It is not certain whether this good conduct has arisen from a higher toned morality than that possessed by former companies; but may be accounted for by the circumstance, that in all or nearly all the trains there were one or more in company who had previously passed over the route. This is an excellent policy, and should be pursued whenever practicable; as it affords a great advantage in traveling, and camping, with regard to the proper, or necessary distance for the day, and the quantity and quality of grass for the night; more especially when grazing has to be sought some distance from the road.
As it takes a long, and indefinite time, with our present and past mail facilities, for information to go from here, and become generally disseminated in the States, it may not be amiss to extend to future emigration the benefit of my judgment, experience, and reflection on a few main points; an attention to which will materially aid their movements, increase their comfort, and advance their interests.
On leaving the frontiers, provide yourselves with good wagons, in sufficient number to make each load reasonably light, both for the wagon and team; and with at least enough animals to fill up the gaps which may be made by disease, fatigue, and loss. Then load in such groceries, medicines, plain clothing, flour, &c., as you presume will last you to your place of destination. The quantity of each you can readily learn at the different outfitting points, should there be no one in your company who has been through. When your outfit is loaded, if you still have extra room and team, it will pay you well to lay in groceries, and light staple articles, to sell on the way to those who may need, also to the inhabitants of Utah, should you pass thro' any of her settlements, and enable you to keep the club in your hands when you meet the land sharks.
The early emigration will be still more independent if each company will fit up two boats about sixteen feet long; and so arranged as to be placed upon wheels, and used as wagon beds when not needed for crossing streams; for Utah has no law against persons ferrying themselves, and their effects.
The policy of this course, and the disinterestedness of this advice, will be obvious to all, who are familiar with the greatly advanced price of wagons and stock in California, even above present high rates on the frontier, and have noticed that immense herds are annually driven to that market with great profit, when the stock and sales are managed with prudence. And besides this market is very fluctuating, and uncertain,-flour varying from 4$ to 50$ per hundred and fat animals being held at enormous rates, when it is supposed they are in necessitous demand.
After you are fairly started upon the ocean plains, with a toilsome journey of some 2000 miles before you, it will be highly necessary to bear in mind that patience is one of the virtues you will have the most use for, be the oftenest tried in, and the most difficult to retain. Hence, you must use the strongest efforts to keep cool. If you can accomplish this effectually, you are as well prepared as your judgment will permit, to fulfil the next most important requirement, viz! the proper use and care of your animals, upon whose good condition so much of your welfare depends. To effect this, it will be well for you to keep in mind, that upon the plains, and in the mountains, and deserts, the old adage, "the more haste the less speed," is likely to prove almost invariably true.-Therefore you will need be careful that neither weariness, shiftlessness, over anxiety, indolence, nor any other controlable cause induce you to driving your animals above a reasonable speed and endurance, nor prevent your furnishing them access to the best grass and water the circumstances will admit of, and allowing them sufficient time to graze, and rest. And when you are about to cross such places as those between the North Fork of the Platte and the Sweet Water, and the Sink of Mary's river, start on them with your teams in as good plight as possible, take all advantages, and when over, rest a short time on the first good grass.
What further benefit will arise from a strict compliance with these friendly and timely suggestions? You will be able to travel comfortably and independently get thro' in good season, and above all, avoid being shaved by the land sharks who swarm on the route, ready to take the utmost advantage of any necessity arising from your crippled condition, or wants.
Presuming the foregoing to be so plain that all concerned can understand it, and so manifestly prudent and correct that no one will neglect it for fear of partiality, or an interested undercurrent of concealed motive, it will now be necessary to put you on your guard against the Land Sharks, that you may be armed at all points against avoidable loss, and disappointment, and be better able to realize, and profit by the ideas already advanced.
Among the various classes of society, the following subdivisions will sometimes be heard, viz: "the Lord's poor," "the devil's poor," and "poor devils." The two latter classes exist to a certain extent in all communities, and of course it is not reasonable to expect that Utah is able to claim entire exemption; hence, fortunately, or unfortunately, she is reasonably well supplied with that class called "poor devils," in spite of all her efforts to rid her borders of such an annoyance. Inasmuch as "poor devils" are not necessarily, and invariably actually poor in this world's goods, but often quite wealthy; to prevent being misunderstood, and to carry out our present design plainly, we shall call them "Land Sharks," and confine ourselves to the land sharks of Utah; both those professing to be "Mormons," and those who make no profession but to serve themselves.
While the emigration is passing, these characters line the road from the Sweet Water to the summit of the Nevada; and like the wreckers on the sea-board, lie in wait to prey upon the misfortunes, carelessness, and ignorance of the traveler-having no eye to pity, and, unless at the utmost rates of extortion, no disposition to save.-Like their namesake of the deep, and like the turkey buzzards and prairie wolves upon land, they note their victims afar off, and hang upon their course with a perseverance worthy of a better cause. The main outfit stock in trade is raw whiskey, and vile beer, varied occasionally by a little money, one or more animals, and now and then a few pounds of butter. Thus equipped they bivouac along the line of travel, constantly on the alert to ply their vocation by driving hard bargains for such animals as have become a little jaded, foot sore, or otherwise temporarily unserviceable.
Successful in the first move, they are on the high road of gain, which they endeavor to aggregate like the rolling snow ball, by recruiting in a few days, many of the animals first secured, and exchanging them for others as good, or better, except for immediate use, at the rate of one for three, four, or half a dozen; or one for two or more was the fair price still further multiplied by cash, groceries, or clothing as boot. When slightly unsuccessful in their cut throat trade, or when their inordinate thirst for gain with little labor is not fully gratified, many turn to stock drivers and herdsmen with this peculiarity, that the animals they take such good care of are not their own.
As the emigration reaches the settlements they fall into the hands of the hay, grass, butter, cheese, and flour sharks, each of whom has accured, and hoarded larger or smaller quantities with which to bite and devour and in most cases with the extra characteristic of having withheld their stock in trade from its necessary and proper channels-thus retarding our public works, weakening the hands of the righteous, and sorely oppressing the honest poor.
One branch of this class practice what they deem a slyer dodge, and one requiring less travel, and labor. These buy articles of the emigration at very fair rates, and then extort on the necessities of their brethren. And still another branch, when they have nothing to buy or sell, advise others, who are selling high enough for the hardest conscience, to sell still higher, like a young man in the 17th ward who undertook land sharking, but had no skill and energy sufficient to make a fortune from the misfortunes of the emigrants in one season.
From information brought in by the last California mail, the emigration, on leaving Bear river, must prepare to run a still harder gauntlet, for it is reported that a numerous and well organized band of white highwaymen, painted and disguised as Indians, infest several points on the road, and drive off stock by wholesale; and recent murders are rumored from that quarter. It is presumed that the Arkansas murderer, and a large number of associated outlaws, and fugitives, compose this robber band; men who have heretofore been in the habit of killing Indians, and probably some whites, for the sake of their stock, and a little booty.
The purpose of this article does not permit a minute detail of all the distinguishing characteristics of the class and its branches, or in other words, of all the marks and brands of the animal; but the observation of those interested will readily supply the deficiency.
These miserable wretches are a blight, a steady drawback, and a standing curse in any community; and as yet the precept and example of the virtuous and honorable, and the mild administration of the laws, in the few cases where testimony backed up indictments, are all the influences that have been brought to bear to rid ourselves of this horrible incubus, which taints all well earned fame, and even threatens the lives of all the upright where it harbors.
In all communities there are crisises when forbearance ceases to be a virtue; and the time is now fast approaching when words and grass will be laid aside, and sterner methods adopted to clear the moral atmosphere of Utah. And while she is truly grateful to the emigration of this season for giving the land sharks so small an opportunity to ply their vocation, she is anxious that future emigration will so profit in their outfit, and mode of travel, as to be abundantly able to pass all land-sharks with impunity, and silent contempt.
To still further enable them to co-operate in the accomplishment of this worthy object, they are recommended to take the Sublette Cut Off, between the Dry and Little Sandys, whenever practicable; and if they pass that, to take McKinney's cut off, or the Fort Hall route; and if they pass that point for turning off, and come on to the Weber river, it will be best to deflect northerly, at the head of the kanyon, to the north of Ogden city.
Should the future emigration conduct as widely, honorably, and uprightly as the present, and the worthy portion of the inhabitants of Utah be vigilant, and united, it is self evident that our borders will soon be too strait for the mischief and murder working and sharks, scoundrels, and thieves, who do not take the hint, and leave, or reform in season; for their occupation will be gone-and judgment must be laid to the line and righteousness to the plummet.
Thomas Hillyard--By J.W. Kirkbride, July 1957
Colaborador: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
Thomas Hillyard was a son of Thomas Hillyard, Sr. and Elizabeth Wool Hillyard. He was born at Doddington, Combridgeshire, England on December 3, 1831.
The senior Thomas Hillyard, shortly after his marriage in 1831, took a job as manager of a large farm at the suburbs of Doddington. Four children were born to them while serving the formanship on the farm. There were two boys and two girls; one of the boys and one of the girls died in early childhood. The other two, Thomas Hillyard and Elizabeth, his sister, lived to come to Utah and make their homes in Smithfield.
Mr. Hillyard, Sr. died of pneumonia while the family was at the farm. After the death, Elizabeth, his widow, opened a store near Doddington, enjoying a good business for a time. The two children attended school and helped the mother at the store. However, in 1845, at Thomas' 14th birthday, he was bonded to a master carpenters guild and after seven years service was awarded a masters certificate in 1852, at age 21.
In 1847, his mother had been baptized and confirmed a member of the Latter Day Saints church. In early 1853, she had married Murfitt Meeks and in January 1853 Mr. and Mrs. Meeks and Elizabeth Hillyard left England to come to Utah.
In 1852, Thomas Hillyard married Mary Ann Heaps, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Heaps, of Doddington, England. She was a convert to the Latter-day Saints Church. Mr. and Mrs. Hillyard left Doddington for LIverpool in transit to Utah. Their ship, the Marsfield, left Liverpool April 8, 1854, arriving at New Orleans May 29, 1854; thence by boat up the Mississippi-Missouri to Council Bluff, Iowa; from there they joined with the William Taylor company, an ox team pageant and headed toward Utah, arriving at Salt Lake City in late October. They had been seven months from Doddington to Utah.
I quote a few lines from Mrs. Hillyard's story fo the trip and their arrival at Salt Lake City. "It was a little after dark when we drove into Salt Lake City. Seeing the log houses lit with their candles and to know we had reached Zion, was the most comforting and pleasing time of my life."
They made their home in Salt Lake for four years where Mr. Hillyard made excellent use of mechanical genius. While here, he was called to go with other men to meet the Johnson Army, remaining on guard for six weeks, after which they joined the "move" south.
Mr. and Mrs. Hillyard lived at Provo until April of the next year because of Mr. Hillyard's employment with President Taylor as a mill builder.
In 1860 they moved to Richmond where he and a Mr. Goslind built a sawmill and on the initial "run" the mill burned to an entire loss. They had built themselves a nice little house at Richmond; on a re-survey of the town, their house was left in the street area. They remained at Richmond until 1865 doing carpenter work. A number of Mr. Hillyard's friends at Smithfield persuaded him to make his home there. At Smithfield they made many superior contributions to the material and spiritual development of the area.
Another quote from Mrs. Hillyard's writings: "I have enjoyed my labors, good health, and the spirit of the gospel ever since I joined the church. I have worked as a teacher and counselor in Relief Society."
In 1865 Mr. Murfitt Meeks died and Mrs. Meeks' son, Thomas, and his wife, Mary Ann, made immediate, careful and pleasant preparations to provide a comfortable happy home for his mother who lived with them from 1865 until her death on June 1, 1891 at the age of 81. She had her "Sunshine Home" among her loved and loving ones. Such attributes set the stage for her spiritualizing influence at Summit.
An imaginary quotation attributed to Mr. Hillyard by the writer follows: "If Smithfield is to be my permanent home town, it must be my pleasure and duty to mend my efforts towards making it a highly superior community in which to live and raise my family."
As one takes retrospect of Mr. Hillyard's life pattern and assays the standard of citizenship exemplified in his behaviorism throughout his life, one must heartily admit that his alleged motto is truly realistic and apropos of serious appraisement of his life.
In an earlier paragraph we say that Mr. Hillyard and his devoted wife made golden contributions to the development of Smithfield in the following areas: Religion, Economical, Civic, Ethical, and Social.
Mr. Hillyard's religions pattern is indicatie of his wholehearted espousal of the doctrines he had accepted as truths not lip service, but positive active procedures: money to provide for the local and general church budgets, tithing, building funds, church educational programs, building maintenance funds, offerings and gratuities for needy persons and worthy projects. Aside from the many contributions listed above as cash or kind, Mr. Hillyard, as an expert mechanic, gave thousands of hours across his span of life in building churches, making plans, supervising construction, testing materials for buildings and furnishing material.
All that on the material side of his religious contributions. On the spiritual side, Mr. Hillyard recognized, understood, preached and lived the fact that the great differential of our church is the Priesthood; that the Priesthood is a revealed institution and that it should be honored, respected and magnified. He knew that sufficiently to activate every element of its demands and to honor the call of his presiding church authority.
President Brigham Young once posed a question: What is the duty of a Latter-day Saint? Then answered the question himself: "To do all the good he can upon the earth....to build up, not destroy; to gather together, not to scatter abroad; to take the ignorant and lead them to wisdom; to pick up the poor and bring them to comfortable circumstance." Brother Hillyard qualified in this challenge to duty!
His Industrial Pattern: A builder and a mill man. He had built a small home at Richmond and a sawmill east of Richmond before coming to Smithfield in 1865. The mill burned on its initial run. The next year Mr. Hillyard built himself a small home on the corner of First North Street and Second East Street in Smithfield. This spot has been known in Smithfield as the "Hillyard Corner". His next enterprise was the building of a shingle mill in partnership with A.P. Raymond and Thomas Tarbet. In 1865 this company added a gust mill to their business and they operated it successfully until 1868 when they sold it to James Mack.
Mr. Hillyard's vision and his ambition, seeing the great need of lumber at the growing town of Smithfield, prompted him to procure a millsite and to secure water rights in the creek for power service. He purchased a few acres of land a half mile farther up the canyon from the old mill site, built a canal for a water conveyor (mill race), put a dam in the creek, recorded his primary right to use the water, got his saw mill machinery, built his mill and began processing logs into useable lumber. This enterprising man's vision and faith in his new home and its people became a great impetus for the residents to build superior homes, resulting in better roads to the timber areas of the canyons.
Mr. Hillyard's lumber business, Lars Mouritsen's brick business, Virgil Merrill's adobe business and superior agriculture methods stimulated a transfer from the characteristic log houses with thatched roofs and dirt floors to more portentous Church houses, school houses, and residence houses.
Mr. Hillyard's saw mill was in service into the period of the nineties. We are justified in calling the coming of Thomas Hillyard a new epock in the development of Smithfield's social, economic, and industrial life.
His civic pattern: Until 1868, Smithfield's civic affairs were grafted into and stemmed from ecclesiastical authority. A city charter was authorized and an election was held to elect a mayor and five councilmen. This first election was held May 20, 1868. Incumbents to hold office for a period of two years.
Mr. Hillyard had come to Smithfield in 1865--three years prior to the first election. In that brief time he had become so favorably known in church affairs, industrial affairs, and excellent character traits that in the city election of 1870 he carried the entire count of voters, and because of his excellent record for good judgment, fairness, willingness to give time in service, amiable dispostion, vision, and economy, he was re-elected in 1872, 1874, 1876, and 1878 as a member of the Smithfield City Council.
The recorded history of those ten years as found, beginning on page 12 and running through the consecutive pages to page 100 in the minute book of the City of Smithfield, justifies this writer's statement that Thomas Hillyard was a most highly superior public official by any measruing device that might be applied. The retirement from this office of a man so competent and so well trained by ten years experience was a loss to the community. He had never attempted to use his high position nor to allow others to use their trust for personal aggrandizement or to serve their selfish interests. He adjusted his life at all times to the highest demands of good citizenship, and at the same time retain his high religious standards, He followed good civic principles as a standard of conduct and as the basis for understanding and evaluating conduct in civic office.
Mr. Hillyard's personality traits were kindness, gentleness, tolerance, generosity, honesty, frugality, industriousness, and charitable. Really, to us who knew Mr. Hillyard, he left a deep imprint on our thinking. He identified his ability with "action" and reducing to practice his motives. His officious approach to those of common phases of life has had a utilitarian purpose whether spiritual purposes or material needs.
His creative ability throve well in our communities under our united desire for freedom from oppression and has developed to an ultimate practicality. His work was not done as a hobby. His great contributions came out of the fact that he was both a clear thinker and a positive actor of good. He had a fund of theory and an abundance of mechanical genius and practical technique to carry his theories and ideas to fruition whether they be for religious augmentation, civic improvements, economic adjustment or toward sociality and social sanity; they became one in magnificent service to church or state. To him we owe a debt of gratitude; To Thomas Hillyard, the idealist, the theorist, the thinker, the pattern maker, and to Thomas Hillyard, the man of suburb action in his life's contributions to public welfare and his personal aggrandizement.
Mr. Hillyard's life (personality and character traits) was well integrated into and reflected in his works and activities--his was a life that was highly functional, positive, a well organized pattern of successful achievements.
Thomas Hillyard's Work as a City Councilman
Colaborador: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
May 23, 1870, Mr. Hillyard was elected a member of the Smithfield City Council along with Andrew A. Anderson, Preston T. Morehead, George Coleman, and Robert Meikle. That group of gentlemen fromed a most superior unit of community servants in character of accomplishments.
Mr. Hillyard served 10 years as a city councilman, giving the type of service that charted the basis and foundation of policies and clarified the direction a successful community must travel.
The City Council minutes covering that ten-year period, 1870-1880 are abundantly replete with examples of Mr. Hillyard's intellect and efficient leadership in municipal affairs.
July 1, 1870 he had the responsibility of the chairmanship of a committee of the council to list needed ordinances as a directive for council and city procedures and to codify such ordinances as they came into being. This was a tremendous task but it was so well done that codifying to date follows the pattern as "set up" by Mr. Hillyard's committee.
May 1871 Mr. Hillyard was made chairman of the Budget and Finance Committee. The City's seal is a child of his thinking and designing. There has been no change from that original seal.
Too, out of his service as chairman of the City's finances, he organized the councilmen into five service committees, similar to the current pattern.
As we read the nimutes, we find that he worked closely with his committee members, the recorder, treasurer, and mayor.
Another Pioneer Has Gone--Death and Burial of Thomas Hillyard
Colaborador: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
Thomas Hillyard died at his home in Smithfield on January 28, 1907. He leaves a loving wife, five sons, one daughter, one sister, 27 grandchildren and eight great grandchildren and many friends to mourn his demise.
He was the son of Thomas Hillyard and Elizabeth Wool Hillyard Meeks. He was born at Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England on December 3, 1831. He was baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, January 29, 1849 by Elder John Wayman and was confirmed by Elder Theoplis Cope and ordained a teacher at the same time. He was ordained an Elder by J.V. Long in 1852 and he presided over the Doddington Branch until 1854, when he came to Salt Lake City, October 11.
He lived in Salt Lake City and was ordained a seventy into the Second Quorum of Seventies by W.F. Cahoon. He took part in the Echo Canyon Camp for ten weeks against Johnson's Army. In 1858, he was engaged with President Taylor to fit out his wagons and teams. He worked at the carpenter trade and made a great many boxes for catching flour in the flour mill. After Johnson's Army came, he moved south to Prove for a while and then returned to Salt Lake in 1859. In 1860, he moved to Cache Valley. He did a great deal of work in the making of roads, and he helped to guard against the Indians and helped to build mills and factories. He lived in Richmond until 1864 and then moved to Smithfield. He worked in cooperation with the U.O. Order and all public improvements. In 1865, he was given a special mission by President E.T. Benson to stay in Cache Valley and build mills for the building up and benefit if the country and the people.
He joined the Seventeenth Quorum of Seventies and acted as one of the Presidents for a number of years until he was released on account of ill health. He was ordained a High Priest by President Samuel S. Roskelley on January 17, 1904. The funeral services were held Wednesday, January 30th, in the Tabernacle. The choir sang "Oh, That Will be Glory". Prayer was offered by George L. Farrel. The choir then sang "I Need Thee Every Hour".
Elders George Barber, C.J. Plowman, Sylvester Low, Samuel S. Roskelley, and W.K. Burnham of Richmond all spoke of the upright, God fearing life led by the deceased. All felt that in the loss of Father Hillyard, we had lost a faithful man and a wise counselor and urged his posterity to emulate the example of such a worthy leader. The choir sang, "Come and Dwell With Me". Benediction was pronounced by Bishop William L. Winn. Many beautiful floral offerings were placed on the casket.
Smithfield, January 31, 1907
Mary Ann Heaps Hillyard--Written by a granddaughter
Colaborador: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
Mary Ann Heaps Hillyard was the daughter of Mary and Thomas Heaps. She was born November 15, 1832 in Doddington Cambridgshire, Old England. Her father was employed as a clerk in the Church of England, and it was his duty to attend to all ceremonies, baptisms, funerals, christenings of children, and marriages, as well as being the Sexton. In this position he received a good salary and was able to provide a comfortable home for his family.
Grandmother received what was considered a fairly good education, and at the age of seventeen she taught a small class in her own home for one term, or during the winter months.
At the age of 20, on January 28, 1852, she married Thomas A. Hillyard. They resided at Doddinton for two years and then left their home and started for Utah. They left Liverpool on March 18, 1854. When they arrived at Liverpool they were disappointed to learn that their boat had been chartered to the Russian War, so they were obliged to take lodging at Liverpool and wait for another boat, which took three weeks. While at Liverpool, the Government allowed them one shilling per day.
On April 8, they set sail for America on the Marshfield, and after a long, tedious and yet pleasant voyage, they landed at New Orleans on May 29, 1854, having taken a little over seven weeks to make the trip.
From New Orleans, they set sail up the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers to a place where they made camp and spent a few weeks resting and preparing for their journey across the plains. While at this camping place, the cholera was very bad. Grandmother has said that it would be a common sight to see a man go with his shovel on his back to dig a grave for someone who had died and then the next day, this man would have to have a grave dug for him.
After a time, however, they had prepared for their journey across the plains, and they started with WIlliam Taylor's Company. After a long, tiresome journey, they arrived in Salt Lake City on October 11, having taken seven months to make the journey. They arrived in Salt Lake just after dark, and the dim candle lights shone out from the little low log huts. What a barren desolate country it was, and yet the Saints rejoiced to know that they had truly landed in Zion. Grandmother made the statement that to know she had reached Zion, was the most comforting and pleasing time of her life.
They lived in Salt Lake City for four years and while there, Grandfather worked at the carpenter trade. They succeeded in getting a two-room home quite comfortably furnished when Johnson's Army came upon the Saints and Grandfather was called out to stand guard. He remained on guard for thirteen weeks. It seems that Johnson's Army was determined to come into the City, so President Young advised all of the Saints in the city to move south so they could protect themselves. So they moved to Provo in May. A treaty with the Army was reached in July and the Saints moved back to their homes in Salt Lake. Grandfather, however, was working on the improving of a gristmaill for President Taylor, so they did not move back to Salt Lake until the next April.
They lived in Salt Lake until 1860 when they moved to Richmond, Cache County, Utah. While there, Grandfather and Brother Goslin built a sawmill. After they sawed one load of lumber, the mill burned down. The fire was caused by the Logger's campfire.
About this time, Richmond was surveyed into blocks and after the survey was made, Grandfather found that their house was in the street. This was quite discouraging to them, and they decided that rather than build another home in Richmond, they would move to Smithfield. This they did in 1865.
Grandfather built the first shingle and gristmill in Smithfield. Grandmother's mission seemed to be that of taking care of the sick, and her time was largely spent in this work. For a long time, she was the only doctor in Smithfield and for many days at a time she would leave her home duties in order to nurse the sick. She was never known to receive one cent for either her work or the medicine. She also worked as a teacher and a counselor in the Relief Society. She said she had enjoyed her labors, good health, and the spirit of the Gospel ever since she joined the Church.
She buried her husband January 29, 1907 and was a widow for about 6 years. She died in Smithfield on May 14, 1913 at the age of 81. She was the mother of nine children and at the time of her death, she had 34 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren.
Hillyard, Thomas and Mary Ann Heaps - on the ship Marshfield's manifest - 1854
Colaborador: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
Liverpool to New Orleans 8 Apr 1854 - 29 May 1854
Thomas Hillyard travelled from Liverpool to New Orleans 8 Apr 1854 - 29 May 1854. Read about the voyage.
Last Name - HILLYARD
First Name - Thomas
Age - 23
Gender - M
Standard Surname - HILLER
Standard Given - Thomas
Head Surname - HILLYARD
These passengers may be related:
Hillyard, Mary A. (Age: 23)
Hillyard, Thomas A. (Age: 1)
A Compilation of General Voyage Notes
"DEPARTURE OF THE MARSHFIELD. -- The Marshfield, Captain Torrey, cleared for New Orleans, April 5, with 370 emigrants, Elder William Taylor, late counselor to the president of the French Mission, being in charge of the company. Elder Gilbert Clements, late president of the Dublin Conference, sailed in this vessel."
MS, 16:16 (Apr. 22, 1854), p.249
"SEVENTY-SIXTH COMPANY, -- Marshfield, Captain Torrey cleared port at Liverpool, England, bound for New Orleans, on the eighth of April, 1854, with three hundred and sixty-six Saints on board, in charge of Elder William Taylor, who had acted as counselor in the presidency of the French Mission. Elder Gilbert Clements, late president of the Dublin Conference also sailed on this vessel. A number of the emigrants were from the Jersey Islands, of the French Mission.
After a pleasant and prosperous passage of fifty-one days from Liverpool, the company arrived in New Orleans May 29, 1854, only one passenger died during the voyage, and two children were born; also one marriage was solemnized. A number of the sailors declared themselves converted to 'Mormonism,' but none of them were baptized on board, as it had been the experience of former companies, that some of the sailors would get baptized hoping the intimacy with the Saints thus afforded might assist them in their evil designs upon the honor of the young sisters.
A portion of the company proceeded farther on the journey up the Mississippi River, May 31st, on board the steamboat James Robb; the other portion followed soon afterwards on board the Grand Turk. Both arrived safely at St. Louis about the middle of June, and thence the emigrants continued the journey on three steamboats to Kansas City. (Millennial Star, Vol XVI, pp.429-270, 297, 425, 440, 446)"
Cont., 13:11 (Sep. 1892), p.511
"Sat. 8. [Apr. 1854] -- The ship Marshfield sailed from Liverpool, with 366 Saints, including about forty from the French Mission, under the direction of William Taylor
. The company arrived at New Orleans May 29th."